PDA

View Full Version : Zero's No More

WickLad08
29-Feb-08, 23:24
Zero's is due to re-open on Friday 21st of March reverting back to the well known name of "The Yard".

If there is anything you would like to see us doing, any popular bands you would like to see and even down to the dishes you would like on the menu please let us know.

You can either leave a message here or email us on the.yard@live.co.uk .

It's your pub, you are the customer, so let us know what you want!

New Lessee

footie chick
29-Feb-08, 23:38
Good Luck hope you bring it back to life.

WickLad08
29-Feb-08, 23:44
Good Luck hope you bring it back to life.

Thanks for that footie chick. Anything you would like to see?

footie chick
29-Feb-08, 23:48
Haven't been out in Wick for 12 years+ due a night out soon. :lol: Just the general atmosphere when it was Carters was good and everyone went there. You might try promotions and good bands to start with to get people in?

superted
29-Feb-08, 23:52
It always used to be a place that would never find any under age in...That would be a start...

like what was said before....bring back the atmosphere carters had...:lol:

dandod
01-Mar-08, 01:06
i think you will have to spend a lot of money doing the place up.the place does not even have toilet seats. in fact the last time i was in there i went to trhe toilet and there was no lights in there.no undeagers would be a great start.perhaps some brighter paint on the walls i like the meals there but when you went during the day it was very dark and could not see your food.good luck i hope it works out for you.

BRIE
01-Mar-08, 13:56
good luck to you in your new venture.
would be good to see no under agers, proper glasses, & less of the smoke machine. other than that just a good clean.

Julia
01-Mar-08, 15:14
Good luck, it will be nice to see the place open again under new management!

A warm reception in a family friendly pub would make me happy ;), oh and good food!

dessie
01-Mar-08, 16:47
the young irish lass. that was the chef made great meals...:lol:

christina
01-Mar-08, 17:19
get a couple off big bouncers on the door that will keep the youngsters away it worked with me untill i was 18 anyway it used to be jam packed in there when it was carters

telfordstar
01-Mar-08, 17:26
Who has taken it over is it someone local?

Gizmo
01-Mar-08, 18:26
the young irish lass. that was the chef made great meals...:lol:

Without this descending into a war of words Des, she is not a Chef and it's wrong to claim she is, she may have cooked the meals for a period of time last year but that in no way makes her a Chef, John Burns was the trained and qualified Chef that created those recipes and cooked those dishes until he left.

WickLad08
01-Mar-08, 19:36
Without this descending into a war of words Des, she is not a Chef and it's wrong to claim she is, she may have cooked the meals for a period of time last year but that in no way makes her a Chef, John Burns was the trained and qualified Chef that created those recipes and cooked those dishes until he left.

and you admitted to theft the last I read from you Gizmo so I really don't think you have an awful lot of room to talk

dessie
01-Mar-08, 19:46
gizmo u dont give john burns much credit he was the one that tought her.what she knows.and also she is my daughter...

WickLad08
01-Mar-08, 19:48
I think that Gizmo should earn the art of silence

justine
01-Mar-08, 19:53
How about an afternoon on sunday just for parents with children..No alcohol has to be sold or it is is in moderation..I knew a place in England that had this set up where families and only families were allowed until a certain time of day....Then the children had to be taken home...

I am not saying children should be in a pub, but it offers parents somewhere to go have a few soft drinks with their families and not have to worry about people getting drunk or rowdy..
Anyway just a suggestion...

WickLad08
01-Mar-08, 19:54
How about an afternoon on sunday just for parents with children..No alcohol has to be sold or it is is in moderation..I knew a place in England that had this set up where families and only families were allowed until a certain time of day....Then the children had to be taken home...

I am not saying children should be in a pub, but it offers parents somewhere to go have a few soft drinks with their families and not have to worry about people getting drunk or rowdy..
Anyway just a suggestion...

Hows about an old day roast offer and maybe an indoor bouncy castle on Sunday's? Would that interest families?

superted
01-Mar-08, 19:56
I'm sure they used to have some sort of childrens room in Carters?? or I'm I thinking about somewhere else?

WickLad08
01-Mar-08, 19:59
I'm sure they used to have some sort of childrens room in Carters?? or I'm I thinking about somewhere else?

I am not sure how possible a children's room would be but I am sure we could do something for children and use the space a bit better

superted
01-Mar-08, 20:05
Hows about an old day roast offer and maybe an indoor bouncy castle on Sunday's? Would that interest families?

At least your asking the the publics opinion(very refreshing)

trying something different in Wick could be a wee money spinner...

Look at spoons!!!

I wish you all the best in your new venture!!!

duncan1969
01-Mar-08, 20:14
john burns is going to be the chef again get darts and pool compitions on will take money in

WickLad08
01-Mar-08, 20:17
john burns is going to be the chef again get darts and pool compitions on will take money in

was that you asking or telling me that John Burns is going to be the chef again?

carasmam
01-Mar-08, 20:33

Good idea :) Nice to see someone putting some thought into it and getting public opinion.

All the very best in your venture.

youngmiller7
01-Mar-08, 21:12
a bouncy castle for the sunday drinkers haha

mums angels
01-Mar-08, 21:28
It always used to be a place that would never find any under age in...That would be a start...

like what was said before....bring back the atmosphere carters had...:lol:

LOL don't know about that superted i was going to carters at the age of 14 and was usually with a group of around 8 and only 2 were usually over 18 the bouncers only ever asked I.D twice and i produced my sisters student ID card and bingo i was in . I loved it when it was carters it had a great atmosphere, i have only been out in wick once since it closed and i really didn't enjoy myself .

i like the idea of a family pup though as when we take a trip through to wick we like to get a bite to eat but find that weatherspoons isn't that family friendly so would def give the place a shot. can i suggest that if you make it family friendly could you have a baby changing station somewhere accessible to men and women . good luck

superted
01-Mar-08, 22:26
LOL don't know about that superted i was going to carters at the age of 14 and was usually with a group of around 8 and only 2 were usually over 18 the bouncers only ever asked I.D twice and i produced my sisters student ID card and bingo i was in . I loved it when it was carters it had a great atmosphere, i have only been out in wick once since it closed and i really didn't enjoy myself .

lol you must have looked old for age!!!!!

mums angels
01-Mar-08, 22:36
lol you must have looked old for age!!!!!

i still do.....LOL :( after the first two times i was in with I.D they stopped asking as it was usally the same bouncers .

WickLad08
01-Mar-08, 22:38
Come on guys over 740 views and only 25 comments - give me your inspiration here

2little2late
01-Mar-08, 22:39
Zero's is due to re-open on Friday 21st of March reverting back to the well known name of "The Yard".

If there is anything you would like to see us doing,

New Lessee

Not letting under agers in the establishment.

telfordstar
01-Mar-08, 23:06
Come on guys over 740 views and only 25 comments - give me your inspiration here

Why dont you tell us your ideas?

superted
01-Mar-08, 23:07
i still do.....LOL :( after the first two times i was in with I.D they stopped asking as it was usally the same bouncers .

I'm sure you dont!!!!

You just developed early...lol:lol:

WickLad08
01-Mar-08, 23:13
But it isn't me thats going to be using the facilities so my ideas and wants do not matter - its what the customer wants that counts

BRIE
01-Mar-08, 23:35
bouncy castle & sunday roast sounds great to me, make sure you have high chairs! hardly anywhere in wick is baby friendly

celtchicky
02-Mar-08, 00:08
decent music, good food, good crack, no underagers,

cyberman
02-Mar-08, 00:11
Does any one have a name for the new management, are they going to make a go of it??

