PDA

View Full Version : Degaussing a TV

Liz
03-Nov-05, 20:25
My TV had purple in the top and bottom left hand corners about a week ago and the only way I got rid of this was to switch the TV off and on again.
It happened last night again but this time was in all four corners.
Again it went away after switching it off and on a few times.

From searching through the internet I think there is a problem with the degaussing mechanism.
Just wondered whether anyone has had this problem and how was it resolved?

Thanks!

Geo
03-Nov-05, 20:59
You haven't by any chance added new speakers?

A friend had a similar problem after getting a cinema speaker package. Even though shielded for use with a TV the subwoofer speaker was causing the discolouration. Moving it a few inches further away cured it.

Gogglebox
03-Nov-05, 21:05
ooops i mis hit there see below

Gogglebox
03-Nov-05, 21:06
You might think this a bit strange but i got this tip from a tv repair man and its worked for me on various tvs
Turn your TV through 360 degrees - yes upside down and back to normal
I promise it works!
If its a big telly get someone to give you a hand

daviddd
03-Nov-05, 22:29
Cathode ray tubes are degaussed by a large coil of wire thatis wrapped around them. Degaussing is necessary because electromagnetic fields can build up in the tube, hence those purple or rainbow patches. The fields are removed when you turn the TV off, the coil effectively discharges these fields so that the picture is OK when you switch on again. It sounds here like the coil or its power supply is faulty. I think you can degauss, though probably less effectively, with an electric drill or anything with an electric motor; with the TV switched off switch the drill on, hold the motor (not the drill end!!!) close to the purple patch and switch the drill off without removing it from the TV.

TV repairpersons have a huge coil of wire that they use for this - maybe someone would lend you one?

Liz
03-Nov-05, 23:28
Thanks everybody!

I would need some of you to come over and help me turn the TV 360 degrees as it is really, really heavy!!!
No I haven't added new speakers Geo. All I have is a Freeview box and a VCR/DVD combi.

The purple patches aren't there all the time and switching the TV off and on again gets rid of them.Also it was four days between it happening.

I don't know whether it would work but a website suggested switching the TV on for one minute and off for twenty minutes or more and then repeating this?

There seems to be some debate as to whether you should switch the TV on and off from the front panel or remote and whether the TV should be left in standby.
I switch the TV off and on using the remote and it seems that this may not 'activate' the TV's degaussing mechanism?

I'm really not sure what to do and wonder whether the problem will just get worse?

Why do things go wrong just after the guarantee expires?!!!!

Ali
03-Nov-05, 23:44
I always find dropping it down the stairs and claiming on the insurance works !! lol

Geo
04-Nov-05, 00:26
Why do things go wrong just after the guarantee expires?!!!!

If it hasn't long expired you may still be able to get it fixed under warranty. The Sale of Goods Act includes a bit about durability and the expected life of the product comes into play. If it is not too long out of warranty you could ask the shop about a repair. Chances are they will say sorry it's out of warranty but if so you could mention the SOGA.

Liz
04-Nov-05, 00:36
If it hasn't long expired you may still be able to get it fixed under warranty. The Sale of Goods Act includes a bit about durability and the expected life of the product comes into play. If it is not too long out of warranty you could ask the shop about a repair. Chances are they will say sorry it's out of warranty but if so you could mention the SOGA.

I think it may actually be a few months since the warranty expired I'm afraid but I will try. I actually bought off the internet.

Thanks!

Liz

Geo
04-Nov-05, 01:06
A few months should be fine if it was a 12 month warranty as a TV would be expected to last years.

Liz
04-Nov-05, 01:27
I'll get in touch with the shop I bought it from.

Thanks!

millwood
04-Nov-05, 07:41
think the degaussing mechanism is the problem , and you got to weigh up whether to get an engineer to look at it ( if you can find one who will come when you want them to) or go down to inverness and buy another telly !!!

Know which one I'de pick

Liz
04-Nov-05, 13:53
I would hope I could get it sorted as it's just over a year old!!!!!

wi46
04-Nov-05, 22:13
This is a problem with either a strong magnet close to TV or having the set on while on its side.

It WILL be a speaker close by trust me

Liz
05-Nov-05, 13:55
There isn't a strong magnet closeby: the TV has never been on whilst on it's side (it's so heavy I couldn't put it on it's side!) and I don't have speakers.

KILTIECAULDBUM
05-Nov-05, 15:31
Hi.
I had a similar problem about a year ago and was told it was ''magnetised'' caused by an electrical storm (I don't have any speakers beside mines either) It is a large screen Toshiba tv which has a de-magnetiser built in. Seemingly most tellys have them? In order for it to work, I was told to switch the tv off at the wall and leave it off for at least 2 hours!! I left it for about 3 hours. When I switched it back on it was back to normal and I have never had the problem again (touch wood)
Give it a try & see? At least it won't cost you anything, and you won't be missing much while it's off anyway!!
Hope it works for you too.

Liz
05-Nov-05, 18:59
Thanks a lot! I will certainly try that! Did you take plug out?

I will leave it off overnight tonight.

I think it may have been caused by an electrical storm as it first happened on a very 'overcast' night.

Thanks again!

Liz

Bobinovich
06-Nov-05, 17:58
I had a similar problem with a computer monitor and took it to Alacam in Thurso who ran a portable de-gausser around it, curing the problem for just a fiver. If you're in Thurso they should be able to pay a quick visit, if not then is there any repair shops in your area who could do the same for you.

Liz
06-Nov-05, 18:38
I read that you can get a 'degausser wand' but not sure where from?

I phoned Colin Chessor and he said he would send someone this week to degauss it but not sure how?

I unplugged the TV overnight as suggested by Kiltiecauldbum so will see if that works. There is no purple today, so far, but it only happens every couple of days usually so will have to wait and see.

Thanks!