PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Cancer Support Group

Fran
02-Mar-08, 03:57
At last, the first meeting of the Caithness Cancer Support Group will be held on Wednesday 16th April.
As many of you will know from my previous posts, I have wanted to start a support group for some time , for people whose lives are, or have been ,, affected by cancer. This group is for people suffering from cancer,their families, carers, and for family members who have lost a loved one to cancer. It is in fact for anyone affected in any way by cancer. Also for those who have lost someone, this is very important to me, as they need to speak about their grief with others who have been through it. Also cancer sufferers would like to talk to others with similar problems. It always helps to speak to someone else. I know Robbie wanted to talk to other men with lung cancer but this never happened, and he really wanted this group to get going. i am just saddened that he is not here to see it take off. I know he would have been really pleased, we talked about it so much.
I have been in contact with other cancer support groups , also gp's and nurses, and our wonderful macmillan care nurses who i hope will attend this meeting.
There will be a guest speaker, Mrs Carole Bridge, centre head/Nurse Consultant of Maggies Highlands at Raigmore Hospital, and tea/coffee will be served. It will be advertised in the press and on the radio as well as by posters which i must get made.
It will be held in the tartan room in the Francis Street club, Wick. at 7.30 pm and i am looking forward to seeing a lot of people there.:lol:

anneoctober
02-Mar-08, 13:51
I wish you every success Fran. You'll be providing a much needed and long overdue support group. Anne xxx:)

pat
02-Mar-08, 14:35
Best Wishes to this much needed group - go on, go along and air your worries and thoughts, much better to talk about it than keep worrying away about something, often needlessly.
Join them for a laugh and giggle as well as a serious discussion - not all doom and gloom, a hand of friendship will be stretched very willingly out to all who go along I am sure.
The first step is the hardest - if you do not want to go along on your own contact Fran, I am sure she will arrange someone to accompany you and introduce you to some other folk going along.

Venture
02-Mar-08, 15:01
Well done Fran for getting this much needed group off the ground. Cancer affects so many people in so many different ways. I always feel that children of cancer sufferers find it very difficult to understand and I hope that this new group can help them too in some way. Its not a subject any of us find easy to talk about and thats why cancer sufferers and their relatives sometimes feel very isolated. This group will bring everyone together and give much needed support. I hope for you it helps you to deal with your grief for Robbie. He would have been very proud of you and what you are doing for so many others. Good Luck.

highlander
02-Mar-08, 15:06
Well done Fran, im sure you will be helping a lot of people, i wish this was in it years ago when my mum had cancer, so much easier to talk to someone who is also going through this terrible illness and for carers to be able to voice thier concerns too.

telfordstar
02-Mar-08, 15:33
Im sure that this will be alot of help to folk in the area when they need someone to turn to. Well done fran

Anne x
02-Mar-08, 15:35
Very well done Fran all the very best to you and the group I am sure a lot of people will benefit from it

ciderally
02-Mar-08, 15:36
well done fran, and i wish you all the very best xx

balto
02-Mar-08, 22:54
good luck with this brilliant group wish you every success