PDA

View Full Version : Alsherson name not Gaelic, but Norse in origin.

Echidna
28-Feb-08, 10:34
It has been suggested by some that Alsherson is a Gaelic corruption of Alexanderson, indeed Blacks Dictionary of Scottish Surnames, and the North Highland Archive ascribe to this view.
I, tend to disagree. Based on purely linguistic evidence the theory appears wrong, as Mac Alisdair is the Gaelic version of Alexander's son. Linguistically and also geographically, the name appears only in a remote part of North East Caithness, between Watten, Thursa and Wick, more specifically near Freswick and Auckingill. Why the specificity? Is it purely dialectal? Why does it therefore not appear elsewhere in the Gaelic world full of McAllisters and the like? The suffix 'son' is not Gaelic but Norse, the Gaelic theory does not hold linguistic water. So who was Alsher?
Another theory is that the name descends from Svein Asleifarrson, the last Orkney Pirate who gets quite a write up in the Orkneyringa Saga. As Svein had his mainland stronghold at Buchollie Castle just south of Duncansby Head, just north of Freswick, this theory would seem both geographical and plausible. Other names said to descend from Svein are the Caithness names of Swanson (Svein's son) and Gunn (from Gunni, one of Svein's sons). The Gunns are certainly a powerful clan now, and Swanson a popular name worldwide. Maybe one day we can do a DNA to check out the theories.
Why was the Alsherson/Alchersone/Elsherson name changed by all the family around 1790-1820. Was Anglicisation enough to prompt the move? Was Norse forbearance a real problem then? Was it to sound regal, what better name than a world conquerer!

Would like to hear from anyone with a view on this subject or researching this family line.:D

golach
28-Feb-08, 11:24
Echidna,
try is web site posted by Rheghead, its tells you where names are most commonly found in Scotland and the UK

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=41197&highlight=rheghead&page=3

Echidna
28-Feb-08, 11:50
thanks OWLD MON for ya interest in this specificity (try saying that after a few pints):lol:

Echidna

Mamie_2
03-Mar-08, 14:22
All of the above are the typical endings for patrynomic surname endings back to the middle of the 17th century in Scandinavia. These were the typical way someone was referred to until the very end of the 19th century. The other surnames other than patrynomics could be farm names, nature names ( trees Lindeman for instance is for the Linden tree and military names things like Brave or Strong etc

I have done a fair bit of research in Sweden and Norway especially Nord Trondelag and Jamtland counties. Back to that point in history and I have not yet come acrros the name Asleif. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist though lol. And of course there is the rather famous Leif Eriksson.

Swan, Sven, Svein I have found.

Most of the patrynomic names those ending in son) in Scotland probably do have a Norse origin. Why Alsheron/Alsherson became Alexander is not clear to me.

Alexander in Sweden in 1890 is spelt the same way but isn't common in Jamtland at least. It is also spelt the same in 1865 in Nord Trondelag again not a common name. There is a Nordic name Eleasar/Eliesar or Elisar which is supposed to mean My God's helper which would indicate it post Christian name since Eli is supposed to be Hebrew for "my God". I could see it becoming Alsher/Elsher.

Mamie_2
03-Mar-08, 15:04
It's very strange that he would be called Asleifsson rather than Olafsson if Olaf and Asleif were actually "married" lol. Or there is some doubt that Olaf was really his father. Since the Norse were pagans "wife" may not be the correct term.

If they were then Asleif the "wife "was the more important or better known person of the couple. Asleif /Asleifar) means heir or descendant of god apparently lol. Which one isn't clear.

It's really not common for men to be known as a woman's son even in Viking times.

Maryann

Echidna
10-Mar-08, 06:51
Echidna,
try is web site posted by Rheghead, its tells you where names are most commonly found in Scotland and the UK

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=41197&highlight=rheghead&page=3

unfortunately for the Alsherson researchers, the families had all changed their surnames to Alexander by about 1830, thus do not appear in the National Trust heritage languages listing of 1881. So how does one define a heritage surname that exists well before 1881? Preheritage perhaps!

alasdairfm
15-Mar-08, 10:23
My understanding is that the spelling is just how it was recorded phonetically. Caithness folk had/have their own scots dialect.
Alasdair

Echidna
15-Mar-08, 22:28
My understanding is that the spelling is just how it was recorded phonetically. Caithness folk had/have their own scots dialect.
Alasdair

Hi Alasdair,
yes it may be phonetic, but a phonetic rendering of what? The recent discussion on Bilingual signs in the general category pages on the Org would seem to suggest a Norse origin and not Gaelic one for Caithness names. The Caithness vernacular seems to be influenced more from the North (Norse)than from the Sassenach (Saxon) or Frankish influenced Normans, called by some the English.

Echidna