PDA

View Full Version : Who still reads the NME?

Blast!
04-Mar-08, 04:55
And if so, why? ;)

the_big_mac
04-Mar-08, 12:35
And if so, why? ;)

Students who drink in the "Brunswick Cellers", wear skinny jeans, scarfs, trilby hats and think "The Artic Monkeys" are musical genius's who's ability cannot be surpased even by "The White Stripes" or "Razorlight".

And 40 year old professionals that want to look cool on public transport.

And probably "the Pepsi challenge" :p

roblovesplastic
04-Mar-08, 17:01
And if so, why? ;)

why....cos its the best release of new music available to us in the UK.

I also buy Q as well but NME gives some ace new bands to listen too, better than Q.

roblovesplastic
04-Mar-08, 17:04
Students who drink in the "Brunswick Cellers", wear skinny jeans, scarfs, trilby hats and think "The Artic Monkeys" are musical genius's who's ability cannot be surpased even by "The White Stripes" or "Razorlight".

why would you not look at new and upcoming bands with no contract?????????????????????????

spells

l o s e r

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Mar-08, 18:41

Sorry. Haven't read the NME since I used to work for them in the Big Smoke, which, thankfully, was brief.

dogman
04-Mar-08, 19:14
And if so, why? ;)

make a point here. tell us why u dont read it.

foreveruntitled
04-Mar-08, 19:40
And if so, why? ;)

Me, cos its reasonably priced and is half decent, I know it rambles pish quite a lot but does introduce some good bands and besides, there arent any other half decent magazines in that genre of music.

The Conor guy thats the editor right now always appears to be a bit of a tool.

What were they like to work for Pepsi if you dont mind me asking? How long ago was it that you worked for them?

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Mar-08, 19:48
Was around the year 2000, worked there for 3 months on the subs bench. The place was like any other office in the world (stunning view from my desk of the Thames), everyone was in their 30s, pleasant, and into music they didn't write about. The freelancers got paid buttons especially for London, and a lot of the writers saw their stint at the magazine as military service before going off to work for the Guardian or Uncut or whatever. Can't say I enjoyed my time there, but I did get to review a couple of bands for them at Glastonbury and interviewed a young Chris Martin from Coldplay who persuaded me (already skint) to buy him lunch at a Kings Cross greasy spoon. The magazine was going through a transition at the time - their sister magazine Melody Maker folded a week before I arrived - but now there's not much competition for the NME, so they rule the roost. For the meantime anyway.

theboysintheband
04-Mar-08, 21:01
I read the back for gigs, pretty handy like.

And like Rob said...they put you onto a lot of new bands with fresh sounds...some of which I'll like and a good lot more I won't. Didna really buy it tho...just a quick browse in the shop. The reviews a cack tho...

Aren't ''The Arctic Monkeys'' just ''Arctic Monkeys''.. .Thats makes them a better band doesn't it?!...Isn't that the rules around here?!?

Blast!
05-Mar-08, 03:30
make a point here. tell us why u dont read it.

Doggy, there are many reason why I don't read it.

For one, a simple resonse like "cos its the best release of new music available to us in the UK." makes me sick.

There are hundreds of sources of good new music. I don't even read the Guardian but check out their Saturday supplement, it's great.

Also, hoe about some websites? Music message board? I'm not going to name them but there are some fantastic ones where like minded people are talking about truly great music, it's a blessing.

WeeRob
05-Mar-08, 13:36
Doggy, there are many reason why I don't read it.

For one, a simple resonse like "cos its the best release of new music available to us in the UK." makes me sick.

There are hundreds of sources of good new music. I don't even read the Guardian but check out their Saturday supplement, it's great.

Also, hoe about some websites? Music message board? I'm not going to name them but there are some fantastic ones where like minded people are talking about truly great music, it's a blessing.

There are loads of great music magazines and the NME is one of them. There's been a few decent features recently.

And these websites have their detractors - I read Drowned In Sound and Pitchfork, but both have been accused of indie snobbery. And the DiS forums are full of unbearable idiots.

