PDA

View Full Version : I wonder why...

Raven
03-Mar-08, 12:27
they do this? I have passed this place on many times and on a number of occasions there were the foxes hanging out.
Having passed a dead fox hanging over a fence on Saturday, I remebered this pic and thought I post it here.

Maybe there is somebody who can shed a little light on why they do hang the foxes like that...

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/Scotland-visions/3-1.jpg

meu04223
03-Mar-08, 12:36
i think it is an attempt to scare other foxes away or to prevent them from coming back to the area. i think it would be better to put one on each fence, that way the foxes might be put off from entering from any angle. its sad to see anything dead but if this is needed then it is just a fact of life.

ciderally
03-Mar-08, 18:17
intresting pic but not nice to see..maybe we can be enlightened as to why its done...

buggyracer
03-Mar-08, 19:12
where was this pic taken raven?

Liz
03-Mar-08, 19:30
OMG that is horrible!:(

KCI
03-Mar-08, 19:59
This is a horrible scene. Sorry, I'm an animal lover, and I hate seeing this. :(

Foxy
04-Mar-08, 00:48
The foxes are hung on the fence to let farmer's know they were caught on there ground. I know some people will say it's awful to shot a fox but try imagining being a farmer and when you go out in the morning you have 6 dead lambs lying in the field and all that is missing is a head or a tail, that's what foxes do for fun and unless they are stopped they keep on doing it. [disgust]

Raven
04-Mar-08, 09:08
The foxes are hung on the fence to let farmer's know they were caught on there ground. I know some people will say it's awful to shot a fox but try imagining being a farmer and when you go out in the morning you have 6 dead lambs lying in the field and all that is missing is a head or a tail, that's what foxes do for fun and unless they are stopped they keep on doing it. [disgust]

I would have maybe thought that the gillie has to show some sort of proof that he did something....
But initially I guessed that it might have had something to do with doing something with the fur afterwards....
Its not a nice thing do see, but from a farmers point of view it has to be done...
I am glad that I have to "shoot" animals only with my camera though!!

@ Buggyracer

The photo was taken at a farm in the west...

octane
04-Mar-08, 10:53
I gather its the same reason for hanging rabbits, once the kills been made hang them while there still warm as there riddled with fleas etc as they like a warm environment, so when the foxes body temp goes cold they will fall off and land on the ground. Then the ghillie will come along later and take them away.

The content of the photo will not be nice to a lot of people but its well captured and has fantastic clarity

nirofo
04-Mar-08, 18:34
Yes, it does make any normal person wonder why, doesn't it ???

It can only be for the hunter killer instinct born into some people, in others it's just pure spite and glorification!

Here's 2 photo's of gibbets showing the magnificent hunting prowess of the morons doing this dastardly deed.

The odd crow or fox I can semi understand, but to kill any wildlife in these sort of numbers is unnecessary and is counter productive in the protection and well being of other species.

Anyone who wants further information is welcome!

nirofo.

24 Foxes on Gibbet.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/FoxGibbet-24.jpg

56 Hooded Crows on Keepers Gibbet.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/56-Crows-on-Gibbet.jpg

nirofo.

nirofo
04-Mar-08, 18:37
Here's 2 more photo's of Gibbets, sorry to be so gory, but this subject really riles me. IT'S SO UNNECESSARY!!!!!!

nirofo

Keepers Gibbet.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Keepers-Gibbet.jpg

Moles on Gibbet.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Molesongibbet.jpg

nirofo.

Liz
04-Mar-08, 18:51
You are correct in that these pictures are horrendous and sickening.

As you say I can understand the 'odd' fox being killed if they are posing a threat to new born lambs but why on earth do they need to be killed in such large numbers?

I think the person who killed all these foxes, moles and crows just enjoys killing!

A very emotive subject I know but having seen a fox being chased by a pack of dogs I find it sickening.

