PDA

View Full Version : The Woman Who Stopped Traffic - work in Wick?

rfr10
27-Feb-08, 17:57
I don't know how many of you watched the tv programme the other night about the problem solver who managed to reduce the number of cars on the roads of a town for one day by asking people to cycle/ walk/ use public transport to get around. If the same thing was to happen in Wick, do you thing people would be willing to do this for ONE DAY?

Explain vote.

justine
27-Feb-08, 18:06
Are you kidding.She did my head in..and most of the people she stopped...........[disgust]

rfr10
27-Feb-08, 18:15
Are you kidding.She did my head in..and most of the people she stopped...........[disgust]

She did succeed though. Yes her voice was irritating but it did work out for her in the end. Oh and I don't mean that she'd have to be the one who organized it all if it was to be done in Wick.

dandod
27-Feb-08, 18:23
i think its a great idea. i dont have a car,dont have the need for one.in my opinion it just makes you lazy.

rob16d
27-Feb-08, 18:32
And having a car has astronomical costs and bills! I would! As long as EVERYONE else would.

justine
27-Feb-08, 18:34
And having a car has astronomical costs and bills! I would! As long as EVERYONE else would.

Hey rob..Theres a job for us..We could stop traffic going up Mcarther street.......

Highland Laddie
27-Feb-08, 18:38

Not as bad as you think Rob

I reckon i only spend around £1000 a year for each car to keep them on the road.

northener
27-Feb-08, 19:07
To be honest, we haven't really got a problem in Wick with traffic volume.

What we do have a problem with is idiots parking inconsiderately or simply not bothering to follow the rules of the road at all.......

Many of the people driving around Wick are from outwith the town and have no other means of getting in or out for their shopping. The bus service is abysmal and it gets far too windy to consider a push-iron as a realistic daily form of transport.

Sort out the idiots and Wicks problems will be reduced by a large percentage.

MadPict
27-Feb-08, 19:32
Wick cannot be compared to Marlow.

rfr10
27-Feb-08, 19:49
To be honest, we haven't really got a problem in Wick with traffic volume.

What we do have a problem with is idiots parking inconsiderately or simply not bothering to follow the rules of the road at all.......

Many of the people driving around Wick are from outwith the town and have no other means of getting in or out for their shopping. The bus service is abysmal and it gets far too windy to consider a push-iron as a realistic daily form of transport.

Sort out the idiots and Wicks problems will be reduced by a large percentage.

Why do you say the bus service is abysmal?

MadPict
27-Feb-08, 19:58
Introduce Congestion Charging Zone to Wick High Street.......

rfr10
27-Feb-08, 20:19
Introduce Congestion Charging Zone to Wick High Street.......

That's a good point to bring up actually. I'll maybe suggest that to the council about parking bays or something along those lines.

The problem is at the moment, you can park wherever you want after 6pm or on Sundays.

I will certainly send an email to the transport/ roads department of the council to try and resolve the problem.

Boozeburglar
27-Feb-08, 20:52
How about having a day when all the people with cars lend their cars to all the people who don't have cars, or driving licenses?

This would half the traffic permanently.

Whitewater
27-Feb-08, 22:39
I use my bike regularly when moving about the town. I often walk as well, I just like being out in the fresh air and it never occured to me that I was helping to solve a traffic problem. I don't think there are any traffic problems in Wick.

Riffman
27-Feb-08, 22:40
Wick, congestion charging?

ROFLcopter!!!!!!

Naa, thurso is far worzse to drive through, idiots all over the places, and that tesco junctiuon arg.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

ywindythesecond
27-Feb-08, 23:33
That's a good point to bring up actually. I'll maybe suggest that to the council about parking bays or something along those lines.

The problem is at the moment, you can park wherever you want after 6pm or on Sundays.

I will certainly send an email to the transport/ roads department of the council to try and resolve the problem.

What actually is the problem about "The problem is at the moment, you can park wherever you want after 6pm or on Sundays." ??
ywy2
And I am just interested, parking in Wick isn't a problem that affects me.

northener
27-Feb-08, 23:55
Why do you say the bus service is abysmal?

If you get the bus from Groats into Wick at 9.00 ish, you can't get a return until 1.00 ish.

If you are an old duffer or have kids in tow, you're not going to be happy about spending approx 4 hours freezing your nuts off.........

Also, the bus service does not cover Lyth, amongst other areas. This leaves a fair few people with a real transport headache.

BTW Fiscal constraints are the main reason for the lack of buses, I'm sure. But that doesn't put the service beyond criticism.

