PDA

View Full Version : Petition for a new Wick High School

Venture
05-Mar-08, 08:42
Wick High School is not fit for 21st century education and its pupils are being treated as second class citizens. As a parent how do you feel about this statement and were you aware of just how bad a state the school is in as revealed in the press today.

blackcat
05-Mar-08, 08:48
Wick High School is not fit for 21st century education and its pupils are being treated as second class citizens. As a parent how do you feel about this statement and were you aware of just how bad a state the school is in as revealed in the press today.

Wick and Thurso High School should be replaced!

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 08:51
I don't know what Wick High is like....but Thurso High needs an overhaul....physically and in terms of some of the teaching staff and their standards....this is coming from someone who has first hand experience!

ashaw1
05-Mar-08, 11:17
I don't know what Wick High is like....but Thurso High needs an overhaul....physically and in terms of some of the teaching staff and their standards....this is coming from someone who has first hand experience!
Exactly the same as Wick High then!

Venture
05-Mar-08, 11:20

Have a look at today's Caithness Courier Rob and see for yourself. As to Thurso High School's teaching staff and their standards it might be better if you spoke to the rector if you're not happy.

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 11:21
Yeah, I didn't think one student's opinion would be enough to make a difference (sorry for the cliché!)

Venture
05-Mar-08, 11:26
Sorry Rob can you explain your last post.

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 11:29
Sure - you suggested voicing concerns to the rector....I thought she'd turn a blind eye to me since I'm just A student...perhaps we should start up a petition for Wick High...you would have a LOT of folks behind you!

Venture
05-Mar-08, 11:51
You have every right as a pupil to speak up if you're not happy. How is the rector going to know if there is a problem if you don't tell her? Getting back to the main subject of this thread which is the terrible state of Wick High School, thanks for your support. Your idea of the petition sounds good.

ANNIE
05-Mar-08, 11:54
thought it was a dump when i was there 25 years ago but my god this takes the biscuit

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 12:45
Right.......Venture....how about writing to the school and showing concern and asking for a petition to be handed out to all parents/pupils?

Venture
05-Mar-08, 13:21
Thanks Rob the Parent Council will be putting a petition together.

Although I aimed my first post on this thread at parents of pupils at Wick High School NOW can I just remind everyone that if you have children of any age whether you are in Wick, Lybster, Dunbeath, John O'Groats or any part of the catchment area for Wick High School, this concerns you too. your children will be attending in the future. There is only one High School to choose from.

The Parent Council need the support of the whole community and with this in mind we have asked Bill Fernie to make the power point presentation given at the meeting available on Caithness.org. The Courier only covered a small part of the problem. The bigger picture has to be seen to be believed.

Penelope Pitstop
05-Mar-08, 15:12
rob16d if you're a student, why aren't you at school??? lol[lol]

porshiepoo
05-Mar-08, 15:17
I would imagine that Wick and Thurso rectors are both fully aware of the problems with the buildings but without funding what can they do?
Instead of moaning and suggesting new buildings, why not start some kind of fundraising events to modify what can be modified???

I understand what people are saying about the state of the schools, I just don't know what you think complaining to the rectors is going to do!

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 15:22
Penelope, we DO have computers at school in the library - we aren't THAT bad! :)

Venture, I'm glad you've organised this, even though - like I said - I don't go to Wick High, I am in full support!

balto
05-Mar-08, 15:23
i saw the pics of wick high in the paper today and if that is just a small part of the school then the education board needs to get its finger out and get it sorted.

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 15:34
The online article:

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/4138/Wick_High_slammed_as_'depressing_dump'.html

justine
05-Mar-08, 15:50
Ive been in wick, have a daughter in 2nd yr....To be honest it is slightly outdated..But all in all i dont see it all the time so it may have been in worse conditions..But venture you are right, thats what a parent council is for...Good luck...

porshiepoo
05-Mar-08, 15:54
O Eck! I hadn't read that till now. :eek:
IMO Wick High is a fantastic school and both my kids enjoy their time there BUT it does seem to need rather extensive immediate repair doesn't it!

I still don't know how that will happen though, there will always be one excuse after another as to why it cannot be funded, my previous suggestions of fund raising could have been a tad .......... unrealistic!

It would be such a shame for the school to be relocated though. Wick High building has such historical relevance to the area, it would be criminal for it to turn in to another rack and ruin that we see popping up all too often.

Venture
05-Mar-08, 15:55
I would imagine that Wick and Thurso rectors are both fully aware of the problems with the buildings but without funding what can they do?
Instead of moaning and suggesting new buildings, why not start some kind of fundraising events to modify what can be modified???

I understand what people are saying about the state of the schools, I just don't know what you think complaining to the rectors is going to do!

Glad youve looked at the article now Porshiepoo. I said for Rob to speak to his rector because he was complaining about the teachers at Thurso High School. The thread is about the state of the fabric of Wick High School which is nothing to do with the rectors. HRC is the landlord and responsible for the building. Fundraising can only be put towards additional items for within the school. Anyway we're talking millions here not thousands. Im glad you think Wick High is a fantastic school all the more reason for joining our campaign.

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 15:58
i know what you mean porshie...it's about the people in it...not the place itself...ALthough the setting can affect people detrimentally...

