PDA

View Full Version : ireland any good?

miranda
27-Feb-08, 00:24
would like some your views on where the best place to go in ireland for a holiday?
taking with me.....2 kids (11/15) .. hubby.. and dog
planning hiring a cottage for a week or so
so wheres best?
also do i take the car or hire over there?
if anyboby got good phone numbers of good accommodation send it on to me

DeHaviLand
27-Feb-08, 00:32
would like some your views on where the best place to go in ireland for a holiday?
taking with me.....2 kids (11/15) .. hubby.. and dog
planning hiring a cottage for a week or so
so wheres best?
also do i take the car or hire over there?
if anyboby got good phone numbers of good accommodation send it on to me

Take the ferry to Larne. When you get off it, take the coast road north, and work your way round as far as Limavady, in the north west. Plenty of lovely places to stop, Glenarm, Cushendall, Cushendun, bushmills distillery, giants causeway and the rope bridge. Much better in Northern Ireland than the south, IMHO.
If you dont want to travel all week, Portrush or Portstewart make tremendous places to base yourself.

helenwyler
27-Feb-08, 00:55
I think we must have been on an almost identical holiday DH:)!

I'd also recommend these places Miranda..we had a great time there:cool:.

Kevin Milkins
27-Feb-08, 01:22
Never been to the North although I have said we might.Played rugby down the south a few times and stayed in Limerick. All very friendly.The ring of Kerry very pretty.If you go down that far its better to fly to Shannon and hire a car though as its a ball ache of a drive. Its not cheap over their either so be prepared for that. Every time I have been over their it has rained as well so take a mack.
Good luck and enjoy your trip

justine
27-Feb-08, 02:55
you could travel the outskirts of northern ireland in one day..They have some beautiful castles up near Newcastle, north of belfast......Try and be careful where you go though, stay out of the flagged areas.....They will fly the tri flag, they can be funny with the brits, used to live in armagh..my brother lives in antrim, so enjoy but do be careful................

camor
27-Feb-08, 03:35
Head into the South from Derry, Inishowen in Donegal and then head west. Fly from Prestwick to Derry (Ryanair, very cheap). Hire a car, don't take your own as some of the roads are terrible. We go 4 or 5 times a year to see family, always hire.

Ancient Mariner
27-Feb-08, 14:08
Have twice been on holiday to Ireland in recent years.

Booked a cruiser on Shannon/Earne waterway and it was great. Really well organised, lots of places to stop, eat at a different pub each day.

We took the ferry to Belfast/Larne and drove.

One time we stayed around the border, crossing between north and south on a regular basis, then next time we went south.

It did not matter where you went it was all good.

After each cruise we motored around for a week, camping and did both north and south. Again it was great.

Just had a week in Cork, work.

The south is quite expensive so give some thought to that.

One big benefit - they speak nearly the same language, so no problems there.

Hope you enjoy it, we did.