PDA

View Full Version : Genetic Makeup....?

justine
05-Mar-08, 12:47
Now we all know that some of our genetic makeup is the cause to alot of medical problems..
Now they are telling us that a genetic code is what makes us Miserable....Now i am not saying we should not believe it but the way people are today says theres alot wrong with our Genetic makeup.
...Can they really put our personalities down to this and how we percieve life in general...I thought that was down to what we see, hear .If it does, its explains alot....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7278853.stm

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 12:49
Surely our mental state is generally determined by environmental and social factors? I think you're right, we can't put everything down to our chromosomes!

ciderally
05-Mar-08, 13:07
"Simple things, like listing your strengths and using them in new ways every day, or keeping a journal where you write down, every night, three things that you are grateful for, have been shown to deliver improvements."quoted from your link justine.....now there is food for thought...i say my prayers everynight and give thanks for the things im grateful for does that count..xx

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 13:11
I think praying would count.....might cheer you up...why don't you let us know how you feel after praying?

ciderally
05-Mar-08, 13:14
I think praying would count.....might cheer you up...why don't you let us know how you feel after praying?
good question...i know i cant sleep unless my thanks for that day is given...

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 13:17
Justine, do YOU think praying would count? I think it would..especially if it helps you sleep!

justine
05-Mar-08, 13:38
Each to their own rob..I dont pray, well not in the sense you mean..The only thing i pray for is the end of the day when i can sit and relax after the wee ones go to bed....

Not religious..and i know i must not have gthe genetic code to make me...

Rheghead
05-Mar-08, 14:04
i say my prayers everynight and give thanks for the things im grateful for does that count..xx

One's genetic makeup is linked to one's propensity to believe in Faith etc. The rest of us in the past were liable to persecution for witchcraft etc.:lol:

porshiepoo
05-Mar-08, 15:44
I understand that our genetic makeup is one of the factors that determine how likely we are to be affected by some cancers, arthritis etc but I'm not too sure about depression or emotion etc.
I would have thought that these would be more down to environmental factors? Although, if the way we experience emotional stress can be determined by our genetic makeup then I guess depression could be a result of that genetic code???!!!!??? All very confusing! :lol:

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 15:54
Porshiepoo, I am SO confused too! Let's go to confused.com!

porshiepoo
05-Mar-08, 15:56
Porshiepoo, I am SO confused too! Let's go to confused.com!

:lol: Yeah and confuse them too. :lol:

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 16:02
:lol: Yeah and confuse them too. :lol:

Haha!

We will overload their puny little server....no match for our confusedness!

router
05-Mar-08, 22:11
i share a lot of traits from both my parents so it is quite feasable that other traits can be passed on

kalinka
05-Mar-08, 22:57
It has to be a mixture of both doesn't it? I mean, what if you were born with all the happy genes but a string of disasters happened to you, losing your money, job and home, becoming ill, family members dying etc. Frankly if you were happy after all that you'd be daft. Likewise even if you have a predeliction to be a misery guts it's more likely to come out if you have bad things happen to you than if you have a lucky and charmed existence.

justine
05-Mar-08, 23:01
It has to be a mixture of both doesn't it? I mean, what if you were born with all the happy genes but a string of disasters happened to you, losing your money, job and home, becoming ill, family members dying etc. Frankly if you were happy after all that you'd be daft. Likewise even if you have a predeliction to be a misery guts it's more likely to come out if you have bad things happen to you than if you have a lucky and charmed existence.

Good point..but some is slightly of the mark...You are right in saying it has to be a mixture..But my parents both alive still but they are the most untrustworthy, dishonest malicious people i have ever had the undignity of knowing...I am nothing like them..I dont think like them nor do i want to, i had a bad time of things and believe me given the chance i would probably not have come through if i was like them, but because i am not, i made it....

kalinka
05-Mar-08, 23:06
Good point..but some is slightly of the mark...You are right in saying it has to be a mixture..But my parents both alive still but they are the most untrustworthy, dishonest malicious people i have ever had the undignity of knowing...I am nothing like them..I dont think like them nor do i want to, i had a bad time of things and believe me given the chance i would probably not have come through if i was like them, but because i am not, i made it....

Perhaps their example made you more determined to be the opposite...I think it can work that way too.

justine
05-Mar-08, 23:07
Perhaps their example made you more determined to be the opposite...I think it can work that way too.
thats exactly it...Mty genetic code says i am like my father, he was honest at one time but unfortunately a lifetime married to my mother distroyed any hope of him succeeding in life...but it does show not all genetic codes reflect our being...