MadPict
28-Feb-08, 00:55
Have things changed so much since I was last in Wick?
Parking at the Riverside is what, a couple of minutes walk up to the High Street?
I have never had a problem finding a parking space so exactly what is the issue?

brandy
28-Feb-08, 08:51
its just that no one wants to walk from the car park to the street! *Grins*

philupmaboug
28-Feb-08, 09:42
The centre of Wick is almost deserted and you want a congestion charge! Good gag!
Don't give up your day job.

j4bberw0ck
28-Feb-08, 12:16
[Off Topic Alert]

BTW Fiscal constraints are the main reason for the lack of buses, I'm sure. But that doesn't put the service beyond criticism.

Northener, northener....... have you no care for the enviro-ment (as the BBC persist in calling it?). Care you not for gorbal worming? For shame, for shame...... stop throwing up that sweaty night-cap a moment (you shouldn't eat such things anyway) and pin back yer lugs:

Let me see.....

1. Buses are empty because they run at the wrong times?
2. There should be more buses, or more bus-miles, so buses would be wherever, whenever people want them?
3. There should be more buses or bus-miles so buses can go to places they don't currently serve?
4. All those empty seats attached to the back of all those big polluting diesel engines can go charging round the country pumping out pollutants at levels ever-greater than before?

Perhaps the better answer is to give every resident of remote areas a fuel-efficient little Tata Nano (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://tatanano.inservices.tatamotors.com/tatamotors/)so they can get where they want, when they want, without all those nasty fumes and particulates?

Or for Caithness to buy 1000 of them for the price of a very small bus fleet and just park them round the county for anyone to use, any time. The functionality and fairness of the scheme would be massively improved by having a few rules:

a. Park one at or near your house - death by hanging
b. Smoke in one - death by gassing
c. Drink and drive in one - death by poison
d. Keep one past midnight on the day you borrowed it - death by being turned into a pumpkin and processed for soup
e. Teenagers using one for, ah, rear seat gymnastics practice would be sterilised, at once, for the good of themselves and Society; I expect this measure on its own to lead, longer-term, to a reduction in antisocial behaviour and binge-drinking as their genes are slowly but surely bred out of the population, leading to huge benefits in health care for the rest of us and addressing Justine's concerns about drunk teens hogging beds and stomach-pumps
e. Ladies Of The Night treating vehicles as working premises, or leaving [ahem] business cards pushed into the cracks between panels in the dashboard would be sent to Stornoway on a Sunday to be chained up like the swings. Or maybe better, on the swings..... hmm, there's a thought..... :eek:

I'm sure there'd have to be some other rules too, but I foresee the day, Comrades, when our latest Five Year Plan will culminate in a truly efficient, public-service oriented, free transport scheme which will flower and become, like our Glorious National Health Service, the Envy Of The World!

Power to the People! Long live the Glorious Revolution!Cont. p94

:lol:

[/Off Topic Alert]

Rheghead
28-Feb-08, 12:22
2. There should be more buses, or more bus-miles, so buses would be wherever, whenever people want them?
3. There should be more buses or bus-miles so buses can go to places they don't currently serve?

An hourly bus til midnight would be great from Thurso to Bettyhill and back, now if only I could get til e pub more often, I wouldn't spent so much time on here!

dessie
28-Feb-08, 15:42
if you did that in wick it would shut down.please behave...

northener
28-Feb-08, 16:52
Comrade J4bs,

Your vision and inspiration are an example to us all. I was almost as moved as when Comrade Mrs N fell off the roof whilst attempting to swat bats.

Who would have thought the humble Tata Nano could forever change the communication and transport face -(face? farce?)- of the Peoples' Republic of the Far North?

Here's to the next Five year Plan!

With one small amendment:

e: The Comrade Female Night Operatives. Er...could we arrange for them to be chained to swings somewhere a little more punitive?
Ahem,....I think that my back garden is really not very nice at all, and these girls really ought to be sent somewhere where they'll jolly well get what they deserve.........

j4bberw0ck
28-Feb-08, 17:42
Ahem,....I think that my back garden is really not very nice at all, and these girls really ought to be sent somewhere where they'll jolly well get what they deserve.........

Very public-spirited of you, Comrade. Clearly, you're a fine, upstanding Class 1 Hero Member of the Glorious Revolution and absolutely gagging Heroically Prepared to be intimately involved in the rehabilitation of these less-fortunate Comrades. :lol:

rfr10
28-Feb-08, 18:58
[Off Topic Alert]

Northener, northener....... have you no care for the enviro-ment (as the BBC persist in calling it?). Care you not for gorbal worming? For shame, for shame...... stop throwing up that sweaty night-cap a moment (you shouldn't eat such things anyway) and pin back yer lugs:

Let me see.....

4. All those empty seats attached to the back of all those big polluting diesel engines can go charging round the country pumping out pollutants at levels ever-greater than before?

