PDA

View Full Version : To all the horsey people out there....

simpsoney
03-Nov-05, 17:52
Please help.

I am hoping to put my mare in foal next year and i am looking for a stallion. Not quite sure the exact details yet but can anyone recommend one preferably in the Highland Area? My mare is a Cleveland Bay x Thoroughbred and i have been told to put her to an arab or something similar but i would welcome any details of other stallions.

millwood
03-Nov-05, 18:00
is she good looking ?

porshiepoo
03-Nov-05, 18:23
It depends on what you want to use the foal for and what sort of size you're hoping to get from it, also take into account your mares temperment and try to be careful not to increase on any negative temperment by using a breed that could do that.

If you're hoping for something finer why not go back to a thoroughbred? Likewise, if you're hoping for more bone why not go back to a clydesdale?

Arabs are great for stamina if you're hoping to do any long distance riding.
I once had an old english cross egyptian arab mare. The good thing with that cross was that she wasn't as fine as what maybe a straight egyptian may be, but personally I find them flighty!

millwood
03-Nov-05, 18:33
Egyptians are never straight, cos they do that funny dance . and im an arab , and i know how to blow up its nose. Come mare you !!

paris
03-Nov-05, 19:21
Get intouch with raymond gun, the coalman from lybster. His girlfriend has quite a few horses, maybe they can advise you .

DrSzin
03-Nov-05, 19:27
Egyptians are never straight, cos they do that funny dance . and im an arab , and i know how to blow up its nose. Come mare you !! Well I'm part Arab too, in fact I'm Egyptian by descent, so step aside you single-issue lothario -- she's mine! Unless she's called Camilla, in which case you can keep her.

porshiepoo
03-Nov-05, 20:36
Surely not Egyptian DrSzin! A relic yes

fred
03-Nov-05, 20:58
Please help.

I am hoping to put my mare in foal next year and i am looking for a stallion. Not quite sure the exact details yet but can anyone recommend one preferably in the Highland Area? My mare is a Cleveland Bay x Thoroughbred and i have been told to put her to an arab or something similar but i would welcome any details of other stallions.

I know of a very nice Section D Welshie near by or a Clydesdale X Highland that was still entire last I looked.

millwood
03-Nov-05, 21:19
come on people . stop makin foals of yourself . Theres neigh point to this !

millwood
03-Nov-05, 21:20
Thought Camilla was a crocodile . !!!!!!!

unicorn
05-Nov-05, 14:32
I am hoping to do some general competing with the foal, probably mostly show jumping or working hunters. I dont want to go any finer than my mare but i would like something that is not flighty!!! I am tempted by part arabs or along that lines.

millwood
05-Nov-05, 15:46
Well do me a favour and dont get a police dog handler to train your foal . It may acquire a liking for running through a 15 foot cloth tunnel , over a little see saw , then through a hoop of fire .

Police dogs are good at that !!!

simpsoney
07-Nov-05, 10:17
Millwood & Dr Zin, I know some of you have nothing better to do than take the mickey on these forums but some of us are genuinley looking for help or information.

porshiepoo
07-Nov-05, 13:04
I am hoping to do some general competing with the foal, probably mostly show jumping or working hunters. I dont want to go any finer than my mare but i would like something that is not flighty!!! I am tempted by part arabs or along that lines.

Personally I find arabs too flighty, but that is just a personal opinion.
I prefer the cobby type and if you're interested in working hunter classes then obviously you'll not want to go too fine.
What is it about arabs that you like? What quality is it in them that you think will help you to achieve the foal you want?
What kind of size are you hoping to get out of your mares foal?

masseyboy
07-Nov-05, 20:09
Just to prove Millwood that camilla is indeed a horse & not a crocodile please follow link for picture http://misscanada.blog.lemonde.fr/misscanada/images/image001_1.jpg