PDA

View Full Version : US Primaries - am I the only viewer here?

Tilter
29-Feb-08, 10:01
Not a word on the Org about the US elections. Am I the only one here glued to this soap opera/circus?

I know we like to snigger softly at our American cousins on occasion but, whether we like it or not, whoever gets elected will directly influence our own lives, even perhaps whether some of us have to go get killed somewhere.

You have to admit, this is a darn sight more interesting than usual. Democrats are choosing between a woman and a black man. I know sex and race should not come in to it, but they do - big time, especially over there. Many will vote for Hillary purely because she's a woman and Barack will pick up votes purely because he's black. On the other side, McCain will pick up votes because he's neither. So it's even more personal than usual, if that's possible.

Really looking forward to Tuesday (Texas and Ohio). Yeah, I'm a saddo. Short post for a very complex issue, but what do reckon?

weestraw
29-Feb-08, 10:49
Well I reckon that when the Americans go into the polling booth race and gender will come into the equation and i reckon that there sould be a surprise swing towards John McCain.

Torvaig
29-Feb-08, 10:53
I'm afraid the fact that the future of the U.S. of A. hangs on what sex, colour and the ability of a future leader to spout in public says it all. I am not interested, I cannot change it and I'm afraid everytime I take an interest in politics, they sicken me. It's all a circus.....

j4bberw0ck
29-Feb-08, 12:51
I'm happy to stick my hand up and say yes, I'm interested in it. I used to be completely bewildered by the process until I decided to spend some time understanding it; it's highly democratic, compared with our own system. Whether it produces better results is debatable.

The problem at the moment seems to me to be that everyone's concerned with "change" - as though change is good, of itself. It only might be. I have no confidence in either Clinton or Obama as stewards of the economy - Clinton has been saying things about freezing interest rates and loan repayments and repossessions to keep 95,000 people in California (key Primary, lost to Obama) in their houses instead of being repossessed. That would bring down the entire US secured lending market; if she re-writes the rules for political gain, if lenders can't action their security, it'll mean they won't lend, so house prices will crash utterly, banks will go bust left, right and centre and she'll trigger an economic crisis that makes the sub-prime shenanigans look like a nursery outing.

Now if she can't figure that out, or doesn't have someone on her advisory staff that can, or if she knows it but is prepared to hold it out anyway to allow her to achieve her personal ambition, then that's someone who shouldn't be in the running for President. Waaay too dangerous. At least the current President hasn't succeeded in destroying the world economy, whatever else he might have done.

Rheghead
29-Feb-08, 13:03
Well I reckon that when the Americans go into the polling booth race and gender will come into the equation and i reckon that there sould be a surprise swing towards John McCain.

I have that nagging thought as well.

Shabbychic
29-Feb-08, 14:07
I've been keeping a very close eye on the Primaries too, but I just thought no one on here was bothering about them.

The way I see it is, the media, both here and in America, are rooting for Obama. The problem I have with this is, he hasn't really said anything of substance. He preaches to his audience like an evangelical preacher, and they seem to be hypnotised by him, and just keep chanting "Yes we can."

The media are giving him a free ride, but anything the Clintons say is blown way out of proportion. Yet when his wife claimed for the first time in her adult life she is proud to be an American, that was ok.

John McCain has upset many of the Republicans because he is not conservative enough. Some have even claimed they would support Hillary before they would support him. He is also talking about a hundred year war in Iraq which doesn't go down well with many.

I fear that on the whole this election is being treated like the X factor or Big Brother by the younger voters in America. These young voters are coming out in numbers never heard of before, mainly to support Obama, but when asked why they are supporting him, they say things like "Because he's the man".

I personally hope a Democrat wins and at the moment am swaying more towards Hillary because she has a bit more experience than Obama. I also just can't take to Michelle Obamah who appears to be very dominant in her husbands life. I also think Obama is a bit naive in some of the things he says, like when asked how he would have handled the Bhutto assasination, he said he would just send the US troops into Pakistan and take control of things.

I do however believe that Obama will probably win the Democratic primary but the the Republicans will then start dishing the dirt and he won't get a free ride any more.

justine
29-Feb-08, 14:43
well i have not voted because the news that came out yesterday in the techno news on yahoo.the online computer that had counted the votes has released the winner early..All. now know who is going to succeed...So it seems daft to vote...

Cant find the link just yet but i will and then will post it...Sorry folks the winner was announced....

percy toboggan
29-Feb-08, 18:45
I am interested in the political process in the US and have been following events. Though as in all other areas of life I am not an expert, merely an interested observer. So my comments come with that caviat.

In my opinion America is still not quite ready for a black/brown President...I fear if Obama is elected assassination will be a very real fear. Too many red necks , too many of them with high velocity weapons.

