PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I'm being invaded by slugs!

Julia
27-Feb-08, 14:27
OMG! I am so grossed out, I keep finding slugs in my house, usually in the kitchen but I just found a big one clinging to the underside of one of my son's toys! I couldn't get the slime off my fingers and ended up using bleach and hot water! I'm not normally scared of them but once I realised what I was touching :eek:!!! How can I keep them out, why are they coming in?

I've looked this up on the internet and apparently they only live for a few days indoors!

justine
27-Feb-08, 14:29
could be worse you could be invaded by aliens............

BRIE
27-Feb-08, 14:36
put a line of salt over the entrance to your doors & windows it should kill them before they have chance to get in.

justine
27-Feb-08, 14:37
put a line of salt over the entrance to your doors & windows it should kill them before they have chance to get in.

I did that once and when i got up in the morning i found squishy slugs. had to scrape them off the floor with a shovel...Yeukkkkk:eek:

unicorn
27-Feb-08, 14:38
put down salt around your doorways.:D

justine
27-Feb-08, 14:41
on a more serious note, you could try putting a bowl of beer down(comes cheap in tescos;)) as they are attracted to the smell..The bowl must be by the back door and deep enough for them to drown....but make sure the wee one dont get there first......By the way they are out early this year. ithought they did not come out till about may

Venture
27-Feb-08, 14:43
Hi Julia I had that problem recently myself. You have to find the source of where they are getting in. Mines was in a space between the flooring and the wall behind my washing machine. Salt does stop them only thing is they are inclined to then swell up and explode which gets a bit messy.

unicorn
27-Feb-08, 14:43
I did that once and when i got up in the morning i found squishy slugs. had to scrape them off the floor with a shovel...Yeukkkkk:eek:
aaaccch there goes the thought of lunch, my stomach is churning at the thought :eek:

chaz
27-Feb-08, 14:45
Beer works:) We used to keep a saucer of it outside our back door

justine
27-Feb-08, 14:45
aaaccch there goes the thought of lunch, my stomach is churning at the thought :eek:

Just dont be having any jelly or cream for lunch.....looks very similar....:confused

unicorn
27-Feb-08, 14:47
awwwwwwww Justine...........:eek:

justine
27-Feb-08, 14:47
Beer works:) We used to keep a saucer of it outside our back door

Was that for you or the slugsssssssssssss...;)

justine
27-Feb-08, 14:49
awwwwwwww Justine...........:eek:

Sorry hun...Hope you are not having birthday party.....Cant you tell i am getting back to my old self......[lol]

BRIE
27-Feb-08, 14:54
on a more serious note, you could try putting a bowl of beer down(comes cheap in tescos;)) as they are attracted to the smell..The bowl must be by the back door and deep enough for them to drown....but make sure the wee one dont get there first......By the way they are out early this year. ithought they did not come out till about may

maybe not a bowl full or you could find a few beer guzzling teenagers in that bowl in the morning too.hehe
justine your definately getting back to your former self! your on form:D

justine
27-Feb-08, 14:59
maybe not a bowl full or you could find a few beer guzzling teenagers in that bowl in the morning too.hehe
justine your definately getting back to your former self! your on form:D

I know its great aint it.....As for the teens they should go to tescos and get their own..its cheap these days not free...The slugs are better off with it, atleast they will just drown and not start fighting or causing a public nuisance...............;)

Julia
27-Feb-08, 15:29
Hi Julia I had that problem recently myself. You have to find the source of where they are getting in. Mines was in a space between the flooring and the wall behind my washing machine. Salt does stop them only thing is they are inclined to then swell up and explode which gets a bit messy.

I don't understand where they are coming from, I have had a new kitchen and all new flooring put in, I can't think of any gaps, I do keep the kitchen window open all the time but surely I would see a slimy trail over the worktop? I will put down salt at the back door, do they really swell up and explode, that sounds a painful death! :eek: I think I will try the beer, at least they will die happy!