Read what you like. The only thing more tedious than a 14 year old kid who lives and dies by the NME is someone who grows out of that phase and relentlessly slags it off.

Debbie1984
05-Mar-08, 15:05
Was around the year 2000, worked there for 3 months on the subs bench. The place was like any other office in the world (stunning view from my desk of the Thames), everyone was in their 30s, pleasant, and into music they didn't write about. The freelancers got paid buttons especially for London, and a lot of the writers saw their stint at the magazine as military service before going off to work for the Guardian or Uncut or whatever. Can't say I enjoyed my time there, but I did get to review a couple of bands for them at Glastonbury and interviewed a young Chris Martin from Coldplay who persuaded me (already skint) to buy him lunch at a Kings Cross greasy spoon. The magazine was going through a transition at the time - their sister magazine Melody Maker folded a week before I arrived - but now there's not much competition for the NME, so they rule the roost. For the meantime anyway.

Wasn't it just for work experience though??

foreveruntitled
05-Mar-08, 15:18
The only thing more tedious than a 14 year old kid who lives and dies by the NME is someone who grows out of that phase and relentlessly slags it off.

Couldnt agree more.

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Mar-08, 15:29
Wasn't it just for work experience though??

Cut to the chase, 'Debbie'; what's your point?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Mar-08, 16:50
NME was okay but Melody Maker was better.Q is more consistent because they cover a greater range in music.Mojo was brilliant when it first arrived but seems so samey now.'The' Arctic Monkeys are so over rated.A few good tunes but the rest are mediocre.Pete Docherty and the Libertines are better,but are disowned because Pete takes drugs.Yet 'The Monkeys' can go up on stage pissed oot their faces on the Brits and its seen as cool.

Even still the reason I like Q over NME is because the bands who have lasted over the decades are still given a chance.Even Melody Maker noticed this.

Blast!
05-Mar-08, 18:26
The only thing more tedious than a 14 year old kid who lives and dies by the NME is someone who grows out of that phase and relentlessly slags it off.

I was never in "that phase", thankfully it completely passed me by. I've bought the NME maybe twice in my life and everytime it was terrible.

Boozeburglar
05-Mar-08, 20:13
I occasionally dabbled, but I was always a Sounds and MM man, until of course Kerrang! rocked my freakin world!

:)

foreveruntitled
05-Mar-08, 23:35
I've bought the NME maybe twice in my life

In that case, your in absolutely no position to slag it off.

Boozeburglar
06-Mar-08, 01:06
I will slag the Daily Sport off, and I have NEVER bought it!

Blast!
06-Mar-08, 08:17
In that case, your in absolutely no position to slag it off.

I'm in a perfectly good position to slag it off, I've read it many times.

Any one who thinks that Glasvegas' "Daddy's Gone" is worthy of the #2 spot of Track of the Year 2007 (see: http://www.nme.com/reviews/tracks/oftheyear) is an idiot. It's not a bad song by any means, but it's certainly does not merit the second best song of 2007.

Los Campesinos! "You! Me! Dancing!" at #49? C'mon!

Debbie1984
06-Mar-08, 10:30

zappster
06-Mar-08, 12:13
I only read the nme occasionaly coz sounds dizna exist any more haha(it was a far superior weekly imo!!
The only magazine i get regularly is claasic rock its braw oh & guitar world.

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Mar-08, 14:46
The NME editorial know their audience very, very well. They adhere to the style that has seen them become an institution, and have been sensible enough to stick to the formula that works. If you get upset by what is written within its pages, either take it with a pinch of salt or don't read it. Talking about it - be it good or bad - helps them, too.

rob murray
06-Mar-08, 16:13
The NME editorial know their audience very, very well. They adhere to the style that has seen them become an institution, and have been sensible enough to stick to the formula that works. If you get upset by what is written within its pages, either take it with a pinch of salt or don't read it. Talking about it - be it good or bad - helps them, too.