Gizmo
05-Mar-08, 16:09
So says the Caithness Courier....i say..whats new?...haha

It was a depressing dump when i was there over 20 years ago.....awww...such fond memories of freezing cold classrooms and prehistoric teachers who were terminally frustrated with the fact that they were no longer allowed to beat you senseless with a cane or belt...those were the days :)

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 16:13
freezing cold classrooms and prehistoric teachers who were terminally frustrated with the fact that they were no longer allowed to beat you senseless with a cane or belt...those were the days :)

Haha! Sounds highly reminiscent of thurso high!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Mar-08, 16:18
Sounds like my Ayrshire school too.Schools are depressing dumps.Except for the art classes.Thats where the magic is.One teacher who brought an interest to me that I had never had much to do with outside colouring in books.The only teachers in ma school who asked you to call them by their first names and not as Mr or Miss/Mrs...?

porshiepoo
05-Mar-08, 16:20
It's a case of balance I suppose.
I want to know my kids are safe at school obviously but neither of my kids have made any complaints or comments about the schools appearance (and believe me, they'd tell everyone if they had a problem with it).
I think it's unrealistic to think the current Wick High building is ever going to be a perfect modern building. IMO we need to have a clear idea of what improvements are needed to bring the building up to an acceptable standard.
I've been in the school many a time and actually thought it to be a very nice place. Yes, it can be cold but TBH any school of this type of building is going to have heating problems.
If the attitude of the teachers and receptionists are of a warm manner when someone enters then it can make even a cold building seem inviting.

I agree improvements are necessary, but we do have to be realistic about what can be achieved and also what is necessary rather than desired.
Educational facilities and resources will hands down for me every time.

blackcat
05-Mar-08, 16:27
It's a case of balance I suppose.
I want to know my kids are safe at school obviously but neither of my kids have made any complaints or comments about the schools appearance (and believe me, they'd tell everyone if they had a problem with it).
I think it's unrealistic to think the current Wick High building is ever going to be a perfect modern building. IMO we need to have a clear idea of what improvements are needed to bring the building up to an acceptable standard.
I've been in the school many a time and actually thought it to be a very nice place. Yes, it can be cold but TBH any school of this type of building is going to have heating problems.
If the attitude of the teachers and receptionists are of a warm manner when someone enters then it can make even a cold building seem inviting.

I agree improvements are necessary, but we do have to be realistic about what can be achieved and also what is necessary rather than desired.
Educational facilities and resources will hands down for me every time.

All upgrades, new buildings etc seem to be happening in and around the Inverness area.http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon9.gif

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 16:29
All upgrades, new buildings etc seem to be happening in and around the Inverness area.http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon9.gif

Prob just because the high pop. It's not fair...we all need equality and services supplied....regardless of geographical location!

Invader
05-Mar-08, 17:19
The place was a tip when I attended over 20 years ago.

The front part of the building was like a Victorian assylum, big holes in the walls, with lath & plaster showing through, radiators that last saw service in WW2, and stairwells and doorways totally unsuitable for the amount of traffic it saw every 40 minutes.

Bullying, drug and alcohol use was rife, and the pupils were just as bad!

The swimming pool was the only feather in the school's cap, and if even this has been allowed to fall into disrepair, then there is not a lot going for it.

I cannot pass judgement on the current state of the school, as I have not set foot in the place since the day I left, but God help the kids of Wick, if the rot has continued.

elastic band
05-Mar-08, 17:20
fully support the idea of fundraising and as parents think we should also take some responsibility for this -after all the school should be at the heart of our community and it would help to portray positive messages about education and committment.

just one point -we have had 2 children through Wick High and have got one currently going through and we have absolutely no complaints about the teaching they have either had or are currently receiving.

any time we have wished to discuss anything with Mr Traill we have found him to be supportive, encouraging and enthusiastic -none of which can be easy under negative and potentially difficult circumstances as he faces.

i think it's a wonderful idea for our community to stand behind Wick high -our children deserve an education which will equip them for the challenges ahead.

Big hughie
05-Mar-08, 19:13
"fully support the idea of fundraising and as parents think we should also take some responsibility for this"

Hmmmm are you not doing enough fund raising with your tax revenues????? The school building had problems when I was there in the early 70s and it appears to be horrendous now but a lot of that must be put down to a lack of spend on maintenance over the last twenty years ..the present situation just didnt happen all at once A lot of money has been wasted by the Highland Council over the years who seemed to deem education below twinning events ,campaigning to make Inverness a city firework events etc etc and more locally a new council building for Wick .
Beeg Hugheeeeeee

Alice in Blunderland
05-Mar-08, 19:47
The only comment I can give on this is ......

3.5 million pound to keep 130 council staff happy in a nice modern clean working place in their new office in a lovely listed building near Golspie. :confused

That would have gone a long way if had been shuffled around and spent between Wick and Thurso High school to improve th environment for almost 2000 pupils......... but hey they are only kids and no-one wants to give them anything new or invest in their future not while they are living this far north Disgraceful. IMHO

dirdyweeker
05-Mar-08, 20:31
Heard from my son today (who is a WHS pupil) that his swimming lesson had to be cancelled. The school swimming pool is to be closed for 3 weeks to carry out repairs! By the description in todays paper I am surprised they have enough money to be able to repair all of its problems.
I think the teachers deserve great praise for trying to teach in such a place. It must be sooo depressing for pupils and teachers alike.
Where is the Health and Safety??

KitKat
05-Mar-08, 20:39
Heard from my son today (who is a WHS pupil) that his swimming lesson had to be cancelled. The school swimming pool is to be closed for 3 weeks to carry out repairs! By the description in todays paper I am surprised they have enough money to be able to repair all of its problems.
I think the teachers deserve great praise for trying to teach in such a place. It must be sooo depressing for pupils and teachers alike.
Where is the Health and Safety??

My understanding is that the pool is closed full stop. It will not be opened again (if ever) until Highland Council make the neccessary repairs to bring it up to acceptable standards.

So if you can't afford to take your children swimming in the local pool, they are not going to be able to learn to swim in the High School of a seaside town.

However you will be able to read the names of your local town and village signs in Gaelic as apparently there is money in the pot for that.