Somewhere decent in Wick would be a novelty.

WickLad08
02-Mar-08, 00:16
I am sure all will be revealed very soon - in what way would you like it to be decent?

98elite
02-Mar-08, 00:17
WickLad08, get good food on the go from the off, how about a two for one deal? Order two and only pay for one? What's the deal? When two people dine, you'll get the cheapest MAIN COURSE FREE!

All you ask is that folk order together to eat together.

Example: If a party of seven people order main course, the three cheapest main courses will be free.

Two for one All day, everyday!

The two for one pubs do a roaring trade down south, get yourselves a good reputation and folk will travel from all over the county for a meal, google two for one meals for examples of menus and prices.

WickLad08
02-Mar-08, 00:21
To be honest I would rather not go down the route of everything being frozen, microwaved or deep fried food which is exactly what the 2 for 1 pubs use as I used to manage one. There will be value offers which go across all spectrums however the quality of produce will be better than 2 for 1 or wetherspoons products. In my view people up here are happy to pay a little extra for atmosphere, service and quality although it still needs to be a value offer. The aim is to have something to suit every budget which should be more than achievable.

cyberman
02-Mar-08, 00:25
I am sure all will be revealed very soon - in what way would you like it to be decent?

Its laughable, not a staight answer, thats says it all, another person who talks the talk but cant walk the walk.

Wicklad08, you have either agreed with what the brewery want, or you offered more for the place, but I know what tey were looking for and it wasnt family friendly, they wanted wet sales, and footie every weekend.

So its beyond me why you are asking the public for ideas? when the ideas should be what you think the place is capable of, and what you and the brewery rep Grant Cullan discussed.

2little2late
02-Mar-08, 00:27
Hope you will try your hardest to keep under 18's out. If you have zero tolerance then it could be a good pub. No I.D. no entry.

WickLad08
02-Mar-08, 00:28
well i guess that would explain why i got the lease and the people who thought the brewery wanted footie every weekend didn't - and I would say from public reaction in here they made the right choice because I have not seen sports mentioned once in all of the comments made

cemmts
02-Mar-08, 00:35
Well I hope you have put serious thought into this Jamie maybe you are well acquainted on how belhaven operate.

cyberman
02-Mar-08, 00:36
well i guess that would explain why i got the lease and the people who thought the brewery wanted footie every weekend didn't - and I would say from public reaction in here they made the right choice because I have not seen sports mentioned once in all of the comments made
Well wick Lad, unless I has cotton wool in my ears Grant put a strong side across that Belhaven wanted high wet sales and Flat Screen Tvs etc and his words were who would you put first Family for a roast on a sunday or a footie match on the tv, with pint after pint being sunk, with the odd pie and sandwich being sold?

His answer was the wet sales take more revenue?

I now think they had there new leasee in place?

But then 9 days ago on another zeros thread you asked had any one any updates and when would the place be open? Why I wonder, please enlighten us??

WickLad08
02-Mar-08, 00:38
well you pop in and see me on the 21st for a pint cyberman

98elite
02-Mar-08, 00:52
To be honest I would rather not go down the route of everything being frozen, microwaved or deep fried food which is exactly what the 2 for 1 pubs use as I used to manage one. There will be value offers which go across all spectrums however the quality of produce will be better than 2 for 1 or wetherspoons products. In my view people up here are happy to pay a little extra for atmosphere, service and quality although it still needs to be a value offer. The aim is to have something to suit every budget which should be more than achievable.

well if you have managed one you will know how to develop a good foods business alongside a healthy drinks trade to profitably balance wet vs dry, punters cant see past two for one their getting something for free and if its good then your on to a winner you can use this with any produce surely?

Gizmo
02-Mar-08, 02:40

You're kidin' right?.....you worked there before and you know how much revenue is taken during Sat/Sun afternoon football matches in The Yard, that place would be packed to the door on an old firm game with punters buying pint after pint after pint......where the money is.

Belhaven don't give a rats backside about that pub, they couldnt make it work could they?, if they could then they wouldnt have given it up as a managed house and leased it , they care about getting their rent each month and getting you to sell as much drink as possible...thats all

From the Belhaven Website...which i'm sure you have seen.

"Situated at east end of Wick town centre, 100m from the harbour, Zero's has become an established young person's venue for good food and a great night out. There is a strong food offer and entertainment is integral to the success of this unit."

Young persons venue....no mention of family orientated there is there?, it has always been a young persons bar and it always will be, times have changed since the days of Carters and it's never going to go back to that way, you have huge overheads with that Pub and the only way you are going to cover those costs is to sell huge amounts of alcohol to the young people of Wick.

The food might have always been very good there, but it's a small kitchen and can only cope with so many orders before it goes into meltdown, even when the place was running well the kitchen never made huge amounts of money....a good day during the week would see around 50 covers being done with an average spend of around £4 per person and a really busy Saturday would see around 150 covers.....it's not huge amounts of money, it's the £2300 to £2700 you take on Saturday through drink sales that makes you your money.

BRIE
02-Mar-08, 11:03
sounds to me like your trying to bring WICKLAD down for his efforts before hes even got started!
Ive been in the hospitality business for as long as I can remember & the food is where the money is, there is big profit if you get the balance right. good homecooked food sells this brings every walk of customer not just the young or the heavy drinkers.
there is no reason why the place cant show sport & be family friendly, seperate areas for both so the kids are out of ear shot from the bad language the men fire at the screen & your laughing.
only serve food till 8pm on a saturday night & your still ready for the young customers & the music by 10pm.
just because its always been known as a young persons drinking pub doesnt mean it has to stay that way. youve got to ask yourself if its supposed to work so well as a drinking pub why does it keep changing hands??
good luck Wicklad, keep up the good work sounds to me like youve got the right idea.:D

telfordstar
02-Mar-08, 11:41
The thing is when it was taken over by the person who had zeros it was great had the atmosphere, deals, great food and a decent pint but rapidly went down hill. The underage drinkers the drug dealers made it a place that you avoided big time. It will never come back to the same "good crack" that carters was. Wishing you luck wicklad think you are going to need it.

Gizmo
02-Mar-08, 12:12
sounds to me like your trying to bring WICKLAD down for his efforts before hes even got started!
Ive been in the hospitality business for as long as I can remember & the food is where the money is, there is big profit if you get the balance right. good homecooked food sells this brings every walk of customer not just the young or the heavy drinkers.
there is no reason why the place cant show sport & be family friendly, seperate areas for both so the kids are out of ear shot from the bad language the men fire at the screen & your laughing.
only serve food till 8pm on a saturday night & your still ready for the young customers & the music by 10pm.
just because its always been known as a young persons drinking pub doesnt mean it has to stay that way. youve got to ask yourself if its supposed to work so well as a drinking pub why does it keep changing hands??
good luck Wicklad, keep up the good work sounds to me like youve got the right idea.:D

Not at all...just making him aware of several facts surrounding that Pub, he has a huge hill to climb.
And try 11.30pm for the young customers and music on a Sat night, long time since it was busy at 10pm on a Sat night, people are leaving it later and later before going out nowadays.

And you're right, good homecooked food does bring bring in the customers, but good homecooked food takes a lot longer to prepare and the kitchen in that pub is small with no room for expansion, it can only cope with a certain amount, i gave many a refund to angry customers who had to wait 45mins for their food on a one hour lunch break.

