PDA

View Full Version : TV memory

teddybear1873
05-Mar-08, 22:11
Of all the times you have sit and watched television, what is the most memorable moment on tv you have seen? I have to say mine was when i woke up on a Sunday morning and the satellite was already on the QVC channel and there it said " Please turn to a news channel for a newsflash " The day Diane died. That to me sticks out more than any other, even 9/11.

unicorn
05-Mar-08, 22:16
Mine was 9/11 :~(

trix
05-Mar-08, 22:20
aye, mine wis 9/11 too :~(

anyone got any happier ones?? :roll:

nicnic74
05-Mar-08, 22:24
That day will always be rememberd by me to, i remember
switching on the telly & seeing it, i never moved from the
couch, & also Diana's funeral procession it is something i will
always remember spent the day bawling on e couch,
she was a lovely lady, it was a very sad day when she died.
She touched the hearts of millions of people

anneoctober
05-Mar-08, 22:27
In the early hours of the morning when Princess Diana died.
watching her funeral, the day after our eldest daughter got married.
9/11 was another huge shock.
one good time : Steve & matthew winning their gold medal at the Olympics.

unicorn
05-Mar-08, 22:31
the football match I watched last nite was and will be a great tv memory for me!!!!!!!

trix
05-Mar-08, 22:33
thank goddess for steve an matthew :lol:

i remember fergie gettin merried, i wis choost a little lascie then tho.....

teddybear1873
05-Mar-08, 22:34
the football match I watched last nite was and will be a great tv memory for me!!!!!!!

Haha, i hope thats because Celtic lost unicorn lol.

unicorn
05-Mar-08, 22:35
No Fenerbahce beat sevilla on penalties

trix
05-Mar-08, 22:35

no so much for me unicorn :~( :mad:

Rheghead
05-Mar-08, 22:36
The Corrie episode in which Frank Fairclough burst into Annie Walker's bedroom in the Rovers Return and complained about her complaining about the noise which his party was making was most memorable for me. That and when emily bishop's husband got killed.

trix
05-Mar-08, 22:37
Haha, i hope thats because Celtic lost unicorn lol.

soo no funny TB [evil]..........:~(

teddybear1873
05-Mar-08, 22:38
The Corrie episode in which Frank Fairclough burst into Annie Walker's bedroom in the Rovers Return and complained about her complaining about the noise which his party was making was most memorable for me.

Haha, trust you to pick a soap Rheg.

Rheghead
05-Mar-08, 22:40
Haha, trust you to pick a soap Rheg.

Nothing else in real life surprises me anymore!:p

justine
05-Mar-08, 22:40
got to be the death of John Lennon...Bit of a wierd guy but did not desrve to die for it......

anneoctober
05-Mar-08, 22:43
The Corrie episode in which Frank Fairclough burst into Annie Walker's bedroom in the Rovers Return and complained about her complaining about the noise which his party was making was most memorable for me. That and when emily bishop's husband got killed.
No, no, no Rheggy ! It was definately when Tracey whacked that good for nothing Charlie roond e heid!

golach
05-Mar-08, 22:51
The day that the shooting of J F Kennedy in Dallas was announced.

nannydip
05-Mar-08, 22:55
I will always remember watching those first horrific scenes from 9/11, will never forget that moment.
A happy event for me would be Band Aid, there had been nothing else like it and it moved me greatly.The song by the Cars that was used on Band Aid still brings a tear to my eye.

Buttercup
05-Mar-08, 23:57
The day that the shooting of J F Kennedy in Dallas was announced.

I'm with you there Golach. My dad had been very ill and as soon as the news came through my uncle was summoned to move the TV up to the bedroom so dad could catch up on the news. Also Winston Churchill's funeral (1965) ~ was off school with sore throat at the time and could never forget Princess Diana's funeral.
Strange how we tend to remember the sad occasions clearer than the happy ones. :confused
Happy memories? ~ That's difficult: Man landing on the moon (1969), Robin Cousins winning Gold at the Lake Placid Olympics (1980), Torvill & Dean at the SarajevoOlympics (1984) The Royal Weddings (1973,1981) to name but a few.

Tony
06-Mar-08, 00:09
Was quite young but do remember the the Apollo missions to the moon. They seemed to get a lot of coverage in the early days (black and white of course).