Royster1911
05-Mar-08, 20:44
When (if) they do a big spend on Wick or Thurso High School, remember that the cash allocated to the primary schools in both towns AND rural areas will be reduced (wiped out). Therefore, the structure of these buildings will also go into a ruenous state over the years. Catch 22 methinks.
Good luck to the Parents committee in WHS but I wont hold my breath.:~(

Alice in Blunderland
05-Mar-08, 20:45
My understanding is that the pool is closed full stop. It will not be opened again (if ever) until Highland Council make the neccessary repairs to bring it up to acceptable standards.

So if you can't afford to take your children swimming in the local pool, they are not going to be able to learn to swim in the High School of a seaside town.

However you will be able to read the names of your local town and village signs in Gaelic as apparently there is money in the pot for that.

Not me I wont be able to read the signs as I dont understand one word of the Gaelic

I can however swim and so can my kids who go to the High School .......:lol:

Now who has a spare room as once Weeboyagee sees this statement I think I may be looking for a new roof over my head

Alice in Blunderland
05-Mar-08, 20:47
When (if) they do a big spend on Wick or Thurso High School, remember that the cash allocated to the primary schools in both towns AND rural areas will be reduced (wiped out). Therefore, the structure of these buildings will also go into a ruenous state over the years. Catch 22 methinks.
Good luck to the Parents committee in WHS but I wont hold my breath.:~(

Ahh well I may as well put up the closed sign for Thrumster Primary myself if thats the case as we are so close to Wick :eek:

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 20:49
Well keep us all up-to-date on the progress of complaint/petition.

Royster1911
05-Mar-08, 20:50
As for the missing panels in the ceiling, a few complaints by the janitor by filling in a MRO ( maintenance request order) to the clerk of works should have had that problem sorted out. The uncovered floors ( looked like it was tiled before) is down to the school as it comes under a different code and the school has to pay for repair/replacement.:mad:

unicorn
05-Mar-08, 20:52
I found the stories here before about faulty electrics in some classrooms concerning enough and pupils saying they were freezing in classes.
Maybe parents should all get together and say enough is enough our kids wont return until the school is at least safe!!
If enough people do it they have to listen.
You wouldn't allow it at home so why send your children into these dangerous situations?

Royster1911
05-Mar-08, 21:01
I found the stories here before about faulty electrics in some classrooms concerning enough and pupils saying they were freezing in classes.
Maybe parents should all get together and say enough is enough our kids wont return until the school is at least safe!!
If enough people do it they have to listen.
You wouldn't allow it at home so why send your children into these dangerous situations?
If the classrooms are not up to temprature by 10.00am (19%c I think but do not quote), then the room should not be used. Portable heaters ( available from the clerk of works)[disgust], can be used to get to this status. it is up to the Janitor to measure and report readings to the HT. That is, if he is given the time and equipment to do this task. This is most unlikley![disgust]

unicorn
05-Mar-08, 21:18
It is a ridiculous state of affairs I remember one pupil a few months back saying here that if the door slammed in the classroom they were in the lights went out, how is that safe? surely an electrical fault like that is a fire hazard. An impromptu week of no pupils would surely get the education boards attention

Alice in Blunderland
05-Mar-08, 21:22
An impromptu week of no pupils would surely get the education boards attention
You are so right and guess what they would soon find the money for a letter to be typed and sent out to all parents concerned reminding them of their duty to have the children educated. :lol: ;)

wee sparkle
05-Mar-08, 21:23
I am in my fifth year at Wick High and it so very badly needs some attention. The staff and rector try their best to make the most of what they have....but by the time they are replacing schools down south (ones that are in a far better state then Wick High) they should be consideing replacing our school, or at the very least giving it some much needed repairs. I cannot speak for Thurso High pupils as i have never actually been in their school, but Wick definately needs some attention and i think it would make the pupils feel more proud of their school if we either got a new one or had our current one done up.

Royster1911
05-Mar-08, 21:35
It is a ridiculous state of affairs I remember one pupil a few months back saying here that if the door slammed in the classroom they were in the lights went out, how is that safe? surely an electrical fault like that is a fire hazard. An impromptu week of no pupils would surely get the education boards attention

Had this been reported to the Janitor, he would have filled in a maintenance report order to have this fault rectified.
If (as in this case) it is classed as an emergency repair, the response should be within 24hrs. If it is not, then the HT (and janitor) should be chasing up the clerk of works. Strange how he seems to pop up when things are not being done in schools![evil]

Venture
05-Mar-08, 21:36
A report carried out by the Highland Council on Wick High School in 2003 highlighted £7Million of repairs were required to be carried out to bring it up to an acceptable standard. To date only £850,000 has been spent. The majority of this being spent on repairing rather than replacing.

As an example the main hall was totally refurbished last year not with money from Highland Council but with money given to the school by way of a bequest. In January this year part of the newly decorated hall and the library were damaged when one of the old heating pipes burst. It wasn't replaced it was repaired.

The rector used up near enough all of his allocated maintenance budget for the school on installing another boys toilet. There was up until then only 1 toilet in the whole school for 400 boys.

Because of the state of the pipes in the school children can't drink the water. There is only one fountain which dosen't work properly and the only other alternative is to buy it.

With regard to tiles falling off ceilings on top of children and staff, an official from the Highland Council told the rector that replacement of tiles should come out of the school’s maintenance budget, as the school is the tenant. However, the problems with the tiles were caused by water ingress from leaking roofs, which should be a landlord’s responsibility to repair. In fact, it had been suggested to Mr Traill that tiles could be re-used from Dingwall Academy, which was being demolished!

