PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen Waxwings

kas
04-Nov-05, 00:12
Has anybody come across any Waxwing yet? I saw a report on a bird website of 25 in a garden in Thurso, and I know Rheghead saw 6 today.
I saw some in Achsvarasdale last year and am hoping to see them again this year.

Geo
04-Nov-05, 00:19
My dad mentioned seeing some a few days ago.

kas
04-Nov-05, 00:23
Do you know where?

Geo
04-Nov-05, 01:00
Do you know the junction on the Thurso/Wick road that takes you down to Halkirk? If approaching that junction from Thurso, take the left. A hundred yards or so up that road there is another left that takes you back to the main road. They were in one of the gardens there.

porshiepoo
04-Nov-05, 10:12
Ummmm, What's a waxwing? :confused:
I mean I take it it's a bird but what do they look like???

kas
04-Nov-05, 16:14
You'll find a picture here.

http://www.birdforum.net/bird_view.php?bid=1438

Tugmistress
04-Nov-05, 17:03
or you just google on images for waxwing

http://images.google.co.uk/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&q=waxwing&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

porshiepoo
04-Nov-05, 17:03
Wow they're pretty, but which one is it? The cedar, the bohemian or the japenese?

larcc
04-Nov-05, 17:19
My Mum had 4 in her garden the other day she lives in thurso

kas
04-Nov-05, 21:07
They are bohemian.
My friend found some in Reay yesterday. I have my fingers crossed for tomorrow, but knowing my luck!!!!!!!
Bet your Mum was well chuffed Larcc. Even if you are not into birds, you cant help but admiring these stunning birds.
A big thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

Kenn
04-Nov-05, 23:37
Have often seen them out by Weydale and Devil's Moss along with their close relatives the Fieldfares..don't know if you have the same lore up there but down sooth if they appear before December it is considered to be the sign of a hard winter on the way.
Don't know what happened here last year but saw a small flock in January when the temp was 15C !
Always love to see them whether I'm north or south they make winter a little brighter.

kas
04-Nov-05, 23:57
Have often seen them out by Weydale and Devil's Moss along with their close relatives the Fieldfares..don't know if you have the same lore up there but down sooth if they appear before December it is considered to be the sign of a hard winter on the way.
Don't know what happened here last year but saw a small flock in January when the temp was 15C !
Always love to see them whether I'm north or south they make winter a little brighter.

I saw them at the end of October last year and there was an invasion of them, a flock of 1500 was spotted in Moray in November. People were saying that because there was so many, it was a sign of a bad winter. But we certainly never had a bad winter.
I think they tend to appear in Scotland about this time, then make their way south. A theory is that they come over here if food is in short supply on the continent. They eat berries from trees such as the Rowan.

gleeber
05-Nov-05, 01:01
Waxwings were the birds who made me sit up and take notice of nature. Ever since I spotted 3 of them in a tree about 12 years ago Ive taken an interest in spotting birds.
I wonder if you meant redwings Lizz? I first saw redwings and their thrush cousins the fieldfares in Hill O Forss about the same time.

Kenn
08-Nov-05, 20:39
gleeber thank you for pointing out the errors of my ways! Must have been having a senior moment as I did mention Redwings and their cousins maybe due to the fact that I would rather be up there watching 'em than down here.
Have seen waxwings out that way though and also over to Sutherland where the road turns left to Sthrathhalladale.Happy bird watching where ever you are folks.
P.S Being the same age as myself you will no doubt understand about such things

brandy
08-Nov-05, 20:53
wow what can i say they are just beautiful! amazing actually! are the males and the females both like that or are the females dull?

kas
08-Nov-05, 21:27
No they are pretty much the same. There is very slight differences, the red tips on their secondaries and the yellow bar on the tail are more prominent in the males, and the shape of the black chin patch differs slightly.
Personally I wasnt able to tell any difference the one time I saw them. But to be honest I dont think you would be bothered anyway, as they are such a beautiful sight.

r.rackstraw
08-Nov-05, 22:45
There were half a dozen waxwings at Brough at the end of October.

Rheghead
08-Nov-05, 23:58
I saw more (possible) waxwings today but only discernable from their song (http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/w/waxwing/gallery.asp)and their starling-like flight. (about a dozen I'd say). They were heading east from Reay.

kas
10-Nov-05, 20:44
More sightings comming in. My uncle had a dozen on Tuesday in his garden, and my gran had some too.
Looks like I am not destined to see one this year.

phoenix
10-Nov-05, 21:33
My better half saw two in the garden yesterday..............today I saw one..........they are beautiful!

jimag
11-Nov-05, 18:41
There were groups of up to 8 or 9 on several occasions today at the Forss Business Park (Ex American Base at Lybster Hill)

captain chaos
13-Nov-05, 13:37
This poor fellow flew into our living room window this morning.

Sat on the ground for about a couple of minutes probably nursing the mother of all headaches

Then flew away. They have some beautiful markings
[ http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/1743/waxwing2hh.th.jpg (http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=waxwing2hh.jpg)]

kas
13-Nov-05, 17:45
Thankyou very much for the photo Captian Chaos, hope it was okay afterwards. Are you on the Thurso side or the Wick side of the county?

Can I also thank everyone who has posted their sightings as well, I have really enjoyed hearing form you all. Although I never managed to see any myself.

captain chaos
14-Nov-05, 00:07
On the Thurso side of the county

It flew up to a branch and sat there for abount 15 mins then took off.

Don't know why It flew into the window . Maybe it was being chased or something

gollach
15-Nov-05, 00:21
Saw one in a garden in Calder Drive (Thurso) yesterday afternoon.

kas
21-Nov-05, 23:38
They were in my nieghbours garden for 2 days in a row last week.
She didnt realise I was on the hunt for them.
So I give up, well for this year anyway.

kas
05-Feb-06, 14:42
3 months after putting this thread up, I finally managed to see one thanks to a very nice couple in Thurso.

My partners Mum met a lady she knew in the supermarket buying pears for a bird in her garden. This turned out to be a Waxwing.

The couple very kindly phoned me today and I went up to see it.
I am like a little kid, delighted with myself.

So I owe a nice big thankyou to the couple.

Tugmistress
05-Feb-06, 15:32
glad you finally got to seen one kas :)
hoping to get more than those dirty great big black things in my garden this year :D

Loafer
05-Feb-06, 15:38
My good lady, her parents and I saw one in a garden across the road from us at the turn of the year (Thurso). This is apparently very strange as they tend to fly in flocks. It was a beautiful bird and was having a feast on the Catoneaster berries.

The Loafer

weeboyagee
05-Feb-06, 17:02
I saw more (possible) waxwings today but only discernable from their song and their starling-like flight. (about a dozen I'd say). They were heading east from Reay.
Well they didn't fly east to Thrumster :( , we could do with seeing some nice looking birds in the village! :lol:

connieb19
05-Feb-06, 17:14
I wouldn't know the difference between a waxwing and a scorrie...:confused:

badger
05-Feb-06, 20:05
It was a waxwing photo that started off this year's Nature gallery from a garden near me

http://www.caithness.org/nature/spotted/photogallery/thumbs.htm?0?0

kas
05-Feb-06, 21:23
My good lady, her parents and I saw one in a garden across the road from us at the turn of the year (Thurso). This is apparently very strange as they tend to fly in flocks. It was a beautiful bird and was having a feast on the Catoneaster berries.

The Loafer

Yes it is the norm to see them in flocks. A few people on a bird forum I go onto have been commenting about the amount of single birds about this year.