I do admire the man for challenging the status quo (Clinton) so succesfully and he has caught the imagination of populace and funders (backers) alike.

Whatever we think of America's politics contrast them with the sham of an 'election' taking place in Russia.

McCain seems a genial guy with some unorthodox views for a republican. Such a relief that age seems not to matter in a society not quite as dumb as ours in this regard. (poor auld Ming). My money is on McCain.

Riffman
29-Feb-08, 20:42
I think the quote sums it up:

Every president to date has been a white male, but this may change in the next election with either Hillary Clinton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton) or Barack Obama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama) on the ballot.

Do you really think that macho nation will let a Black guy or a Women rule?

Especially as both Hilary and Obama are anti gun. No chance.

There are more guns than cars over there, its big business!

270million guns. 300 million people. 247million cars.

Tilter
29-Feb-08, 21:10
Thank you all so much for your replies so far. I can honestly say I can agree with what everyone has said (and as ever I’m impressed with Jabberwocky’s knowledge) except for Torvaig’s contribution. Sorry Torv, but it does matter, even if it hangs on sex, colour and (dubious) acting ability in some cases (not to name names). And I hope Wee Straw is wrong.

The problem at the moment seems to me to be that everyone's concerned with "change" - as though change is good, of itself. Any change from the current Bumbling One would be better? It’s looking like the US is truly looking for change. Change is at the front of Obama's shop window.

Yet when his wife claimed for the first time in her adult life she is proud to be an American, that was ok.
That is exactly how I would feel if I was a black American, and her husband, Obama, would get my vote.

I do however believe that Obama will probably win the Democratic primary but the the Republicans will then start dishing the dirt and he won't get a free ride any more.
Yup. I think you’re right on the mark (unfortunately).

well i have not voted because the news that came out yesterday in the techno news on yahoo.the online computer that had counted the votes has released the winner early..All. now know who is going to succeed...So it seems daft to vote...
Cant find the link just yet but i will and then will post it...Sorry folks the winner was announced....
Don’t know about this Justine so will rely on you to come back on this.

I am interested in the political process in the US and have been following events. Though as in all other areas of life I am not an expert, merely an interested observer. So my comments come with that caviat.
In my opinion America is still not quite ready for a black/brown President...I fear if Obama is elected assassination will be a very real fear. Too many red necks , too many of them with high velocity weapons.
Hey Sledge, I’m no expert either. I’m a superficial butterfly ( “dilettante” – feel free to correct my spelling - being the posh word for knowing a miniscule amount about many things and sounding off about it).

But seriously, I hope that Obama has good minders because the US has a very dodgy history in this respect and it should be a serious issue because many rednecks are truly beyond our (sophisticated Europeans that we are) ken.

Tilter
29-Feb-08, 21:25
I think the quote sums it up:

Every president to date has been a white male, but this may change in the next election with either Hillary Clinton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton) or Barack Obama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama) on the ballot.
Do you really think that macho nation will let a Black guy or a Women rule?
Especially as both Hilary and Obama are anti gun. No chance.
There are more guns than cars over there, its big business!
270million guns. 300 million people. 247million cars.

Oh Riffman I hope you're wrong wrong WRONG (and so do you) because I'm an eternal optimist (though god knows why).

rich
29-Feb-08, 22:47
You have just encountered the ONION. (A parody news channel)

rich
29-Feb-08, 22:58
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/diebold_accidentally_leaks

JAWS
29-Feb-08, 23:04
It's been going on so long that I fell asleep after Act 32. It's about as interesting as studying which candidate each party will be choosing to represent them in Ashby de la Zouch in the next elections here.

Wake me up when the petty squabbling is over and they get to the final Act. We still have nine months of this to go yet, and we think our politicians bore us to death in the few weeks leading up to our Election Time.

rich
29-Feb-08, 23:05
I have very mixed feelings about this camapign song. It is just a little scary...
what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSJsEVf0pU

Tilter
29-Feb-08, 23:15

Absolutely brilliant. Thanks. I’ll bookmark it.

Tilter
01-Mar-08, 00:11
I have very mixed feelings about this camapign song. It is just a little scary...
what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSJsEVf0pU

Wouldn't do it for me. It's scary to me too, but then I'm not a young American and I'm not in the American culture so how can I judge? If you were running for president and you still thought you could change the world (maybe for the better) and you thought it would get through to a lot of voters (which it might) would you use it? It's anthemic - subliminal advertising and all that - glad I'm not in the US - their TV must be really worse than usual right now.

