PDA

View Full Version : Local Hospitals

Jim Leslie
06-Mar-08, 10:31
Hi Everyone
I'm doing some research on Hospitals of the Highlands and I've come across references to Burnside Hospital in Thurso - seems to have been used around 1900 and handled infectious diseases. Does anyone have any information on it? when it it opened, closed? Is the building still there? or any other interesting tales!
Many thanks
Jim Leslie

sadam
06-Mar-08, 13:18
there was a hospital down along the shore where the Bishops Castle is. it was called Burnside Hospital and it was for folk with a fever. Unfortunately it is not there now.

ciderally
06-Mar-08, 14:56
used to be infectious diseases in wick ...whare the new retail park is now..

hell raizer
06-Mar-08, 15:06
mind my dad saying it was the fever hospital, i've got a picture of it upstairs but i dont know how to post pictures on here

pat
06-Mar-08, 19:49
That was and is the Town and County Hospital in Wick - used to be infectious diseases. Hospital is still there - look behind Lidl etc.
Sorry do not know about Thurso

Jim Leslie
18-Mar-08, 22:48
I've been reading Boyd's book on the History of Medicine in Caithness. he seems to imply that the Wick Town and County was the second fever hospital built (in 1910!) and that there was an earlier one called the Wick Combination?

Jim Leslie
01-Jun-08, 20:51
Would appreciate a copy of the photo. I'll be coming to Wick in the next few months. Can in get in touch before then?

domino
01-Jun-08, 23:01
I've been reading Boyd's book on the History of Medicine in Caithness. he seems to imply that the Wick Town and County was the second fever hospital built (in 1910!) and that there was an earlier one called the Wick Combination?

Ithink the Combination may have been a type of Poorhouse. They are mentioned elsewhere in Scotland