Kevin Milkins
06-Mar-08, 00:10
My faith in human nature ended when Patrick Duffy turned up in the shower in an episode of Dalas . I think lost the will to live that night.

rockchick
06-Mar-08, 00:36
1989 - Seeing folks sitting on top of the Berlin Wall, and bits being pulled down.

After growing up during the cold war in Canada, situated between the USA and the USSR, it was the most blessed sight I have ever seen.

The death of Diana was sad and shocking, but not life changing as the fall of the Berlin Wall was.

Margaret M.
06-Mar-08, 02:24
Watching the disastrous launch of the Challenger.

Highland Laddie
06-Mar-08, 03:35
For me it has to be 16th August 1977

The King died :~(

pat
06-Mar-08, 11:18
Saddest - 11 September 2001 -Chairs just been uplifted for recovering - as leaving that night to fly to Canada/USA for christening and holiday.
Sitting on dining room chair watching new 24, saying must get packing finished, footage of 1st crash into tower, then unbelieveably the second, thought first it was a hoax, then a rerun but realised it was wrong angles and different tower.
All I could think about was those folk in the aircraft and buildings.
Flew on 1st aircraft into Pearson, Toronto from Glasgow on Friday - most peole had cancelled or would not fly, a/c passengers mainly made up of people who were travelling due to bereavements (other than 9/11).

The happiest would be the Berlin Wall coming down, to have seen how folk lived on the other side was humbling, so glad to see the end of the division and being able to lead a normal life for the first time.

wifie
06-Mar-08, 12:04
Was talking about memories last night and how they are not like you see them portrayed on TV - but I have to say 9/11 for me is, sadly, the clearest memory I have. I can imagine myself back in the livingroom in the house we were in then, doing the ironing, my son at nursery, my daughter asleep upstairs and the total disbelief in my mind at what my eyes were witnessing.

Yoda the flump
06-Mar-08, 12:09
The Berlin wall being torn down in 1989 or the release of Nelson Mandela in 1990.

Penelope Pitstop
06-Mar-08, 13:59
for me got to be watching those towers fall to the ground on 9/11:(

Also, the Dunblane shootings...my eldest daughter was the same age as those kids....in primary one...my other daughter was in nursery and I was at home alone watching it develop on the telly....it just didn't seem real...

scorrie
06-Mar-08, 14:13
The Berlin wall being torn down in 1989 or the release of Nelson Mandela in 1990.

Do you remember the Blue Rinse brigade phoning the BBC to tell them to get Nelson Mandela OFF the telly and get the Antiques Roadshow back ON?

That said it all about the importance of world affairs to the British Public.

For me the 9/11 events were the most surreal and shocking. I turned the telly on as the news was just breaking and sat there for about 5 hours non-stop as the terrible affair unfolded.

Princess Diana was a shock but nothing like the same scale and she was certainly NOT the Princess of MY heart. When you get right down to it, she had been in more beds than the Silentnight tester over the years ;)

catnip
06-Mar-08, 19:55
9/11 for me also

percy toboggan
06-Mar-08, 20:15
John F Kennedy (I was eleven)

Eleven/Nine/O-One.
Indellible memories.

Kevin Milkins
06-Mar-08, 20:22
One that sticks in my mind from my childhood in the valleys of South Wales was the Aberfan disaster. I remember my mother sat watching the news and crying and she said that most of the missing children where my age at the time and it was only about 20 miles away. I seeing the men coming up the pit and digging franticly with there hands to try and find there children makes me well up thinking of it.

dessie
06-Mar-08, 20:23
yes i think the ..9/11 was very tragic for me...

Blazing Sporrans
07-Mar-08, 15:03
I remember coming in from work and telling my wife that Diana had been involved in a serious car crash, then waking up later the same day to hear she'd died. Also getting a phone call at work re 9/11 and then running to find a telly and watching in horror as everything unfolded. However, I was at home when the news of Dunblane broke and stood in front of the telly in tears when I heard what had happened...

Happier ones though are Live Aid in 1985 (often imitated, but never bettered), Nelson Mandela's release from prison and the Berlin Wall coming down - I didn't even think we'd see that in my lifetime.

balto
07-Mar-08, 16:57
mines has to be when they were looking for holly and jessica, remember watching it on sky news, it was nearly allday coverage, just the hope that they might have found these little girls alive was enough to keep me watching for hours, but sadly they didint,:(:(