PDA

View Full Version : Highland Council Renewable Energy Strategy

BOB'S YOUR UNCLE
04-Nov-05, 18:06
Has anyone seen the summary of the draft renewable energy strategy? Although I have attempted to read the full document, I was hoping for a copy of the summary. I was also VERY disappointed to find out that Highland Council have changed their minds about holding a forum on their website for people to comment on the strategy. Are people aware that HC are holding a public consultation on the draft strategy until 13 January 2006?

Goodwill
06-Nov-05, 09:49
I've read it!! Although a bulky document there's much repetition and waffle throughout. There's really only a couple of pages that actually tell you anything. The proposed renewable energy targets for 2010, 2020 and 2050 which would result in about 1000 turbines across the Highlands by 2020 and twice that by 2050. From south of Inverness following the A9/Grid line (the newly upgraded grid with massive pylons to take all this electricity away to the south) all the way to the far north. The maps are pretty rubbish but it does look like they'll manage to have turbines in sight most of the way north - and don't think you can escape them by sneaking cross country up the straths - lots proposed here too.

There are targets for other renewables - tidal, biomass, wave, offshore wind - which have the potential to generate most of Scotlands energy requirements without the need for any more onshore wind turbines but that obviously isn't enough for Highland Council. What is going on??