DeHaviLand
02-Mar-08, 12:39
Well Gizmo, if you're so confident that you know whats right for the place, why dont you apply for a job in it? I'm sure Wicklad could do with your experience. Then you could help to clean him out too, just like you did before[evil]

quiteone
02-Mar-08, 12:51
id like to see theme nites80's 50's and all sorts of fancy dress, quizes kareoke nites or afternoons for kids too!! no underagers no drugs!!!!!! decent door men!!!! decent food reasonable price, good bands or djs.......as no where in wick offers that. if i think of any more il let u know :lol:

Gizmo
02-Mar-08, 13:20
Well Gizmo, if you're so confident that you know whats right for the place, why dont you apply for a job in it? I'm sure Wicklad could do with your experience. Then you could help to clean him out too, just like you did before[evil]

I never cleaned anyone out...i became involved in something for a short period of time that had being going on for a very very long time, and i was the one that blew the lid on the whole thing and had it stopped....something i should have done a lot sooner, but at the time most of my colleagues were also friends and i felt i could not say anything, it was a catch 22 lose lose situation for me.

2little2late
02-Mar-08, 13:24
id like to see theme nites80's 50's and all sorts of fancy dress, quizes kareoke nites or afternoons for kids too!! no underagers no drugs!!!!!! decent door men!!!! decent food reasonable price, good bands or djs.......as no where in wick offers that. if i think of any more il let u know :lol:

I am 100% in agreement with you.

Smithy
02-Mar-08, 14:07
Good luck Wicklad with your new venture and least you are giving it a shot and opening the place up again.

I agree that I think the place needs brightening up a bit, nice atmosphere, good food and a good clean.

Underagers well hopefully no more, good bouncers would sort them but not always an easy job as young people today can be quite deceiving with their age and many have fake ID.

Bouncy castle is a good idea. I suppose it is trial in error and getting the right mix, The central in Thurso seem to do okay with all age groups families in the afternoons at weekends and the young at night.

Hopefully with new management, new staff, new ideas you will do well.
Good Luck.

gemma89
02-Mar-08, 14:40
Lookin forward to th openin!
All th ideas sound gud an havin it family friendy aswell seems lyk a rele gud idea! will be nice to be able to take young kids through th day

Im sure wit a gud clean an brightenin up it shud all go dwn well..
- Hopefully u will giv th cleaners enuf time t clean the pub as th last licensee didnt.. But friendly service, gud grub an a nice atmosphere you shud do well, its well needed in wick.

:DGood luck

bobbyrussell09
02-Mar-08, 14:44
good luck on the new adventure.as everyone is saying ,get rid off the under agers .get rid off the druggies before it closed a lot off ppl had been having there drinks spiked.also i would think about getting sim new staff.sorry better staff.oneswho dont give free drinks to ther mates.also staff that have there own zone to serve an dont go direcyly to serve mate.tha used to get on ma nerves

scorrie
02-Mar-08, 15:40
Theme nights etc might work on a one-off basis but it is not the type of thing you could do often, as it would become stale. Also, I don't think that the age group this might appeal to would be liable to consume a lot of drink. There is also extra overheads involved in creating themes.

Good food, produced reasonably quickly is a vital element. You would be best to break the week up to identify times where food is the main factor and times when you are looking to shift drink in big quantities. Discover your quiet periods and focus on anything that you think might help make these times busier.

It is a very competitive field and turnover has to be good to make it a success.

WickLad08
02-Mar-08, 20:55
Can I just thank everyone for your positive comment's. All that you have said has already confirmed ideas which I have and intend to implement as a matter of urgency. I just wanted to see if you guys were coming up with the same things as I am and whether I am on the right track or not but the majority seem to be in agreement. You can rest assure that the drugs and underage problem will be tackled with top priority and the premises will be redecorated and commercially cleaned before opening. I have the heinsight of previously working there for a year not so many years ago and know what works for the unit, what it is capable of and where the changes can be made to improve the customer experience. You can't please everyone but I will have a damn good go at trying...even if its the death of me lol.

Anyway all thanks again and keep the suggestions coming. I am listening very carefully.

dogman
03-Mar-08, 18:35
first of all, i am a drinker. i work hard(well) from mon-fri then at 5 pm friday i used to head down the road to the yard to begin drinking my wages. my mates and i would be there all weekend. we enjoyed the duke box, pool table oh and the booze! my fellow boozers and i would really appreciate it if you kept it as a pub that welcomed hard working drinkers, fans of sports, pool players, darts players and half cut comedians. the bouncy castle sounds like a good idea but remember that i am 15 stone, it may burst. also there was a list of lovely shots in the place made my the fellow with stunning teeth, it would be great if those shots would still be available.

all the best chap

zappster
03-Mar-08, 19:25
good luck with the reopening me & ma wife'll will certainly be sticking our heeds in for a drink or two..Hope your planning having Live music in there occasionaly maybe even having bands on the occasional weekend afternoon like the newmarket/blackstairs used to do.

zappster
03-Mar-08, 19:29
also there was a list of lovely shots in the place made my the fellow with stunning teeth
all the best chap

haha his stunning teeth are worth their very own thread... & am no meaning dental floss!!

sids
03-Mar-08, 19:30
Let's have some English beer, like in Wetherspoons', only cheaper.

dogman
03-Mar-08, 19:34
haha his stunning teeth are worth their very own thread... & am no meaning dental floss!!

yeah his teeth are great. was an excellant barmaid. wud be great if he works there when reopened

WickLad08
03-Mar-08, 19:47
am no sure if the guy with the nice teeth will be there but am sure he will be please to know that you took a fancy to them - but am sure that we will be able to sort out some shots and cocktails for ya dogman

WickLad08
03-Mar-08, 19:49
what kind of english beer are you wanting? and cheaper than wetherspoons? are you trying to bankrupt me?

quiteone
03-Mar-08, 20:01
sorry but i disagree, theme nites neednt cost that much jus put a poster up, them that turn up in theme dress get free drink!! it costs less for a fancy dress costume than it would for me to get an outfit for goin out!! i am in my 30's and i like a drink and a bit of good crack and fancy dress is a brill nite out. as for meals if i go out im quite happy to wait for a reasonable meal. its when u wait ages and ur meal arrives and is rubbish!!! :D
Theme nights etc might work on a one-off basis but it is not the type of thing you could do often, as it would become stale. Also, I don't think that the age group this might appeal to would be liable to consume a lot of drink. There is also extra overheads involved in creating themes.

Good food, produced reasonably quickly is a vital element. You would be best to break the week up to identify times where food is the main factor and times when you are looking to shift drink in big quantities. Discover your quiet periods and focus on anything that you think might help make these times busier.

It is a very competitive field and turnover has to be good to make it a success.

scorrie
03-Mar-08, 20:24
sorry but i disagree, theme nites neednt cost that much jus put a poster up, them that turn up in theme dress get free drink!! it costs less for a fancy dress costume than it would for me to get an outfit for goin out!! i am in my 30's and i like a drink and a bit of good crack and fancy dress is a brill nite out. as for meals if i go out im quite happy to wait for a reasonable meal. its when u wait ages and ur meal arrives and is rubbish!!! :D

Mmm.. How much atmosphere does a poster create?

If you are going to do a thing properly, you need to make an effort to make the venue reflect the theme. Free drink? Is this a bar or a charity we are talking about running?

Just because you don't mind waiting doesn't mean that other people feel the same. In my experience MOST people don't like waiting for food to arrive. At the end of the day it is bar food, not restaurant a la carte we are talking about here. Wetherspoon are a tough act to take on. You are not going to make them drop to their knees in fear with a poster advertising a theme night!!

