PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake

Tugmistress
27-Feb-08, 02:28
yup, you read it right, an earthquake has not long ago happened in Englandshire, just spoken to ex who is in east yorkshire who felt it, other parts of the country felt it more. all over bbc news 24 now.

Metalattakk
27-Feb-08, 02:35
Blokes on the radio just now are saying they felt tremors in London too, and reports from as far south as Brighton.

Lasted about 6 seconds in total, but doesn't seem to have caused any significant damage.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Tugmistress
27-Feb-08, 03:10
yeah, saying epicentre was 15 miles northeast of lincoln and 4.7 on the richter scale. seems like quite a lot of the country were woken up by it. i suppose any damage will be seen in daylight.

oldmarine
27-Feb-08, 04:06
Read about it in local paper here in Tucson. Wondered whether it was felt in the highlands near Thurso? Guess not as no one has so stated.

Sporran
27-Feb-08, 05:47
Must call mumsie in the morning, and find out if my folks they felt it where they are! :eek:

kriklah
27-Feb-08, 08:28
Hubby works away in Derby, emailed me to say it woke him up around 1am-ish

brokencross
27-Feb-08, 09:28
My daughter who lives 5 floors up in a flat in Leeds felt it; says it was really weird.

superted
27-Feb-08, 10:53
I live in lincoln and boy did I feel it. An extremly loud rumbling noise followed by the whole house shaking, it lasted about 5-10 seconds. No damage thankfully, however a scary event nevertheless.....

MadPict
27-Feb-08, 11:31
I was sat watching TV at the time it happened. My chair just shifted back and forth and the house 'trembled' - I thought "there's an earthquake" and logged the time 00.58.
No damage to Castle Pict though....

Rheghead
27-Feb-08, 12:05
Isn't these things caused by the land lifting because of the ice from the ice age has melted away? I would have thought coal mining would contribute to those shear forces in the Earth's crust as well, albeit very negligibly. Or would it be negligible?

MadPict
27-Feb-08, 12:41
It's not the old mines, it's all the chuffing windfarms...

If you want information about earthquakes in the UK...
http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/

Rheghead
27-Feb-08, 13:01

I don't think so. Since they mitigate carbon emmissions then coal etc will be left in the ground. ;)

badger
27-Feb-08, 13:17
I don't think so. Since they mitigate carbon emmissions then coal etc will be left in the ground. ;)

Ah but - they cause vibration over a wide area, who knows yet how much? That's why they can't build them on fault lines. But please - let's stick to earthquakes and keep off windfarms for 5 mins. :roll: .

My daughter felt it in middle of London - said it was like a wave of motion through the floor.

mums angels
27-Feb-08, 13:58
My folks near leeds felt it too , they wern't aware they had until they went downstairs in the morning saw things moved and fallen over and my disabled grandma muttering about something only figured out exactlly what it was when they turned on the tele . when the house was actually shaking the assumed that the other one was jumping about in bed to get comfortable and just went back to sleep :lol:

Rheghead
27-Feb-08, 14:03
let's stick to earthquakes and keep off windfarms for 5 mins. :roll:

I didn't start it! neh neh! :)

And did you make it up about the fault lines?

MadPict
27-Feb-08, 15:10
Back on topic (just a wee bit of fun FGS) we have quite a few earthquakes in the UK every year but only every now and again do we one which we can actually 'feel'.

This is about the 4th that has been strong enough for me to have actually felt.

catnip
27-Feb-08, 17:10
Read about it in local paper here in Tucson. Wondered whether it was felt in the highlands near Thurso? Guess not as no one has so stated.

Well I am in Wick and the earth didn't move for me last night !

Highland Laddie
27-Feb-08, 17:57

If you want information about earthquakes in the UK...
http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/

Nope, it's all the empty oil wells
the world is going to implode

the end is nigh i say :eek:

nanoo
27-Feb-08, 18:06
yup, you read it right, an earthquake has not long ago happened in Englandshire, just spoken to ex who is in east yorkshire who felt it, other parts of the country felt it more. all over bbc news 24 now.This was on the one o'clock news today. They said then it was felt as far down as Devon and as far up as Dumfrieshire, No casualities, i'm glad to say, just a lot of damage in one way or another. It's the strongest(5.2) in 25 years. Still, i'm glad everyone concerned is okay. ;)

porshiepoo
27-Feb-08, 18:08
I remember in about 1990 the bedroom shook for about 5 secs during the day.
Hubby was at work and didn't feel a thing, neither did the neighbour. They all thought I was a bit nutty I think, till they saw on the evening news that there had been a minor quake somewhere else and that people were feeling it in Nottm.

Had another experience on the beach in Lesvos. Thought the wind had suddenly whipped up and was trying to take the lounger out from under me. Till I looked up to check the kids and saw everyone gripping things for dear life as an earthquake had occured about 30 miles away. The kids found it most amusing but I ruddy well didn't.

scorpion
27-Feb-08, 20:49
Well i live in Wick and i felt the quake last night because at exactly one o`clock i was wakened by the room vibrating and the bed being shaken but seeing as i was in Lincoln last night just five miles from Market Rasen thats probably why ! Quite frightening when you get wakened like that and you dont really know what is going on

paris
27-Feb-08, 22:12
Hi all , yep we sure felt it ! Had a friend staying last night , she was on the couch and came up stairs screaming, it woke the whole household up. My parrots were squawking like mad the dogs were barking and the kids were crying.
As we looked out the bedroom window we saw a fox stood in the middle of the rd scared stiff, when it stopped it run of over the field.
It knocked my Cd's of from the shelf and all the furniture was shaking quite bad. The noise was horrendous, sounded like a Chinook helicopter landing on the roof.
Well its certainly moved my world but not in the way i was expecting !!:lol:
Lots of structual damage to property down her but ours all ok thank god, just put it on the market so glad there was no damage to ours.
jan xx

justine
27-Feb-08, 22:15
Nope, it's all the empty oil wells
the world is going to implode

the end is nigh i say :eek:

nope you are all wrong..It was Tescos dropping there Booze prices......;)

young_fishin_neep
28-Feb-08, 12:00
my dad was outside and said it felt like a big gust of wind but without the wind, he didnt know what it was until i foned to see if all was okay,he thought it was a big gas explosion or something :roll: thats men for ya i supose,

yesterday GMTV were inundated with emails from people about it and most women were saying they woke with a fright and thier husbands slept through it!!

kazzii xxxx

George Brims
28-Feb-08, 20:26
It's interesting how a thing that would go unremarked one place is big news another place. I live about 15 miles from the epicentre of the Northridge earthquake (15 years ago in January). It was a 6.7 magnitude event (approximately 14 times the shaking of a 5.3). We had dozens of aftershocks in the 5+ range. Quakes under 5 only get mentioned on the news here if there's not much else going on, or they happen in densely populated areas. However the one in Engerland did make the news here. Since Northridge we have had one even larger quake, but it happened out in the desert beyond Palm springs, so it barely affected anyone.

I do hope the poor bloke the chimney fell on is going to be OK.

Later edit:
Actually I just realised my sums are wrong. For one thing the Engerland quake was a 4.7 not a 5.3. And I did the log thing upside down. So, the Northridge quake was *100* times stronger than the recent one in the UK.

MadPict
28-Feb-08, 20:32
I think it is the fact that only every now and again do we actually get to 'feel' these tremors in the UK. Maybe that's why our 'fiver' got coverage over there?

My brother in law used to live north of LA and I recall the first time we visited I noticed the 'child locks' on the cupboard doors and the TV and other heavy items strapped to the walls. All to stop things moving/falling over. We're not quite at that stage yet...

Poppy_88
28-Feb-08, 21:17
I'm absolutely sure i felt the earthquake in Glasgow!

it was extremely weird. i'm in a 4th floor flat..... And used to lots of noise, parties, people to and fro-ing at all hours, workmen doing repairs etc but this was really different...

Anyone else feel it in Glasvegas?

MadPict
28-Feb-08, 21:46
Being four floors up I'd expect any movement caused by the tremors to be 'amplified' - while I was aware of the earthquake sitting downstairs my wife was asleep upstairs and it woke her up. So four floors up, even as far north as Glasvegas, you may well have felt it!