M.Funkenstein
05-Mar-08, 21:36
I wont even start on the damn asbestos. Good grief, what a place.

unicorn
05-Mar-08, 21:44
I was told years ago by a plumber that water fountains were not allowed to be used any more due to hygiene risks?? :eek:

M.Funkenstein
05-Mar-08, 21:45
I was told years ago by a plumber that water fountains were not allowed to be used any more due to hygiene risks?? :eek:

haha, I can understand that ):

Royster1911
05-Mar-08, 21:46
I wont even start on the damn asbestos. Good grief, what a place.
Ohh, sore point. We had white and brown asbestos found in our boiler house ducting. Solution. Seal the area with plastic sheeting. This is after I have been working (crawling) in that area for a considerable time. Any work under the building is prohibited because of that.[evil] Oh, Yes I have it on record that I have been in close contact.

Venture
05-Mar-08, 22:11
The asbestos register for Highland Council (Non Housing) properties which was last updated on 19th december 2007 shows three entries for Wick High School. Two of the entries are for surveys last done in 1998. The other entry details are:

Suspected asbestos in column casings ABOVE ceiling tiles (Clasp Building) in other words the New Block.

Surveyed - NO Recommendations - Status/cleanliness to be confirmed

Comments - Access to ceiling void to be restricted until further notice.

The picture in today's Courier shows the ceiling referred to in the register.

unicorn
05-Mar-08, 22:14
Parent power is a powerful tool, get out there and shout loud, make a fuss, get the national newspapers involved, These are your children and they deserve education in comfort and safety.

~~Tides~~
05-Mar-08, 22:23
The school is an absolute joke. Just because we like in the back of beyond... We pay the same taxes as everyone else.

As previously stated, there has, for the past year only been one boys toilet in the whole school. What nobody has said is that there has been no hand drier in the toilets, no soap and only cold water. As a result, and as disgusting as it sounds, for the past year the vast majority of people using this toilet havent been washing their hands. I lost count of the amount of staff I told about the problem. I highlighted it at the 6th year council, I even said it at the full school council, told the cleaners, jannies... Months on, the hand drier still doesnt work and there has never been a paper tower near the place. Is it any wonder why bugs have been spreading like wildfire.

There is so much wrong with the school its hard to know where to start. One of the worst things I think is the benches in the physics labs. Installed around 30 years ago, they are in so bad a state, the whole row can be tilted forwards or backwards to around 30 degrees. These are benches with gas lines and 240volts going into them...

Regarding the refurbished hall, it is a disgusting place NOW. Cold, cheap looking turquoise walls, a carpet that shows up every spec of dirt, cheap looking woodwork. And then the rector banned 6th year from even using it, providing no alternative accomodation. He also recarpeted the crush hall with the same horrible carpet, then banned eating in the crush hall, the only other area in the school (of 800 pupils) with seating except the canteen (which can only hold about 150 at a v. tight squeeze) leaving virtually nowhere for anyone to go.

In the last year I have had lessons in a classroom that was 10˚C (english block when the heating broke down) and lessons where the temperature regularly exceeded 30˚ ('new' block).

I could go on and on and on... But want to make one more point, imagine if Wick had asked the HC for £300k to blow on some fireworks...

~~Tides~~
05-Mar-08, 22:25
And by the way, dispite Trail's constant banging on about raising attainment and generally making everyone's life a misery, the prelims, both SG and higher, look to be the worst results for years...

unicorn
05-Mar-08, 22:29
well if the kids are not comfortable in their learning environment is it really any surprise, I dont suppose the teachers feel any better about it either.

98elite
05-Mar-08, 22:55
We past through Dingwall last week, their new high school looks great, lets hope that the Highland council don't forget Caithness in their 21st century schools improvement programme.

http://www.dingwallacademy.com/nwacad.htm

KCI
05-Mar-08, 23:03
The state of the school is ridiculous!

I remember posting a few weeks ago, saying I was shocked to hear that the swimming pool in the school was going to be closed. I had no idea that the whole school was in the same state!

My boy is only 6, but I dread to think about the state of the school when he finally starts High School.

If there is anything that we can do to help, then I am all for it.

Venture
06-Mar-08, 12:53
The state of the school is ridiculous!

I remember posting a few weeks ago, saying I was shocked to hear that the swimming pool in the school was going to be closed. I had no idea that the whole school was in the same state!

My boy is only 6, but I dread to think about the state of the school when he finally starts High School.

If there is anything that we can do to help, then I am all for it.

Thanks KCI the Parent Council will gladly take you up on your offer. There haven't been many offers like yours on this thread but there again, what's new.

The story hit the headlines yesterday. The majority of people who are crying out shock and horror at the situation will by next week have forgotten about it and will do little if anything to make a difference to the situation. Its because everyone has sat around doing nothing over the years that the school is in the state that it is.

There are over 800 pupils at the school and on the Parent Council we are lucky if we have 15 parents turn up for a meeting. Why? I have heard various excuses but the fact is that the majority of people dont bother getting of their backsides to do something to help the school because they know that there's always a minority of parents who will do all the work for them.

Parents think the Parent Council is just a body who organise concerts and fundraise for the school. We do fundraise for the benefit of the pupils. In fact we are about to secure the purchase of a new mini-bus for the school at a cost of nearlly £40,000. This will benefit many pupils especially those with disabilities and reduce travel costs for the school. But there is more to us than that. What most don't realise is that the Parent Council also have a voice in the running of the school. This includes how and where our children are educated.

We now have a situation where the school is not fit for 21st century education etc etc. Obviously this is bound to have a knock on effect on the children themselves. The rector and his staff do a great job with what little they have but at the end of the day they are employees and their hands are tied. So what can be done. We could wait until our local councillors can squeeze some money out of Highland Council who seem to have none available for education but plenty for fireworks and other more important things, we could just do nothing and hope the children can muddle through it all and come out the other end with glowing qualifications. or we could start shouting and making a difference. People power is a great thing. The recent Save our Maternity Unit campaign proved this. If it can be done once it can be done again.