The defence rests its case ;)

WickLad08
03-Mar-08, 20:27
Wow, calm down, calm down - don't be fighting now

WickLad08
03-Mar-08, 20:29
but i do agree that in order to do a proper theme night correctly I would need to order kits etc to make the atmosphere but on the other hand the brewery will sponsor things so will definately see what we can do

dogman
03-Mar-08, 20:34
bring back the pole and get some strippers(FEMALE!) in plz :)

WickLad08
03-Mar-08, 20:34
Would you not like the barman with the nice teeth to strip for you?

WickLad08
03-Mar-08, 20:37
he could be drizzled in lovely shots just for u

scorrie
03-Mar-08, 20:47
Wow, calm down, calm down - don't be fighting now

Nobody's fighting. Just trying to point out what it takes to compete adequately with the opposition.

gemma89
03-Mar-08, 21:22
but i do agree that in order to do a proper theme night correctly I would need to order kits etc to make the atmosphere but on the other hand the brewery will sponsor things so will definately see what we can do

Doin themed ngts for the like of children in need or red nose day etc would b gud, that way its still novelty aswell as doin somethin for charity.. jst stick a few collection tins on the bars etc an hav games or somethin... im sure ther wud b a gud few foke up 4 it!!

catnip
03-Mar-08, 21:53
Do something about the music. I like various tunes not just a dance cd stuck on the whole night. Some of us customers are over 30 and the thump, thump, thump just gives us sore heids.

tazette37
03-Mar-08, 21:58
change the name back to carters bar ??? make the inside more inviting as carters was ??? homecooked lunches not food heated up in microwaves!!!!
!!!!!friendly pleasant staff !!!!!! who wont make things look as if its a bother for them to serve you!!!! and a good crack people always come back for the good crack !!!!

candy
03-Mar-08, 22:13
I would love to go out at night and feel relaxed and in comfortable surroundings,be able to speak without music blaring (i do like music) ,also it would be good not feeling like an oap cause the place is full of underagers, (i am only 40)and as much as i love children,mine are all grown up now ,it is nice to sit without kiddies screaming,(god i do sound like a grumpy old oap} It would be nice to have a seperate family room so the parents can relax too.

wish you all the best with your new venture,you won't please everyone:lol:

dogman
03-Mar-08, 22:29
I would love to go out at night and feel relaxed and in comfortable surroundings,be able to speak without music blaring (i do like music) ,also it would be good not feeling like an oap cause the place is full of underagers, (i am only 40)and as much as i love children,mine are all grown up now ,it is nice to sit without kiddies screaming,(god i do sound like a grumpy old oap} It would be nice to have a seperate family room so the parents can relax too.

wish you all the best with your new venture,you won't please everyone:lol:

thats weatherspoons

tommy1979
03-Mar-08, 23:03
Good luck on changing the fortunes of the yard my friend, dont take any notice of the snipers that are quick to stick the boot in either!!!

my suggestion is this....this town has a serious lack of a good clubbing venue, the waterfront is alot of things to alot of people but a place to go clubbing to on a sat night to hear the latest house tunes it is not....now i dont mean the cheesy euro trancy teeny boppy stuff that zeros used to belt out every sat night but good quality music with a DJ that actually mixes the records with passion and not just them crappy cut and fades...you know what mean, stuff that you hear in clubs all over the country...barr wick of course....its well about time [disgust]

anyway thats just my 2 cents

candy
03-Mar-08, 23:20
thats weatherspoons

mmmm.................food not so good :confused

micmiller
03-Mar-08, 23:33

blackstairs manages til pull off eh bands quite well, take a leaf out of ther book no?

Kevin Milkins
03-Mar-08, 23:59
what kind of english beer are you wanting? and cheaper than wetherspoons? are you trying to bankrupt me?

I am glad about the fact that someone else is missing beer. I have been up here for 2 years and its proberbly the only thing I miss about being down south is its not easy to get a good pint of beer.

sids
04-Mar-08, 13:44
thats weatherspoons

Maybe what's needed is something like a clean Wetherspoons'.

sids
04-Mar-08, 13:50

Don't take advice from me! Like many here, I don't regularly go to pubs.

zappster
04-Mar-08, 13:53
yeah good bouncers not like the Idiots of old that used to be on the door

Blondie
04-Mar-08, 14:26
No underagers would be fantastic. The camps was like a creche last time I went there. I haven't gone back for that very reason.

cesare
04-Mar-08, 16:13
i doubt it will be as good as it used to be.only way i can see it making any money is if it get bought outright[lol]

TBH
04-Mar-08, 16:32
Not at all...just making him aware of several facts surrounding that Pub, he has a huge hill to climb.
And try 11.30pm for the young customers and music on a Sat night, long time since it was busy at 10pm on a Sat night, people are leaving it later and later before going out nowadays.
It's a young persons pub you say in one post yet you say they only start coming in at 11.30, make your mind up. How does he make money before 11:30 whilst he is waiting for all those young people that are the lifeblood of the pub to come in?[lol]

Gizmo
04-Mar-08, 19:17
11.30pm is when it started to get really busy, of course there are young people in the bar before that, but not enough, the same goes for older people....they are all leaving it later before going out these days....and dirt cheap alcohol from the supermarkets is to blame for that, around £1800/£2000 passes through the tills in those last couple of hours of business on a Sat night.

How does he make money before that?...with a total makeover and 100% reversal in the reputation the pub has had for quite a few years, thats a lot of money to be spent and a lot of people to convince, the last Lessee tried to go the family friendly route and increase business through food sales, and it started to work for a while...but then the kitchen couldnt cope with the amount of orders coming through at the same time, people were waiting ages for food and it's reputation went downhill, then they just stopped coming back, some of the problems were staff related but most were because the kitchen is not equiped to cope with high volumes of orders that come in at the same time.

The target market for The Yard is the 18 to 25 age bracket, they are the people spending the most money on alcohol but even they had stopped going to the pub as much because it's reputation had really dived, it's convincing those people to come back that will make money for the pub, not a couple in their 40's drinking 2 Gin & Tonics an hour, it has huge overheads and needs huge wet sales to turn a good profit.

gemma89
04-Mar-08, 19:45
the kitchen couldnt cope with the amount of orders coming through at the same time, people were waiting ages for food and it's reputation went downhill, then they just stopped coming back, some of the problems were staff related but most were because the kitchen is not equiped to cope with high volumes of orders that come in at the same time.

Dont think the kitchen has got anything to do wit it. I worked in a kitchen just as small as the yard or smaller an we had continuous orders from 8am until 5pm all day every day and we coped. Its not the kitchen thats to blame.

WickLad08
04-Mar-08, 20:04
Thanks for all your comments everyone.

Gizmo
04-Mar-08, 20:08
Dont think the kitchen has got anything to do wit it. I worked in a kitchen just as small as the yard or smaller an we had continuous orders from 8am until 5pm all day every day and we coped. Its not the kitchen thats to blame.

All Kitchens are different, and i saw first had how much that kitchen could cope with, preparing the meals that were served there were time consumning and it just didnt have the equipment to cope with large amounts of orders coming in at the same time, it only had one small grill so if you had 3 mixed grills and 3 steaks come through at the same time you couldnt cook them all at the same time, so people ended up waiting a long time for certain orders, and if they were all at the same table that made things even worse as they got their food at different times.

connieb19
04-Mar-08, 20:09
All Kitchens are different, and i saw first had how much that kitchen could cope with, preparing the meals that were served there were time consumning and it just didnt have the equipment to cope with large amounts of orders coming in at the same time, it only had one small grill so if you had 3 mixed grills and 3 steaks come through at the same time you couldnt cook them all at the same time, so people ended up waiting a long time for certain orders, and if they were all at the same table that made things even worse as they got their food at different times.Was the kitchen bigger when Ed Carter had the place?

