PDA

View Full Version : Air guns, Ban or license them???

Rie
25-Feb-08, 19:57
Hi, after a good discussion late last night, i was just wondering what other peoples views were on air riffles?
They have recently changed the law so you have to be 18 to own one now instead of 14, but personaly i dont think this is good enough.
I dont want to see a ban on air riffles,as responsible people like myself and my son would loose out, but would happily go through a licensing process like you do for other shot guns and fire arms.
So what do you think???

justine
25-Feb-08, 20:02
Putting a licence on them would be a great idea, although not all would get one.....I have no problems with guns as such and am a very capable shooter(ex Military), and the harm that can be done by an air rifle can be devastating, as we only have to read the news to know..
But like most things whether there is a liscence or not people will abuse the system.....
Put a gun in capable hands accidents are low, put them in the hands of a numpty, all hell breaks out....

Although raising the age limit was a good start, i cant see what else except a full ban would work...Sad but true..........:Razz

Highland Laddie
25-Feb-08, 20:03
Don't see a problem with that.
I've owned air rifles since i was 12, also cartridge target rifles,
four/ten shotgun, 12 bore and for a short time a four bore. :eek:

Rie
25-Feb-08, 20:07
i think a ban would just push the problem more under ground, when you ban some thing it instantly becomes desirable to all the wrong people as the "cool" thing to have, in this ever increasingly violent world.

Riffman
25-Feb-08, 20:07
The sad thing is that most accidents involving airguns are preventable.

Most people have a basic grasp of the law, but there is always a minority who will abuse them.

That unfourtunately tends to get disproportionate media coverage. And then you end up with people who have never even shot an airgun calling for a ban.

golach
25-Feb-08, 20:15
That unfourtunately tends to get disproportionate media coverage. And then you end up with people who have never even shot an airgun calling for a ban.
I have fired a few types of small arms in my time, and I would definitely ban all Air guns. I see no need for them in society. I would also make the ownership of all firearms much more restrictive.
I do not include the people that have legitimate reasons for the use of firearms such as farmers, gamekeepers, and any other such as those, but for the general public to have firearms then....I say no way.

octane
25-Feb-08, 20:42
As an avid shooter of rifles Im saddened at how hundreds of thousands of genuine enthusiasts and sportman in the UK are being tarred by the gun-ho/irresponsable tag and should be punished because of idiots abusing our sport.

To tighten things up I personally think all rifles/etc should warrant a FAC (Firearms Certificate) and should be graded depending on its power levels and an appropiate cert given to the owner.

Ive said this many times to people but anything can be a weapon in the most stupidest hands and nothing we can do will change that.

Joyriders mame or kill people -- lets ban automobiles

knives or kitchen utensils are used by idiots to stab/slash people -- lets ban them too then

The list can go on and on and silly as it may sound the outcome of these things in the wrong hands is still the same.

So why dont all the people against this awesome sport channel all there energy into banning idiots/neds/irresponsible people from life in general and leave us to enjoy our pastime.

Anyway just a quick thought from myself as its Small Bore Rifle Shooting tonight so I better go.

golach
25-Feb-08, 20:45
Joyriders mame or kill people -- lets ban automobiles

knives or kitchen utensils are used by idiots to stab/slash people -- lets ban them too then

The list can go on and on and silly as it may sound the outcome of these things in the wrong hands is still the same.

So why dont all the people against this awesome sport channel all there energy into banning idiots/neds/irresponsible people from life in general and leave us to enjoy our pastime.

Lets ban all tobacco sales too then Octane, Tobacco kills

northener
25-Feb-08, 21:01
One of the biggest stumbling blocks to legislation to ban or licence Air Weapons is the fact that there are thousands of guns that have already been legitimately bought over the years (probably hundreds of thousands).

To expect all these to be surrendered by those not wishing hand in their guns would be wishful thinking indeed. The same problem would be encountered with any licencing legislation. Those most likely to abuse the system would be those least likely to volounteer the information that they own these weapons.

As usual, this would only cause problems for legitimate, law abiding citizens.

A start could be made by stopping imports of 'soft air' replica weapons. These invariably are very realistic copies of FAC weapons and I believe, are causing a lot of problems for this reason. I had a look at a friends HK 'soft air' rifle last summer. It looked and felt like the real thing. NOT a good idea to let spotty teenage neds get their hands on them.

Our wonderful ex SSP media personality Mr Tommy Sheridan has jumped on the 'ban airguns' bandwagon. Another example of someone who knows nothing on a subject spouting off to get 'knee jerk' political exposure.

Riffman
25-Feb-08, 21:08
A start could be made by stopping imports of 'soft air' replica weapons. These invariably are very realistic copies of FAC weapons and I believe, are causing a lot of problems for this reason. I had a look at a friends HK 'soft air' rifle last summer. It looked and felt like the real thing. NOT a good idea to let spotty teenage neds get their hands on them.