I called in someone to remove the slug and there were actually two under the bainrn's toys, I have phoned the council and hopefully someone will come up with a solution.

unicorn
27-Feb-08, 16:21
If you have a gap they will get in, they love my rabbit shed (it must be the mollasses in the food or something) and it amazes me that they can get under the door:eek:

Tighsonas4
27-Feb-08, 21:32
HI SLUG INVADERS
what if the slugs get boozy and tun amock [lol] have heard of the beer but you can also get slug pellets to buy. it frizzles them up to tho
best of luck tony

mandy&baz
27-Feb-08, 22:41
any luck with removing the slugs julia?? i have found the odd one or 2 in the kitchen too....i hate the bloody things!!!! the are so disgusting!!!

Thumper
27-Feb-08, 22:43
Dont give them beer...they will get drunk,get affectionate and then mate :eek: x

ashaw1
27-Feb-08, 22:43
The solution to this one is to use sawdust instead! It sucks the fluid out of them and makes them shrivel up!

Highland Laddie
27-Feb-08, 22:44
Nice done on the George Foreman though

justine
27-Feb-08, 22:46
Dont give them beer...they will get drunk,get affectionate and then mate :eek: x

Please dont tell me you are a secret slug watcher.....;)

Thumper
27-Feb-08, 22:48
Please dont tell me you are a secret slug watcher.....

Nope...I have first hand knowledge tho...I married one ;) [lol] x

justine
27-Feb-08, 22:49
Nope...I have first hand knowledge tho...I married one ;) [lol] x
Dare i ask if you are still married to this slug.....

Thumper
27-Feb-08, 22:51
Nope......used the salt technique ages ago ;) x

justine
27-Feb-08, 22:52
You cruel cruel thumper you........;):(

Highland Laddie
27-Feb-08, 22:53
Nope......used the salt technique ages ago ;) x

Now now Thumper, you sound too nice to be so [evil]

Thumper
27-Feb-08, 22:55
Aww thank you Highland laddie, I am nice most of the time ;) x

Liz
27-Feb-08, 23:29
Oh poor you!

Here is a factsheet I found online but maybe you've read it already.
http://www.oldham.gov.uk/ocfs-env-epeh60s.pdf

Maybe you could put slug pubs all around the walls of your house to stop them coming into the house?

Good luck!

aburns
28-Feb-08, 09:28
been there absolutly minging!!!
Kitchen covered - getting milk during the night for the wee one stepping over the bloody things!!!!!

I got the SLUG MANNIE!!!!!

He was through the council he was great he is the enviromental mannie got scotty dogs!! Who once killed a rat in my brothers bedroom!!!!
Anyway they were getting in through the vents in the outer wall!! He sorted the s out - phone the council & ask for advice & hopefully they will send him out, good luck x

KCI
28-Feb-08, 09:34
Julia, if I were you............I'd move house! :eek:

Sorry, don't have any proper advice to give you - best bet is to call the Council as someone has already said.

Good Luck!

young_fishin_neep
28-Feb-08, 10:56
you have my deepest sympathy thats gotta be horrible i hate slugs with a passion, if i see on in the garden i take the salt to them they really do give me the shivers :(

kazzii xxxx

thebigman
28-Feb-08, 14:15
Get yourself a hedgehog they love slugs.

Highland Laddie
28-Feb-08, 15:58
Get yourself a hedgehog they love slugs.

That is a good idea, and it works

I have had 3 hedgehogs in my back garden, and they certainly do keep down the slugs.

All i have to do now, is find a way to stop them climbing the 6 foot drystone wall that surrounds my back garden, and disappearing into the sunset.

rob16d
28-Feb-08, 16:02
Slat...tried and tested, broken eggshells works....but you'd need a lotta eggs....open a pancake house!

Highland Laddie
28-Feb-08, 16:04
Slat...tried and tested, broken eggshells works....but you'd need a lotta eggs....open a pancake house!

Hi Rob

Is that for the slugs or the hedgehogs :lol:

honey
28-Feb-08, 16:06
maybe not a bowl full or you could find a few beer guzzling teenagers in that bowl in the morning too.

i now have visions of groups of teenagers chucking slugs into peoples house in the hope of getting a bowl of beer!! :lol: