Lolabelle
03-Mar-08, 03:11
And he loves to eat corn and grapes.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/Lolabelle_2007/DSC01896.jpg

Big Jean
03-Mar-08, 03:22
And he loves to eat corn and grapes.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/Lolabelle_2007/DSC01896.jpg

He is beautiful Lolabelle . Love his colours .

Torvaig
03-Mar-08, 09:51
He's a beauty Lolabelle, what colours....:)

unicorn
03-Mar-08, 10:11
I am sure he is going to grow up to be a complete stunner :D is he very noisy?
I once looked after an incredibly talkative cockatiel for a friend and it was a nightmare, it used to ring like a phone, squawk like seagulls, shout it's owners name and a variety of other very loud noises.... nightmare :eek:

Lolabelle
03-Mar-08, 11:12
I am sure he is going to grow up to be a complete stunner :D is he very noisy?
I once looked after an incredibly talkative cockatiel for a friend and it was a nightmare, it used to ring like a phone, squawk like seagulls, shout it's owners name and a variety of other very loud noises.... nightmare :eek:

He isn't very noisy yet but bring it on, my house is way too quiet. I am trying to teach him to say "Give us a Kiss"

carasmam
03-Mar-08, 11:34
He's lovely Lolabelle, beautiful colours. :cool: Do Lorikeets pick up words quite easily? Hopefully he will be quite easy to train since you got him so young.

Lolabelle
03-Mar-08, 11:45
He's lovely Lolabelle, beautiful colours. :cool: Do Lorikeets pick up words quite easily? Hopefully he will be quite easy to train since you got him so young.

Yes, carasmam, lorikeets speak really well. Charly hasn't started talking yet, he is still a baby. But I can't wait until he does, he loves to snuggle up to my neck and make lovely little chirrupping sounds. He is so cute.

WeeBurd
03-Mar-08, 13:24
Lolabelle, he's absolutely adoreable!!

carasmam
03-Mar-08, 13:31
Aah I love when they snuggle !! The cockatiel we had when I was growing up would gently turn your earrings round and snuggle in making little chicken noises, lovely.... You'll have to put a video on when he's talking, I'd love to se it :D

lady penelope
03-Mar-08, 13:34
Wow, he is stunning,I bet he is very clever, he'll soon be bossing the family!;)

cuddlepop
03-Mar-08, 14:15
Hi All,
this is Charly, he is our new baby, he is 7 weeks old and a rainbow lorikeet
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/Lolabelle_2007/DSC01907.jpg
Ok ,own up you've been attacking it with a "painting by numbers" set.lol
gorgeous.

Phoenix200416
03-Mar-08, 15:17
Awww! He is lovely! What vibrant colours! He's gonna be a stunner when he's a grown up :D Thanks for the share. Will be interested to hear how he is getting on in the future :D Do keep us posted

Liz
03-Mar-08, 15:19
Oh what a wee cutie!:D

His colours are magnificent!

honey
03-Mar-08, 15:31
Hi All,
this is Charly, he is our new baby, he is 7 weeks old and a rainbow lorikeet
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/Lolabelle_2007/DSC01907.jpg

awww!! i want one!!!

stewart4364
03-Mar-08, 18:37
Hi,
When did you get the lorikeet and where are you keeping it? What are you feeding it on? They are beautiful birds, very similar colours to the Eastern Rosella.

Lolabelle
03-Mar-08, 21:52
Hi,
When did you get the lorikeet and where are you keeping it? What are you feeding it on? They are beautiful birds, very similar colours to the Eastern Rosella.

I got him last Friday, so have only had him 4 days. He has a large cage that is on wheels, and it spends most of the time in the living area of the house. But Charly spends most of his time out and about. He loves to sit on my shoulder and natter in my ear, or trying to pull my rings from my fingers. I take him outside (he has a clipped wing) and he stomps around on the grass, or climbs the bottlebrush tree. They are a nectar eating bird, so he eats a wet mix and lots of fruit and veg. His absolute favourites are red or green grapes and corn on the cob. Not fussed on apple or kiwi fruit or strawberries.
I got him from pet shop called Hunter Pets at Thornton NSW and he cost $200, as he is hand raised and so much happier to be handled, where as aviary birds cannot be handled.
I didn't want a bird that had to stay in the cage all the time so that's why I paid the extra money. And it was worth it.
I was never a fan of birds in cages, so I don't really know what possessed me to buy one. But he is such a character and loves to be with me. He is hardly in his cage, but is usually helping me on the computer or sorting papers. As I work at home and Dave is away through the week, he is excellent company.

KCI
03-Mar-08, 21:54
Wow - he is gorgeous! :)

Julia
03-Mar-08, 22:20
He is stunning!

Mother Bear
04-Mar-08, 04:38
Hi Lolabelle,
I am currently in Oz for 3 weeks visiting my son in Brisbane, but spent last week in a campervan touring around. As an ardent bird watcher I have been amazed at all the beautiful birds you have over here.......lorikeets by the hundreds in the early evenings...a fantastic sight. We found camp-sites by the river, almost on the beach and up in the mountains, all different habitats for the different and spectacular birds. I think my favourites were the superb fairy wrens, about 4 males, and a dozen females and youngsters just a couple of metres away from the campervan. They were facinating to watch....just a bundle of bright blue body fluff and a long tail!
I shall be sad to leave Oz on Friday, esp when I see the temps. back in Caithness!!