These animals have a right to live in the countryside as that is their home and once again man shows its total dominance over all species.:(

rob16d
04-Mar-08, 19:23
Liz and folks....I'm really sorry to say this...and not in an arguementative or sick way...but people do enjoy shooting foxes, crows etc...but it is legal and it helps farmers and they aren't extinct...but displaying them is wrong...

KCI
04-Mar-08, 19:27
I find this so sickening - I'm not having a go at the people who took the photos, but to kill so many animals and then display them in such a horrible way is beyond comprehension. It is unnecessary and sickening. This shouldn't be allowed.
Sorry - I'd better stop typing now, before I get too angry! [disgust]

rob16d
04-Mar-08, 19:33
LIke I said KCI, I don't have a problem at ALL witht he animals getting killed...just a little bit grossed out by the presentation....but they do make a good photo subject!

KCI
04-Mar-08, 19:46
LIke I said KCI, I don't have a problem at ALL witht he animals getting killed...just a little bit grossed out by the presentation....but they do make a good photo subject!

We will just have to agree to disagree then, won't we? [disgust]

Liz
04-Mar-08, 19:54

A good photo subject?!!:eek:

Totally disagree and there is absolutely no need to kill such large numbers of 'pests'.

This is just a massacre.:(

unicorn
04-Mar-08, 20:23
Being honest I don't understand the moles but to see such large numbers of foxes in one area and hooded crows, well they could devastate a farmer and his livestock. I don't agree with it but I can understand why they are killed.

cuddlepop
04-Mar-08, 20:41
For me its just personaly too much information.
i know it goes on and in some cases necessary but this appears barbaric ,its like someone's trophy fence.:~(

Rheghead
04-Mar-08, 20:43
Obviously the tactic of scaring away other foxes isn't working if there is a line of many dead foxes on a line?

I suspect it is another farmerism excuse to go out shooting unnecessarily.

Raven
04-Mar-08, 20:46
Yet, there is still no enlightment why the animals are hung that way???

@ Nirofo,
your photos are well shocking! To see such numbers being displayed is horriffic. I am nor pro or contra hunting, but this is well ott in my eyes.

What is the yellow creatures? Is it ferrets?

Foxy
05-Mar-08, 00:15
[quote=Raven;351738]Yet, there is still no enlightment why the animals are hung that way???

They are hung up to show they were shot on that farm.

Foxy
05-Mar-08, 00:26
I suspect it is another farmerism excuse to go out shooting unnecessarily.

Do you have a clue about farming, i expect not. Foxes can do major damage to farmers livelihood's i know of one farm that lost over 40 lambs and we have lost 15 lambs over a couple of nights. If i posted pics of lambs with only heads and tails missing maybe your view of foxes might change but then again you would probably say it's just natures way. [disgust]

Rheghead
05-Mar-08, 00:37
If i posted pics of lambs with only heads and tails missing maybe your view of foxes might change but then again you would probably say it's just natures way. [disgust]

The only tail docking I've seen is by farmers with a large knife with no anaesthetic or any stitching afterwards. That puts a mockery on any care that farmers have for their flock.

The only headless lamb corpses I've seen is due to the mass factory farming that this nation supports.

I suspect that deaths of animals due to farming practices outweighs any to natural kills. Lets be right, the only reason why farmers kill foxes is for their own financial welfare and not for any care for their animals.

Foxy
05-Mar-08, 00:56
The only tail docking I've seen is by farmers with a large knife with no anaesthetic or any stitching afterwards. That puts a mockery on any care that farmers have for their flock.

The law says lambs must be docked under 7 days of age, if you see anybody docking tails of older lambs you should lift up your phone and call the rspca immediately as they can prosecute farmers for breaking the law.

Foxy
05-Mar-08, 01:00
I suspect that deaths of animals due to farming practices outweighs any to natural kills. Lets be right, the only reason why farmers kill foxes is for their own financial welfare and not for any care for their animals.