Do the others have songs?

justine
01-Mar-08, 16:18
You have just encountered the ONION. (A parody news channel)

Thanks for that Rich.I could not for the life of me remember which link it was..have been searching for it.....;)

Torvaig
01-Mar-08, 18:27
Tilter, I didn't say it didn't matter; I am very well aware that it matters very much indeed. My comments were my answer (which still stands) to the original question which was.....

"Am I the only one here glued to this soap opera/circus?" - Tilter

"I am not interested, I cannot change it" - Torvaig

That doesn't mean that I object to the discussion taking place here or think that it doesn't matter who wins....I'm not that naive.....:)

twiglet
01-Mar-08, 23:47
I'm in the don't care category. It's politics. The same people are behind the scenes running the country, the face of it doesn't matter too much (Bush is living proof!).

Moi x
02-Mar-08, 02:23
This is the most interesting US presidential election for some years in my opinion. We will see a relatively liberal Republican (in terms of social issues) up against either a back male Democrat or a white female Democrat. And there will be no serious candidate from the unthinking religious right. Whatever the final outcome, that surely has to be good news for the rest of the thinking world.

Who will win? Well, Barack Obama might seem a shoe-in for the Democratic nomination at this point in time but I wouldn't rule out Hillary Clinton until it's all done and dusted. The Democrats desperately need to win this one so their convention will choose whichever candidate they think will have the best chance of beating John McCain on the big day.

The great irony is that a good white male Democrat would surely have been the shoe-in that many pundits are predicting will happen anyway. Have the Democrats been fighting the wrong battle, would John Edwards (or even Al Gore) have been the real shoe-in that they so desire?

It's like 1992 all over again. Bill Clinton won that one easily, but will we see a repeat victory for the Democrats in 2008? I very much hope so but there are far more unknowns this time round.

Moi x

percy toboggan
02-Mar-08, 13:50
I think 'Shabbychic's' analysis was as good as one might expect to read on a casually interested forum such as this. A refreshingly well informed post. Thanks. Moi too.

rich
03-Mar-08, 17:43
....I would suggest that what we are seeing is the "rebranding" of the United States to make its policies more palatable. To do this you require the illusion of change. Is Obama the new Lincoln, or the new face of Public Relations? Only time will tell...
But the lack of actual political content is striking.
Change, change, change they all chant. But never mind the details....

Loch not Lock
03-Mar-08, 17:55
Over 6 months ago I backed Barack Obama at 6/1 to be the American Democratic Candidate on the advice of George Galloway. He is now 1/5 and looks past the post.
Thank you George, you are a true genius. :D:D

scotsboy
03-Mar-08, 18:08
Maybe Scorrie can tell us if backing the "winner" in a two (or was it three) horse race is a sign of genius?

Loch not Lock
03-Mar-08, 18:26
Over 6 months ago George Galloway advised that Barack Obama would be the Democratic Candidate. I managed to grab some 6/1 and he is now a 1/5 certainty.
Thank you George, you are a genius.

Loch not Lock
03-Mar-08, 18:31
Successful gambling depends on one thing - VALUE.:Razz

rfr10
03-Mar-08, 18:32
Good =] =]

teddybear1873
03-Mar-08, 18:33
Wonder what the bets are for him to be assinated. My fiance resides in South Carolina and alot of whites there reckon he will popped off if he becomes The President.

scotsboy
03-Mar-08, 18:36
John McCain will be the next president of the USA.

Loch not Lock
03-Mar-08, 18:37
Wonder what the bets are for him to be assinated. My fiance resides in South Carolina and alot of whites there reckon he will popped off if he becomes The President. Very bad taste!

scotsboy
03-Mar-08, 18:39
Very bad taste!

Maybe you could ask George Galloway what the odds on Obama being assassinated are if he becomes president.........may be a value bet!

teddybear1873
03-Mar-08, 18:40
Very bad taste!

Maybe so but it could be reality. Im sure it's entered a few peoples minds if he becomes President.

JAWS
03-Mar-08, 18:47
What's new "Pussy Cat", got any more good bets? What are the odds that either a Democrat or Republican will be the next President?

Highland Laddie
03-Mar-08, 18:57
Very bad taste!

Your a supporter of George Galloway
and you call this bad taste.

Isn't that what's called double standards.

Boozeburglar
03-Mar-08, 19:18
What exactly about supporting Galloway is in bad taste?

sids
03-Mar-08, 19:25
If Borat or whatever he's called doesn't get in then it's not really a great bet.

scotsboy
03-Mar-08, 19:29

Not sure Boozeburgler, I think it may be because he is a Unionist.

Dusty
03-Mar-08, 20:10
Maybe you could ask George Galloway what the odds on Obama being assassinated are if he becomes president.........may be a value bet!

George Galloway is standing for president of the USA?

Why would Georgeous George want to assasinate Barack Obama if he gets the job?

I thought UK politics were convoluted! [lol]

superted
03-Mar-08, 20:33

Ha ha Love the pic...

You boys really do love him!!!

Ah well each to there own:D

scorrie
03-Mar-08, 20:35
Successful gambling depends on one thing - VALUE.:Razz

Have you hedged it yet?

A good bet is only any good once it becomes TOTAL certainty. If you got decent money on at 6/1, you can now hedge with Hilary at about 7/2 to make the matter beyond doubt. Obviously if we are talking a couple of quid, it is not worthwhile.

ps Funny how we never hear about those BAD investments. How are the Northern Rock speculators doing again? ;)

scorrie
03-Mar-08, 20:42
John McCain will be the next president of the USA.

Not according to the bookies. The Democrats are 2/5 favourites

If only his name was John Maclane, then I am sure all the Die Hards would be out in force to vote for him, perhaps even with a Vengance ;)

Loch not Lock
03-Mar-08, 22:15
Have you hedged it yet?

A good bet is only any good once it becomes TOTAL certainty. If you got decent money on at 6/1, you can now hedge with Hilary at about 7/2 to make the matter beyond doubt. Obviously if we are talking a couple of quid, it is not worthwhile.

ps Funny how we never hear about those BAD investments. How are the Northern Rock speculators doing again? ;)
I'm not hedging and if I were to I could lay Obama at 1.19 on Betfair which is just about 1/5 after commission. If I had a hundred on I would hedge double my stake back but as I've only had £30 at 6/1 I'm just staying put. He'll win anyway.
Thank you genius George, who does not gamble himself.

George Brims
03-Mar-08, 22:59
At least the current President hasn't succeeded in destroying the world economy, whatever else he might have done.
Give him time, he has 323 days left. So far he has been trying his damnedest. Invading a major oil producer and crippling its oil production so his buddies in the oil industry can make more money has not proved to be the smartest thing to do (unless you're an oil company).

robynaus
03-Mar-08, 23:17
Think John McCain will win because I don't think America is ready for a woman or a black man, for all the reasons already given. regards robyn

George Brims
03-Mar-08, 23:29
Think John McCain will win because I don't think America is ready for a woman or a black man, for all the reasons already given. regards robyn
Yes but America is overwhelmingly ready for a Democrat. The Republicans are in big trouble (you have no idea how good it feels to me to type that!). And to those worrying about the Southern white male vs Obama - those rednecks (at least the ones registered as Democrats) have been voting for a black man in preference to voting for a white woman.

Kevin Milkins
03-Mar-08, 23:39
My mate texd me a very funny joke on the mrs Clinton race.
Best not repeat it here though

scorrie
04-Mar-08, 15:34
I'm not hedging ...........He'll win anyway.

Wish I'd had a quid for every time I heard that!! I would have enough on to cover the stake and sit back with a free bet on Obama. Plenty 5 to 1 on shots have been couped before now. The public is fickle and can turn in a heartbeat.

George Brims
04-Mar-08, 22:08
Breaking news!

Rheghead
04-Mar-08, 23:05
Breaking news!

Yeah, right!:roll::D

Boozeburglar
04-Mar-08, 23:18
I think it will all come down to which candidate Bush opts for.

I know there is only one whose name he has a hope of pronouncing. The last thing we will hear from him will be the congratulatory address, it is not like he will be inundated with after dinner speaking gigs.

Then again, he would make a killing on the stand up circuit.

:)

robynaus
05-Mar-08, 00:58
Yes but America is overwhelmingly ready for a Democrat. The Republicans are in big trouble (you have no idea how good it feels to me to type that!). And to those worrying about the Southern white male vs Obama - those rednecks (at least the ones registered as Democrats) have been voting for a black man in preference to voting for a white woman.

Hope so George He should get on well with Kevin from Queensland our Prime Minister regards robyn

Loch not Lock
05-Mar-08, 08:51
Have you hedged it yet?

Maybe I should have taken your advice, Scorrie. Both Texas and Ohio puts Clinton back in with a squeek.:confused

scorrie
05-Mar-08, 14:09
Maybe I should have taken your advice, Scorrie. Both Texas and Ohio puts Clinton back in with a squeek.:confused

I note that Stan James have pulled their odds. Clinton was 7/2 yesterday. William Hill have her at 2/1 today!!

Moi x
08-Mar-08, 04:15
Over 6 months ago George Galloway advised that Barack Obama would be the Democratic Candidate. I managed to grab some 6/1 and he is now a 1/5 certainty.
Thank you George, you are a genius.I was beginning to think I'd have to eat my words but I'm not so sure now. Hills may not be the favourite but I think she's still in the race.