PDA

View Full Version : teenagers bedrooms!!!!

dragonfly
05-Mar-08, 23:33
ok, I give up, how do others manage to get their teenagers (esp daughters) to keep their bedrooms tidy????

Mine thinks that a pile of dirty clothes lying outside the washbasket (which is already full to bursting point) is ok and that I am making a deal out of nothing :eek: and then theres all the make up, hair styling tools, school books, magazines.............need I go on???????????????

anyone give me any pointers as to get her/him motivated to clean up before my blood pressure reaches such a point that I blow??????????

Julia
05-Mar-08, 23:35
Takeaway the make-up and mags and it's a similar picture of my seven year old's bedroom [lol]

golach
05-Mar-08, 23:36
anyone give me any pointers as to get her/him motivated to clean up before my blood pressure reaches such a point that I blow??????????
Sit back, pour your favourite tipple, and think of the days when your Mum was saying the same thing about you :lol:, then shut the bedroom door

rockchick
05-Mar-08, 23:36
Just close the door behind you, and let the bairn be.

Unfortunately there is no power on earth that can make a teenager clean up their "nest", and you will be causing yourself unnecessary stress. Life is too short! As long as there isn't anything with a tail running around in there, that is.

Just draw the line at allowing food into the room; clothes sculptures never hurt anyone.

dragonfly
05-Mar-08, 23:39
I've done that but my liver is now beginning to suffer from all the abuse its getting and even my Mum says that I was nowhere as bad as my daughter which is praise indeed for me!

I can still remember coming home from school (house on the main route for high school kids heading home) and my Mum hurling all my clothes out of the window and onto the street when she saw me coming! think if I tried that today it would be classed as mental abuse :confused

rockchick
05-Mar-08, 23:40
Laff...in the time it took me to reply, you had two others saying the same thing!

Seriously, let it go.

My 12-year-old is a lovely girl, doing well in school and in sports...but you can't see her floor for the life of her. On cleaning days, the clothes come off the floor onto the bed...the hoover goes through...and then five minutes later the floor is covered again.

I won't let her have a friend to sleep over unless she tidies up; otherwise I let her be.

Just think about it...if that's the worst thing you ever have to complain about with your teenager...you're doing very well!!!

justine
05-Mar-08, 23:40
I dont.

..If they want to live in a messy room then it is up to them.I dont go in their room.....And if i have to they know whats on the floor goes in a bin bag...Only did that once but that was enough......;)

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 23:41
Well, I'm 16. and i keep my house tidy :)

justine
05-Mar-08, 23:42
Well, I'm 16. and i keep my house tidy :) Hope so after all that coffee making....

mums angels
05-Mar-08, 23:46
when i was young my room was always a tip and it was horrid so i always make sure that the kids have clean bedrooms ...started teaching them young (even my 2 year old helps) with sticker charts etc and they know that when the hoover comes out whats left on floor will go and if they don't keep it clean things are put in bin sacks for them to earn back at a later date ....hopefully they will keep it up into thier teens

dragonfly
yes, it is the worst that she is but she's 16 now and getting worse by the day! I've left the door shut for years with the occasional burst of rage to get her to clean it but that has no effect now - last time I threatened to throw out stuff lying around I was told that she'd report me to the police!! ooh, if smacking was still ok I'd have walloped her!

the only saving grace is that I am a great believer in Karma so I know it will be repaid on her................one day [lol][lol]

teddybear1873
Either leave there room as it is. They sleep in it anyway, or take something away from them they enjoy, whether its an ipod, mobile phone, pocket money etc etc and stick to your guns.

Aquarian Girl
05-Mar-08, 23:47
Can sympathise wholeheartedly Dragonfly. Daughter got bedroom done up as part of Christmas. New bed (double) new carpet, new wall colour, new carpet, new fitted wardrobe with mirror doors (she cannot pass a mirror) BUT
SAME MESS. Was tempted to pull the old black bag trick which has worked well in the past but instead got the brush and swept everything into one extremely large heap in the middle of the floor and left it. Heap now gone. Clothes hung in wardrobe. Bag of stuff for hospice shop. Bag of rubbish too!! Progress? I think not - will be back to normal tomorrow as soon as she has left for school. Kids eh?

dragonfly
05-Mar-08, 23:48

if you are the Rob I think you are, you will have been in her room!!!!!!!! You used to call on her to walk down to work??

