PDA

View Full Version : Xmas number 1`s

willowbankbear
02-Nov-05, 19:47
Its nearly that time of year again folks, so who was your most &least favourite number 1 at christmas time? I hated any by phoney Kliff Frichard:mad: East 17 is about the only half ok xmas no.1 and its not up 2 much ,so let me ken what you think folks

hereboy
02-Nov-05, 19:54
Slade - end of discussion.

The only Christmas song that should be allowed - ever.

Any Christmas song by a group with a bloke called Noddy Holder has to be pure class.

So here it is, merry Christmas, everybody's having fun!

Oh and that one by Paul MacCartney about the Christmas in the trenches - If I remember right that one was OK.

All the rest - esp. Mistletoe and Wine - absolute tosh.

willowbankbear
02-Nov-05, 19:58
Slade - end of discussion.

The only Christmas song that should be allowed - ever.

Any Christmas song by a group with a bloke called Noddy Holder has to be pure class.

So here it is, merry Christmas, everybody's having fun! IU forgot about at 1, How could I? the shame, ill not sleep tonight ye ken:rolleyes:

brandy
03-Nov-05, 07:59
*Laughs* silent night, joy to the world, silver bells, *Grins* waiting for the classics to come back into style without being "improved"

paris
03-Nov-05, 10:47
Wizards... i wish it could be christmas everyday.... brill !!
Cliff richards... mistletoe and wine...... yuck !! funny though, i seam to remember all the words to BOTH songs lol lol
la la la la la la la la everyday la la la la mistletoe and wine la la la la la la la ala

jay
03-Nov-05, 11:37
don't think it actually reached No. 1 but my favourite was Kirsty McColl and the Pogues with Fairytale in New York ,closely followed by Wizard (which ony got to number 2)

didn't like last years version of "Do they know it's christmas"

Lindarabett
03-Nov-05, 12:14
The East17 one is really good, though not perhaps 'Christmassy'. I like a lot of the older stuff that is on ALL the xmas albums. Agree with comments about Cliff Richard; not my scene. My oldest (13) has to write a song for music, and is currently singing "walking around in women's underwear" to the tune of "Walking in a Winter Wonderland". The mind boggles, hopefully it won't get past the school's music room and into the charts! The naff no.1s, though fun, are annoying, unless it's by someone like French & Saunders and done for charity. Now I've been on this thread, I'll be humming festive tunes all day and driving everyone nuts!!

squidge
04-Nov-05, 11:52
I liked greg lake's I beleive in Father Christmas

I like slade and wizard - they are great

Liked Chris de Burghs Spaceman came travelling

HATE East 17

HATE Cliff Richard

porshiepoo
04-Nov-05, 12:29
'chestnut's roasting on an open fire' every time.

Dean Martin: 'Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow'

'Have yourself a merry little christmas'.

Sorry, think most of the new ones are naff! :D

paris
04-Nov-05, 13:03
I remember a few years ago, driving around with my friend in her 4x4 and she had a cd of all the oldies played at xmas, as mentioned above. God it drove me mad !!! Mind you, they are more festive i surpose.

porshiepoo
04-Nov-05, 17:13
I remember a few years ago, driving around with my friend in her 4x4 and she had a cd of all the oldies played at xmas, as mentioned above. God it drove me mad !!! Mind you, they are more festive i surpose.

Glad you could learn a thing or two my young apprentice! :D :D

motopitcrew
04-Nov-05, 18:15
yes the pouges fairy tail in new york best christmass lyric ever
merry christmass your arse

paris
04-Nov-05, 18:19
The only thing i learnt was... I HATED IT ! ha ha

Sporran
04-Nov-05, 19:02
Not sure if it actually hit number 1 or not, but I've always rather liked John Lennon's "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" :

So this is Christmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun
And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young

A very Merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

And so this is Christmas
For weak and for strong
For rich and the poor ones
The world is so wrong
And so happy Christmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

A very Merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Without any fear

And so this is Christmas
And what have we done
Another year over
A new one just begun
And so happy Christmas
We hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young

A very Merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Without any fear
War is over, if you want it
War is over now

Happy Christmas!

DrSzin
04-Nov-05, 19:53

Glad you could learn a thing or two my young apprentice! :D :D Am I to conclude from this that our anti-pollution campaigner drives a 4x4? Now that would make my day. :cool:

paris
04-Nov-05, 20:05
sorry to dissapoint you but no.

willowbankbear
04-Nov-05, 21:49
yes the pouges fairy tail in new york best christmass lyric ever
merry christmass your arse The Pogues should be Banned,End OF Arguement. Can`t ban Kirsty mccoll coz shes dead im afraid. Bing Cosby is ace for driving thru Sunny W.K with white christmas blaring ! Should see all the looks you get fae the old wifies, they wink & smile! Dead funny

DrSzin
04-Nov-05, 22:02
sorry to dissapoint you but no. Ach, what a pity. It would look so good parked outside one of your hotels.

As for Christmas songs, I go with Slade, Wizzard, & Winter Wonderland. Lennon is ok too -- I've been known to quote from that song on here before.

Unlike life after death, I do believe in Father Christmas. In fact, I once was Father Christmas -- at a nursery Christmas Party. I stepped in at the last minute when their regular guy was kidnapped by elves. Moreover, I was so good that I was asked back to do it again the following year. A more unlikely Father Christmas you will never meet. ;)

porshiepoo
04-Nov-05, 22:56
Am I to conclude from this that our anti-pollution campaigner drives a 4x4? Now that would make my day. :cool:

No longer do I pollute the earth with the said vehicle DrSzin, however I do believe a new purchase would be a wise move so that I can off road round the remaining fields when all the development has increased the vehicles on the road bumper to bumper. :D :D