Gizmo
04-Mar-08, 20:30
Was the kitchen bigger when Ed Carter had the place?

I have no idea, i can only comment on what i saw and experienced when i worked there.

Spring Flower
04-Mar-08, 21:15
Well Gizmo really will not need to worry anyway as the last I heard he was barred for life for a stabbing

I have just read the whole thread and again I would like somewhere which has good food [just bar lunches / suppers] with an area for children to play in until a certain time. I am sure Carters used to have a family room - although I haven't been in that pub for a number of years [since I waited my whole lunch break to get served luke warm food [evil]].

Also Wicklad08 if you are the new manager of this pub good luck but I find the cheap digs to Gizmo very unprofessional - I don't know Gizmo at all but he / she seems to be making positive comments and genuinely seems interested in what is happening - are you going to find out everyone who is banned and not let them in again?

obiron
04-Mar-08, 21:28
anything will probably be better than zeros. the food was ok but slow, staff ok when they got round to serving you once theyd finished talking to the other staff, the owner looked very grumpy, the place needed cleaned badly the toilets were knackered. the music was rubbish and latterly with a few folk having there drinks spiked not the best pub to go to.

wick-girl
04-Mar-08, 21:31
I totally agree with u spring flower gizmo doesnt deserve what he is throwing at him,after all its all good what he is saying about the pub,he is not going to get many customers in if all he is going to do is slag them off on here for no reason

quiteone
04-Mar-08, 21:41
i never said a poster would create atmoshere...............and one free drink is hardly charity. wicklad asked for opinions and i gave mine but is this another thread that gets twisted to become an arguement between members?
seems that way to me![disgust]
Mmm.. How much atmosphere does a poster create?

If you are going to do a thing properly, you need to make an effort to make the venue reflect the theme. Free drink? Is this a bar or a charity we are talking about running?

Just because you don't mind waiting doesn't mean that other people feel the same. In my experience MOST people don't like waiting for food to arrive. At the end of the day it is bar food, not restaurant a la carte we are talking about here. Wetherspoon are a tough act to take on. You are not going to make them drop to their knees in fear with a poster advertising a theme night!!

The defence rests its case ;)

Gizmo
04-Mar-08, 21:59
I have just read the whole thread and again I would like somewhere which has good food [just bar lunches / suppers] with an area for children to play in until a certain time. I am sure Carters used to have a family room - although I haven't been in that pub for a number of years [since I waited my whole lunch break to get served luke warm food [evil]].

Also Wicklad08 if you are the new manager of this pub good luck but I find the cheap digs to Gizmo very unprofessional - I don't know Gizmo at all but he / she seems to be making positive comments and genuinely seems interested in what is happening - are you going to find out everyone who is banned and not let them in again?

Yes...Very Unprofessional, he's talking about something that happened during a very bad chapter in my life and something that happened nearly a year after i quit working there, a chapter of my life that is now well and truly closed, i had already stated in one of the many private messages between myself and Wicklad08 that i no longer drink so i have no interest in entering The Yard or any other pub, so there is no hidden agenda within my comments about the business he is about to take over, and his personal comment to me has no relevance to what was being discussed.

All i have done is try and make him aware of the facts as i saw them from my time working there and all the faults that need to be rectified before that pub has any chance on turning a good profit.

WickLad08
04-Mar-08, 22:00
Well it might be charity considering the pub can hold over 300 people. You do the maths. However, I am sure we could make a punch or cocktail to go with the theme night.

scorrie
04-Mar-08, 22:15
i never said a poster would create atmoshere...............and one free drink is hardly charity. wicklad asked for opinions and i gave mine but is this another thread that gets twisted to become an arguement between members?
seems that way to me![disgust]

Get a hold on yersel. I gave my my opinion, you disagreed, I pointed out the pitfalls in your opinion. That is hardly twisting anything. Yer man already admitted that a poster wasn't cutting it and that more effort would need to be made.

Insert VERY, VERY DISGUSTED icon thingy here:->>>>>>>>>

quiteone
04-Mar-08, 22:17
you do the maths a pub that holds 300 people, will be putting alot of money in ur tills....if its busy. surely one free drink per person that turned up dressed for a theme nite wouldna break the bank. if done properly it would be busy, there for filling ur tills with the customers money. customers that u want to encourage to return!!:D

dogman
04-Mar-08, 23:09
why the cheap pops at gizmo? he only explaining previous faults and giving ideas, which is what u asked for wicklad08. hope your future customers dont get same treatment.

scorrie
04-Mar-08, 23:41
you do the maths a pub that holds 300 people, will be putting alot of money in ur tills....if its busy. surely one free drink per person that turned up dressed for a theme nite wouldna break the bank. if done properly it would be busy, there for filling ur tills with the customers money. customers that u want to encourage to return!!:D

A 300 capacity pub is only useful if there are 300 people in it!! Ask any Landlord in the town about filling the bar and you will be told that it is difficult to achieve on a regular basis. If you are charging £2 a dram, you would have to forgo £600 worth of takings by giving away freebies. A common mistake many people make is in equating bar takings to profit. The reality is very different. You have to calculate how much ACTUAL profit per drink you make after you factor in ALL overheads.

I would suggest that YOU do the maths and I'LL do the Pizza ;)

johnlc
05-Mar-08, 09:26
Ok as well as a lot of people says carters was brilliant,the staff was so friendly and the food was amazing.
What i think should be done is the deco in there is too bland,decorate it with warm colours n nice lighting.
Also as for the theme nights i think that is a good idea even if its once a month or even once every 3 months.
1 thing wicks pubs dnt have is excitement whereas if u do theme nights and even c if u can do a dvd night now n then,might be a silly idea but if u cld get a new film thats just out etc it will just be lek our wee cinema lol.
Theres nufin lek watchin a good film with a few drams.

Also yes it wld b a very good idea for baby changing facilities n plenty highchairs.:)

Wick10
12-Mar-08, 17:46
Two bars instead of one big bar its a nightmare trying to get served when all cramed round one bar, they don't have to be massive, i think theme nights would be good and i would go for the bands definately, disco is pretty boring unless you have a good dj!!!!, best of luck to you and hope you do well :Razz:Razz

youngmiller7
15-Mar-08, 03:05
clean e taps regulary so ppl can get a decent pint!

telfordstar
15-Mar-08, 11:50
did anyone make an apperance at "the yard" last night.

dogman
15-Mar-08, 12:29
hope not. it no open to next friday

BIG A
15-Mar-08, 12:36
IF THE BREWERY could not make the place pay i am sorry i just cant see anyone else make it work .
Your first £400.00 per week for rent before all the other overheads with the footfall that you have in Wick i dont see it happen.
Weatherspoon have the back up behind it to offer Food deals until june.
A small local has no chance of this.
but the best of luck to you

telfordstar
15-Mar-08, 13:39
ah yeah duh me got my dates mixed up.

dessie
15-Mar-08, 15:43
yo wicklad michelle told me she was in for a chat with you ...

sweetpea
15-Mar-08, 16:54
All I want from a pub is lights working in the bogs and loo roll and a big mirror to check myself out in;). Thanks

KCI
15-Mar-08, 18:31
I've just noticed this thread - don't know how it passed me by!