Thanks very much just you tar all farmers with the same brush. :mad:

Lolabelle
05-Mar-08, 03:46

The only headless lamb corpses I've seen is due to the mass factory farming that this nation supports.

You would not believe the devestation foxes can inflict on a flock of ewes with lambs. And although I don't like hunting or to look at such pictures, my immediate thought at such a lot of dead foxes is that there must have been an absolute infestation of them in the area. So after they have killed all the sheep, and cause the farmer to go broke, are you going to help support them financially and be happy to pay even huger prices for meat??
And you should see what crows can do to lambing ewes, like peck the ewes eyes out, and kill the lamb as it is being born.
As for docking tails, I am not sure about in the UK, but out here it is a lot better to dock the tail of a lamb than to allow it to become fly blown and be eaten alive by maggots.
At least these animals a quickly and humanely killed, by the looks of things. Not chased and terrified and eaten alive. Get some of those scenes on here if you want horrific pictures.

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 07:54
It is to show where the foxes have been culled.

Rheghead
05-Mar-08, 09:55
are you going to help support them financially and be happy to pay even huger prices for meat??

I haven't eaten lamb for about 15 years now. However I would support them to diversify into other forms of income....:roll:

Rheghead
05-Mar-08, 10:06
You would not believe the devestation foxes can inflict on a flock of ewes with lambs.

Farmers tend to attribute a dead sheep with something they are familiar, eg foxes.

A lot of years ago, my grandfather attributed the many headless chickens in his hut to a fox. He went out and shot a fox indiscriminately and displayed it similar to nirofo's pics. He restocked and it happened again. He killed another fox. He restocked again and again it happened but he was able to get to the commotion before the culprit left the scene. It was next door's wippet and he promptly shot it. It seems to me that foxes do a get a bad reputation but it isn't all their own work.

If farmers want to get real about living sustainably with their environment and care for their animals, then they need to change the way they do things rather than go in with a gun or a bulldozer.

Lets face it, the farmers were their own worst enemies when it came to BSE, foot and mouth, lysteria, e-coli, and Edwina Currie's eggs. And they had the gall to blame it all on everyone else than theirselves.

Lolabelle
05-Mar-08, 11:15
Farmers tend to attribute a dead sheep with something they are familiar, eg foxes.

I don't doubt that what you say is correct, I wouldn't know about the instances you mention, but I believe you. That doesn't mean the foxes don't kill chickens and lambs. I know first hand that they do. I have seen them in the act and the results.
My father shot 3 of our dogs in one morning when they got into the chook pen and killed all our chooks, so I know pets are predetors too, but so are foxes and crows.
Don't know anything about the moles though. We have feral pigs out here too, and they are nearly as big a problem as foxes. Most of our pests are introduced though, where as your pests are native.

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 11:17
I think moles damage grazing ground....they certainly damage crops etc

buggyracer
05-Mar-08, 11:41

How long have you been a farmers Rhegs??? Pretty broad statment. :lol:

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 13:02
It is quite broad...............People have SEEN foxes killing livestock.

Rheghead
05-Mar-08, 13:57

It is broad enough but just because foxes kill sheep or whatever doesn't mean that the best way forward is to kill foxes. Has it ever occurred to the dumbest of farmers what the broader implications of their actions actually do? Have they never thought that foxes actually work in their favor?:confused

I've seen a lot written about foxes and rabbits and I know enough to say that a fox will take an easier prey than a harder one. Perhaps allowing an acceptable level of livestock predation is better than taking out the fox completely? Rabbits harm lots of things and the fox is our top predator, it seems there is a lot of scope for a symbiotic existence with foxes. And I know I am not talking rubbish because I know of farmers that think the same way. Rabbit population explosions lead to farmers taking drastic measures like bringing in rabbits that are affected by mixy, that leaves the public put off by rabbit meat so compounding the problem and denying farming a source of income.

