PDA

View Full Version : start up speed

silverfox57
28-Feb-08, 16:26
have windows xp from pressing start to windows internet explorer page opening takes about ten minute's is there any way to speed up start, thanks

Mr_Me19
28-Feb-08, 18:28
By pressing start I assume you mean turning it on? Try running a disk clean up and then defragmenting. If you need instuctions on how to do so then try google, if your really stumped we can help (its really not that difficult. I promise!!!).

silverfox57
29-Feb-08, 09:20
By pressing start I assume you mean turning it on? Try running a disk clean up and then defragmenting. If you need instuctions on how to do so then try google, if your really stumped we can help (its really not that difficult. I promise!!!).
hi have done all of above plus used delete.all history and have done bt broadband speed test, was fine,thanks anyway:roll:

Mr_Me19
29-Feb-08, 13:35
hi have done all of above plus used delete.all history and have done bt broadband speed test, was fine,thanks anyway:roll:

Which part is slow? Is it from startup to the computer being usable or is it from the computer being usable to the page loading?

silverfox57
29-Feb-08, 16:51
from pressing start button to windows explorer opening takes about 10 minutes.could it have to wait for mcafee security center to download ?thanks

Mr_Me19
01-Mar-08, 01:15
Is it internet explorer or windows explorer? The start button is part of windows explorer.

silverfox57
01-Mar-08, 09:59
in is INTERNET explorer home page that takes about 8 mins to open ,thanks

Mr_Me19
01-Mar-08, 12:45
So once the computer has been left on for a while, you can click start. Choose internet explorer and it then takes 8 minutes to display the homepage? (I'm asking a lot of questions as this is a very odd problem)

octane
01-Mar-08, 13:43
Sounds like you have a lot of programs running in the background using up resources ie ram etc so will bog your system down so when your trying to access the net as there all wanting to contact there relevent servers for updates or whatever, hence slowing you down.

Or your system is riddled with malware/spyware etc, its a hard one to diagnose as there is never one answer to a pc problem.

What service provider are you with ie BT, Aol etc

What operating system are you using ? Xp, linux, vista etc

Machine Specification? ram, cpu etc

Which anti-virus product are you using?

How long from when your computers turned off does it take to boot into your operating system and able to navigate around?

Did the problem just happen or has it been getting gradually worse as time goes by?

Are you using a wireless connection or is it hard wired into a router for your internet connection?

Mr_Me19
01-Mar-08, 13:44
Thats what I thought at first but it seems to only take a long time when loading internet explorer from the replies?

octane
01-Mar-08, 14:03
yeah just curious as to how long from a cold boot to having full access to the operating system to look at a photo or whatever he has stored.

Even when the desktop is loaded the timer doesnt stop then as there could be 10 programs all trying to load up at start-up so even if you try to navigate around its kinda non-responsive for a few mins until everythings loaded up.

silverfox57
01-Mar-08, 19:35
Thats what I thought at first but it seems to only take a long time when loading internet explorer from the replies?
hi thati is want happens? could it be i have 9 icons example dell support,bt yahoo,,browers,bt help icon,macfee icon,information allerts,plus some more,by the was thanks very much for all your help,:)

Mr_Me19
02-Mar-08, 12:50
hi thati is want happens? could it be i have 9 icons example dell support,bt yahoo,,browers,bt help icon,macfee icon,information allerts,plus some more,by the was thanks very much for all your help,:)

I cant quite tell what the problem is but I do have a solution:

Use Mozilla Firefox.

Bobinovich
02-Mar-08, 13:00
If you're using Internet Explorer 7 it's possible it, or an add-on it's using, may be corrupted. Try clicking the Tools menu then select Internet Options and then click the Advanced tab - now click the Reset button at the bottom of that dialog. That may sort the problem.

silverfox57
02-Mar-08, 21:51
If you're using Internet Explorer 7 it's possible it, or an add-on it's using, may be corrupted. Try clicking the Tools menu then select Internet Options and then click the Advanced tab - now click the Reset button at the bottom of that dialog. That may sort the problem.
thanks you very much ,done the trick, running like a dream,:lol: