PDA

View Full Version : Help!

rob16d
03-Mar-08, 07:44
I recently bought some houseplants....my kittens keep trying to eat them....how do I get them to stop? Please help before my plants are no more!

Mr P Cannop
03-Mar-08, 07:54
put your plants in a high place

mccaugm
03-Mar-08, 10:04
Sprinkle pepper around the base of the plants. They apparently don't like the smell so that may help. Good Luck!

unicorn
03-Mar-08, 10:07
have you just tried making a noise they don't like when they approach them like psssst? works for mine :D

The Angel Of Death
03-Mar-08, 10:16
Tape the cats mouth shut ???

But on a serious note try is lemon or orange peel beside the plant aparently they hate the smell

chaz
03-Mar-08, 10:16
have you just tried making a noise they don't like when they approach them like psssst? works for mine :D

That works with ours also, they soon get the message:)

ciderally
03-Mar-08, 10:31
That works with ours also, they soon get the message:)
yea this is a good one as with the pepper...you get the painting done yet??:lol:

The Angel Of Death
03-Mar-08, 10:41
You could be cruel and use a water pistol (dont suggest a supersoaker unless you want to be really cruel) and give the cat a wee squirt whenever they go near

unicorn
03-Mar-08, 10:44
I have tried a spray bottle with mine but find my aim is rubbish and the noise works faster and saves me wiping down the walls :lol:

teddybear1873
03-Mar-08, 10:47
I recently bought some houseplants....my kittens keep trying to eat them....how do I get them to stop? Please help before my plants are no more!

Grow some Jamaican woodbines. The cat will have seconds thoughts after eating that.

Rheghead
03-Mar-08, 10:57

A few drops of citronella in the pot should do the trick.

Margaret M.
03-Mar-08, 15:06
It is natural for cats to eat grass and they will nibble plants when their stomach is upset. Be sure that the plants you have are not toxic to cats, some can be fatal. A list of poisinous/toxic plants can be found here:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_toxicplants

rob16d
03-Mar-08, 19:35
It's very well clapping etc...but I'm not in during the day so they attck them...I'd like 2 have plants through the house but for now I just put them in one room and shut the cats out.....so pepper will work definately?

KCI
03-Mar-08, 20:06
My cats always eat flowers and houseplants etc, so I just stopped buying them, or keep them in a room that the cats can't get into. Mind you, the only room my cats don't go in, is the bathroom!

If your cats are indoor cats, make sure you are providing them with grass - if they are not getting any grass, maybe that's why they are heading for the plants.

My cats have their own grass in the house - they are indoor cats.

Oh, and as Margaret M has already said - make sure your plants are not poisonous/toxic. Someone sent me flowers once, and my little cat ate some of them, and was violently sick. Had to rush him to the vet, and luckily he was OK, but I never had flowers in my house again! Gave me too much of a fright.

rob16d
03-Mar-08, 20:24
Ok cool, cheers for that...where can i get cat grass from?

KCI
03-Mar-08, 20:28
Ok cool, cheers for that...where can i get cat grass from?

Go and dig some out of your garden...........:lol:

Nah, I'm only kidding! You can buy it from pet shops. It comes in a foil pack, full of grass seeds. You just add water, and put it somewhere dark, and when it has grown - just put it somewhere for your cats to eat.

I bought my little cat one of those grasshead things once, and he loved it! :lol:

rob16d
03-Mar-08, 21:12
how much are they?