PDA

View Full Version : Mars

crayola
01-Nov-05, 02:12
Did anyone else see mars tonight? It was awesome. I've never seen mars looking so round and so red. Well, it looks more orange than red, but let's not split hairs. It was awesome. It was so clear out tonight that I felt like I could reach out and touch it.

Apparently, it won't be this close again for another 13 years.

Kenn
01-Nov-05, 23:20
Just typical polished the lens on the bins after watching mars getting redder over the previous few nights and hey presto..2 nights of rain and cloud cover!

porshiepoo
02-Nov-05, 00:30
Oh poops I would have loved to have seen that. :(

Was it just around for that one night or is there a slim chance of seeing it again before it disappears for good?:(

DrSzin
02-Nov-05, 01:58
Go look out your window! Mars is high in the sky in the south right now -- well, it's just west of south, but not much.

Whoops, I'd forgotten, you have all that pollution in Caithness. You should move to the big city, it's been crystal clear the last two nights here. :cool:

porshiepoo
02-Nov-05, 09:49
Tsk tsk Dr Szin!
And I did look and couldn't see anything.

north_skye
02-Nov-05, 14:03
Mars was at it's absolute closet last year but is still extremly visible in the sky and has been for well over 2 weeks now ( on clear nights ) it still has an redy glow and looks impressive through a good set of binoculars.:rolleyes:

porshiepoo
02-Nov-05, 14:38
Can someone tell me exactly where to look please
And will it be obvious and not just look like a star?

north_skye
02-Nov-05, 15:47
Check this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/myspace/nightsky/observingnotes.shtml

porshiepoo
02-Nov-05, 19:35
North Skye, thank you for that link.
What a fantastic site, I've added it to my favourites so I can keep up to date with whats going on up there.
I have my printed out map of the sky, but alas, thers too much cloud and I can't see a thing.:(