golach
05-Mar-08, 23:49
In the RN before Captains Rounds,(a daily inspection of sections of the ship) a Senior Rate would go around with a large bag (The Scran Bag) and into it would go all the loose articles of colthing and uniform left lying around. The rating who left the article of clothing would have to pay a (fine) to get his clothing back, the proceeds of the fines going into the mess funds or to a Naval Charity.
Try this out at home, pick up the offending clothing, stick it in a black bin bag, then say nothing, when the teenager notices that their favourite bit of clothing has not appeared nicely washed and ironed, then and only then read the riot act to them [lol], Believe me it works

rockchick
05-Mar-08, 23:51
yes, it is the worst that she is but she's 16 now and getting worse by the day! I've left the door shut for years with the occasional burst of rage to get her to clean it but that has no effect now - last time I threatened to throw out stuff lying around I was told that she'd report me to the police!! ooh, if smacking was still ok I'd have walloped her!

the only saving grace is that I am a great believer in Karma so I know it will be repaid on her................one day [lol][lol]

Laff...the Higher Power's ultimate revenge...a child exactly like ourselves!!!

ciderally
05-Mar-08, 23:53

ah yes..but did you get the painting done???
as for teenagers bedrooms ...that advert on the telly whare she goes in with a gas mask on to collect the washing...hands it to him all nicly ironed to it land on the floor...well that was it for me, shut the door and let her get on with it...my son has just left home 18 and wanting his own space? but his room is still here all tidy and dusted just not the same would rather have it lived in and a state...so enjoy ..it wont be long before she is all grown up and out the door....xx

rockchick
05-Mar-08, 23:54
Dragonfly,

Is your daughter doing well in school? Is she well balanced, with nice friends, outside interests, not getting into trouble? Is she staying away from drink and drugs???

If the answer to the above questions is "yes"...then leave the girls room alone. It is HER SPACE...if the rest of her life is in line, then let her have it. She will probably grow out of it in time.

Learn to pick the fights that really matter.

dragonfly
05-Mar-08, 23:55
....hopefully they will keep it up into thier teens

believe me, your sweet, angelic little helpers will turn into monsters that you'll hardly recognise once puberty hits...........well mine did anyway! ;)

dragonfly
05-Mar-08, 23:58
Dragonfly,

Is your daughter doing well in school? YES VERY WELL

Is she well balanced, with nice friends, outside interests, not getting into trouble? YES AGAIN

Is she staying away from drink and drugs??? ERM, CERTAINLY NOT INTO DRUGS, BUT CAN'T SAY SHE DOESN'T HAVE A VODKA NOW AND AGAIN

If the answer to the above questions is "yes"...then leave the girls room alone. It is HER SPACE...if the rest of her life is in line, then let her have it. She will probably grow out of it in time.

it does matter though its now a mountain out of a molehill [evil]

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 23:58
dragonfly.....I'm scared.......who are you? lol!

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 00:00
Dragonfly.......this is A.S's mum??/ I just recognised you due to your dog avatar! How did you know it's me?

dragonfly
06-Mar-08, 00:02
yes I am!!! you can back me up can't you!

it wasn't hard to work out who you were, do you want a flatmate??

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 00:10
Yeah! Her daughter's room is like a bomb site!!!!

Yes she can move in....if she wants to sleep on the floor! Ha!

dragonfly
06-Mar-08, 00:13
if she moves in, you'll have no floor!!! :eek:

thanks for the backup rob :Razz

Lucy
06-Mar-08, 00:14
You have all my sympathy dragonfly. i have 2 horrendous rooms in my house - my sons and my daughters.

my brother is a single parent 21 year old son and a 15 year old daughter,and what he does is he puts everything in black bags at the bottom of the garden & they can have their things back but are not allowed to bring back in a black bag. so everything has to be unpacked in the garden and brought in bit by bit. if that still doesn't work he just removes the bedroom doors from their hinges. he tell them that if they don't respect his house why should he respect their privacy.:lol:

rockchick
06-Mar-08, 00:15
it does matter though its now a mountain out of a molehill [evil]

Does it matter, in the grand scheme of things?

Ask yourself, "What is the worst that can happen, if you do nothing?" and if the answer is only "more mess" then don't bother.

I am assuming that it's just clothes and girl gick...if it's food, pizza boxes etc. then please ignore me!

You've said she's pretty much on the ball with her life, with the possible exception of the occaisional vodka drink...so, give her ownership of this small portion of her life - her room. It's HER SPACE. As long as you don't have rats or mice running through there, why not just let her be? What's the worst that can happen? She will either decide that this is the way she wants to live her life...in which case she may always be like this...or she may get so disgusted with the mess, especially when she sees it through her friends eyes, that she will tackle it on her own.