You've made a great start, by asking the public what they would like. I really hope it works out - Good luck.

I think one of the main things, is to have a friendly, welcoming atmosphere. Friendly staff are important - no-one wants to go in to a bar if they know the staff aren't friendly.

A family friendly bar would be great. Think about the Central in Thurso - they do a roaring trade with their bouncy castle for the kids. They have a good children's menu as well, so it's a great place for families to go. So, if you could have something like a bouncy castle for the kids, I think you would do well. Having equipment like plenty of high chairs, a changing room for babies, facilities to warm up baby food and baby milk is always a relief for families, and will encourage them to come back.

Good food - obviously, this is really important! If people enjoy the food, and it is reasonably priced, they will keep coming back. Remember to include plenty of vegetarian options! As a vegetarian, it can be difficult sometimes when you go out for a meal, as there are hardly any options. If you have a Roast of the Day, or Roast on a Sunday, again, remember the vegetarians! While you offer Roast chicken or beef etc, you could think about offering Roast Quorn for the vegetarians. That way you can have the same kind of meal as everyone else.

Have a strict "No under age" policy, and keep to it. Everyone complains about under age kids being in bars, and it can put people off.

Music - quiet music in the background during the day is great, as long as it doesn't get too loud.
Live music at weekends always goes down well.

I suppose you need to try to think about all age groups, and make sure you have something for everyone.

Hope it goes well though. We used to go in there quite a lot years ago, but stopped going.

DeHaviLand
15-Mar-08, 18:37
I've just noticed this thread - don't know how it passed me by!

You've made a great start, by asking the public what they would like. I really hope it works out - Good luck.

I think one of the main things, is to have a friendly, welcoming atmosphere. Friendly staff are important - no-one wants to go in to a bar if they know the staff aren't friendly.

A family friendly bar would be great. Think about the Central in Thurso - they do a roaring trade with their bouncy castle for the kids. They have a good children's menu as well, so it's a great place for families to go. So, if you could have something like a bouncy castle for the kids, I think you would do well. Having equipment like plenty of high chairs, a changing room for babies, facilities to warm up baby food and baby milk is always a relief for families, and will encourage them to come back.

Good food - obviously, this is really important! If people enjoy the food, and it is reasonably priced, they will keep coming back. Remember to include plenty of vegetarian options! As a vegetarian, it can be difficult sometimes when you go out for a meal, as there are hardly any options. If you have a Roast of the Day, or Roast on a Sunday, again, remember the vegetarians! While you offer Roast chicken or beef etc, you could think about offering Roast Quorn for the vegetarians. That way you can have the same kind of meal as everyone else.

Have a strict "No under age" policy, and keep to it. Everyone complains about under age kids being in bars, and it can put people off.

Music - quiet music in the background during the day is great, as long as it doesn't get too loud.
Live music at weekends always goes down well.

I suppose you need to try to think about all age groups, and make sure you have something for everyone.

Hope it goes well though. We used to go in there quite a lot years ago, but stopped going.

Think you need to make your mind up. You want high chairs and baby changing facilities. You want something for all age groups. Yet you want a strict "no under age" policy? Well, if babies aren't under age, just who is?:roll:

KCI
15-Mar-08, 19:14
Think you need to make your mind up. You want high chairs and baby changing facilities. You want something for all age groups. Yet you want a strict "no under age" policy? Well, if babies aren't under age, just who is?:roll:

LOl! You know what I mean though - being family friendly doesn't mean allowing kids to drink alcohol.

You can still have a bar that caters for all ages, is family friendly, with no under age drinking allowed.

Amy-Winehouse
16-Mar-08, 21:30
When does my favourite watering hole re-emerge from the ashes of doom???

I heard that there was a thread about it on .Org but I couldnt find it....
So can any of you pub goers in Wick please let me know when the big date is hapening?

Thankenyou

Amy-Winehouse
16-Mar-08, 21:42
Okay Ive been redirected to this thread, Wick lad, are you going to have the football on a Sunday afternoon like before??? I hope so , I can get rid of my Hubby for 3-4 hours if you do [lol]
And also are you going to clean the pub AFTER a Saterday night so that my shoes dont stick to the lino around the bar like they often did when the previous boss had it???

Moira
16-Mar-08, 21:53
Hi Amy. Welcome to the forums. Never mind the football. I'm sure a few folk would be more interested to know when WickLad books you for a nights' musical entertainment. :D

Amy-Winehouse
16-Mar-08, 22:00
I love football though & Im thick skinned, I was typing out my reply(which was tasty BTW) but the thread was locked??? But thanks Moira anyways.

ps I can look after myself against bitter folk quite easilly ;)

dessie
16-Mar-08, 22:17
sky sat costs around 700 pounds a month for a boozer iv,e been told how can you cover the cost of that with only about 50 folk for the footy matches....

Amy-Winehouse
16-Mar-08, 22:18
sky sat costs around 700 pounds a month for a boozer iv,e been told how can you cover the cost of that with only about 50 folk for the footy matches....

Des used to do it well enough in the Camps , So my Hubby tells me ;)

chocolatechip
17-Mar-08, 12:29
I think it should be a place for familes to go together there isn't anything really here for familes, so if you do something like that I think that will draw your customers in. Hope that HELPS:D CHOCOLATECHIP

superted
22-Mar-08, 12:34
Anyone make the opening last night?? Thoughts?

telfordstar
22-Mar-08, 13:01
Anyone make the opening last night?? Thoughts?

Was just going to ask the same question

ocd
23-Mar-08, 13:19
... went a look and didn't notice much difference at all, smelt fresher, decor may have been freshened up, but the music was the same. Early days yet though maybe prop. needs to make some money before ploughing more in.

WickLad08
23-Mar-08, 16:16
Not quite sure what you are looking for from the music. Have poached the Waterfront DJ which was requested by the majority of people and there was a live band on Friday night? Please elaborate and I will see what I can do.

dogman
23-Mar-08, 19:55
jug of ninja blood for a tenner. brilliant.

still a little drunk now.

all we need is booze!

Julia
23-Mar-08, 20:48
Not quite sure what you are looking for from the music. Have poached the Waterfront DJ which was requested by the majority of people and there was a live band on Friday night? Please elaborate and I will see what I can do.

Didn't realise you had opened, how do you think it went?

Will certainly be in a look on my next tipple venture.

BIG A
23-Mar-08, 21:54
Was in Last Night very poor the place had lots of under age in it ,
went back to the Camps it was Full and great crack it seems to be the in place at the moment.
The Yard will never be the same again until the Disco hall is put back like tom had it

Setanta
24-Mar-08, 04:01
Was in Last Night very poor the place had lots of under age in it ,
went back to the Camps it was Full and great crack it seems to be the in place at the moment.
The Yard will never be the same again until the Disco hall is put back like tom had it

That is crap the door staff and the bar staff made sure there were no underagers in at all. You went to camps and there were no underagers there well that must have been a first. I have to say that it was one of the best nights I have spent in the yard in a very long time, good music, nice staff, friendly door stewards and loads of people having a great time......keep up the good work. Oh and the police made sure there were no agers either by request of the management

ocd
24-Mar-08, 12:01

Personally I would like to see a better mix of music, when I was in (only for about 1-2 hours) it seemed to be mostly dance music, which I appreciate a lot of people like... maybe I was just in at the wrong time. Did notice it was a live band on Friday, which is great, hopefully this will be a regular occurence.