Given farmers and their misinformed logic around badger culls then I think there is a lot of scope for enlightening farmers. It was them that led to the destruction of Britain's higher end of biodiversity in the first place!

Liz
05-Mar-08, 14:29
http://www.nfws.org.uk/pro/pests.htm#sheep Some interesting reading on this site.

buggyracer
05-Mar-08, 14:34
It is broad enough but just because foxes kill sheep or whatever doesn't mean that the best way forward is to kill foxes. Has it ever occurred to the dumbest of farmers what the broader implications of their actions actually do? Have they never thought that foxes actually work in their favor?:confused

I've seen a lot written about foxes and rabbits and I know enough to say that a fox will take an easier prey than a harder one. Perhaps allowing an acceptable level of livestock predation is better than taking out the fox completely? Rabbits harm lots of things and the fox is our top predator, it seems there is a lot of scope for a symbiotic existence with foxes. And I know I am not talking rubbish because I know of farmers that think the same way. Rabbit population explosions lead to farmers taking drastic measures like bringing in rabbits that are affected by mixy, that leaves the public put off by rabbit meat so compounding the problem and denying farming a source of income.

Given farmers and their misinformed logic around badger culls then I think there is a lot of scope for enlightening farmers. It was them that led to the destruction of Britain's higher end of biodiversity in the first place!
g

i doubt any farmer/keeper would wish for the total eradication of foxes, just for them to be mana6ed to an acceptable level.

Rheghead
05-Mar-08, 15:06
g

i doubt any farmer/keeper would wish for the total eradication of foxes, just for them to be mana6ed to an acceptable level.

I bet they would have said that about wolves.

Liz
05-Mar-08, 15:11
g

I don't know how many foxes there are in Caithness but if 24 are killed at any one time this must make a huge impact on their numbers. If all the animals in the photos were shot by the same person then it was just a killing spree.

danc1ngwitch
05-Mar-08, 15:13
is it not a well known fact that the sly old fox hunts mainly rabbits etc?
Lambs are not normally the easiest of prey for the mothers will defend.. I don't know i am no expert.

danc1ngwitch
05-Mar-08, 15:16
People will blame through anger etc.
We kill, for the sheer sake of it, ( at times ).
When they introuduce the big bad wolf then what?

buggyracer
05-Mar-08, 16:03

another sweeping statemant with no proof to back it up? How many farmers did you talk to all those years ago when the last wolfe in scotland was killed Rhegs :lol::lol: unless you can stick to facts and not generalisations then theres no point in discussing this?

to compare the wolf to a fox is a bit silly in itself, a fox can and will kill a newborn lamb, whereas a wolf can and will kill a full grown sheep, fox, dog, cat, calf, foal, deer........... the list goes on if you like i can too????

golach
05-Mar-08, 16:26
Lambs are not normally the easiest of prey for the mothers will defend.. I don't know i am no expert.
Sorry dancingwitch, I disagree, the sly old fox, is an oppertunist and will hunt and kill virtually any thing, one killed 12 bantams I had as a child, did not eat them, just killed them. luckily (not for the fox) he got caught by my father in the chicken run.

Rheghead
05-Mar-08, 19:12
another sweeping statemant with no proof to back it up? How many farmers did you talk to all those years ago when the last wolfe in scotland was killed Rhegs :lol::lol: unless you can stick to facts and not generalisations then theres no point in discussing this?

If you don't see any point in discussing this then don't, nobody asked you, unless, are you trying to suppress my opinion just because you disagree with it?

I think that link that liz provided gave some food for thought.

buggyracer
05-Mar-08, 19:29
If you don't see any point in discussing this then don't, nobody asked you, unless, are you trying to suppress my opinion just because you disagree with it?

