PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see in your local shop

Debz89
06-Mar-08, 14:15
Doing some business research into what you orgers would like to see in your local corner shop. Is there anything that you can't buy in Thurso or Caithness that you would like to be able to buy? Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Gizmo
06-Mar-08, 14:22
How about canned Sunshine?...(shivering as i type)

henry20
06-Mar-08, 14:24
toffee waffles .................... mmm, they are to die for!

Ash
06-Mar-08, 14:25
a decent clothes shop for adults and kids, that isnt overpriced
a lingerie shop that ridicoulsy overpriced
a better toy shop

sweetpea
06-Mar-08, 14:30
ordinary brown plastic plant pots! been looking everywhere and I mean everywhere for them to plant on seedlings, poor things will be dead before I find them.

Ash
06-Mar-08, 14:32
ordinary brown plastic plant pots! been looking everywhere and I mean everywhere for them to plant on seedlings, poor things will be dead before I find them.

i seen them in woolworths the other day

sweetpea
06-Mar-08, 14:33
Really? do you mean Thurso woolies? I'll have to get up there then.

Ash
06-Mar-08, 14:34
yes i did it was saturday i saw them

sweetpea
06-Mar-08, 14:36
Great thanks for that Ash

ciderally
06-Mar-08, 14:46
know what i came accross on the local market stall here the other day...the old razor blades and razor...you know the ones that you had to screw in to the razor..and the blades used to be well handy for all sorts of things...havent seen them for years..dont think you can get them in uk now? i bought a pack of 5 blades...just a trip down memory lane..my dad used them..my grandad used an open razor...

jim shoe
06-Mar-08, 15:06
a few people is saying the toy shop in wick that closed down is getting turned in to subway

danc1ngwitch
06-Mar-08, 15:17
ok here the list begins.
I go to the local shop for clothes pegs.
They don't av em.
Lightbulbs, plenty of the ones people don't use, try the ordinary bulb.
They don't av em either.
Our local shop now has a nick name.
The junk food shop, not good but its what it gets called.
If you want to spend a tenner on sweets an chocies then ours is the place to go.
If you want to buy butter or a loaf even a box of ceral then please spend the little extra to go to town cause u will save a pound or two.
Stock the old basics, and get more of the staff to genuinely smile.
People can tell the difference when its put on to when its for real.
( must admit most of the staff are smiling in our local shop )
Put the fresh baked bread near the front, pop the sweets at the back ( will save mums money )[lol]
just a few thoughts.

Debz89
06-Mar-08, 15:26
thanks for that, its really good to hear your suggestions.keep them coming.

KCI
06-Mar-08, 15:38
I'd like to see a few vegetarian food options - e.g. No matter where I shop in Wick, I can't seem to buy the Quorn chicken style slices for sandwiches! OK, in the grand scheme of things, it's not really that important, but I really like them!

Definitely agree about the service - a cheerful shop with friendly staff will get a lot more shoppers. And if you keep sweets/toys at the back, you'll get a lot more mums coming in! :lol:

teddybear1873
06-Mar-08, 15:47
Ann Summers!!!!!!!!!!!

sweetpea
06-Mar-08, 15:51
Ann Summers!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I know, but you can have an Ann Summers party at home.;)

teddybear1873
06-Mar-08, 15:59
Oh I know, but you can have an Ann Summers party at home.;)

Males arnt allowed though at Ann Summers parties. Oh well, cant be helped.

cairnadoo
06-Mar-08, 16:20
i heard that the opticians from thurso street wick were moving down to the toy shop. at least it wont be another ckarity shop.i know this is nothing to do with What would you like to see in your local shop but someone mentioned subway

sweetpea
06-Mar-08, 16:29

Never, why not? You could always order online.

girnigoe
06-Mar-08, 16:52
i heard that the opticians from thurso street wick were moving down to the toy shop. at least it wont be another ckarity shop.i know this is nothing to do with What would you like to see in your local shop but someone mentioned subway

Subway.. yum...!

Congratulations on your first post btw. :)

Spring Flower
06-Mar-08, 17:49

Hi there

You can also buy the brown plant pots from the Castletown Garden centre - I bought mine there the other week and also the brown plastic plates for underneath.

Torvaig
06-Mar-08, 18:26
thanks for that, its really good to hear your suggestions.keep them coming.