Have to disagree with previous post... I didn't see a lot of underagers which was great!

Macwull
24-Mar-08, 20:20
Was in the yard today for lunch, it was really good, nice atmosphere, there was a few in, Food was really good and wasn't like what zero's or sinclairs used to be (waiting for ages) They had a few food orders when we were in and managed to keep up with demand. Hopefully it all goes well cos its a fine bar. Prices were very reasonable too!!

Excellent much better than spoons i'd say, getting slighlty sick of it!! !!

Good luck WickLad

bobbyrussell09
26-Mar-08, 16:57
ive still to go into the place.the other half will need sum persuading after getting her drink spiked.but im willing to clean the slate ,so to speak

sweetpea
26-Mar-08, 19:11
ive still to go into the place.the other half will need sum persuading after getting her drink spiked.but im willing to clean the slate ,so to speak

I had mine spiked too, luckily mate bundled me in a taxi:(

micmiller
26-Mar-08, 19:15
Personally I would like to see a better mix of music, when I was in (only for about 1-2 hours) it seemed to be mostly dance music,

there is a jukebox that has a good few thousand songs on it

WickLad08
26-Mar-08, 19:41
The door staff will be on continual stop and search over the next 3 weeks with random searching being carried out as required thereafter. Over 12 people were barred for life over last weekend for various offences including drugs. Please note that I will not condone any form of disturbance which will affect other customers whether by way of drugs or anything else. Please bare in mind with that if you do experience anything it is of great importance that you let us know as soon as possible so that we can deal with it. The whole site is covered by CCTV and is continually monitored so the chances are we can pick up on any instances and where required we will not only deal with it in-house but also pass it forward to the police for further investigation. We will also be supplying bottle stoppers to reduce the risk of spiking and if required the bar staff will be more than willing to look after your drinks for whatever reason. However, I must stress that all customers should be vigilant of their drinks as no matter how much we do things can still occur outwith our control.

Hope this helps.

WickLad08
27-Mar-08, 13:19
so what are everyone's thoughts so far?

Amy-Winehouse
27-Mar-08, 14:16
Apart from the fighting I witnessed ( normal Friday night in Wick , Im well informed!) It was a rather good night, but we were in there early on & then after eleven pm. I did see a pair of women fighting in the bar & a couple of other scuffles. That was what I did NOT want to see but then that s life & some scores tend to be settled in this way by the younger population - not bad tunes played by your DJ tho I suppose. I will be back though

WickLad08
27-Mar-08, 16:29
Apart from the fighting I witnessed ( normal Friday night in Wick , Im well informed!) It was a rather good night, but we were in there early on & then after eleven pm. I did see a pair of women fighting in the bar & a couple of other scuffles. That was what I did NOT want to see but then that s life & some scores tend to be settled in this way by the younger population - not bad tunes played by your DJ tho I suppose. I will be back though

Doesn't matter where you go the scuffles will happen when drunken people mix but the security staff dealt with them swiftly so as to reduce upset to other customers and all parties involved were barred.

ZERO TOLERANCE IS WORKING!! HEHE

quiteone
29-Mar-08, 11:12
went there for lunch on wednesday......had to wait 45mins for our meal!!! thot it was overpriced. the place was freezing cos the heating was broken and twice stood at the bar and was ignored by the lassie behind it who appeared to be workin on her own.

Macwull
29-Mar-08, 11:42
Was in again last night, I used to quite often use spoons but think i'll be using the yard more now, food is excellent and we didn't have to wait that long (like zero's used to be!!) I had the steak and it was perfect, another had the curry it was also really good and macaroni, good too. Would'nt say it cost any more than spoons and to be honest spoons quite often has a bad slow slow service!! !! !!

The yard is the place to go! :D

BIG A
29-Mar-08, 22:01
Just passed there in the car Does not look very Professional the staff standing Smoking at the main door

golach
29-Mar-08, 22:42
Just passed there in the car Does not look very Professional the staff standing Smoking at the main door
Where else would they smoke, not inside surely?

Macwull
30-Mar-08, 13:25
Got to admit I'm not keen on businesses that let there staff smoke outside the door, the yard does have an enclosed smoking area where they could smoke?? But most establishments let it happen!!

floyed
30-Mar-08, 16:06
What kind of food are they doing?? What is the price like?? When it was Zero's there wasn't much selection.

bigjjuk
31-Mar-08, 08:17
It seems to me that to many people have written the YARD off, without even giving the place a chance. The owner before, put the place into the ground. The heating is not the new owners fault, (it will take time to fix) Teething problems will happen, after all we all got to start somewhere. Give the guy a break, I went in there Thurs nite, if only briefly and a huge effort has been made to improve things. I do agree about the smoking thing. Boss if you reading this make em smoke out in the smoking area, it looks better.

WickLad08
31-Mar-08, 10:18
I do agree with you on the smoking comment however I only have one issue with it. When staff are on shift on their own the front door is the only practical place for them to smoke. If they went to the smoking area they would not be able to see customers coming into the pub on keep an eye on the bar from there incase anyone wanted served. With regards to the heating 2 new boilers have been installed so we are trying our best.

Thumper
31-Mar-08, 10:44
Come on guys give the bloke a break,its hard enough trying to re-establish a business after it has been run into the ground,let him at least try to make a go of it!As for staff smoking being unprofessional,well where else are they going to smoke?Just because they smoke doesn't mean they are unprofessional x

Rourkee
31-Mar-08, 12:46
Haven't tried the Yard's food yet but definitely will after my last trip to Spoons. Waited ages for the food and when it came it was cold and my daughters Macaroni had small dead midgie size flies on it.
On the heating front how long was Spoons without heating before it was repaired, a lot longer than the Yard!

Keep up the good work guys and I hope its a success.

BIG A
31-Mar-08, 13:50
I do agree with you on the smoking comment however I only have one issue with it. When staff are on shift on their own the front door is the only practical place for them to smoke. If they went to the smoking area they would not be able to see customers coming into the pub on keep an eye on the bar from there incase anyone wanted served. With regards to the heating 2 new boilers have been installed so we are trying our best.
Staff should only be smoking during there Breaks Not in full uniform at the door,it gives a bad impression to customer wishing to eat food and also blocks the door.
Most Big Pub groups have Policies in place that do not allow this.[disgust]

WickLad08
31-Mar-08, 13:53
Staff should only be smoking during there Breaks Not in full uniform at the door,it gives a bad impression to customer wishing to eat food and also blocks the door.
Most Big Pub groups have Policies in place that do not allow this.[disgust]

However it is not a big pub group and is a privately owned premises. However, if you would rather the staff to be around the back where they cannot see customers coming in and then you have to wait and the bar for ages to get served then I am sure that it could be arranged.

rangers07
31-Mar-08, 14:12
Someone told me that the Yard was now a gay bar? Is this true or just the usual Wick Gossip?

cd1977
31-Mar-08, 14:19
Staff smoking at the front door has to be seen as completely unprofessional. It is hardly going to encourage passing trade.

I doubt whether it has to come down to a straight choice between the front door and the back door as you suggest Wick Lad'08.

Why not introduce a no smoking rule for staff?

Blondie
31-Mar-08, 14:23
Someone told me that the Yard was now a gay bar? Is this true or just the usual Wick Gossip?

Are you being serious???? I assume not. How on earth would that make money in a small town like this?

Have a think about what your saying for goodness sake!