You will have so many other battles with her...if I were you I would give her this space to do as she pleases. Unless you start picking up after her you WILL NOT WIN this one. Even if she does clean up her room to your satisfaction, if she is a true "nest maker" it will be back to its original formation 5 minutes after the clean up is finished.

Good luck!

dragonfly
06-Mar-08, 00:16
if that still doesn't work he just removes the bedroom doors from their hinges. he tell them that if they don't respect his house why should he respect their privacy.:lol:

oooh, I like that one Lucy..........<goes off to look for screwdrivers>

dragonfly
06-Mar-08, 00:21
I am on a hiding to nothing with this one Rockchick, she is a true "nest maker" theres the odd banana skin and mouldy cup or glass but nothing with tails, apart from a cat that might be trapped underneath a pile of rubbish.

My last threat to her was to upload photos of her room on Bebo but as my profile is private and I only have a few friends that was no threat, however I know her brothers password so could always use his.............hmmmmmmmmmm???

carasmam
06-Mar-08, 00:22
My poor mother used to come in search of sideplates, mugs and teaspoons when she noticed the cupboards emptying :eek: They would all be under my bed.
It will improve Dragonfly....................

When she's 35 :lol:

mums angels
06-Mar-08, 00:27
believe me, your sweet, angelic little helpers will turn into monsters that you'll hardly recognise once puberty hits...........well mine did anyway!

:eek: i do hope not , i am hoping that perseverance and regular routine will stop the rooms been a mess as teeneagers , as for them becomming monsters( well more so :lol: ) i thought thats what all teeneagers were anyway ..lol

Riffman
06-Mar-08, 00:28
Teenager's bedrooms - are only slightly more tidy that tweentie's bedrooms [lol]

Having been (being?) one of those that did not see the point in tidying up I still fail to see what the big fuss is all about.

I only see the bedroom between 11 - 7 and even then its only for sleeping in, not for wasting time trying to keep something tidy that no one except me uses.

I know where everything is, the washing gets done, nothing wrong with using up all that empty floor space!

Seriously, don't worry about it. There is nothing you can do to change it, and there is no point really. They live in it afterall, not you.

rockchick
06-Mar-08, 00:29
I am on a hiding to nothing with this one Rockchick, she is a true "nest maker" theres the odd banana skin and mouldy cup or glass but nothing with tails, apart from a cat that might be trapped underneath a pile of rubbish.

My last threat to her was to upload photos of her room on Bebo but as my profile is private and I only have a few friends that was no threat, however I know her brothers password so could always use his.............hmmmmmmmmmm???

Let me ask you this...why do you want her to clean her room then? For her sake, or because her room doesn't live up to the ideals that you have set for yourself, and your house?

Or, try turning it around...If your daughter strongly wanted you to change one of your habits (smoking, working too long, giving up something) for her sake, would you do it just because she wanted you to? I don't know if you smoke...but if you did...could you give up smoking just cuz your kids really wanted you to? Do you really have no bad habits that you can't give up?

If you want your daughter to give in to your wants/desires, why not find out what she'd like to change about you, and do a "share/share alike"? You'll give up smoking (or whatever) if she keeps her room tidy, or at least her floor visible? Doesn't sound attractive, does it?

It's not easy changing ourselves because someone else wants us to! Your daughter is a young adult, not a child. You can't just force her to do what you want. You can't blackmail her to do what you want. Her character is set...you can only be there to guide her when she wants/needs guidance.

airdlass
06-Mar-08, 00:30
I have two teenagers and their rooms are the same but at the end of the day they are happy and healthy so where's the harm in a messy bedroom! I just shut the door and let them get on with it.:Razz

dragonfly
06-Mar-08, 00:31
as for them becomming monsters( well more so :lol: ) i thought thats what all teeneagers were anyway ..lol

its exactly like it shows it in Harry Enfields "Kevin & Perry", they go to bed one night with kisses and hugs calling you Mummy & Daddy and come down in the morning with faces like fizz having lost the power of speech and can only grunt a reply and say "its not fair" :D

dragonfly
06-Mar-08, 00:38
Let me ask you this...why do you want her to clean her room then? For her sake, or because her room doesn't live up to the ideals that you have set for yourself, and your house?

cos it smells!!! dirty socks pong a bit when left for over 2 weeks!