Fresh veg from local producers! Make a song and dance about it; big posters with producers name or name of farm; there is a market out there.....

silverfox57
06-Mar-08, 20:55
hi cairnadoo a very warm welcome to the org. look forward to reading posts.:lol::lol:

Margaret M.
06-Mar-08, 21:04
Fresh veg from local producers!

Wonderful suggestion!!!

dessie
06-Mar-08, 21:23
i would like to see a decent fish and chip shop that sells mush peas....
they are hard to come by.....

Alice in Blunderland
06-Mar-08, 21:30

No but some of them may be lucky enough to have the goods modelled for them at a later time ;) :lol:

unicorn
06-Mar-08, 21:33
Definately fresh local produce, I got jam at the county show and it was beautiful. Local food always tastes better.

cuddlepop
06-Mar-08, 21:40
We've a shop in Portree that sells Isle of Skye chocolates and ice cream.

They sell other produce too,like home made organic pickel and jams.

Its very popular and does well on the internet.

Just a thought.:D

balto
06-Mar-08, 21:55
we could do with a decent kids clothes shop, as all we really have in thurso is mackays and the poor selection of clothes in woolies.

Bobinovich
06-Mar-08, 22:36
Ann Summers!!!!!!!!!!!

Ach there are plenty of better alternatives online with a much wider range ;)

Dynamic Sounds
06-Mar-08, 23:17
Fresh veg from local producers! Make a song and dance about it; big posters with producers name or name of farm; there is a market out there.....

I was in Harolds Butchers in Thurso today, and as far as I am aware, the tatties, carrots etc they sell are local. Was actually nice to buy carrots with earth still on them, and smelling like carrots should....

....Must start growing my own veg when I get a house!

mccaugm
06-Mar-08, 23:26
I'd like to see a few vegetarian food options - e.g. No matter where I shop in Wick, I can't seem to buy the Quorn chicken style slices for sandwiches! OK, in the grand scheme of things, it's not really that important, but I really like them!

Definitely agree about the service - a cheerful shop with friendly staff will get a lot more shoppers. And if you keep sweets/toys at the back, you'll get a lot more mums coming in! :lol:

They have them in Tesco...and I agree re the Veggie foods.

TBH
07-Mar-08, 00:10
a few people is saying the toy shop in wick that closed down is getting turned in to subwayWill the be running trains to the pulteney side? Depends really on the size of the shop but I suppose you could order in things for customers that you wouldn't normally stock.

KCI
07-Mar-08, 00:13
They have them in Tesco...and I agree re the Veggie foods.

Hmm - haven't seen the chicken style ones in Tesco - I've seen the ham, beef and turkey with cranberry......I know, I'm just being fussy! :lol:

SOAC
07-Mar-08, 00:30
Begin a Tim Hortons franchise. The Canadian answer to Starbucks but afordable!

Dynamic Sounds
07-Mar-08, 00:33
Begin a Tim Hortons franchise. The Canadian answer to Starbucks but afordable!

mmmm Tim Hortons......

off topic but, I loves buying donuts from the place when I have been working in Ontario in the past. Love their Dutchies, and Tim Bits :Razz

Reminds me of the fact that the canteen in the Nuclear Plant I was working at over there was a Tim Horton's Franchise. Talk about the Simpson's being true to life! Donuts in the middle of Night Shift.....

Cinderella's Shoe
07-Mar-08, 00:55
What I'd like to see is what they sell - local suppliers have a GREAT range

BUT

I'd like to see them open right through the traditional 1-2pm lunch and also saturday afternoons. When local shops close is where they lose trade to their chain competitors from the south.

SOAC
07-Mar-08, 01:34
Lunchtime closure in retail at the time when everyone else thats working has a little time to grab a bite to eat or a quick shop. Now thats modern thinking. What next - close the shop half a day in the week....;)

The world doesn't trundle by - it spins and the older I get the giddier I become.

ashaw1
07-Mar-08, 01:38
Ach there are plenty of better alternatives online with a much wider range ;)
Easy to see how you spend those cold winter evenings!

George Brims
07-Mar-08, 02:04
Living abroad, I would like to see McVities Plain Chocolate Digestives in my local shop. Well, that's today's craving, anyway!

Riffman
07-Mar-08, 15:17
Somewhere that sells:

Eley VIP 32g #6 FB