KCI
31-Mar-08, 14:25

Oh, for Goodness Sake!:roll:

rangers07
31-Mar-08, 14:31
Are you being serious???? I assume not. How on earth would that make money in a small town like this?

Have a think about what your saying for goodness sake!

I dont have to think about what im saying thank you very much.

I was told that at the weekend by someone simply asking if its true or not!

You never know there are some amount of that woofters cutting about these days. "Bolk" could be a good wee earner...........:roll:

WickLad08
31-Mar-08, 14:33
Oh, for Goodness Sake!:roll:

Lol because I am gay they automatically presume its a gay bar - how unbelievable lol - i think thats funny!!!

And as for the no smoking rule for staff since I smoke myself I think that would be slightly unfair to enforce. It also would not be very employment rights friendly either.

rangers07
31-Mar-08, 14:37
Lol because I am gay they automatically presume its a gay bar - how unbelievable lol - i think thats funny!!!

And as for the no smoking rule for staff since I smoke myself I think that would be slightly unfair to enforce. It also would not be very employment rights friendly either.

I asume you use the word "they" to describe potential customers? Keep that up and its Potential they will stay.

Id tend to associate Gay people with the word "they" or maybe even "IT's"

Thumper
31-Mar-08, 14:40
I asume you use the word "they" to describe potential customers? Keep that up and its Potential they will stay.

I cant believe that anybody can be that narrowminded!:mad:x

bigjjuk
31-Mar-08, 14:43
Looks to me as though rangers07 has a phobia, get a life m8

rangers07
31-Mar-08, 14:44
I cant believe that anybody can be that narrowminded!:mad:x

I know.

Its pretty obvious folk are going to think its a gay bar.....

~~Tides~~
31-Mar-08, 14:45
However it is not a big pub group and is a privately owned premises. However, if you would rather the staff to be around the back where they cannot see customers coming in and then you have to wait and the bar for ages to get served then I am sure that it could be arranged.

This is a ridiculous comment. Just accept that it looks unprofessional and sort it. The fact that its not a big pub group has absolutely nothing to do with it, if anything, a privately owned premises should care more about it's public image and be in a position to fix things more quickly if the boss is on the ball.
Anyway, it doesnt take that long to nip to the back for a fag, and theres surely more than 1 member of staff there at once, so one can cover for a couple of minutes, then switch. Its not difficult. Just listen to what people say and have some common sense.

dandod
31-Mar-08, 14:46

discriminating against peoplke against people because of their sexuality is a despicable thing to do.and in no way should people be referred to as "it".no matter what race,nationality male,female or gay.i find your views disgusting.

MGM
31-Mar-08, 14:46
I dont have to think about what im saying thank you very much.

I was told that at the weekend by someone simply asking if its true or not!

You never know there are some amount of that woofters cutting about these days. "Bolk" could be a good wee earner...........:roll:

How small minded and ignorant :mad:

Ash
31-Mar-08, 14:48
he should be banned for sayin this sort of things[evil]

~~Tides~~
That Rangers chiel is as bad as any racist. Get 'it' blocked at once!

Even if 'it' truly belives what 'it' is saying, 'it' has shown 'it's' self to be unbelievable stupid by expressing such views in public. 'It' therefore adds nothing to the forum... Im sure the vast majority has no wish to converse with such ignoant tubes.

Thumper
I know.

Nope just the narrowminded amongst us will think that......

dandod
31-Mar-08, 14:51
he should be banned for sayin this sort of things[evil]

i second that.

tommy1979
31-Mar-08, 14:51
I had mine spiked too, luckily mate bundled me in a taxi

no you just cannae handle yer bevvy :roll: ;)

WickLad08
31-Mar-08, 14:57
and if thats your attitude rangers i would prefer if you stay away as this is a pub which welcomes people from all walks of life and I certainly so not condone your homophobic attitude and have indeed forwarded a report to caithness.org

tommy1979
31-Mar-08, 14:57
I know.

Sounds like someone is fishing here...getting some bites too

cd1977
31-Mar-08, 14:58
Well how about, as has been suggested, only allowing smoking on breaks? In that event, the backdoor/frontdoor thing would not be an issue.

Same old, same old for the Yard I am afraid. Sounds like the staff are dictating to you as regards smoking.

Smithy
31-Mar-08, 15:01
Have had a few meals at the yard, and it was really nice also well presented.

Gay bar, gossip as usual, I appreciate everyone is entitled to their views but surely they can be diplomatic in how they write / say them. I would definately say whoever gave you the information is wrong just gossip again

When I was in the bar the other weekend I would say it was full of people who were glad to see the place back open and someone trying to make a go of it. It was a good mix of people enjoying themselves.

~~Tides~~
31-Mar-08, 15:11
Why on earth was there a 16/17 year old working on the door on saturday night? What a joke, a large majority of people leaving comments have said they wished to have decent doormen etc. How can you expect to keep the under-agers out when you have an underager working on the door! Madness.

cd1977
31-Mar-08, 15:13
I can't believe this from a Rangers fan.

They are normally such shining beacons of decency, tolerance and respect for their fellow citizens :cool:.

WickLad08
31-Mar-08, 15:16
I can assure you there was not an underager "working on the door on Saturday night. However, one of my employees who was glass collecting was present to point out any underagers. The police called in and commended him on his efforts and advised that there would be less underagers across the licensing trade if others adopted the same idea. There were also 3 fully qualified door staff on Saturday night and at the last tally 43 underagers we refused entry at the door. A good nights work I would suggest. SO NOT REALLY A JOKE!

rangers07
31-Mar-08, 15:17
i second that.

I third it.

:lol::lol:

cd1977
31-Mar-08, 15:57
So to conclude, are the fags to be had at the backdoor or the front door?

tommy1979
31-Mar-08, 16:07

:eek::lol:

Katy
31-Mar-08, 16:16
Being a non smoker I know I would prefer not to have to walk through clouds of smoke when walking into a pub and especially if it is staff smoking! Like someone else suggested, can't 1 person go for a break at a time?
At the end of the day they should only be having a 'break' after 4hrs work like all the other staff, this used to get my back up before that smokers would get all the breaks they wanted but non smokers would work a solid 4hrs!
So Wicklad what you planning to do about the smoking?

rangers07
31-Mar-08, 16:39

[lol]

Your so narrow minded.........

[lol]

Venture
31-Mar-08, 18:25
[lol]

Your so narrow minded.........

[lol]

You wont last long as a member on here with an attitude like that. Grow up.

WickLad08
31-Mar-08, 18:50
The cigarettes are to be dealt with by me and not mob ruling on Caithness.org. A relaxed atmosphere with regards to some aspects with my staff create for a better working atmosphere and in turn customer relationships. Due to the fact there is only one member of staff working Monday - Thursday all day and night it would therefor be impossible for somebody else to cover them for their breaks to allow them to go to the back door. So it comes down to being damned if you do and damned if you dont.

wick-girl
31-Mar-08, 19:05
The cigarettes are to be dealt with by me and not mob ruling on Caithness.org. A relaxed atmosphere with regards to some aspects with my staff create for a better working atmosphere and in turn customer relationships. Due to the fact there is only one member of staff working Monday - Thursday all day and night it would therefor be impossible for somebody else to cover them for their breaks to allow them to go to the back door. So it comes down to being damned if you do and damned if you dont.

better hope its not busy or that one member of staff will b run of there feet and the customers will get ignored and then thats when they start complaining!

katrina
31-Mar-08, 19:39
WickLad08 I think from some posts its seems you cant do right for doing wrong. But you are trying and that should be applauded itself.:)