PDA

View Full Version : Hypnotherapy advice please

nightowl
04-Mar-08, 10:57
This will seem long winded but please bear with me. Over the last few months I have been listening to Paul McKenna's "I can make you thin" cd after reading the book. At the beginning he tells me to start counting down from 300 whilst listening to his melodious, nay,hypnotic voice. I have been faithfully following his instructions but so far have failed dismally and still belong to the "empty plate club". Am I failing because my countdown only lasts till about 289 then I succumb to his voice and find myself concentrating on his words? Should I be strong and keep to the counting, ignore the words and hope they imprint subliminally? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:confused

justine
04-Mar-08, 11:24
Maybe you could just change channel if it effects you in this way....;)

A_Usher
04-Mar-08, 11:32
Pauls CD, mmmm
I get lots of calls about this at the surgery. The problem with hypnosis, and i am speaking as a clincal hypnotherapist is that it needs to be tailored to the individual, as there can be a variety of factors involved in any case.

All hypnosis does is provides you to go into an altered state, usually one of relaxation and focus. We move through many altered states during each day.

If you want to give me a call or email , i can chat to you about what you are experiencing, what you are looking for and give you some pointers.

Whilst self help cd work for some, its my experience that the majority dont benefit from it, as a one glove one fit approach isnt the best way forward, and as hypnosis is a suggestible state, dependent on sound, tonality etc it may eiter resonate and be useful for you, or it may simply not.

Andrew

justine
04-Mar-08, 11:35
ok...........but is it a fair state to be put in.There are many stories of people never getting over the hypnotherapy treatment, and in a bad way...

But thats my input on this as i do think it should be ousted...Cant do anyone any good...Yoga is so much better...Ones clears ones own mind of impurities, not have someone mess with someones headIMVHO.............

A_Usher
04-Mar-08, 11:36
I should also mention that i dont tend to see people for hypnotherapy weight management, as the only real way to loose way is with excecise and healthy diet, whilst hypntherapy can help you alter the way you see food, snacks etc, you still need a proper HEALTHY diet and excercise.

You will see in Paul's programs that he mentions this in several places. I kind of feel his products fall into pop pyschology and what i term the quick cash return, as its generic, exceptionally well marketed and always talks of the success and not the many failures that occur with the product.

A_Usher
04-Mar-08, 11:42
Pauls CD, mmmm
I get lots of calls about this at the surgery. The problem with hypnosis, and i am speaking as a clincal hypnotherapist is that it needs to be tailored to the individual, as there can be a variety of factors involved in any case.

All hypnosis does is provides you to go into an altered state, usually one of relaxation and focus. We move through many altered states during each day.

If you want to give me a call or email , i can chat to you about what you are experiencing, what you are looking for and give you some pointers.

Whilst self help cd work for some, its my experience that the majority dont benefit from it, as a one glove one fit approach isnt the best way forward, and as hypnosis is a suggestible state, dependent on sound, tonality etc it may eiter resonate and be useful for you, or it may simply not.

Andrew

ok...........but is it a fair state to be put in.There are many stories of people never getting over the hypnotherapy treatment, and in a bad way...

But thats my input on this as i do think it should be ousted...Cant do anyone any good...Yoga is so much better...Ones clears ones own mind of impurities, not have someone mess with someones headIMVHO.............

Sorry, but yoga, trance, hypnosis, meditation are all inter connected, no one messes with your head in any of those things, its all about relaxation and focus. We are all suggestible through conscious and unconscious communication. There are no clinical cases of hypnosis leaving people messed up etc. I have trained clinical psychology, hypnosis and yoga for over 18 years, in fact i have trained many forms of yoga from ashtanga to hatha and studied many forms of yogic breathing and meditation and i can assure you it is no different to many forms of self hypnosis and guided hypnotic inductions.

In both hypnosis and meditation it is you that is in control, you are in a state of mind which has in fact a greater control of your unconscious resources, and in many cases with individuals the feeling of being in hypnosis is no different to what they experience when reading a good book.

The problem with hypnosis, is that it like many things is tainted with people who know little proclaiming to know much.

nightowl
04-Mar-08, 12:38
Thanks for your advice, Andrew. This for me is a fun thing. I'm not taking it too seriously. I just wondered, if I followed the right methods, might I get more from listening to it. So, concentrate on the counting or listen to his voice? Thanks.

A_Usher
04-Mar-08, 12:45
It depends on what the cd is trying to convey, ive not heard the CD so i dont know the content. If he is asking you to count down backwads, then i am assuming he is trying to get you into an altered state of mind.

Try either and find what works, listen to the numbers, see them in your mind, starting with big numbers and visualising them smaller as they go lower. Or utilse the sound of his voice in your mind to count the numbers out to you. The idea is that as you count down your mind and body will relax, what you can do is make the numbers slowly fade from your mind until you get to the point you cant remember which number comes next, and at that point just think of his voice.

Imagination is the key.

Are you listening though earphones?

nightowl
04-Mar-08, 12:52
Yes Andrew, I'm listening through headphones. Your advice is really helpful so I'll give it another go. Thanks.