I'm trying to keep this light hearted as possible however the ideals that i set for myself (including hubby too) are to have a home that we can be proud of as that is what we have worked towards for the last umpteen years - as Rob says its like a bomb site, not just messy, we've coped with messy for the last few years and shut the door on it, now its beyond a joke..

mums angels
06-Mar-08, 00:39
its exactly like it shows it in Harry Enfields "Kevin & Perry", they go to bed one night with kisses and hugs calling you Mummy & Daddy and come down in the morning with faces like fizz having lost the power of speech and can only grunt a reply and say "its not fair" :D

LOL my folks always used to say we were just like kevin and perry... i rememeber watching the clips and laughing my head off ... we were so not that bad ....

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 00:45
Dragonfly....Im going to tell A what you've been saying about her room! :) Only joking....I wouldn't break an orgers trust!

rockchick
06-Mar-08, 00:47
cos it smells!!! dirty socks pong a bit when left for over 2 weeks!

I'm trying to keep this light hearted as possible however the ideals that i set for myself (including hubby too) are to have a home that we can be proud of as that is what we have worked towards for the last umpteen years - as Rob says its like a bomb site, not just messy, we've coped with messy for the last few years and shut the door on it, now its beyond a joke..

I can sympathise...I've three children, two boys now off to uni, and a 12-year-old still at home.

How old is the mess-maker? If they're over 16, then you have the option of showing them the door if they don't spruce up their act. Under 16, you can either "put up and shut up" or try to bend them. Problem is, if they can live in the pong, and it doesn't bother them, they will be hard pressed to understand how it can bother you.

Do they get pocket-money or allowance from you? Can you tie cleaning their room to the release of their pocket money?

Are they athletic? You could try putting a basket-ball hoop over the laundry basket - they can practice getting "hoops" with their dirty socks/knickers.

Seriously the last thing you want is to get into a head-to-head over this, as you just won't win. You have to be smarter than they are!

Riffman
06-Mar-08, 00:55
You have to be smarter than they are!

Which is not easy when the truth is that a messy bedroom is more efficient than a tidy one.

Grabbing clothing from the floor is far more efficient than having to search draws and cupboards for it.

I should know, I have 2 built in wardrobes in my bedroom and have not needed to open either of them for 2 weeks [lol]

JAWS
06-Mar-08, 01:29
ok, I give up, how do others manage to get their teenagers (esp daughters) to keep their bedrooms tidy????
anyone give me any pointers as to get her/him motivated to clean up before my blood pressure reaches such a point that I blow??????????First the good news. From what you say I would guess that she has not taken an interest on boys yet. If you are wondering what that has to do with anything, then when she starts being immaculately turned out and everything starts getting spick and span, it is time to start worrying.

Now the bad news. You have to take a deep breath and, with very firm resolve, steel yourself. You close the bedroom door and that is how it remains. What is on the other side has ceased to exist, it is no longer there, it has become part of anther existence. If the contents of that room decide to make an escape bit then you take a firm hold of them, you open the door slightly and hurl them back into oblivion then you shut the door very quickly to prevent their escape.

Washing etc, will be made to appear at your request at a time of your choosing, failure to it to so appear means, once again that it has ceased to exist until the next time you, and I mean you, decide it is time to make use of the washing machine again.
All plaintive cries of “Mum, I haven’t got any clean ….” Or “Mum, you haven’t washed ….” Should be met with the statement, “It is your own fault, you were told to put them out for washing.” You may add, at your discretion, “If you wish I will show you how to use the washing machine for yourself.” Mine were boys so I was never brave enough to offer that option.
Any displays of weeping and wailing or gnashing of teeth should be deemed as partial punishment and should be met with grim satisfaction.

It won't be easy for you to do, being a Mum, but once you get the hang of it you will eventually be able to relax and reduce your blood pressure. Add to that the fact that, if you are very lucky, those sudden urges to partake in the age old ritual of manual strangulation may even go away all together.
It can also have great financial advantages in that you should hopefully never reach the stage of tearing your last handful of hair out thereby saving you the expense of having to purchase a good quality wig!

And now you know why my children, on a regular basis, had to be shown my parent’s Wedding Certificate, along with my Birth Certificate, to show them that they were in grave error about my parentage! :lol:

taylor.4
06-Mar-08, 01:38
When i lived at home my bedroom was a total mess,(my mum and dad can vouch for that) now my daughters is the same, my son however is alot better, but i don't touch their rooms. occasionally i will hover and put stuff that's on the floor onto their beds, but otherwise it's their space, and if they want it messy well so be, there the one's who will get a red face when they take their friends into their bedrooms and they are a total mess, otherwise i just leave them to it.