There's no point in wasting time arguing with Highland Council. Any contribution they could make wouldn't come into effect for years. We have to go up a level. In order to do this the Parent Council needs the support of all parents not just those with kids at the school now. Anything I can do to help improve the state of the school wont more than likely benefit my son who is at High school now but it will I hope benefit my grandchildren and others in years to come. You can do the same. If you are willing to help in any way please PM me.

cd1977
06-Mar-08, 13:24
I think Wick high was a great place for schooling. The main building is full of character and it would be sad to see it demolished.

I think a lot of the concerns are superficial and will not affect the pupils education. The heating issue I can sympathise with.

I suppose everything is in the eye of the beholder.

I enjoyed my time there.

Highland Laddie
06-Mar-08, 13:46
Why bother trying to patch up Wick high school, it has done well, but has seen it's best days.
To carry out repairs to bring it up to an acceptable standard is like putting an elastoplast on an amputated leg.

I think it would make far more sense and greater use of finances to demand a new purpose built school fit for decades to come.

Sapphire2803
06-Mar-08, 14:11
I'll gladly help if I can, my son is in S1 and my daughters will be starting WHS in a couple of years.
Help to do what though? has anyone thought on what can be done?
How about getting as many people as possible to turn up to the front of the school for a petition signing? I'm sure it would make a good photo opportunity for the papers and a show of solidarity is always good in a case like this.

So... come on folks... ideas please? Then we can all get our fingers out and do something. With any luck the council will do the same, but I won't hold my breath...

KCI
06-Mar-08, 14:18
This messageboard has so many visitors, and regulars, yet when it comes to trying to make a difference to the community, it's so hard to find anyone willing to help. It's a shame really, because this is something that could affect us all in some way - most of us have or will have children/grandchildren attending the High School at some point - don't we want the best for our children?

I like the idea of a petition outside the school - it may not achieve much, but it would give a photo opportunity, which will hopefully keep some interest going.

Venture
06-Mar-08, 14:24
Thanks for your replies and your support. The Parent Council will be organising a petition, posters and hopefully an Open Evening to all parents, relatives and any members of the public interested in helping the school. If anyone would like to view the presentation given on Monday night see Sapphire's link in the post below this.

Sapphire2803
06-Mar-08, 19:37
The presentation is available to view here (http://auckengill.com/whs.aspx)

Well..... that's if it works.
Fingers crossed :)

KCI
06-Mar-08, 20:03
Oh My God!

I had no idea it was that bad.

If that presentation doesn't make people offer their help, then I don't know what will!

I certainly don't want my child going to a school like that. We deserve better than that.

Venture
06-Mar-08, 22:09
Oh My God!

I had no idea it was that bad.

If that presentation doesn't make people offer their help, then I don't know what will!

I certainly don't want my child going to a school like that. We deserve better than that.

Glad you were impressed...not KCI and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Penelope Pitstop
07-Mar-08, 19:37
[lol]
Penelope, we DO have computers at school in the library - we aren't THAT bad! :)

Venture, I'm glad you've organised this, even though - like I said - I don't go to Wick High, I am in full support!

Do you spend most of the day in the library!!!!!!!!!! lol

Venture
07-Mar-08, 19:56
Im glad he was in the library using the computer because it gave him the chance to show his support for Wick High School even though he attends Thurso. Good on you Rob pity there weren't more like you.

Margaret M.
08-Mar-08, 05:21
I still pay council taxes there and this makes me see red. It is ridiculous that there is so much waste -- money being spent on fireworks and roadsigns when the schools are falling down around the students.

Mr P Cannop
08-Mar-08, 09:09
Wick High School

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/officialReports/meetingsParliament/or-08/sor0306-01.htm

5. Peter Peacock (Highlands and Islands) (Lab): To ask the Scottish Executive whether it considers that Wick high school is in need of substantial refurbishment or replacement and, if so, what measures it plans to take to secure improvements to Wick high school. (S3O-2545)

The Minister for Schools and Skills (Maureen Watt): The Highland Council has statutory responsibility for the provision and maintenance of school buildings in its area. Questions regarding investment priorities for individual schools within the estate are matters for the council.

Peter Peacock: Over the past three years, Highland Council has undertaken the largest

Col 6707

secondary school building programme for several generations. Unfortunately, Wick high school has not reached the top of that programme. This week, the parents council of Wick high school published an extensive catalogue of the deficiencies in the school building. Will the minister agree to visit Wick high school to hear the parents' concerns at first hand? When can Highland Council expect to get extra cash from the Scottish futures trust to rebuild Wick high school?

Maureen Watt: I am aware of Highland Council's capital programme for secondary school refurbishments. Wick high school was on the council's original list of schools requiring refurbishment but was not included in the final list of 11. I understand that the highest priority is Thurso high school, followed by the unit for students with special needs at Nairn academy, and that joint third were Plockton high school and Nairn academy, with Wick high school next on the programme.

The member will be aware of the increased capital that has been given to Highland Council—£132.234 million from 2008 to 2011, including its share of the extra £115 million for 2008-09. Highland Council, like other councils, has been given a massive increase in its capital. It is up to Highland Council to decide how that is allocated.

Jamie Stone (Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross) (LD): At a packed meeting at Wick high school—I have here a copy of the article on it in the press—the chairman of Highland Council's education culture and sport committee, Bill Fernie, told us that the council does not have the resources for a new build. Wick high school should be on Scotland's conscience.

Further to my written request that the First Minister come to see the school for himself, will the minister instruct senior Scottish Government officials to visit the school and come back with proposals about how a state-of-the-art school suitable for the 21st century can be fast tracked?

Maureen Watt: Officials are constantly in touch with all local authorities regarding their school building programmes. The member well knows that, as is the case with other councils, it is for the Highland Council to determine its priorities. It is not for the Scottish Government to intervene to decide on the council's priorities.

