PDA

View Full Version : big metal balls

router
26-Feb-08, 00:05
yesterday myself and my oh went for a drive up to Dunnet head and i noticed on the the way back at a couple of run down buildings what looked like rusty brown metal balls these were differant sizes about say 12inches to about 2 foot,does anyone know what these are?are they buoys of some type or something to do with fishing?

Kevin Milkins
26-Feb-08, 00:46
I went out their for a ride out and came back through Skirza, Didnt see any rusty balls though. We did however enjoy our ride out.

MadPict
26-Feb-08, 00:48
Old net floats?....

router
26-Feb-08, 01:25
well that's what i thought they appear to have a hole through the middle for a rope or the like.........

router
26-Feb-08, 01:32
I went out their for a ride out and came back through Skirza, Didnt see any rusty balls though. We did however enjoy our ride out.
we had a good day out too,,,coutryside and coast line is amazing,,finished with a meal at the school house restaurant in john o'groats...mmmmmmmmmm! lovely

Riffman
26-Feb-08, 14:01
Could be signalling balls that might have been used at airfields or lighthouses.

Winch em up and down a mast.

r.rackstraw
26-Feb-08, 23:05
Probably fishing gear - bobbins from the groundrope of a bottom trawl. They roll along the seabed as the trawl is dragged.

router
26-Feb-08, 23:44
Probably fishing gear - bobbins from the groundrope of a bottom trawl. They roll along the seabed as the trawl is dragged.
bang on, cheers for that ,,it's exactly what they are.put steel bobbins in search engine found company that sells them....