Perhaps the better answer is to give every resident of remote areas a fuel-efficient little Tata Nano (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://tatanano.inservices.tatamotors.com/tatamotors/)so they can get where they want, when they want, without all those nasty fumes and particulates?

Or for Caithness to buy 1000 of them for the price of a very small bus fleet and just park them round the county for anyone to use, any time. The functionality and fairness of the scheme would be massively improved by having a few rules:

a. Park one at or near your house - death by hanging
b. Smoke in one - death by gassing
c. Drink and drive in one - death by poison
d. Keep one past midnight on the day you borrowed it - death by being turned into a pumpkin and processed for soup
e. Teenagers using one for, ah, rear seat gymnastics practice would be sterilised, at once, for the good of themselves and Society; I expect this measure on its own to lead, longer-term, to a reduction in antisocial behaviour and binge-drinking as their genes are slowly but surely bred out of the population, leading to huge benefits in health care for the rest of us and addressing Justine's concerns about drunk teens hogging beds and stomach-pumps
e. Ladies Of The Night treating vehicles as working premises, or leaving [ahem] business cards pushed into the cracks between panels in the dashboard would be sent to Stornoway on a Sunday to be chained up like the swings. Or maybe better, on the swings..... hmm, there's a thought..... :eek:

I'm sure there'd have to be some other rules too, but I foresee the day, Comrades, when our latest Five Year Plan will culminate in a truly efficient, public-service oriented, free transport scheme which will flower and become, like our Glorious National Health Service, the Envy Of The World!

Power to the People! Long live the Glorious Revolution!Cont. p94

:lol:

[/Off Topic Alert]

Why didn't you say all this when I made a thread asking about public transport? It wouldn't have been off topic then.

rfr10
28-Feb-08, 19:01
The centre of Wick is almost deserted and you want a congestion charge! Good gag!
Don't give up your day job.

I think you'll realise that if you go through the High Street at night after the traffic warden goes home, you'll find that both sides of the streets are usually packed with cars on both sides making it a struggle to get past sometimes. In the morning, it's either delievery lorries or taxi drivers you usually see parked along the street.

j4bberw0ck
28-Feb-08, 20:44
Why didn't you say all this when I made a thread asking about public transport?

I'm sorry, rfr10.

MadPict
28-Feb-08, 20:44
Well taxis are a form of public transport - they get to use the bus lanes down here. So taxis in effect are a 'bus' for those willing topay for them.
And delivery lorries are hardly expected to park a mile away from the store they are dropping off goods at - if you have ever had to deliver goods then maybe you would view them differently.

And vehicles parked after 6pm? Most places permit free parking on the street after 6PM if parking bays are provided.

Sounds like you are wanting to exclude all traffic from the centre of town?....

Red Ken?....

Flair
28-Feb-08, 20:50
I couldn't see myself doing that. But if others want to do it then fair play to you.

JAWS
01-Mar-08, 00:28
Many years ago I used to live less than four miles from the centre of a large city. As a result of a change of job I moved from working locally to my home to working in the City Centre.
Fine, I thought, I will make use of the Public Transport System and that is when I discovered the horrible truth.

At the time I used to work different shifts.
1. 7am - 3pm. The bus ran at some time between 6.05 and 6.30 that is provided the driver turned up and it came at all. I gave that up after having to dash back home for the car and having to drive like a maniac to be on time for work.
2. 9am – 5pm. Now you would think would be an easy one. Nope, definitely wrong. Getting to work was fine, finishing at five was a different story. If I could skive off 10 minutes early that was OK, a furious dash of 2 to 3 hundred yards and I just about made the bus. If I had to finish on time and catch the next bus I would get the four miles home in about an hour and a half if I was lucky.
3. 3pm – 11pm. Going was fine. Finishing at eleven, forget it! Bus? What bus?
4. 5pm – 1am. See above.
5. 11pm – 7am. Well, if you fancy setting off to travel less than four miles at just after 9pm to be in work for 11pm then fine, I lost patience. Half way through the journey the bus, for some reason, used to take a break of anything up to 30 minutes for a change of crew. (I never found out why that happened shortly before they finished for the day.)

I gave up and resorted to using my car in self defence. And all that does not include the times when I would unexpectedly have to stay at work for an extra three or four hours because of unforeseen problems.
And that was in the Good old Days when the local buses were run by the Local Councils and the Express Buses were all Nationalised, so you will never hear my complain about the Privatisation of Bus Services.

I know what my reaction to the stupid woman would have been, I would have advised her I knew where she could find a very understanding Psychiatrist to help her with her delusions.
As far as doing that in Wick, all KI have to say is, "There's a long, long road a winding into the land of somebodies dreams!" And it ain't mine!