Tugmistress
06-Mar-08, 02:16
First the good news. From what you say I would guess that she has not taken an interest on boys yet. If you are wondering what that has to do with anything, then when she starts being immaculately turned out and everything starts getting spick and span, it is time to start worrying.

Now the bad news. You have to take a deep breath and, with very firm resolve, steel yourself. You close the bedroom door and that is how it remains. What is on the other side has ceased to exist, it is no longer there, it has become part of anther existence. If the contents of that room decide to make an escape bit then you take a firm hold of them, you open the door slightly and hurl them back into oblivion then you shut the door very quickly to prevent their escape.

Washing etc, will be made to appear at your request at a time of your choosing, failure to it to so appear means, once again that it has ceased to exist until the next time you, and I mean you, decide it is time to make use of the washing machine again.
All plaintive cries of “Mum, I haven’t got any clean ….” Or “Mum, you haven’t washed ….” Should be met with the statement, “It is your own fault, you were told to put them out for washing.” You may add, at your discretion, “If you wish I will show you how to use the washing machine for yourself.” Mine were boys so I was never brave enough to offer that option.
Any displays of weeping and wailing or gnashing of teeth should be deemed as partial punishment and should be met with grim satisfaction.

It won't be easy for you to do, being a Mum, but once you get the hang of it you will eventually be able to relax and reduce your blood pressure. Add to that the fact that, if you are very lucky, those sudden urges to partake in the age old ritual of manual strangulation may even go away all together.
It can also have great financial advantages in that you should hopefully never reach the stage of tearing your last handful of hair out thereby saving you the expense of having to purchase a good quality wig!

And now you know why my children, on a regular basis, had to be shown my parent’s Wedding Certificate, along with my Birth Certificate, to show them that they were in grave error about my parentage! :lol:

Sound advice and exactly what i have done with the neep! i used to stress over the state of her room, but about 2 years ago i closed the door on it never to venture in again. it's amazing what they learn to do when there's no clean clothes etc lol and yes she uses the washing machine herself now lol

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 07:31
Maybe you should cut their pocket money....and give it to me instead! :) Haha!

Moby
06-Mar-08, 08:12
Dragonfly,

Is your daughter doing well in school? Is she well balanced, with nice friends, outside interests, not getting into trouble? Is she staying away from drink and drugs???

Fantastic advice I must say!

I shut the door and ignore it (with the odd suggestion from time to time that I think maybe she should consider a wee cleaning spree).

My rule is that if the dirty clothes are on the floor that's where they stay - I will only wash what's put down to the washing machine. That works a treat after a week or so.

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 08:15
My rule is that if the dirty clothes are on the floor that's where they stay - I will only wash what's put down to the washing machine. That works a treat after a week or so.

Moby, you can save on your leccy bills this way too! :lol:

chaz
06-Mar-08, 09:13
Fantastic advice I must say!

I shut the door and ignore it (with the odd suggestion from time to time that I think maybe she should consider a wee cleaning spree).

Thats exactly what i do and all of them except the 3 year old.They do thier own ironing, funny how when they iron it it doesnt get thrown on floor!
Iv got 4 teenagers, 3 quite tidy and one who makes enough mess for the rest:lol:She cracks the others up!!

dragonfly
06-Mar-08, 10:02
she is 16
I have not given her pocket money for over 6 months now
I refuse to do her washing/ironing as it means going into her bedroom to retrieve it :roll:
she is into boys and she has taken them up to her room before now, as well as girlfriends, but they are either too polite to tell her its a mess or theirs are equally as bad and they don't think theres a problem with it
Rob16d, can you call round to see her and pass a comment on how awful it is?

golach
06-Mar-08, 10:06
she is 16
I refuse to do her washing/ironing as it means going into her bedroom to retrieve it :roll:
she is into boys and she has taken them up to her room before now, as well as girlfriends, but they are either too polite to tell her its a mess or theirs are equally as bad and they don't think theres a problem with it.
Last resort threaten to post a photo of the offending room on the Org[lol]

chaz
06-Mar-08, 10:14
Last resort threaten to post a photo of the offending room on the Org[lol]
I never thought of that,excellent idea[lol]

Penelope Pitstop
06-Mar-08, 10:39
You have all my sympathy dragonfly. i have 2 horrendous rooms in my house - my sons and my daughters.

my brother is a single parent 21 year old son and a 15 year old daughter,and what he does is he puts everything in black bags at the bottom of the garden & they can have their things back but are not allowed to bring back in a black bag. so everything has to be unpacked in the garden and brought in bit by bit. if that still doesn't work he just removes the bedroom doors from their hinges. he tell them that if they don't respect his house why should he respect their privacy.:lol:

LOL [lol]

Penelope Pitstop
06-Mar-08, 10:53
My eldest daughter's room is a bomb site. Clothes all over the floor - doesn't matter if they are clean or dirty....yuck. Have threatened her with ultimatums until I made myself ill.