I think that link that liz provided gave some food for thought.

well dont try and offer your opinion clouded as that of fact or others/farmers opinions and ill be happy to continue the discussion ;)

Rheghead
05-Mar-08, 19:34
well dont try and offer your opinion clouded as that of fact or others/farmers opinions and ill be happy to continue the discussion ;)

Pray tell where I said that was a fact? I mentioned the word 'bet' which suggests uncertainty, please read my posts more closely before shouting your mouth off at a tangent.

Opinons don't need to be backed up with facts. Have you any facts to back up your need to exterminate the fox?

Liz provided some statistics that support there is little need to go out shooting foxes and I believe them, there you go, I have some facts.

buggyracer
05-Mar-08, 19:44
Opinons don't need to be backed up with facts. Have you any facts to back up your need to exterminate the fox?

Liz provided some statistics that support there is little need to go out shooting foxes and I believe them, there you go, I have some facts.

your making accusations on behalf of others with no facts to back them up.

anyway this is all OT back to the topic, i agree 100% with the culling of foxes humanely, would i like to see them totally eradicated NO, NEVER.

But having seen this picture it looks to me like all the carcasses are fresh therfore they look like they have been culled in a short period of time, now to me to cull this amount of foxes in one short period tells me that wherever this happened there must have been a serious fox problem!!!

Having lived on a farm in my youth i have seen first hand the damage a fox can do to lambs and let un-checked it would cost the farmer a pretty penny!

also for the record i do not agree with the lining up of the dead foxes.

PS when did i shout, calm down fella ;)

Boozeburglar
05-Mar-08, 19:49
Foxies.

So evil.

I likes to wrestle them with me bare 'ands, an',

Smother 'em tae death wi' me tongue!

percy toboggan
05-Mar-08, 20:09
It's a cruel world...I love to look at a fox but can understand they are a pest. Not my province the country...or farming...much less hunting...so I can't condemn. Not pleasant to see but there are worse images.

It's a cruel world.

Dusty
05-Mar-08, 20:25
The refinery where I work is home to at least two foxes and there is a wealth of prey for them in the area.
Several of the guys will feed the fox and there are pictures of a fox taking food from the hand.
The place is alive with rabbits and you can occasionally see the odd set of rabbit bones or a skull. However after the gulls start to hatch from May onwards and then attempt their first flights, the foxes have a field day.
Having said all that, I cannot recollect seeing the rabbit or seagull remnants of a frenzy. Perhaps with the urbanised fox this trait has lapsed?

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 20:27
Anyway..............thanks for posting those pics....

unicorn
05-Mar-08, 20:30
I have heard of the devastation to even rabbit keepers from foxes, one breeder in England had a family of urban foxes camping out on her flat porch roof after tearing apart her hutches and killing the rabbits, she was devastated and had an awful time getting rid of them as she had rabbits in her shed and they knew it. Her alsation didn't even put them off. She eventually gave up and rehomed the rabbits as the foxes were even digging under her shed.

cullbucket
05-Mar-08, 21:32
Best thing you can do with a fox is make it into a cosy hat - you can then use it to keep the goat warm..... greetings from alaska

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/pmowat/IMG_2231.jpg

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 22:13
awwww cute

Foxy
05-Mar-08, 22:35

Lets face it, the farmers were their own worst enemies when it came to BSE, foot and mouth, lysteria, e-coli, and Edwina Currie's eggs. And they had the gall to blame it all on everyone else than theirselves.

I am only talking about lambs as far as i'm aware adult sheep are very unlikely to be killed by foxes.

Rheghead yet another sweeping statement as far as i recall the foot and mouth crisis and the egg scare were all down to the government. Wasn't it a government lab that let the foot and mouth virus free? and then were stupid enough to say the country had the all clear and they couldn't even get that right us farmers were back to square one and losing money but is the government going to give us the money we lost, not likely. [disgust]

Foxy
05-Mar-08, 22:40

The fox will take lambs especially if the ewe has 2 lambs as she can't defend both.