Mary Scanlon (Highlands and Islands) (Con): Wick high school was given the lowest rating possible for the current state of its buildings. At what point and against which standards can a school be deemed to be unfit and unsafe for the purpose of educating children? [Interruption.]

The Presiding Officer: Too many conversations are taking place round the chamber.

Col 6708

Maureen Watt: The member will be aware that the state of school buildings is a matter for councils to address, according to certain criteria. If the member wishes more detail on when a school is deemed to be unfit for purpose, I will write to her about that.

Rob Gibson (Highlands and Islands) (SNP): The minister will be aware that the fabric of Wick high school has been deteriorating since Peter Peacock was the leader of Highland Council. During the eight years of the Liberal-Labour Administration, not enough money was given to the council to deal with the problem.

The Presiding Officer: Come to the question, please.

Rob Gibson: Does the minister agree that novel methods might require to be used? Does she support the idea of the council investigating a bond issue to deal with some of the immediate problems?

Maureen Watt: Various options are open to councils for accessing funding to rebuild their estate. As members know, the Government plans to introduce a Scottish futures trust, on which consultation ended last year.

Venture
08-Mar-08, 12:18
Thanks for the information Paul. There is already a thread about Wick High School as a Sticky at the top of the page. Maybe you could ask the Mods to move it up there rather than having two going at the same time.

Yoda the flump
08-Mar-08, 12:27
Has anybody thought of contacting the NDA about funding?

They certainly have a socio-economic fund and Caithness is a priority area.

Education is certainly one of their areas of interest, but if this applies to High Schools and how much they could/would have available I don't know.

Venture
08-Mar-08, 14:02
Has anybody thought of contacting the NDA about funding?

They certainly have a socio-economic fund and Caithness is a priority area.

Education is certainly one of their areas of interest, but if this applies to High Schools and how much they could/would have available I don't know.

Thanks for your suggestion and your support Yoda. I have had a look at the NDA website. It states that funding is available for Education/skills – either related to decommissioning and clean-up or to support economic diversification.

I think its more aimed at funding for training. Ill certainly get someone to have a closer look at it. Thanks again.

lynne duncan
10-Mar-08, 16:53
shame on the state of our country, that an uproar has to be created to allow politians to sit up and see - what everyone in the town knows.
i will be very disappointed to send emma there in 2 years, i have great memories of my time there and as such am currently organising our reunion for 25 years since we started at wick high - was going to ask for a tour round to jog our memories but maybe i'd be to embarrassed to take my old pals.

Venture
10-Mar-08, 17:29
shame on the state of our country, that an uproar has to be created to allow politians to sit up and see - what everyone in the town knows.
i will be very disappointed to send emma there in 2 years, i have great memories of my time there and as such am currently organising our reunion for 25 years since we started at wick high - was going to ask for a tour round to jog our memories but maybe i'd be to embarrassed to take my old pals.

At the recent meeting the Parent Council held with the councillors etc a number of people present recalled starting Wick High in 1965. The science room we held the meeting in still contained the SAME benches they had sat at 43 years before. [disgust]

PS hope you have a successful Reunion.

hillheader
10-Mar-08, 20:49
My daughter will be attending some form of secondary school in a couple of years. Will it be state of the art or a right state for art god only knows.
Is there someone out there who is in touch with the Health & Safety Exec ? If the people you have voted for on councils/governments cannot be bothered to do anything, the H & S Exec can close the place down if deemed unfit or high risk.
We have an MSP & MP surely this is enough to gain funding for a new school, come on Jamie & John ??
Is it going to be the same old chestnut, the accident happens & the government/council are the usual - reactive rather than proactive !!

We are not asking for the same builders as the new scottish parliament they cost too much, I think :-) Just the same amount of money you decided to spend on, let's say, the windows of the new building that's all.

Venture
10-Mar-08, 23:41
My daughter will be attending some form of secondary school in a couple of years. Will it be state of the art or a right state for art god only knows.
Is there someone out there who is in touch with the Health & Safety Exec ? If the people you have voted for on councils/governments cannot be bothered to do anything, the H & S Exec can close the place down if deemed unfit or high risk.
We have an MSP & MP surely this is enough to gain funding for a new school, come on Jamie & John ??
Is it going to be the same old chestnut, the accident happens & the government/council are the usual - reactive rather than proactive !!

We are not asking for the same builders as the new scottish parliament they cost too much, I think :-) Just the same amount of money you decided to spend on, let's say, the windows of the new building that's all.

Im afraid its a bit more than that Hillheader. It will cost between 25 and 30 million to rebuilt Wick High.

Venture
11-Mar-08, 15:05
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/newwickhighschool/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/newwickhighschool/)

The Parent Council would be very grateful if you would show your support for the campaign by signing the petition.

Thanks

unicorn
11-Mar-08, 16:06
Fantastic idea, I have signed.

Sapphire2803
11-Mar-08, 17:28
Tis done. I'll chase up everyone I know to sign it too

Highland lad
11-Mar-08, 20:02
I think it is a disgrace that the schools are in the state they are in. I certainly would not send a child of mine into such a disgrace of a school. All three High Schools need major works or tearing down. Thurso was a dump when I went there and it is obviously not any better today.
Farr High School has to share the school with the Primary School and is not big enough for both.

I hope you manage to get something done about wick before it is affecting childrens health or someone gets hurt.

Highland Laddie
11-Mar-08, 20:30
All done by all the family, and have sent the url to all on my e-mail list.

KCI
11-Mar-08, 20:53
Right, I've signed it now as well.

C'mon everyone - get signing! It only takes a second! ;)

duncan1969
11-Mar-08, 21:01
where would the new high scool in wick go then

Venture
11-Mar-08, 21:36
where would the new high scool in wick go then
That's a good question Duncan but I can't answer it for you. At the moment the priority is getting between 25 and 30 million to build a new one.

