PDA

View Full Version : Really Terrible Orchestra

helenwyler
02-Mar-08, 18:53
What an inspired idea of Alexander McCall Smith's!

An orchestra composed of the musically-challenged.... where enthusiasm is more important than talent. No pre-requisite grades, no obligation to practice, or even to play in tune. Each performance guarantees an electrifying sense of self-discovery, unconstrained by preconceptions!
[lol]

How refreshing and how very British...there must be loads of classical instrumentalists who have fallen by the wayside, but who would love the chance to have a good old scrape or blow in the company of other rusty or talent-free musicians...

Could we have an .Org Orchestra? Or just a quartet? Remember lack of vituosity is no bar.....all welcome!:cool:

I'll volunteer for the cello section!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/musical-nohopers-strike-chord-398953.html

grumpyhippo
02-Mar-08, 19:56
I always wanted to be the soloist in Griegs' piano concerto ( in A minor). I'm a great advocate of the Eric Morecombe style of playing , I don't play the wrong notes.......I just the right notes but in the wrong order!!!!

Angela
02-Mar-08, 20:02
Well....I did learn to play the triangle in primary 1 :roll: -and I think that's what I'd better stick to...:lol:

helenwyler
02-Mar-08, 20:30
Sorry Angela, no escape! The triangle is an important orchestral instrument, and your pings will be welcome at whatever point you choose to grace us with them.;)

Grumpyhippo - you're on! What more could we ask than that you can play all the notes:cool:.

tootler
04-Mar-08, 16:13
Hey, Helen, you're in luck - we do have our very own RTO in Caithness! The Caithness Orchestra is a group of amateur musicians with varying degrees of skill and talent who all play just for the fun and the challenge. You'll find rusty music graduates sitting right beside adult beginners - there is no audition procedure and enthusiasm is the only qualification! We've been on the go for over 25 years and we still can't get the right notes in the right order!

Angela, there's a vacancy for a percussionist (yes, that's you, triangulator extraordinaire!) And Helen, you must know that there's always a seat for an extra 'cellist in any amateur orchestra - ours is no exception! Grumpy-H, I'm not sure if the rest of us could cope with Grieg's piano concerto, but we can make a special request of our long-suffering conductor and you never know.....

We usually rehearse Wednesday evenings (7.30 - 9.30) at Thurso High School during school term-time - you're welcome to come along and introduce yourself, bring an instrument or just a smile. Or have a laugh and a listen at our forthcoming concerts - Wed 23rd April in Wick Old Parish Church and Friday 25th April in Thurso High, both starting at 7.30.

Looking forward to seeing loads of new .org faces at the next rehearsal....

justine
04-Mar-08, 16:22
my musical love was for the trumpet and keyboard...Good at one crap at the other......

But hey was never too good at blowing through little holes;)

golach
04-Mar-08, 16:25
this is a wonderfull Orchestra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oQJd2Tobuk

Angela
04-Mar-08, 16:33
Angela, there's a vacancy for a percussionist (yes, that's you, triangulator extraordinaire!) And Helen, you must know that there's always a seat for an extra 'cellist in any amateur orchestra - ours is no exception! Grumpy-H, I'm not sure if the rest of us could cope with Grieg's piano concerto, but we can make a special request of our long-suffering conductor and you never know.....

Hi tootler, welcome to the Org! :D

Thanks so much for the kind invitation, it all sounds great fun. Sadly though, I live in Edinburgh and Helen's further south, so I think we'd need magic carpets -or free plane tickets -to get to your rehearsals! :(

All the very best for your upcoming concerts!

Penelope Pitstop
04-Mar-08, 16:43
Can I be the drummer???? lol ................. I'd love to be able to play the drums !!!:)

helenwyler
04-Mar-08, 20:28
Hey, Helen, you're in luck - we do have our very own RTO in Caithness!
We usually rehearse Wednesday evenings (7.30 - 9.30) at Thurso High School during school term-time - you're welcome to come along and introduce yourself, bring an instrument or just a smile. Or have a laugh and a listen at our forthcoming concerts - Wed 23rd April in Wick Old Parish Church and Friday 25th April in Thurso High, both starting at 7.30.

I'm very envious tootler, and I'd be there if I lived anywhere near...maybe a flying 'guest' appearance when I next visit Caithness :lol:.

OH too..he's a very approximate flautist but hey, it's good for his asthma ;).

Have you got any drums for Penelope Pitstop?

Mizpah
04-Mar-08, 21:21
my musical love was for the trumpet and keyboard...Good at one crap at the other......

But hey was never too good at blowing through little holes;)

:) Hi which is your good one and where did you learn it?

horseman
04-Mar-08, 21:50
Any room for an air guitar;)

helenwyler
04-Mar-08, 21:54
Any room for an air guitar;)

Sure. As long as it's an accoustic one;)!

George Brims
04-Mar-08, 22:24
Many years ago there was an outfit called the Portsmouth Sinfonia, which was very similar. John Peel used to play them sometimes. I was painting a room with no furniture but a lamp and a radio one evening, and they woke up one of our bairns in the next room!

Prof McCall Smith has had a lot of wonderful ideas in his time, but an orchestra like that isn't one of them. It's a wonderfully British thing in either case. I can't see it being done in America. The ability to laugh at yourselves is a sign of a more mature culture. In the US for example there has never been a Red Nose Day for Comic Relief.

Information here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Sinfonia

You can even buy recordings (if you dare):
http://www.portsmouthsinfonia.com/