PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Chefs

karia
05-Mar-08, 11:11
Celebrity chefs...love 'em or loathe 'em we all seem to have strong opinions about them.

Does Delia drive you to distraction?

Is Jamie too Jolly...and Gordon too gruesome?

......and what about Nigella? ;) (there may be a gender divide here)

Personally I like Nigel Slater and Rick Stein but Ainsley Harriot and Gary Rhodes leave me cold.

WeeBurd
05-Mar-08, 12:28
Morning Karia.

Mr Burd and I enjoy watching Gordon Ramsey (more so in his troubleshooting/consultation progs), but Jamie is just a twurp nowadays, can't be doing with him.

Occasionally we'll tolerate Hugh Fearnley Whats-his-name, just because his completely bizarre and will eat anything that sits on a shovel! [lol]

I actually quite like the food Nigella creates - I just can't stand all the pouting and suggestive poses to camera <baulk>.

ciderally
05-Mar-08, 12:30
dont watch many of them , but saying that i do like jamie....wonder if all these chefs make fancy dinners every night?

karia
05-Mar-08, 12:46
[quote=WeeBurd;352076I actually quite like the food Nigella creates - I just can't stand all the pouting and suggestive poses to camera <baulk>.[/quote]

Aw weeburd...do you mean to tell me you don't spend your evenings draped around the fridge door dipping your fingers in the creme fraiche?;)

kx

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 12:59
I can't be bothered with gordon ransay! Jamie oliver isnt as annoying though

karia
05-Mar-08, 13:06
Jamie oliver isnt as annoying though

Bish, Bash, Bosh....Pukka!;)

Get your point rod.:lol:

NickInTheNorth
05-Mar-08, 13:13
I like Jamie's attitude to food, and the fact that he doesn't insist that you need to measure to the last gramme!

Gordon as seen on telly is very entertaining - I love Kitchen nightmares. However most of his programmes no longer show what an absolutely brilliant chef he is.

Delia and Nigella both make me want to puke.

Gizmo
05-Mar-08, 13:19
Keith Floyd is the king of celebrity Chefs, a fantastic Chef and brilliant to watch, he's like that daft old uncle everyone has that is funny, drinks too much and makes a fool of himself with his dancing at weddings :)

Nigella Lawson is great as well, she just makes cooking soooo sexy.
I never really used to have a problem with Jamie Oliver until a few years ago when he started doing the Sainsburys tv ad's....then he just really started to get on my nerves, he's so over animated that you just want to give him a slap.

Gordon Ramsay used to be fantastic, he's still one of the best Chefs this country has ever produced but now i feel he's just all about 'Putting on a show for the camera' and he has become a cliche' of what he used to be.

floyed
05-Mar-08, 13:21
I would have to say Gordon Ramsey he is sooo funny!! I think he is great on Ramsey's kitchen nightmare's.

He's not bad looking either;)

balto
05-Mar-08, 15:28
i must say i enjoy watching ready steady cook with ainsley harriet cant really be bothered wathing the rest.

WeeBurd
05-Mar-08, 17:01
Aw weeburd...do you mean to tell me you don't spend your evenings draped around the fridge door dipping your fingers in the creme fraiche?;)

kx

If I did, I fear it would be marketed as "Diet TV - will put you off food for GOOD!", lol [lol]!

percy toboggan
05-Mar-08, 17:35
I avoid all of thes epeople wherever possible. Have never watched a cookery programme on the telly all the way through. Delia Smith makes sense on the radio when I listen to her....all the others could be dropped in the middle of the Minch for me. The foul mouthed one is particularly obnoxious and looks like one of those floppy skinned Chinese dogs. (Shar-pei)

Thumper
05-Mar-08, 17:42
Marco Pierre White!He could cook for me anyday ;) x

karia
05-Mar-08, 17:58
Marco Pierre White!He could cook for me anyday ;) x

Oooh you wanna be careful there thumps....I hear he has a brilliant recipe for rabbit stew (with a french accent ..naturellment!):lol:

kx

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Mar-08, 18:03
I like Gordon Ramsay.He tells ye it straight.If ye dinnae like his cookin then......ahhh the way the moderation is going I'm no gonnae say it.Obviously a guy who has worked with some of the best and LEARNED from it.Thats the best about any trade,learn and ye will get better.Like Gordon he's honest.