On weekends when we've had stuff on and going out as a family ...to things she wanted to go to.....I'd get to the front door and ask "did you tidy your room like I asked you to.....lets go check shall we". Quick check of the room and yes you guessed ...a tip. OK I'd say get it tidy 'cause we ain't going anywhere till it is...amazing how quickly it got tidied. lol

Now I just don't go in there.

Both kids have to take their washing down if they want it done. The washing gets washed, dryed and folded, then put in their basket. If they want it ironed then they have to do it themselves. They also got to take the clean washing to their rooms and put it away (or live out the basket !!)....stopped putting it away too.

What I do now is during the week I say get your room tidy for the weekend if you want to go out....makes a little bit of difference.

Best one was about a month ago, one of her friends turned up out of the blue and went up to her room............daughter was absolutely mortified :lol:...I think that was the best thing ever...room has been kept pretty clean and tidy since....lol

When they were younger they kept their rooms much tidier and liked to help tidy them up...goodness knows what happened in between.

But as someone pointed out already it won't be long before they've left home and the rooms will be neat and tidy.....I'm sure I won't be happy then either. !!! I'm just trying to bite my tongue and savour them while I still have them at home....I'll worry much more once they've left.:~(

Bobinovich
06-Mar-08, 11:19
I'm learning a lesson here too! Ours might only be 6 & 8 (close enough before anyone corrects me!) but I'm gonna stop stressing about the state of their rooms and let them get on with it. From now on baskets of clean washing will be left outside their doors and that'll be it - I've got no other reason to go into their rooms.

I can feel the blood pressure easing rapidly - might even be able to come off my BP tablets now! :lol:

dragonfly
06-Mar-08, 11:57
I can feel the blood pressure easing rapidly - might even be able to come off my BP tablets now! :lol:

well can you pop them thru my letterbox if you are passing this way? :Razz

Well I have gone part time at work from this week so have taken the bull by the horns on my first day off and gone in there - I have taken "before" photos and I will take "after" photos but as to whether I share them and publicly shame her I'm still in two minds about, but will readily share with those I know personally so as they can judge if I have been right to complain or not - if the concensus is not then I will close the door on it, knowing it was at one time clean and vow never to return again (to her room that is!)

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 17:01
she is 16
she is into boys and she has taken them up to her room before now, as well as girlfriends, but they are either too polite to tell her its a mess or theirs are equally as bad and they don't think theres a problem with it.

Haha! As long as you don't mind me saying you told me to tell her! By the way I saw it and actually thought it was a mess too! Just threaten to stop her going on the net or using th phone!

sweetpea
06-Mar-08, 17:23
Not much you can do without stressing yourself, she won't. Only thing I'd draw the line at is if it stinks then I'd be hard faced and tear the place apart.

Margaret M.
06-Mar-08, 17:50
I like neat, uncluttered surroundings and my kids were always expected to keep their rooms tidy. As soon as I saw items of clothing where they should not be they were told to put them either in their closet or in their clothes' hamper. They each have their own neat, uncluttered homes now. I find stuff piled everywhere utterly depressing.

horse
06-Mar-08, 18:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hpUp08uWXs&feature=related (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hpUp08uWXs&feature=related)
Teenagers!
3rd Clip

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 18:43
I think you're kids are the envy of everyone on here Margaret!

obiron
06-Mar-08, 18:54
mine are 12 and 9 and i looked in it the day knew it was bad but things are getting beyond a joke in there. just shut the door and walked away. though i wont wash there clothes unless they take it down. its about time for my super serious supervised clean which they hate cos i shout a lot.

robynaus
06-Mar-08, 23:42
In the RN before Captains Rounds,(a daily inspection of sections of the ship) a Senior Rate would go around with a large bag (The Scran Bag) and into it would go all the loose articles of colthing and uniform left lying around. The rating who left the article of clothing would have to pay a (fine) to get his clothing back, the proceeds of the fines going into the mess funds or to a Naval Charity.
Try this out at home, pick up the offending clothing, stick it in a black bin bag, then say nothing, when the teenager notices that their favourite bit of clothing has not appeared nicely washed and ironed, then and only then read the riot act to them [lol], Believe me it works

Tried this golach and the bin bags now they are all married with there own homes and they are spotless but their kids are doing the same and they are looking for answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!regards all robyn

quiteone
06-Mar-08, 23:45
my daughter has been in the process of tidying her roon for about 3yrs now :lol: i say bedroom she says i know i know i know and thats how it goes. from time to time i invade armed with black bags and fill 2 wheelie bins!! its tidy for about 30mins!!! :lol:

young_fishin_neep
07-Mar-08, 00:16
Sound advice and exactly what i have done with the neep! i used to stress over the state of her room, but about 2 years ago i closed the door on it never to venture in again. it's amazing what they learn to do when there's no clean clothes etc lol and yes she uses the washing machine herself now lol

i love having a tidy room its just the pain of getting it tidy, lol, i genrally clean my room once a month or more often if i get sick of the mess, and im bad for moving my furniture round so when i do that it take a whole day and everything is done, but ... in my defence i tidy the kitchen and front room more often than my room as mum doesnt :p

kazzii xxxx

candyfloss
07-Mar-08, 10:01
I gave up years ago trying to get my oldest to keep her room tidy [disgust]
Now i just think if she wants to live in a pig sty it's up to her, she does do her own washing though.
With my other teen i tell her if she does'nt keep her room tidy she does'nt get on the computer. It works sometimes :roll:

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 10:08
Well I'm telling you.....threaten to take away the mob or internet...that'll work!

candyfloss
07-Mar-08, 10:20
My oldest has her own internet and mob that she pays for herself so i can't take them away from her :rolleyes: i wish i could :)

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 10:34
Well it will be even more of a punishment...she'll be wasting her money on internet if she can't access it...tell her you'll ask her to leave!

squidge
07-Mar-08, 11:20
Hi guys it's been a while but teenagers bedrooms!!!!!
When i found myself on my own with three boys I decided I could shout at them 24/7 and I had to decide whats important. is a tidy bedroom so vitally important its worth falling out over? I decided it wasnt. As long as the boys helped me around the house, the living room, kitchen, vaccuming, tidying,cleaning floors and washing up I decided that their bedrooms were not that much of a big deal. I close their doors and when i truly ask them to tidy them up - like when we have people to stay - they do as they are asked and the rooms are tidied. I refuse to go in to get their washing though - yuck yuck yuck. I think they learn good habits of tidiness from helping me with the housework on a weekend - they know how to tidy so if they choose their own bedroom to be a tip then thats their business. Interestingly, if their friends are coming over they will tidy it up - i have hopes that they wont live in a midden the rest of their lives

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 11:29
They only tidy it to get some street cred! :)

squidge
07-Mar-08, 11:33
Am i bovvered??? its tidy -yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 11:39
Hehe! Well as long as you don't mind your house being full of teenagers....then maybe you should invite his mates over ALL the time!

Lolabelle
07-Mar-08, 12:43
I can still remember coming home from school (house on the main route for high school kids heading home) and my Mum hurling all my clothes out of the window and onto the street when she saw me coming! think if I tried that today it would be classed as mental abuse :confused

My mum did the same! LOL, it made it easy to sort out, I just got the bin and threw what I wanted back in the window, and the rest in the bin [lol]

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 12:52
Nobody is going near any of my clothes!!!!! Congrats dragonfly for making such a popular thread!

balto
07-Mar-08, 14:26
my girls bedroom is always in a mess and they are only 7 and 10, so what you mean to tel me it is going to get worse.:roll::roll:

justine
07-Mar-08, 14:44
my teens bedroom is not to bad, they tidy it not me, but the wee ones well looks like a mass effect from horishima.......Fallout shelter i could call it,from the outside.....

candyfloss
07-Mar-08, 15:45
my girls bedroom is always in a mess and they are only 7 and 10, so what you mean to tel me it is going to get worse.:roll::roll:
Yes...............i'm afraid so.

