PDA

View Full Version : Clydesdale Bank account raided

Valerie Campbell
27-Feb-08, 10:37
My friend's brother has just had his CB current account emptied by a person or persons unknown. They cleaned him out. He, like many others, did online banking and this is apparently how they gained access to his information. If you do online banking with any insitiution, keep a regualr eye on transactions. Could this be the beginning of 25 million accounts being targeted after the data loss?

justine
27-Feb-08, 10:40
i am sorry to hear about this..It is terrible that we have to live with this kind of thing....But that is the chance you take when you do online banking...Is there nothing he can do,will the bank not help him as it is theft.....

I just hope that they put some in ours, cause there aint anythign to take;)

Valerie Campbell
27-Feb-08, 10:42
I just hope that they put some in ours, cause there aint anythign to take;)[/QUOTE]

Same as us then! The bank have said he has nothing to worry about. They will reimburse him but it's the fact that the security didn't work that gets me. Am just going to be vigilant.

justine
27-Feb-08, 10:55
well at least they are going to reinburse him..I would not mind but the banks are the ones that ask us to do online protection so they should be more vigilant too....It is madness and it is also a problem that is only going to get worse..its a pity there is no way to keep data secure..But with all the technology and hackers it is going to be harder for us to stay safe....

silverfox57
27-Feb-08, 11:47
as i have been done last year ,when credit card a/c arrived was two flights,abroad for £350 plus £180,?phone bank and told me would not have to pay, but had to destroy card and start new a/c, i do not use on line shopping the same now, as bank found out that it was online shopping where the crooks got my card details from,i always make sure site is secure now,

Penelope Pitstop
27-Feb-08, 11:57
as i have been done last year ,when credit card a/c arrived was two flights,abroad for £350 plus £180,?phone bank and told me would not have to pay, but had to destroy card and start new a/c, i do not use on line shopping the same now, as bank found out that it was online shopping where the crooks got my card details from,i always make sure site is secure now,

I got my credit card "cloned" when I was abroad. Waiter took the card away after pin being punched in the hand held machine - made out he had forgot to give it back (only about 10 seconds had passed). He had in the meantime swiped it and got the info on his laptop.

I was suspicious so phoned the credit card company when I got back to my appartment I wondered if he had put another payment through on it or something, but no he hadn't at the time. Anyway told the story to the operator who logged it.

Wasn't aware of anything else until credit card company phoned about 6 weeks later asking if I had withdrawn hundreds of pounds on the card abroad....no I was at home. The card had been cloned...probably sold to someone. I didn't have to pay the money thank goodness...it was just over £400, card was stopped and I got a new one.

Some folk are up to all kinds of tricks...just be aware.

The Angel Of Death
27-Feb-08, 12:06
What gets me is the banks are writing the payments off from a customers point of view that's great if its not there fault

Does anyone know if the banks chase / find the people who made the false transaction or do they just write it off as a loss because if they do that then its not exactly a deterrent is it ???

It happened to me with the credit card and I always make sure that the site is secure thankfully it was only a test purchase for a £ or 2 and I wasn't bothered about the money it was more the hassle of cancelling the card and having to start a new one that was the killer

unicorn
27-Feb-08, 12:45
Hubby had hs details nicked on the Apple website when we bought our daughter an i-pod

rob16d
27-Feb-08, 12:48
This is ridiculous, I can't believe this is happening, it makes me SO angry!

ocd
27-Feb-08, 14:07
I had my account raided not so long ago. The bank did reimurse me but I had the hassle of changing my account etc.

I tried to pursue the bank to catch the perpetrator but they weren't that interested. What got me was that most of the transactions were mail order, surely it wouldn't be that difficult to find out where the goods were due to be delivered!

The Angel Of Death
27-Feb-08, 14:15
Exactly kinda gives the bad dudes free reign doenst it if no one is caught and dealt with something like this will continue to go on and on

If there has been goods sent to an address then it wouldnt be that hard (well id imagine) to find out who ordered the goods in the first place

poppett
27-Feb-08, 14:16
Have just had an email from paypal asking for faxes of photo id and both sides of my credit card.....Looks official,, but the alarm bells are ringing big style.

unicorn
27-Feb-08, 14:18
ummm I think I would give that a mis and inform paypal. FOR SURE

purplerain
27-Feb-08, 14:20
Goodness I've heard about these things happening on news etc. but I am shocked to see just how many locals this has happened to, I do online banking and buy a lot of goods online too, it has made me think. Yeah you never hear of these scumbags being prosecuted do you? Awful.

purplerain
27-Feb-08, 14:22
Have just had an email from paypal asking for faxes of photo id and both sides of my credit card.....Looks official,, but the alarm bells are ringing big style.
Poppett definately sounds like a scam, get onto paypal immediately and find out whats going on.

MGB1979
27-Feb-08, 14:53
Hubby had hs details nicked on the Apple website when we bought our daughter an i-pod

The security breach is more likely to be on your own computer rather than the Apple website. Probably a 'keylogger' (which records and transmits keystrokes), I recommend you scan your PC for trojans as a matter of urgency.

unicorn
27-Feb-08, 14:56
No the credit card company traced it back to the apple site they said, Never happened since, thankfully.

ciderally
27-Feb-08, 22:26
just read all this with intrest...as i do a lot online..and so far so good..touch wood, but it does make you think...one thing i noticed over here in spain, and its happened a couple of times..when the family were over in the summer we rented a car for them..in the glove box were about 4 sets of previous contracts of the last hire's..with all there details on it..address's in the uk full c.c. details and signature's ...so a note to anyone coming over here and renting a car make sure you take the contracts with you when you leave it...

George Brims
27-Feb-08, 23:29
If you know how to do so in your email program, turn on full headers in your email (usually the display is just "From", "To", "Date" and "Subject"). Then forward the message to spoof@paypal.com. Paypal will send you back a nice thank you telling you it was a scam, and they'll try to track down the people sending it. No company would ask for such information.

George Brims
27-Feb-08, 23:33
Another thing to look out for (two actually now I think of it).

If you're away from home or using a laptop at home, never ever do any online banking while connected via wireless.

If you use a for-hire computer in a cafe or wherever, make sure to change any passwords you have used, first chance you get. I used the computer at Debenhams in Inverness a couple of years ago to check my email. Two days later I went back, and when I went to log into my email *it had remembered my password*!

sprint95m
28-Feb-08, 00:05
Does anyone know if the banks chase / find the people who made the false transaction or do they just write it off as a loss because if they do that then its not exactly a deterrent is it ???
No.

Technically, the banks don't "write it off as a loss". Instead they make charges on all businesses taking credit card payments, so the businesses have to bear this cost, whether or not they are to blame in any way.

thebigman
28-Feb-08, 00:43
I just wish I'd get raided and they steal my overdraft :-)

anneoctober
28-Feb-08, 01:37
I just wish I'd get raided and they steal my overdraft :-)
Let us know if you get "lucky" LOL :lol:

Tristan
28-Feb-08, 08:08
The security breach is more likely to be on your own computer rather than the Apple website. Probably a 'keylogger' (which records and transmits keystrokes), I recommend you scan your PC for trojans as a matter of urgency.

If you are doing online banking some companies like RBS only ask for part of your ID and password in a random fashion. This means there is Less chance of a "keylogger" getting any useful information.
In addition even with wireless security you should only do banking or card transactions on a PC that is connected directly to the internet.