Thumper
05-Mar-08, 18:11
Oooh you wanna be careful there thumps....I hear he has a brilliant recipe for rabbit stew (with a french accent ..naturellment!):lol:

kx

Hmmnn...I have kinda gone off him now [lol]x

scorrie
05-Mar-08, 18:36
I think most of them are over-rated and talentless. Cooking is not particularly difficult. Heston Blumenthal makes a real science out of it but most of it is common sense. Looking at recent Masterchef contenders I had to feel that I could have done better myself than many of the early contenders and even the later rounds saw howling errors with badly undercooked food.

Ramsay is OK, he is a true chef, but he has a forehead like a sliced loaf and is a bit foul-mouthed to the extent that it distracts. Jamie Oliver is an over-rated Pap. Rick Stein is an opinionated slever. Delia Smith is "coddled eggs on toast" in actual talent terms. In the words of Gordon Ramsay, Anthony Worrall-Thompson is a "Telly Tubby and incompetent chef". The others leave me pretty cold but I would let them all in ahead of Ainsley Harriot. He's annoying and talentless, couldn't get a job in an NHS kitchen and would probably struggle with boil-in-the-bag Cod in Butter Sauce.

My favourite anecdote on Ainsley is the one from when his own brand of sausages was released. There was a picture of Ainsley about to take a bite out of one of his sausages alongside the cooking instruction from the packet. The legend read "Trick with a fork", the newspaper's comment read "Harsh BUT Fair"

Please substitute T with P at the appropriate point

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Mar-08, 18:44
Anyone remember Giuseppe Di Sotto, the first British(-Italian) celebrity chef?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Mar-08, 18:50
Cooking to me is in your own hoose.Cook what ye want.Ramsay speaks to me on the telly the way I want to improve my cooking.The rest seem a bit flimsy and too nicey.I have always liked the way of things where ye say "Yes sir,no sir" rather than"dae ye really think so........och,I don't know?"

karia
05-Mar-08, 19:10
Forgot about the brilliantly versatile and voluble Hairy Bikers..'why aye man!':D

James Martin on Saturday kitchen with his wee sideways flirtation with the camera and that daft 'speed omelette' challenge...annoying.:roll:

Sporran
05-Mar-08, 19:27
I avoid all of thes epeople wherever possible. Have never watched a cookery programme on the telly all the way through. Delia Smith makes sense on the radio when I listen to her....all the others could be dropped in the middle of the Minch for me. The foul mouthed one is particularly obnoxious and looks like one of those floppy skinned Chinese dogs. (Shar-pei)

LOL, Percy, that's what I've always thought Gordon Ramsay looks like too! :lol: I also find him obnoxious with his sharp (Shar Pei! ;)) tongue and expletives.

I'm willing to bet that, like me, you remember Fanny Cradock and her husband Johnnie on BBC, though, Percy! :-)

karia
05-Mar-08, 19:40
I'm willing to bet that, like me, you remember Fanny Cradock and her husband Johnnie on BBC, though, Percy! :-)

Hi Sporran,

Poor ol' Johnnie...the collective heart of a nation bled for that man!

Watched a programme of their life together... Fanny was played by the splendidly vicious Julia Davies can't remember who played Johnnie so he played it well!:lol:

Apparently when he was dying in hospital she refused to go and see him on the grounds that it would be 'unpleasant' for her!:eek:

percy toboggan
05-Mar-08, 19:47
Indeed Sporran...I remember Fanny.
Just about.
I think we're on a wavelength you know.

Oh yes, and poor old Johhny. The henpecked hubby....
..I've rashly agreee to cook a meal over Easter for guests..
maybe I should dip into Fanny's archive.

NickInTheNorth
05-Mar-08, 19:49
James Martin on Saturday kitchen with his wee sideways flirtation with the camera and that daft 'speed omelette' challenge...annoying.:roll:

Utterly talentless self publicising arrogant idiot!