I dunno, their circulation is around 75,000 ( see below ) they may have a formula but it is one that has lead to a shrinking readership. As for institution, I would describe them as having an influence totally disproportionate to their actual sales figures. of course it could well be that the NME people network with similar type people involved in radio / tv content provision thus working in tandem pushing an obvious agenda and sewing up radio / tv content hence exposure..I could be wrong here though..just a hunch. Incidentally well done in actually working on the NME, thats a fair shout for a guy from the North..genuinely meant..well done !!

Q 140,282Mojo 114,183The Fly 108,683Uncut 93,678Kerrang! 85,377New Musical Express 73,008Classic Rock 62,699Metal Hammer 48,977Playmusic - Pickup 23,080Rock Sound 23,031Hot Press 19,168Playmusic 7,434

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Mar-08, 16:40
Where'd you get those figures from, Rob? The NME are in a very healthy situation right now. They run tours and awards now as well as running the magazine. I know a couple of people stilll there and all is hunky dory right now, but that can always change rapidly. Saying that, I don't expect NME to disappear anytime soon.

As Debbie rightly suggested, I did in fact get taken on for work experience. How she knows this is, quite frankly, is highly intriguing (care to enlighten me Debbie? For someone who has been registered with the org. for a couple of years and only made a handful of posts you seem quite a sneaky sort in order to discover that information), though the NME did offer me trainee wages later on, but it still wasn't enough to sustain living in London. So I left.

rob murray
06-Mar-08, 17:53
Where'd you get those figures from, Rob? The NME are in a very healthy situation right now. They run tours and awards now as well as running the magazine. I know a couple of people stilll there and all is hunky dory right now, but that can always change rapidly. Saying that, I don't expect NME to disappear anytime soon.

As Debbie rightly suggested, I did in fact get taken on for work experience. How she knows this is, quite frankly, is highly intriguing (care to enlighten me Debbie? For someone who has been registered with the org. for a couple of years and only made a handful of posts you seem quite a sneaky sort in order to discover that information), though the NME did offer me trainee wages later on, but it still wasn't enough to sustain living in London. So I left.

They are audited figures I obtained from a media company. The NME leverage value from the brand, as you rightly say club NME etc, but the core readership has shrank and doesnt hold up with other titles. My point is that relative to its circulation, the NME has a disproportionate influence on other related media / content..in my view. the NME at its height 77 78 79 80 81 had a circulation of c250,000 and that was with 4 other weeklies, ok on line content sites / changing youth interests will impact upon circulation but c 75 and falling.....I dunno !

WeeRob
07-Mar-08, 17:18
I'm in a perfectly good position to slag it off, I've read it many times.

Any one who thinks that Glasvegas' "Daddy's Gone" is worthy of the #2 spot of Track of the Year 2007 (see: http://www.nme.com/reviews/tracks/oftheyear (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.nme.com/reviews/tracks/oftheyear)) is an idiot. It's not a bad song by any means, but it's certainly does not merit the second best song of 2007.

Los Campesinos! "You! Me! Dancing!" at #49? C'mon!

Do you just read in the shop and then leave it on the shelf then? Good on you - stick it to the man!

Why are they idiots? Its all opinion mate, liking different music than you doesn't make them idiots......

Besides, no one takes those lists seriously no matter what publication they're in. And furthermore, that list contains quite a few surprises, as did the album list (Future Of The Left at number 13...)

WeeRob
07-Mar-08, 17:20

London's really expensive ain't it? Can't foresee the NME disappearing anytime soon, its such a huge cultural brand. The entire Topshop / major label indie thing would need to really hit the skids to cut the ground from under it.....

roblovesplastic
07-Mar-08, 18:54
Cut to the chase, 'Debbie'; what's your point?

spells

S T A L K E R

roblovesplastic
07-Mar-08, 18:58
Hopefully all reading this knows what the letters mean. NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS

Its the best mag for new music for indie/alt/types so what is everyone on about?

please tell me another magazine that makes their false discovery of 'new bands' co convince in?

;o)

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Mar-08, 11:44
The one and only Is This Music?