Rheghead
05-Mar-08, 22:42
There is nothing wrong with making sweeping statemments if it makes you challenge every one that I make.;)

KCI
05-Mar-08, 22:50
awwww cute

Glad someone finds dead animals cute. [disgust]

Of course, you would see it as cute - you think it's fine for people to kill animals.

Liz
05-Mar-08, 23:11
awwww cute

Rob I really like you and I know you are a nice lad but do you seriously think the head of a dead animal mounted on a wall wearing fur from another dead animal is cute?!!!!!!:roll::eek:

Liz
05-Mar-08, 23:29
Foxy I know that you and your hubby are good and caring farmers and quite understand you wanting to protect your livestock.
I also understand,even though I hate killing, that culls may sometimes be necessary.

What I object to is the killing of large numbers of animals just in case they 'might' kill.

Also I know that there is a large population of rabbits and would rather they were dealt with humanely rather than given the horrible disease max.
However, surely killing all these foxes will only make the rabbit population increase even more?
Aren't we upsetting the balance of the whole eco-system?

Where on earth did all these ferrets (I take it that's what they were?) come from?

Also how many animals are maimed and left to suffer a long lingering death rather than being killed outright?
More so by the amateur who just goes out taking pot shots as they enjoy killing.

Not an easy subject but feel there must be a way of dealing with it rather than the slaughter we have seen?

nirofo
06-Mar-08, 18:31
your making accusations on behalf of others with no facts to back them up.

anyway this is all OT back to the topic, i agree 100% with the culling of foxes humanely, would i like to see them totally eradicated NO, NEVER.

But having seen this picture it looks to me like all the carcasses are fresh therfore they look like they have been culled in a short period of time, now to me to cull this amount of foxes in one short period tells me that wherever this happened there must have been a serious fox problem!!!

Having lived on a farm in my youth i have seen first hand the damage a fox can do to lambs and let un-checked it would cost the farmer a pretty penny!

also for the record i do not agree with the lining up of the dead foxes.

PS when did i shout, calm down fella ;)

Hi Buggyracer

The foxes were killed over a fairly large area in Sutherland by one man! Not on his own land ??? Foxes are territorial animals, the dog fox will not normally tolerate another on his patch, so it's fairly obvious that this killing spree was not a farmer going out to protect his livestock from the odd marauding fox, but a deliberate attempt to go out and kill as many foxes as he could shoot for his own gratification. The hanging of the foxes on a fence, (gibbet) just goes to show the sort of mental attitude some people take in the lust for self acclaim. If it were just the odd fox that was being shot to protect livestock, then there is some justification in the farmer doing that, unfortunately it doesn't just end with the fox. Golden Eagles, Red Kites and Buzzards are regularly poisoned, shot and trapped, Peregrine Falcons are shot and their eyries destroyed, Hen Harriers are shot and Merlins have their moorland nesting territories burnt out every year by irresponsible crofters and others throwing down a lighted match and then walking away to let the moorland burn!!! All these birds, (except the Buzzard) are Schedule One Protected Species, it is an offence to harm these birds in any way whatsoever, but it doesn't stop the morons who think nothing of our extremely scarce wildlife.

nirofo.

nirofo
06-Mar-08, 18:39
Foxy I know that you and your hubby are good and caring farmers and quite understand you wanting to protect your livestock.
I also understand,even though I hate killing, that culls may sometimes be necessary.

What I object to is the killing of large numbers of animals just in case they 'might' kill.

Also I know that there is a large population of rabbits and would rather they were dealt with humanely rather than given the horrible disease max.
However, surely killing all these foxes will only make the rabbit population increase even more?
Aren't we upsetting the balance of the whole eco-system?

Where on earth did all these ferrets (I take it that's what they were?) come from?

Also how many animals are maimed and left to suffer a long lingering death rather than being killed outright?
More so by the amateur who just goes out taking pot shots as they enjoy killing.