I was unfortunate enough to work with him way way back (when he really was a wee nothing!) I only stayed there 2 weeks.

Then I was a guest on a TV programme he was doing the celebrity chef slot on a couple of years ago. He walked in 2 minutes before on air to see what had been prepared for him to present.

Walked out 30 seconds after the cameras were off him.

In the whole time on set he spoke to "his" producer and the microphone. Great arrogant lump!

That apparently was a good day!

Dusty
05-Mar-08, 19:57
Karia,
Marco Pierre White is from Leeds, his mother was Italian.

Apparently, there was one occasion when he met Prince Charles who addressed him in Italian and Marco is reputed to have replied "I'm from Leeds mate".

Don't know if it's true or not but it's one that does the rounds with young chefs.

My son has worked for Gordon Ramsay and says what you see on the TV is the real him.
At Ramsay's Maze resaurant my son answered the kitchen phone and it was Mr Ramsay who asked who he was speaking to. My son replied with his name and Ramsay then asked how he was doing in a manner that suggested they were old friends. My son replied that he was only a Chef de Partie and asked who did Mr Ramsay wish to speak to.
The reply was along the lines of "I'm speaking to you, I dont give a (expletive) what you do ,now how the (expletive) are you? :eek:

NickInTheNorth
05-Mar-08, 20:01
Karia,
Marco Pierre White is from Leeds, his mother was Italian.

Apparently, there was one occasion when he met Prince Charles who addressed him in Italian and Marco is reputed to have replied "I'm from Leeds mate".

Don't know if it's true or not but it's one that does the rounds with young chefs.

Indeed it is. One of Marco's first jobs was at the Box Tree, a very well regarded restaurant in Ilkely, about 20 miles outside Leeds.

obiron
05-Mar-08, 20:03
i like gordon ramsey. cant stand anthony worral-thompson rubbish cook. nick nairn is ok.

teddybear1873
05-Mar-08, 20:11
Who remembers Franny Craddock being on the box? I mind watching her when i was a wee bairn.

catnip
05-Mar-08, 20:20
I like Nick Nairn.

justine
05-Mar-08, 20:22
Two fat Ladies do some good recipies......

Also anthony worrell thompson...have a book from both...

Margaret M.
05-Mar-08, 20:26
I have not seen much of Jamie Oliver but he is a judge on Oprah's new Big Give show. Robert Irvine, the English chef has just been fired by the Food Network for embellishing his resume. His claims to have designed Charles and Diana's wedding cake, worked on the Royal Yacht Britannia and in the White House were all greatly exaggerated. Seems like they would have checked his accomplishments before giving him his own show.

Sporran
05-Mar-08, 20:28

Just about.

Good luck with that Easter dinner, Percy! :-)

Hi Sporran,

Poor ol' Johnnie...the collective heart of a nation bled for that man!

Watched a programme of their life together... Fanny was played by the splendidly vicious Julia Davies can't remember who played Johnnie so he played it well!

Apparently when he was dying in hospital she refused to go and see him on the grounds that it would be 'unpleasant' for her!:eek:

Poor ol' Johnnie indeed - made to suffer right to the very end! Perhaps Fanny was afraid her heavy makeup would run if she started crying! :roll:

George Brims
05-Mar-08, 20:40
I like Ramsay because he comes across as real. Despite the harsh words (which I actually find enormously entertaining!) he is a big softie underneath. One of the contestants on the US version of "Hell's Kitchen" was a young mum of six who was obviously talented but untrained. When she was eliminated from the show (about 4th from the win I think) he told her he was going to fund her to go to a proper cooking school.

Don't think I've ever seen most of the others although the Nigella creature has appeared over here. I've never been able to get past the tabloid pictures of her in her younger days when she was a notorious "Sloane Ranger".

Oh I have seen the "Ready, set, cook" guy. I didn't realise he was a chef. I thought he was just a TV compere.

Fanny and Johnny. Classic bad TV. Just hilarious. You had to give it to Johnny, if I was married to that woman I would have been as self-medicated as him, every chance I got.

Favourite Fanny moment. She's on "Nationwide" making donuts. She goes a wee bit over her time, so Michael Barratt has just a few seconds to wind up before the credits roll. He says something about the donuts smelling delicious, and then "I hope your donuts turn out like Fanny's". Barratt denies that ever happened, and it's often listed as an urban legend, but *I saw it live* with a roomful of other people.

Boozeburglar
05-Mar-08, 20:42
Just about.

Will you be serving up single entendres for pudding?

Lolabelle
05-Mar-08, 20:48
I love the 2 Fat Ladies, not sure about eating anything they'd cooked though, all those long painted fingernails heaving with bacteria is all I could think of.
I used to like Jamie, till he started that live thing, he just got silly then.
Nigella has some great recipes, and I like the way she has the odd midnight snack. And isn't a skinny minny. But the posturing and pouting needs to be overlooked. Sexy it isn't.
I like Hugh Fernly Whitingstall?? (not sure if that's his name), but not so much his cooking, same with John Burton Race.
I quite like Rick Stein too.
I just love the lifestyle channel, anything, DIY, gardening, cooking and wife swap!!!

Ricco
05-Mar-08, 20:58
Celebrity chefs...love 'em or loathe 'em we all seem to have strong opinions about them.

Does Delia drive you to distraction?

Is Jamie too Jolly...and Gordon too gruesome?

......and what about Nigella? ;) (there may be a gender divide here)

Personally I like Nigel Slater and Rick Stein but Ainsley Harriot and Gary Rhodes leave me cold.

I really like Jamie's style and his cooking. Nigella? Simply lust! ;)

Sporran
05-Mar-08, 21:37
Of all the celebrity chefs mentioned, I'd say Keith Floyd is my favourite. I have enjoyed his programmes the most.

Kevin Milkins
05-Mar-08, 22:58
Two fat Ladies do some good recipies......

Also anthony worrell thompson...have a book from both...

I also enjoyed 2 fat laddies , It was a sad day in June 1999 that Jennifer Paterson died in her sleep of cancer that she had no pain from. I am now reading the book by her partner in the series Clarissa Dickson Wright called spilling the beans. Its can be hard work ,but talk about living life to the full.
She was the youngest woman ever to be called to the bar at 21.

karia
05-Mar-08, 23:03
She was the youngest woman ever to be called to the bar at 21.

And by her own admission she propped it up too long and had one too many!;):lol:

Kevin Milkins
05-Mar-08, 23:20
And by her own admission she propped it up too long and had one too many!;)
Thats brill. At last sombody that likes the same sense of humor as me .LOL Thank you for little ditty karia

Isis
05-Mar-08, 23:28
I think most of them are over-rated and talentless. Cooking is not particularly difficult. Heston Blumenthal makes a real science out of it but most of it is common sense. Looking at recent Masterchef contenders I had to feel that I could have done better myself than many of the early contenders and even the later rounds saw howling errors with badly undercooked food.

Ramsay is OK, he is a true chef, but he has a forehead like a sliced loaf and is a bit foul-mouthed to the extent that it distracts. Jamie Oliver is an over-rated Pap. Rick Stein is an opinionated slever. Delia Smith is "coddled eggs on toast" in actual talent terms. In the words of Gordon Ramsay, Anthony Worrall-Thompson is a "Telly Tubby and incompetent chef". The others leave me pretty cold but I would let them all in ahead of Ainsley Harriot. He's annoying and talentless, couldn't get a job in an NHS kitchen and would probably struggle with boil-in-the-bag Cod in Butter Sauce.

My favourite anecdote on Ainsley is the one from when his own brand of sausages was released. There was a picture of Ainsley about to take a bite out of one of his sausages alongside the cooking instruction from the packet. The legend read "Trick with a fork", the newspaper's comment read "Harsh BUT Fair"

Please substitute T with P at the appropriate point

I agree with a lot of this. Especially about Ainsley. I think Jamie is OK and i think his books are good, but yeah he is overated.

Gordon Ramsay is genius though in terms of what he does.

I like Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall but he maybe went a bit OTT in his last series. But I like the river cottage 'meat' and 'fish' books a lot. well worth getting.