PDA

View Full Version : wind turbines start up,

silverfox57
26-Feb-08, 14:24
hi the three turbines at bilbster have just been switch on this morning,first to happen was all the birds,are gone? hope they just where scared off and will be back, seems very quiet in woods , :~(

badger
26-Feb-08, 16:05
That's interesting - wondered how long it would be before they started turning. Now I wonder how long it will be before they get some little friends, which I've heard is very likely.

Highland Laddie
26-Feb-08, 16:50
That's interesting - wondered how long it would be before they started turning. Now I wonder how long it will be before they get some little friends, which I've heard is very likely.

Give them a chance Badger, they've only just got to know each other, and your expecting little ones already.:eek:

olivia
26-Feb-08, 17:52
Give them a chance Badger, they've only just got to know each other, and your expecting little ones already.:eek:
I've heard they are expecting sextuplets.

Geo
26-Feb-08, 18:14
Starting and stopping. Wonder are they testing/fine tuning?

olivia
26-Feb-08, 19:24
When they get going properly, let us know Silverfox if they are noisy.

silverfox57
26-Feb-08, 20:47
When they get going properly, let us know Silverfox if they are noisy.
will be right on it, if they make any noise will soon make a noise myself.:mad:

Kevin Milkins
26-Feb-08, 20:49
I understand wind power is a very emotive issue in these parts.

As yet I have not got close and touchy with one,but would like to so I can have a more informed opinion of them.

Tilter
26-Feb-08, 21:48
Surely it's too windy for them to operate right now. It's blowing a hoolie over here (about 7 or 8 miles away I think).

Rheghead
26-Feb-08, 21:52
Surely it's too windy for them to operate right now. It's blowing a hoolie over here (about 7 or 8 miles away I think).

I think the cut-out speed is around 56mph. I don't think we are quite up to that tonight.

Tilter
26-Feb-08, 22:05
I think the cut-out speed is around 56mph. I don't think we are quite up to that tonight.

How exactly are turbines shut down? Does someone in Denmark look at the wind charts and say, "oh Caithness is showing a windspeed of xxx mph tonight - let's shut down." Or do the turbines sense the speed themselves and automatically shut down? And if so, are they sensitive to gusts much higher than the average windspeed at that particular time and take the gusts as their reason for shutting down?

Sorry to pose the question so naively. In a hurry.

ywindythesecond
26-Feb-08, 22:36
How exactly are turbines shut down? Does someone in Denmark look at the wind charts and say, "oh Caithness is showing a windspeed of xxx mph tonight - let's shut down." Or do the turbines sense the speed themselves and automatically shut down? And if so, are they sensitive to gusts much higher than the average windspeed at that particular time and take the gusts as their reason for shutting down?

Sorry to pose the question so naively. In a hurry.

According to the very pleasant young man who works on the Causeymire and who showed a group of windies and archaeologists round a turbine a year or two ago, the wind speeds are monitored from Denmark, but they are only sampled every 15 minutes, so they don't sample gusts unless one happens to be in force at the time. And he also said that it would not be shut down on the strength of a single gust. Cant remember how many would be needed.
ywy2

JAWS
26-Feb-08, 22:57
They are expert at controlling Turbines in Denmark and here is a report which confirms it.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/ukcorrespondents/weirdwiredweb/february2008/windfarm.htm

The report is about one of two Wind Turbines, less than ten years old, which have done the same thing within the last week alone.
The film clips make interesting viewing, especially in view of the conditions in the Highlands on the odd occasion.
Bear in mind the fact that the one in the clip is, if I remember correctly, nowhere near as large as some they are planning for here.

rupert
27-Feb-08, 00:05
hi the three turbines at bilbster have just been switch on this morning,first to happen was all the birds,are gone? hope they just where scared off and will be back, seems very quiet in woods , :~(
Worrying about the birds, Silverfox. Also do you have bats there as there seems to be growing evidence that bats are getting minced by turbines?

plank
27-Feb-08, 17:53
2 Turning 1 watching[disgust]

Better than the council though, normally one working two supervising:Razz

badger
27-Feb-08, 18:33

Was tempted to say babies but chose friends as I don't think (???) they start small and grow. Multiply - yes. Grow - no. On the other hand, they have known each other for a while now and I suppose they might have wanted something to do instead of just standing around. Must have been pretty boring. And it's nearly spring.