They already have mate. VCR act 2007. Now it is officially harder to buy a plastic M16 than it is to buy a shotgun.

karia
25-Feb-08, 21:17
My father has a lifetime collection of antique pistols..where does he stand?:confused

Riffman
25-Feb-08, 21:35
If they are truely antique then they are exempt from licence in most cases.

Check the document for full details (big PDF)

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-and-publications/publication/operational-policing/HO-Firearms-Guidance.pdf?view=Binary

Whitewater
25-Feb-08, 22:32
Any type of gun is safe in the hands of responsible and sensible adults. Unfortunately there are too many idiots around who think they are back in the wild west and take pot shots dogs and cats no matter where they are, they do not think where the pellet or bullet is going to end up when they miss. You only need to look at the number of children in prams and toddlers who have been shot by accident. Guns are available too easily now, if you know the right people you can get anything you want, no questions asked, all you need is the cash.

A license is a good enough idea for air guns, unfortunately it will only be the responsible people who will apply for one. Looking at it that way it is a waste of time. It is not the responsible people who will cause the problems.

karia
25-Feb-08, 23:12
#
If they are truely antique then they are exempt from licence in most cases.

Check the document for full details (big PDF)

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-and-publications/publication/operational-policing/HO-Firearms-Guidance.pdf?view=Binary (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-and-publications/publication/operational-policing/HO-Firearms-Guidance.pdf?view=Binary)

Thanks Riffman.:)

johno
26-Feb-08, 00:02
ive had all types of gun,s hunting rifles, shotgun,s etc,. woke up one morning & decided to give it all up. decided id rather have shot these beautiful bird,s & animals with a camera . sold the lot surrendered the licenses & permits. See no harm in owning any type of firearm as you,r vetted by the police first
but the oddball can slip through, but i do think that air rifle,s aught to be licensed to perhaps,s at least over 18,s maybe even 21,s.

MadPict
26-Feb-08, 00:03

Further to the reply by Riffman these imitation weapons can now only be purchased if you are a member of a recognised airsoft club. Also the sport of airsoft skirmishing has been exempted (http://www.ai-mag.com/vcr.html) (or is in the process of exemption) from falling under the VCR Bill...

RIF/IF explanation - http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/gun.asp?page=airsoftshop2

TBH
26-Feb-08, 00:07
My father has a lifetime collection of antique pistols..where does he stand?:confusedFarever he is standin' at that particular time.

karia
26-Feb-08, 00:10
Farever he is standin' at that particular time.

Very quick on the draw!;)

TBH
26-Feb-08, 00:16
Very quick on the draw!;)At first I thought if he was in his own hoose he could stand where he liked but I missed the opportunity.[lol]

trix
26-Feb-08, 00:17
one o' ma mental case ex boyfriends shot me on 'e leig wi a pellet gun :eek:

they should be banned :lol:

TBH
26-Feb-08, 00:21
I think they should ban spud guns to, a hit from these wee beauties can give you a nasty bruise possibly causing a blood clot.:(

MadPict
26-Feb-08, 00:45
Ban bows and arrows too. And rubber bands - can put your eye out with no problems. Peashooters too - them dried peas sting like billy-oh....

Ban everything!!!!

Ban Ban Ban Ban Ban Ban Ban Ban Wonderful Ban, Wonderful Ban.......

router
26-Feb-08, 01:11
Ban bows and arrows too. And rubber bands - can put your eye out with no problems. Peashooters too - them dried peas sting like billy-oh....

Ban everything!!!!

Ban Ban Ban Ban Ban Ban Ban Ban Wonderful Ban, Wonderful Ban.......
good one :lol:
but seriously, maybe they should just restrict new sales to over 21's with the same regulations and licencing as firearms ie small bore rifles, shot guns ect not forgetting amunition (its simple to make a gun if you have shells slugs or pellets to put in it ,these arn't so easy to make your self) making the possession of any other air gun/rifle illegal unless licences are sought....regular armictices may help the problem of unliceced weapons still in circulation......but unfortunetly if someone wants a weapon bad enough they'll find one, make one or smuggle one....like everything that we try to control....they will always be a back door and a way out...

hotrod4
26-Feb-08, 07:03
They should be licenced and only available to people who are weapon trained.
If they held a short test and then awarded a licence if you pass, i'e understanding safety, proving it wont be mis-used, no criminal record, etc etc.

I am sure anyone else on here who has had weapon training will understand what I am on about as you are trained to respect the weapon and use extreme caution in its use.
After all weapons can kill and you should know how to use it correctly and safely.

Riffman
26-Feb-08, 13:59
Well in that case Tesco had better start offering courses in kitchen knife handling and safety. More people are killed with kitchen knives each year than airguns.