Not an easy subject but feel there must be a way of dealing with it rather than the slaughter we have seen?

Hi Liz

The "ferrets" are actually stoats, weasels and sqirrels. Most of these creatures would have been trapped in Fenn or illegal Gin traps, many would die a long lingering death in the trap, probably just caught by the foot or the tail.

Here's a close up of the animals on the gibbet.

nirofo.

Keepers gibbet corpses.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Keepersgibbetcorpses.jpg

nirofo.

Liz
06-Mar-08, 19:50
Hi Nirofo

That is awful!!!:(

How on earth can someone take pleasure in killing all these animals and beautiful birds?

It's bad enough them being shot outright but to think of the pain they go through if caught in traps or are wounded.

Very, very sad.

Thanks for highlighting this. No matter how painful it is to look at photos like this we need to be aware that it is going on.

It is a sick individual who can do this in the first place but then to display his kill shows a twisted mind.

The problem is what can we do about it?

Liz

Lolabelle
07-Mar-08, 12:35
We all seem to agree that these photo's are pretty awful, regardless of whether or not we agree about the culling practices of farmers etc...
But I have a question for the photographers, and no offence intended at all, but how do you see a line of dead animals as a photo opportunity? A genuine question and absolutely not a criticism. I don't like to look at dead animals, and cant imagine thinking to grab my camera and take a photo.

nirofo
07-Mar-08, 21:55
We all seem to agree that these photo's are pretty awful, regardless of whether or not we agree about the culling practices of farmers etc...
But I have a question for the photographers, and no offence intended at all, but how do you see a line of dead animals as a photo opportunity? A genuine question and absolutely not a criticism. I don't like to look at dead animals, and cant imagine thinking to grab my camera and take a photo.

Hi Lolabelle

The photographs and many more in my photo library were taken for one specific purpose and that is to let people know just what is happening to our beautiful and scarce wildlife! They have been used in various conservation magzine and book articles depicting the type of wildlife destruction that is going on every day, day in, day out with very little effort from our conservation bodies to do anything meaningful to stop it. The photo's have also been used many times during Natural History talks and slide presentations to various societies, both in Caithness and elsewhere. The persecution of all the birds of prey (Raptors) is at an all time high, poisonings with banned substances is rife throughout the shooting estates and sheep country, Caithness and Sutherland is well up near the top of the list of perpetrators. Even when the culprits are caught red-handed the sentences metered out to them is laughable. Many of the Sheriffs, Magistrates, Judges etc are biased towards the shooting fraternity, with many having their own vented interest in ensuring the estate owners etc are not penalised too severely. Many are estate owners or shooting syndicate members themselves, therefore ensuring maximum penalties under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 are never given.

The point of posting these shocking photographs on a public forum is to raise debate about the plight of our creatures, in this case it has done just that!

nirofo.

Lolabelle
08-Mar-08, 01:24
Thanks for the info nirofo, I didn't realise these photo's were not from us. I can understand now what is being said in the above. It will always be a tough subject, we have the same kind of problems with wildlife here, and the same opposing sides of the argument. Conservation of the native predators v's the people trying to make a living from the land. People in the cities and from elsewhere see Kangaroo's as "Skippy" but in some areas they are a real problem. Without the natural disasters like bushfires to slow reproduction down, and the natural cycle of drought etc, and the artificial "good season" of the 'roo's eating crops, we have an epidemic of Kangaroos. So now they are a pest. And there are shooters here too, and maybe some take photo's of the dead 'roos too, but I still don't like the look of it. But at times and in certain circumstances there is a need to cull them. I would imagine some of the circumstances are similar in your neck of the woods.
And the displaying of the bodies is still pretty distasteful.

Margaret M.
10-Mar-08, 03:29

Yes, let's protect the lambs so we can .............. kill and devour them?

Margaret M.
10-Mar-08, 03:32
What nauseating sights! What a hard heart it takes to kill these animals and display them so proudly.