PDA

View Full Version : French lessons...

percy toboggan
25-Feb-08, 18:18
those of a certain age will recall this euphemism from decades past - it meant something rather saucy in days of yore.

A more respectable platform for my post....I'm currently tryin' to learn the French language ahead of my third visit in May. I've always felt rather inadequate (not for the first itme) in the past, and have resolved to improve my hitherto pathetic grasp of the language. On our last motorcyle jaunt to Gaul we ended up eating in, or at MacDonald's simply because menus baffled us. I never , ever, feel quite so 'abroad' as when I visit France...maybe that's why I'm drawn to it.

Not for the first time my essential 'Daily Mail' has come up trumps*, and two c.d.'s I was freely given a couple of years ago have latterly wormed their way into my car and cab. It's very stimulating - learning. I seem to be grasping the concept quite well....sadly however my collection only extends to two of the nine c.d.'s. So I'm currently scanning e.bay....my search may well be fruitful.

(*I wonder what the French is for trump? )

Is anyone here bi-lingual?...or even semi-fluent ? I just want to be able to convey the basics but I'm so enjoying myself I'm minded to press on with this....I can still remember much of the German I memorised at school. I got a miserable grade 3 at C.S.E. but the class was taken by a poor, weak teacher and I'm afraid I messed about too much - cheek mostly. So much so, the man hit me over the head with me text book and also kicked me when I mocked his footwear(hush-puppies). It wouldn't happen today - more's the pity....never did me any ha....;)

Angela
25-Feb-08, 18:36
Percy, do you perhaps belong to your local freecycle group? You might find someone there with the missing CDs that no longer has a use for them. Our local group is very good for this kind of thing.

Are you also looking for recommendations for other CDs, e.g. the Teach Yourself series?

I do speak fairly fluent French- I used to be bi-lingual, but it's suffering a bit from lack of use -and I'm sure there are other Orgers who do too. I've never taught French though...and anyway I'm maybe a wee bit far away to offer you French lessons....?! [lol] ;)

percy toboggan
25-Feb-08, 18:56
I discontinued the freecycle thing...but you're right it might have come in handy.

I've also bought a PC world cd rom with interactive pronunciation analysis and other stuff - currently I'm at 'kids level'

I congratulate you on your mastery of a foreign tongue. One of the world's great languages...one of the worlds greatest peoples.
(I'm a fan of revolutions you see) ;-)

helenwyler
25-Feb-08, 19:08
Ooh Percy, don't tempt me[lol]! I used to teach French in another life. I'm a strict disciplinarian and would have you rolling your arrrs in no time!

I'm currently unavailable though, so I advise you to stick to the software, and practise shrugging your shoulders nonchalantly in front of a mirror whilst saying "Boeuf!"

Good Luck:cool:!

percy toboggan
13-Mar-08, 20:17
...to the many dozens of you who have wished me well in this.:lol:

It's going rather well....I know more French , after just five weeks than I knew German after about four years at school.

I've rediscovered the font of knowledge and I'm slurping like a good un.

Merci Bien