PDA

View Full Version : Mince and Tatties

rob16d
29-Feb-08, 16:16
Anyone got good recipies for mince an tatties?

alanatkie
29-Feb-08, 16:21
brown your mince in a pan with a little oil once fully browened add in your diced carrots & onions & brake a oxo cube over the top & cover with water & simmer until carrots are cooked, add a squirt o brown sauce before serving. Thicken with Bisto

Tatties - peeled & boiled in salt water & then drain & mash wi butter.

honey
29-Feb-08, 16:33
i brown my mince, then add onions and carrots. i add water and cook slowly throughout the day, then add gravy granuals at the end of cooking (might need drained first). i serve with mashed tatties and neep!

rob16d
29-Feb-08, 17:06
Yum thanks

unicorn
29-Feb-08, 17:18
I do the same as honey with the draining as I hate any fat or oil in my food.

karia
29-Feb-08, 18:11
I just brown my mince using a wee touch of water...saves adding any extra fat.:)

unicorn
29-Feb-08, 18:23
I dont add fat it's the gunk that comes off it I want rid of ewww :eek:

Anne x
29-Feb-08, 18:34
Brown mince pour of excess fat add onion whatever else as a kid growing up we added carrot and turnip probably to eek it out
add water my mum used to thicken it after that although OH prefers mince and onion

karia
29-Feb-08, 18:35

I know what you mean..I let some go cold in the fridge last week and was gobsmacked by the amount of congealed fat.

That was the super dooper healthy living stuff too!:eek:

honey
29-Feb-08, 18:36

i rinse my mince in the colander after i have browned it.. then put it back in the pan with the veg and fresh water..

karia
29-Feb-08, 18:46
Brown mince pour of excess fat add onion whatever else as a kid growing up we added carrot and turnip probably to eek it out
add water my mum used to thicken it after that although OH prefers mince and onion

Another neep aphobic is he Anne?

I have one just like him.:)

Anne x
29-Feb-08, 19:08
no probably not that maybe they had more money than we did in Edinburgh

My mum had to eek out a 1lb mince to go further with veg added to create a substantial meal for us served with tatties and turnip (usually nicked from Willie Robs farm) over the back garden

then leftovers was put in a pie with pastry (jus rol ) on the top and served another day
followed along with by Mums delic Apple Pie or Rhubarb Pie etc etc again to make another great meal

binbob
29-Feb-08, 19:46
i do...

brown mince ..drain fat...[even from very lean steak mince]
salt/pepper
balsamic vinegar
add onions/carrots
simmer...

3 oxo cubes ...
i then usually do dumplings..
then lovely mash..
i feel hungry now...

nicnic74
29-Feb-08, 20:31
I add white pudding to my mince just a wee while before i put
my gravy grannules in, it tastes lovely

rob16d
02-Mar-08, 14:28
wow! So many recipies...is this mice recipe the same one that goes into shephards pie

binbob
02-Mar-08, 19:24
wow! So many recipies...is this mice recipe the same one that goes into shephards pie

mice...that would be interesting..will the kittens catch them????haha

helenwyler
02-Mar-08, 20:52
Nice one binbob;).

Mice and rat recipes here rob16d:cool:.
http://www.bertc.com/cooking_rats.htm

honey
03-Mar-08, 10:32

:lol:, i hope you meant mince lol.

for shephards pie, i do the exact same, then place cooked mince into a casserole dish, place loads of fluffy mashed tatties on top, and brown them under the grill.... Hmm, guess what im gonna have for tea one night!!

Buttercup
04-Mar-08, 18:09
Here's a thread on the subject from January '07:
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=20145

sweetpea
06-Mar-08, 17:20
I'd definately go for draining the gunk off if it's supermarket mince, butchers isn't so bad (and just as, if not cheaper). I tend to simmer meat for a long time, makes it more tender.
Othere than that I add onion, some finely chopped carrot and simmer, then add stock, off course season if you like while it's cooking, then bisto according to thickness you want. Personally I like adding a white pudding, tin of peas or macaroni to the finished product.