PDA

View Full Version : Ground source heat pump

Highland Laddie
01-Mar-08, 15:39
Hello there.

I'm building a new house later this year, and i am planning on installing a ground source heat pump to supply underfloor heating.

I was just wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge of the system
(good or bad)

justine
01-Mar-08, 15:43
you ay find this link usefull...Have no personal experience in laying it but have heard its good for cold mornings, saves the slipper wearout....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underfloor_heating

Dog-eared
01-Mar-08, 15:46
I think they work best in running water.
Stops the collector freezing up.

DeHaviLand
01-Mar-08, 15:53
No, I think they work best in the ground.:roll:
Sorry this post is no use to you HL, but if the other two can do it..............;)

TBH
01-Mar-08, 16:03
Sorry this post is no use to you HL, but if the other two can do it..............;)You can have them in a pond or a river or in the open air.

DeHaviLand
01-Mar-08, 16:08
You can have them in a pond or a river or in the open air.

Then that would be a water source heat pump, and an air source heat pump:roll:

TBH
01-Mar-08, 16:37
Then that would be a water source heat pump, and an air source heat pump:roll:So, your problem with dog-eared's perfectly accurate post was? Watch ye dinna hurt yur eye muscles.

DeHaviLand
01-Mar-08, 16:41
So, your problem with dog-eared's perfectly accurate post was? Watch ye dinna hurt yur eye muscles.

Perfectly accurate if the OP had asked for info on water source heat pumps:roll:

Kevin Milkins
01-Mar-08, 16:59
I believe there is a company in Ullapool that do this sort of thing and had a conversation with a guy down that way that told me it can be very good source of heating. I think this company bought the Hydroponics place over at Achiltibuie.
Good luck

Highland Laddie
01-Mar-08, 17:14
Thanks for all the replies folks.

I have spoken to the people in Ullapool
I was just wondering if any orgers had fitted it
as I think I.H.S. (Invisible Heating Systems) in Ullapool
may be just a little bias toward the system.

Liz
01-Mar-08, 19:00
I would be really interested if you get any more info about this type of heating as I am looking to replace my coal fire but don't know what to change to!:roll:

TBH
01-Mar-08, 19:06
Perfectly accurate if the OP had asked for info on water source heat pumps:roll:
So by your logic someone else is not allowed to comment on another system using water which is a better thermal conducter.[lol]

gollach
01-Mar-08, 19:41
I could be wrong but my understanding of these systems is that they are not all that good at heating up a cold house every day, the way you might expect a coal fire to work.

To get a satisfactory system, I am told that you must have an energy efficient home in the first place (double glazing, draught free, etc.) as you can't get the high temperatures that fires and radiators produce.

Anyone with one of these systems care to comment?

TBH
01-Mar-08, 19:44
Applied logic, Not in the least bit cheeky to dog-eared well done, Your the man.[lol]

Highland Laddie
01-Mar-08, 19:46
I could be wrong but my understanding of these systems is that they are not all that good at heating up a cold house every day, the way you might expect a coal fire to work.

To get a satisfactory system, I am told that you must have an energy efficient home in the first place (double glazing, draught free, etc.) as you can't get the high temperatures that fires and radiators produce.

Anyone with one of these systems care to comment?

LOL I can assure you, if you go through the planning for a new house nowadays, energy efficiency is high on their list.

DeHaviLand
01-Mar-08, 19:47
So by your logic someone else is not allowed to comment on another system using water which is a better thermal conducter.[lol]

Applied logic, well done. Your the man.[lol]

Are you just looking for an argument, or maybe you thought you had something intelligent to say? No? Thought as much. Bye.

TBH
01-Mar-08, 19:48

Anyone with one of these systems care to comment?It makes sense to insulate your home properly as this will further reduce your energy bills and these systems are apparently very cheap to run. Savings all round.:D

Rheghead
01-Mar-08, 20:38
I contacted Invisible Heating Systems and described my circumstances and heating requirements and they advised me to stay with the heating that I have already, wood burner! [lol]

Riffman
01-Mar-08, 20:47
Contact this chap:

http://www.accumulatortanks.co.uk/Contactus.htm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.accumulatortanks.co.uk/Contactus.htm)

He works on all kinds of renewable energy stuff and inspects systems.

Give him a phone and he will be able to point you towards people who have systems installed.

