PDA

View Full Version : I'm Confused

highlander
29-Feb-08, 19:28
No its not the advert confused.com lol can someone please explain why when i went to chemist today i was not allowed to buy sudafed as the chemist was out of the shop, yet i could have bought it in the supermarket with no questions asked, the most annoying thing was i just came from the supermarket and thought i would spend my money in the local chemist.

Penelope Pitstop
29-Feb-08, 19:31
............pass.......seems a bit strange.

justine
29-Feb-08, 19:33
No its not the advert confused.com lol can someone please explain why when i went to chemist today i was not allowed to buy sudafed as the chemist was out of the shop, yet i could have bought it in the supermarket with no questions asked, the most annoying thing was i just came from the supermarket and thought i would spend my money in the local chemist.

To buy certain things in the chemist if it is behind the counter ,the chemist has to be there.this is to do with the laws of the pharmacy,nothing to do with the product its self........My MIL worked in a chemist and thats the code of practice for pharmacies.....

Julia
29-Feb-08, 19:34
The chemist has to be there, not sure why, probably to ask have you had this before and do you take any other meds? It also could be in case of a habitual buyer of over-the-counter meds, addicted to cough mixture or something.

chaz
29-Feb-08, 19:36
This has happened to me when i wanted to buy a large bottle of calpol, and yet i was allowed to buy two smaller ones off the shelf:confused

highlander
29-Feb-08, 19:38
Thanks for the reply's, but cant understand why the supermarket does not have to follow the same code.

justine
29-Feb-08, 19:42
Thanks for the reply's, but cant understand why the supermarket does not have to follow the same code.

Supermarkets are not allowed to sell controlled drugs......so they can stock there shelves with medicines that can be sold in any chemist..But the minute it goes behind a pharmacy counter it becomes a different matter.....If you go to boots and want something that is behind the counter, they tend to show it to the pharmasist who okays it...

It s to protect themselves and make sure that all drugs that have special warnings or rare effects or can cause you more health problems are not given out unchecked.....

George Brims
29-Feb-08, 23:50
Sudafed can be used to make methamphetamine (crystal meth). Where I live you can't buy too many things at one time that contain the same active ingredient, in case you're stockpiling it to turn into illicit drugs. You also have to be 18 to buy those products.

rob16d
01-Mar-08, 11:46
That is STUPID!

Uli
01-Mar-08, 14:43
As Justine said it is against the law for pharmacies to sell certain medications or give out prescriptions if there is no pharmacist present.

You'd be suprised at which common medecins can cause problems for people which is why they always ask. or should ask, waht other medication you are taking... Sudafed for example could have complications for people with high bloodpressure...

Why the same rule is not applied for supermarkets is however a mystery to me so i don't have any answer on that part :)

Uli
01-Mar-08, 15:21
ok apparantly the sudafed in the supermarkets has a different active ingredient than the over the counter ones at the chemist, that is why the supermarkets can sell them without a pharmacist present.

If you had/were buying the sudafed that is not over the counter at the chemists same rule applies and you should have been able to buy it despite the pharmacist not beeing there.

That is the explanation my pharmacist husband just gave so hope that helps :)

gillian17
01-Mar-08, 22:24
A friend of mine ground 30 paracetomols up on Thursday mixed them with lager and drunk the lot.
She lived with no adverse consequences.
Thank God she did not know what I know.
I will not post it on here for obvious reasons but ignorance is a life saver.
Paracetomol should not be sold in less than 60 tablet bottles.
Feel free to slag me and I shall give you the number of my mate's twin who has one leg, no kidneys and no life.
I know I have spelt paracetomol wrong.

gillian17
01-Mar-08, 23:08
Same girl just rang although she knows nothing of this site!!