Sapphire2803
11-Mar-08, 21:48
Sounds like an awful lot of money, but if you estimate the population of Caithness to be 40000 then half that into thurso and wick high catchment areas (yes, I know it's not that simple)
Then 25,000,000 works out at £1250 a head.
I'm not suggesting we all raid our piggy banks, far from it. I mean I'm probably worth about £200 as we speak :( (and that's pushing it)
But it does stop that figure sounding quite so scary and starts it sounding like something we can work towards.....

Venture
12-Mar-08, 23:50
I think it is a disgrace that the schools are in the state they are in. I certainly would not send a child of mine into such a disgrace of a school. All three High Schools need major works or tearing down. Thurso was a dump when I went there and it is obviously not any better today.
Farr High School has to share the school with the Primary School and is not big enough for both.

I hope you manage to get something done about wick before it is affecting childrens health or someone gets hurt.

Welcome Highland Lad to caithness.org. Thanks for using your first post to show your support for the campaign for a new Wick High School. I fully agree with your comments about all three schools.

As far as Wick High is concerned its ridiculous that in the year 2008 children are expected to put up with a school that's falling down around them. Mind you considering a large part of where they are taught was built 96 years ago what else can we expect.

The health and safety of the pupils is the main concern. Only three days after our meeting with councillors etc the pool was closed for the foreseeable future on health and safety grounds. Apparently the reason was it had become totally unmanageable due to filters not working, leaks and broken tiles in the pool which resulted in pupils cutting their feet. Had these things happened since the Monday meeting. No. It had been like that for years. Ill leave you to work out your own conclusion as to Why Now.

The pool is only one of a long list of examples of pure neglect by Highland Council.

Highland lad
14-Mar-08, 20:02
I have signed the petition today. Every signature helps.

Venture
16-Mar-08, 17:27
I have signed the petition today. Every signature helps.
Thanks for that Highland Lad.

Since Wick High School Parent Council started the campaign for a new school on the 3rd of March many people have pledged their support verbally. The Groat, P & J and caithness.org have given us great coverage. This thread alone has had over 2400 views. Our online petition is creeping towards the 200 mark since it started on Wednesday.

The petition is an important part of the campaign and we need more signatures. With 870 pupils at the school, hundreds of families with younger children who are the future pupils of WHS and many more who are ex pupils there could be a lot more people signing than have done so already. If you are reading this and havent yet signed please can you do so.

As Highland Lad who posted previously has stated "every signature helps".

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/newwickhighschool/

Highland lad
16-Mar-08, 21:17
Glad to help, My wife has signed the petition aswell.

Julia
16-Mar-08, 21:51
I've just signed the petition, this is the first time I have read this thread and watched the WHS presentation, it's shocking stuff. I left Wick High in the 80's and the school was a bit dismal then, I'm so shocked to see the state of it today, if anybody wants my help you've got it!

Venture
17-Mar-08, 00:01
I've just signed the petition, this is the first time I have read this thread and watched the WHS presentation, it's shocking stuff. I left Wick High in the 80's and the school was a bit dismal then, I'm so shocked to see the state of it today, if anybody wants my help you've got it!

Thanks Julia for signing the petition and offering your support. Ill be in touch with you soon.

Tom Cornwall
17-Mar-08, 14:13
The school wasn't in great nick when I was there 50 years ago, the corridors were crowded then, when we changed classes.

Venture
17-Mar-08, 14:27
The school wasn't in great nick when I was there 50 years ago, the corridors were crowded then, when we changed classes.

Well Tom its still the same school building and the same corridors. Only difference is there's a lot more pupils using them to change classes 50 years on.

justine
20-Mar-08, 13:38
this has just been released so lets not hold our breaths.....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7305295.stm

Venture
20-Mar-08, 16:59
this has just been released so lets not hold our breaths.....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7305295.stm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7305295.stm)

It didn't come as a surprise as we've heard it all before from every councillor and MSP we have spoken to. Where there's a will there's a way and the fight goes on regardless.

Im sure you've mentioned on the org Justine that you have 9 children. Have you signed the petition yet?

justine
21-Mar-08, 01:29
It didn't come as a surprise as we've heard it all before from every councillor and MSP we have spoken to. Where there's a will there's a way and the fight goes on regardless.

Im sure you've mentioned on the org Justine that you have 9 children. Have you signed the petition yet?

Of course i have....and the playgroup one......:)

gollach
24-Mar-08, 13:07
Bill Fernie's understatement in the P&J today
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/552855

Venture
24-Mar-08, 14:01
Bill Fernie's understatement in the P&J today
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/552855 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/552855)
Mr Fernie said arts investment would reap dividends in the long term by attracting people to the live in the Highlands and they would then contribute to the tax system. This money could then be invested in schools.

Acknowledging the challenges ahead, education chairman Bill Fernie said: “Some schools are in a huge state of dilapidation. There is no doubt about that.”
He added: “I’ve got one in my own patch, Wick High School, which is not in a great condition. But the council’s got responsibilities for a wide range of services and it’s all too easy for people to say they’ll grab one section of a particular budget to spend on something else. That’s a very short-term view of things.”

For anyone moving to a new area one of the first things they check out is schools. Would you want to come and live in Wick and put your children to a school that the local councillor describes as "in a huge state of delapidation"?

Arts projects in Inverness before schools in Caithness what's new. Bill states that the council's responsibilities are for a wide range of services. Seems more and more so that these responsibilities and services don't stretch as far as Caithness.

justine
07-Apr-08, 13:20
te. They are holding a meeting on the 22 April for parents to go around the school...Full story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7334347.stm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7334347.stm)

dirdyweeker
07-Apr-08, 13:24
let's hope this meeting is standing room only!! It should be in the interest of all parents sending their children to school now and in the future to be there.If you care for your child's future please attend or send someone to represent you. Let us show Peter Peacock that we mean business!!

justine
07-Apr-08, 13:30
let's hope this meeting is standing room only!! It should be in the interest of all parents sending their children to school now and in the future to be there.If you care for your child's future please attend or send someone to represent you. Let us show Peter Peacock that we mean business!!

