PDA

View Full Version : Moneysaving Ideas?

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 08:12
Anyone got any? Not in the sense of don't buy this....buy that etc.... but what do you all do with loose change? What's the best way of putting cash aside and knowing you're not going to spend it?

chaz
06-Mar-08, 09:16
We put loose change in a big jar, when its full we put it in the attic and start a new jar.Saved £534 last year for christmas:)

sweetpea
06-Mar-08, 09:18
If it's just loose change then I use the tins you get in the 99p shop, they have a slot but only way to get the money out is to open them with a tin opener, seems to stop me. I recently cashed in nearly £150 of 50p and £2 coins in one.
I empty my purse of change every day and throw all the dross in a basket and sort it out every few months, last time I had £90 in small coins.
I also have a pot for pound coins but they tend to get raided a bit more often. It becomes habbit.
I have separate accounts for things as well and with Lloyds you can have a 'save the change' account, basically every time you use your card it rounds it up to the next pound and puts the difference in another account, amazing how it adds up, plus you can put more in any time.

hell raizer
06-Mar-08, 10:44
we put all our change in a bottle, it helps pay for road tax and car insurance

Dusty
06-Mar-08, 10:50
Not a money saving idea but.....

Get married, your wife will then take care of your financial affairs. :eek:
(And a very good job they make of it too) ;)

MGB1979
06-Mar-08, 12:11
I saved money by putting much larger wheels on the back of my car, this way I'm always going downhill, thus saving on fuel.

Kevin Milkins
06-Mar-08, 12:18
Not a money saving idea but.....

Get married, your wife will then take care of your financial affairs. :eek:
(And a very good job they make of it too) ;)

Wifes are a bit like cars it seems, they come in all shapes and models and some more economicle than others. I think mine was built for speed.

While on the subject off saving money I would recomend to any one that owns a Landrover Discovery./ Sell it quick before it breaks down

mums angels
06-Mar-08, 13:42
we put all our loose change in jars etc and then pay it into the childrens bank accounts when they get full so it never gets spent ....raises a pretty penny for their future

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 16:50
I think I'll invest in some of thos 99p tins! Sounds good!

Julia
06-Mar-08, 17:24
snip> I have separate accounts for things as well and with Lloyds you can have a 'save the change' account, basically every time you use your card it rounds it up to the next pound and puts the difference in another account, amazing how it adds up, plus you can put more in any time.

What a great idea, I'm with Lloyds TSB, just signed up online the noo!

Here's the link if anybody else is interested...

https://secure.currentaccounts.lloydstsb.com/savethechange/register.aspx

henry20
06-Mar-08, 17:27
I think I'll invest in some of thos 99p tins! Sounds good!

They are a great idea. I've got one started so I can save up for holiday spending money.

I only put £1's and £2's in it, so hopefully once its full, I'll have all my spending money sorted :)

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 17:29
They are a great idea. I've got one started so I can save up for holiday spending money.

I only put £1's and £2's in it, so hopefully once its full, I'll have all my spending money sorted :)

Hehe! You should buy 10 of them! lol! I'm trying to think of ways I can save money, but then forget about it...kinda impossible...I'd be to busy thinking that I need to forget!

purplerain
06-Mar-08, 17:40
You could buy one of those patterned pottery jars. Its got a slot to put your change in but you can't get money out. The idea is when it's full of change you smash it to get the money out! I've got one but I havn't put money in because it's too nice to smash! I think aurora in Thurso sell them.

sweetpea
06-Mar-08, 17:41
Aye it takes a bit of doing....but really it is just habit, throw it into something as you come home, you'll be amazed at how easy it is to get into it.

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 17:43
You could buy one of those patterned pottery jars. Its got a slot to put your change in but you can't get money out. The idea is when it's full of change you smash it to get the money out! I've got one but I havn't put money in because it's too nice to smash! I think aurora in Thurso sell them.

wonder how much they are....no way I'm smashing something from aurora!!! It's like solid gold if the prices are anyhting to go bye!

sweetpea
06-Mar-08, 17:45
I've seen them ranging from £12.99 - £17.99, terryaki pots, bit pricey, they say things like retirement and shoe fund on them. I was thinking of getting a wedding one but waste really.

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 18:01
They sound like good presents....I'd probably spend more on it than actually what I'd save in it!!!

scorrie
06-Mar-08, 18:25
What a great idea, I'm with Lloyds TSB, just signed up online the noo!

Here's the link if anybody else is interested...

https://secure.currentaccounts.lloydstsb.com/savethechange/register.aspx

How much interest do you get?

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 18:45
if anyone's interested abbey do an online isa of 6.25%...?

scorrie
06-Mar-08, 22:03
if anyone's interested abbey do an online isa of 6.25%...?

Thanks for giving us some idea of the importance of interest. Jars and attics don't add interest to your money. From what I have read about the Lloyds TSB scheme, it was only any good when they matched your savings during the first two months that it was running. I have heard that the savings rate is appalling value. Get yourself an ISA that you can set up with £1 and fire in as much as you can.

balto
06-Mar-08, 22:31
we are going away on our first holiday this summer and to get spending money for the kids all 1ps 2ps 5ps are being kept in a bottle down at their grannys house so far they have £34 and that has just been since january, so they should have a nice amout each to spend on holiday.

Tristan
06-Mar-08, 23:02
Try and remember the 12, 52, 250, 365 rule to find out how much you are spending.

x12 if it is a monthly spend
x52 if it is a weekly spend
x365 if it is a daily spend
x250 if it is a work spend.

at x250 a packet of crisps and coke for a quick snack works out to over £300 per year and if you buy rather make your own lunch......well you do the maths.

This is a very good site to look around http://www.moneysavingexpert.com

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 10:45
Good thought Tristan..... and that website is well worth a look folks!

honey
07-Mar-08, 11:46

i have one of those 2, my (as good as) sister in law got me one when i was pregnant, but i dont put money in it either :lol:

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 11:49
You could always try and tip it upside down and eee if you can match up the slot with the cash....get the coins to fall back out! :)

debimac
07-Mar-08, 15:15
Try this website it gives you loads of free information on accounts,grants,you name it it is on there. AB FAB site. martinlewis moneysavingexpert.com.
DEBI X:Razz

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 15:30
cheers for that debimac!

Riffman
07-Mar-08, 15:30
I find the best way to save money for me if to invest it in something that holds it value and sell the item when I need the cash.

For example I bought a camera lens last year for £370, sold it this year for £250. That is only a £120 down, and I got a years use out of it. Renting it for a year would have cost £2,132!

I used to do the same with guitars, then traded airsoft for a few years, and I now sell photographs.

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 15:34
I find the best way to save money for me if to invest it in something that holds it value and sell the item when I need the cash.

For example I bought a camera lens last year for £370, sold it this year for £250. That is only a £120 down, and I got a years use out of it. Renting it for a year would have cost £2,132!

I used to do the same with guitars, then traded airsoft for a few years, and I now sell photographs.

Quite a risky way though surely? eg. if the item broke or was lost :( Thanks for sharing that though :)