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 15:47
Yes...............i'm afraid so.

hehe! I bet she's glad she has so much more to come ;)

balto
07-Mar-08, 16:52
[quote=rob16d;353860]hehe! I bet she's glad she has so much more to come quote]
you kidding reckon i will be leaving home and let their dad take over tidying up the room, here rob are 16 year old boys any tider as i have a 2 year old boy, so wondering if there is light at the end of the tunnel with him[lol][lol]

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 17:05
here rob are 16 year old boys any tider as i have a 2 year old boy, so wondering if there is light at the end of the tunnel with him[lol][lol]

ermmm....I think I'm the tidies 16 year old guy in the county.........I just have my head screwed on...sorry i think things'll only get messier!

dragonfly
08-Mar-08, 18:36
3 days and 7 binbags later I am finished!!!!!! This section of her bedroom was the TIDIEST (before I got stuck in that was!!!!)

BEFORE

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2234/2318156703_1b592fbf44_m.jpg

AFTER
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2186/2318331107_941fca7dd1_m.jpg

miranda
08-Mar-08, 18:45
good results dragonfly i hope it stays that way for a while ..in my daughters case usually about 4/5 days :lol:

Bobinovich
08-Mar-08, 19:02
LOL That's not dirty Dragonfly! You can still see some floor [lol]

dragonfly
08-Mar-08, 19:03
thanks Miranda :Razz even she is delighted with it but don't hold up much hopes for it staying like that much longer than tomorrow but she is under threat of severe pain if she lets it get into the same state again.

Now I am off to sort out everything for selling at the next car boot sale, might as well make a profit from my 3 days hard graft :lol:

dragonfly
08-Mar-08, 19:06
LOL That's not dirty Dragonfly! You can still see some floor

As I said that was the tidiest bit, heres a wee glimpse around the corner
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2346/2318160501_28879e5983_t.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2371/2319145668_8b8fe84026_t.jpg

rob16d
08-Mar-08, 19:40
OMG dragongfly!! It wasn't even this messy when I was over before!!! Jeeeez!!! I'm telling her on mon she should be ashamed of herself!!

golach
08-Mar-08, 20:04
Well done Dragonfly, that took some guts, I hope young madam was suitably ashamed, that the whole WWW has now seen her bedroom [lol]

rob16d
08-Mar-08, 20:09
If I know dragonflys daughter....she wouldn't be ashamed at all!

dragonfly
08-Mar-08, 20:19
dunno, she'll probably shout a bit about it tho but tough luck - next time I will link to the bigger size pics so things can be seen in detail :eek::eek:

Penelope Pitstop
08-Mar-08, 20:32
OMG Dragonfly things are worse than I thought in my house....I'm away for the bottle of wine as we speak......that "dirty" room of yours is far tidier than my daughters.....:(

candyfloss
08-Mar-08, 20:36
I would love to post a pic of my daughters room but i don't think she would ever speak to me again if i did :eek:

Penelope Pitstop
08-Mar-08, 20:37
I would love to post a pic of my daughters room but i don't think she would ever speak to me again if i did :eek:
Sometimes desparate situations lead to desparate measures.....[lol]

rob16d
08-Mar-08, 20:48
Never mind Dragonfly.....we'll just have to join forces..she'll be moaned at at school and at home!

dragonfly
08-Mar-08, 20:52

go on candyfloss, name and shame :lol:

candyfloss
08-Mar-08, 21:04
Her room is tidy tonight,but only because her mates are coming over :roll:
But i'm sure it i'll be in a mess tomorrow again.[disgust]

candyfloss
08-Mar-08, 21:08
[quote=dragonfly;354588]3 days and 7 binbags later I am finished!!!!!! This section of her bedroom was the TIDIEST (before I got stuck in that was!!!!)

BEFORE

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2234/2318156703_1b592fbf44_m.jpg

I just showed my daughter your pic and she thinks thats really tidy compared to her room [lol]

dragonfly
08-Mar-08, 21:11
definately shame her then! us mothers must revolt against our teenage horrors

ExoticQueen
09-Mar-08, 20:49
i can sympathise with you i have 3 teenage daughters and two off them are tidy and one is a horror she wont do her room so i leave it they will do it eventually so dont worry they will get fed up sleeping in a dirt pit its not worth the stress .xx:D

Angel
09-Mar-08, 23:10
saves hovering.... hell let her fill the floor... saves the carpet....

Just an Idea...

rob16d
10-Mar-08, 00:45
Hehe1 We should start room inspections

ExoticQueen
10-Mar-08, 17:39
Hehe1 We should start room inspections
want and start on my daughters room that would shake her up hehehe up 2 the challange then .:D:roll:

rob16d
10-Mar-08, 17:50
Queen...Sorry I value my health too much!