Its just a pity that it has to be a meeting, and not just action..The school is in need of repair and it seems all want to talk about it and show it off but it is taking a long time to fix....I hope that the meeting is a success and the school gets the face lift it needs....

KCI
07-Apr-08, 13:59
Its just a pity that it has to be a meeting, and not just action..The school is in need of repair and it seems all want to talk about it and show it off but it is taking a long time to fix....I hope that the meeting is a success and the school gets the face lift it needs....

The problem is that it will take a long time to fix though. It's not just a case of everyone talking about it, and not actually doing anything about it - a campaign has been started. The petition was a start, getting the media involved is essential, and making sure that everyone knows, and sees for themselves, what state the school is in, is also important.

The Parents Council need to get as much support behind them as possible, which will take time. We're talking about a new school, or a renovated school, which is a huge job, and could end up costing millions. For that reason, I think it's important to have meetings, and plan the campaign carefully, because it's going to be difficult to get hold of that kind of money!

Venture
07-Apr-08, 14:07

Of course we want to show it off. The more that see it the better. How many people in Wick with children at the school or who will be attending the school in the near future, have actually seen for themselves just how bad things are. Im not talking about looking at a presentation or photgraphs. Have you as a parent been able to visit the school to see the state of the swimming pool, gym, the stairs at the maths block or the ceilings with gaping holes and damaged tiles? I dont imagine you have because when parents attend parents' nights they don't have access to all areas of the school. If anything these occasions are usually held in the best part of the school.

The open night will give everyone in Wick the chance to come along and judge for themselves if we are right in campaigning for a NEW school and then to hopefully give us their support.

There are health and safety issues which are a major concern one in particular has been highlighted by one of the ex teachers in his comments on the petition. Another teacher comments how she left the school because of the conditions she had to teach her pupils in.

The action you talk about is a long way off and one which we will have to fight tooth and nail for, competing along the way with other schools who feel theirs is just as bad as Wick. Whether the open night is a success or not depends on people like you turning up. Hopefully you and many others will be shocked into helping us to do something about it.

justine
07-Apr-08, 14:18
I agree with all the sentiments. it should be shown off, what i was saying its a pity it has to take so long for it to all happen, getting it fixed i mean..My children go to wick high and i hate to think of the conditions that they have to be in each day, and i hope this can be sorted quickly.
Is there no chance of lottery funding as a help...You have probably alread applied and if so i hope that it comes through. I am in no way pulling anyone down for it taking so long i just hope you have your success quickly....

Venture
07-Apr-08, 15:59
I agree with all the sentiments. it should be shown off, what i was saying its a pity it has to take so long for it to all happen, getting it fixed i mean..My children go to wick high and i hate to think of the conditions that they have to be in each day, and i hope this can be sorted quickly.
Is there no chance of lottery funding as a help...You have probably alread applied and if so i hope that it comes through. I am in no way pulling anyone down for it taking so long i just hope you have your success quickly....

Im afraid it dosent work like that Justine. The Highland Council is the landlord of the school and owns the property therefore they are responsible for the fabric of the building. In other words they musy pay. They maintain that they have not enough money in their budget for the school this is why we are aiming our campaign at the Scottish Executive who at the end of the day control all the finances. We can't apply for lottery funding to build another school. It it was as easy as that everyone would be applying for money to build new schools.

dirdyweeker
07-Apr-08, 18:18
must be going the right way. Just got a mention on the BBC news re the condition of Wick High School. What great publicity!

justine
09-Apr-08, 13:06
Im afraid it dosent work like that Justine. The Highland Council is the landlord of the school and owns the property therefore they are responsible for the fabric of the building. In other words they musy pay. They maintain that they have not enough money in their budget for the school this is why we are aiming our campaign at the Scottish Executive who at the end of the day control all the finances. We can't apply for lottery funding to build another school. It it was as easy as that everyone would be applying for money to build new schools.

I wish i could even start to understand this, as i went to private schools and have never come across anything like this before.Maybe i am naive with the systems in the uk..With growing up miltitary and everything always being done i suppose i still reckon that it works this way in civilian street..My dughter that goes to wick high has mentioned the state of the school and i have seen some of the mess when i have been to parents evening, but i still have to remember that things in civilian street take longer to get off the drawing board.

I think you and others are doing a great job and have my full following with this, i just need to stop thinking army life....

If it was down to my judgement i would rather give lottery funding for the needs of education than some of the silly things that get lottery funding...

Sapphire2803
14-Apr-08, 11:30
The latest news coverage:
BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7342422.stm)

Venture
14-Apr-08, 23:38
Thanks for the link Sapphire. We also had a slot on the North Tonight programme again at 6 o'clock and stv spent over an hour and a half at the school this afternoon. Footage will be shown in a programme before our Open Night on the 22nd of April. Ill post on here when I have details of the day and time.

Our petition is approaching the 600 mark but we still need more names. The community needs to get behind this campaign and show their support. We need more people to help us run the campaign. I dont mean only parents and pupils, anyone can help. Ex pupils, ex teachers, anyone retired, anyone with skills that could help us organise events for fundraising etc. If you think you can help us in any way please PM me.

The same goes for the Open Night. The invitation is open to everyone. You dont have to live in Wick to attend or to even have children at the school. Come along and see just what the pupils and teachers have to put up with every day. Then you will realise why we MUST have a new school.

OPEN EVENING AT WICK HIGH SCHOOL
Tuesday 22nd April
at 7pm
All Welcome