Cheers,

Sam

I'm da Mamma
01-Mar-08, 21:01
Hi Highland L

My understanding of a ground source heat pump (installed from new as opposed to a retro fit) is best suited to underfloor heating. I am sure you understand the principles of the system so i won't bore you with all the tech details.

If however it is a retro fit, you must upgrade the radiator size because it needs a bigger surface area to achieve the temperature required to feel comfortable.

I read in the John o Groat Journal that someone at Caithness Energy Advice is studying micro-renewables at the moment, you might want to contact them for further info.

Highland Laddie
01-Mar-08, 21:07
Again folks, thanks very much for all the replies, advice and links

it's all very much appreciated.

Liz
01-Mar-08, 23:56
Does anyone in Caithness sell wood burning or multi fuel fires?

Rheghead
01-Mar-08, 23:58
There is a shop in Wick, I don't know the name of it but it is past Mackays hotel on the way to the swimming pool on the right.

DeHaviLand
02-Mar-08, 00:56
Its the Heat Centre, Burn Street. Tel 01955 604314

Liz
02-Mar-08, 13:55
Thanks both.:D

Boboowest
02-Mar-08, 21:45
A heat pump can be used to provide hot air heating. I have seen one working in Sweden with outside temp below -5C. If the temp falls below -10C for a longer period they do eventually stop producing heat. In Sweden and parts of Denmark they are the most common type of heating system and would be very suitable in Caithness. I had considered fitting one myself but retro is difficult and expensive, to do it right. On a new build I would certainly be considering this option. If your really stuck for information PM me and I will get further information on the systems available.

kara
03-Mar-08, 12:33
Hey HL

Just to let you know my dad put oil underfloor heating in his house last year. The house hadnt been livedin for 10 years and it now feels so warm al the time and was only filled the oil tank once :)

He looked into the underground heating and was going to go for it, until he reailsed that the pump that you need, to turn ground heat into house heat! Is very expensive if it breaks down. Id look more into that to find out more information. But good luck with your build and go for some form of underfloor heating its great.

skimeister
03-Mar-08, 13:23
I have been investigating these too. I have a direct contact with a company called ICE Heating.

They are very well recommended and there is a £1500 grant available from the Environment agency

I'll be fitting one next year, they are expensive but the money return only takes 2 yrs on the savings achieved. The good points are that you can either bury it at 1m deep if you have a large area to do so but if not then a deeper "bore hole" can be dug the achieve the same surface area require for the Glycol tubing.

If it is a retro fit then I agree that larger radiators will be required, however if it is a new build or a total refurb then I would suggest the new style skirting boards that runs tubing behind it and this allows free flow of heat around the house/ rooms.

Hope this helps

Ski

Penelope Pitstop
03-Mar-08, 15:38
Don't have a ground source heat pump, but....

I've got underfloor heating downstairs in my house. It was fitted by Invisible Heating Systems in 2001. To be honest I thought they were very expensive. I remember the guy fitted the work in around a family "do" he was coming up to on a weekend. On the Saturday he was there with a kid of about 11 giving him a hand....I wasn't that impressed..... At the time we struggled to find firms that fitted underfloor heating. If you or someone you know has half a scoobie doo you could do it yourself...it's not rocket science....although they would like you to think that (that's the under floor heating pipes I mean):confused

I have mine under caithness flag and it works a treat..just like a big night storage heater.....warm night and day. When the heating goes off it's still heating the house...

Highland Laddie
03-Mar-08, 19:32
Thanks folks, i am certainly looking into all the phone numbers addresses and links you have sent me.

Much appreciated.

Penelope Pitstop
07-Mar-08, 11:16
Wow... just been doing a bit of investigating into this ground heat pump system...it sounds too good to be true:D

As someone has already posted, looks like you could get the cost of installing the system back in a couple of years.........I'll be doing more digging so will keep you posted.

Just ordered oil today at over 49p per litre so we'll be trying to find a new form of heating.....and soon at that price.:(

Highland Laddie
07-Mar-08, 14:25
Wow... just been doing a bit of investigating into this ground heat pump system...it sounds too good to be true:D

As someone has already posted, looks like you could get the cost of installing the system back in a couple of years.........I'll be doing more digging so will keep you posted.

Just ordered oil today at over 49p per litre so we'll be trying to find a new form of heating.....and soon at that price.:(

You can also apply for a 30% grant

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/schri/

Penelope Pitstop
07-Mar-08, 17:03
You can also apply for a 30% grant

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/schri/ (http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/schri/)

Thanks for that info. I thought max that could be got was £1500 from Environmental Agency.:D