Lolabelle
04-Mar-08, 05:54
Hi Lolabelle,
I am currently in Oz for 3 weeks visiting my son in Brisbane, but spent last week in a campervan touring around. As an ardent bird watcher I have been amazed at all the beautiful birds you have over here.......lorikeets by the hundreds in the early evenings...a fantastic sight. We found camp-sites by the river, almost on the beach and up in the mountains, all different habitats for the different and spectacular birds. I think my favourites were the superb fairy wrens, about 4 males, and a dozen females and youngsters just a couple of metres away from the campervan. They were facinating to watch....just a bundle of bright blue body fluff and a long tail!
I shall be sad to leave Oz on Friday, esp when I see the temps. back in Caithness!!
I am so glad you have had a nice time in Australia, and yes the wild birds are awesome. I am still battling with having Charly in a cage at all. Still he isn't in it all that much.

And it is a pretty big cage.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/Lolabelle_2007/DSC01928.jpg

Lolabelle
04-Mar-08, 06:41
And Charly loves a swim. In his drinking water!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/Lolabelle_2007/DSC01927.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/Lolabelle_2007/DSC01925.jpg

stewart4364
04-Mar-08, 10:37
Hi,,

They are nectar/pollen feeding birds as you say. A cage, although this may be ideal in your circumstances. is not the ideal place for a lorikeet -- an aviary is the ideal place. I feel the shop possibly sold the bird to you when it was still very young, 61/2 weeks, whereas lorikeet are usually weaned around 9 weeks. Unless the person who bought the bird is capable of finishing off the weaning process I do not think the shop should sell them at this very young age. I am not insinuating that you are not capable of this but I am just pointing out that birds are far to often sold before proper weaning.
I have been keeping and breeding (incubating the eggs and hand rearing but also letting the parent birds rear the babies) birds for 30 years. I have and had small finches,budgies, cockatiels, bourkes, splendids, turquoisines, wydahs, lories, golden-mantled rosellas, crimson rosellas, kakarikis, touracoos, indian ringnecks, rock pebblars, alexanderines,senegals. nanday,jendaya and sun conures, lovebirds, amazons, african greys, lesser sulphur cockatoos, and macaws. The majority if not all of the birds I keep and have kept have been captive bred rather than having been captured in the wild. The death rate is enormous with birds captured in the wild before they even reach this country and ultimately the dealer.
Australia is abound with all types of exotic birds but unfortunately, I believe, they do not allow the export of any of the birds. I would love to come to Australia to see them in their natural habitat.

WeeBurd
04-Mar-08, 12:48
He is so photogenic, Lolabelle, he's almost like a wee cartoon! He looks like a right wee rascal too, taking a fly dip. Way way too cute!!! [lol]

Lolabelle
04-Mar-08, 22:23
Hi,,

They are nectar/pollen feeding birds as you say. A cage, although this may be ideal in your circumstances. is not the ideal place for a lorikeet -- an aviary is the ideal place. I feel the shop possibly sold the bird to you when it was still very young, 61/2 weeks, whereas lorikeet are usually weaned around 9 weeks. Unless the person who bought the bird is capable of finishing off the weaning process I do not think the shop should sell them at this very young age. I am not insinuating that you are not capable of this but I am just pointing out that birds are far to often sold before proper weaning.
I have been keeping and breeding (incubating the eggs and hand rearing but also letting the parent birds rear the babies) birds for 30 years. I have and had small finches,budgies, cockatiels, bourkes, splendids, turquoisines, wydahs, lories, golden-mantled rosellas, crimson rosellas, kakarikis, touracoos, indian ringnecks, rock pebblars, alexanderines,senegals. nanday,jendaya and sun conures, lovebirds, amazons, african greys, lesser sulphur cockatoos, and macaws. The majority if not all of the birds I keep and have kept have been captive bred rather than having been captured in the wild. The death rate is enormous with birds captured in the wild before they even reach this country and ultimately the dealer.
Australia is abound with all types of exotic birds but unfortunately, I believe, they do not allow the export of any of the birds. I would love to come to Australia to see them in their natural habitat.

Hi Stewart,
I dont know if you realise, but I am in Australia.
Charly is about 7 weeks and yes, after I had got him I found out how young he was, and I was quite shocked. But I have lots of friends with these birds and he is doing well. He is definately hand raised and is out and all over the house most of the time. I also have an aviary that when I get it put up, (is really quite big 4m x 3m) he will be able to go there aswell.
Thanks for your advice and help
Lola

stewart4364
05-Mar-08, 07:48
Hi Lolabelle,

I did know you were in Australia -- looked up your profile. If you are ever in Scotland you are more than welcome to come and see our menagerie. It should make a lovely holiday coming to Scotland.

Cheers for now

Stewart

rob16d
05-Mar-08, 08:21
I can see why they're called RAINBOW!!!!