PDA

View Full Version : SPEEDING/Now this is an idea

Kevin Milkins
25-Feb-08, 18:07
I have a friend who is a busy mother and a GP in Shropshire that has been nicked twice for speeding and is very upset about breaking the law. She tells me that she finds it differcult to concentrate on what the speed limit should be and drive safly paticuarly when the kids are having a fight in the back.
I myself ,as same as many others have to wait for the next sign to remind me what speed I should be doing.
THE IDEA. The common denominator on most roads are road markings.So if all road markings in a 30 limit was yellow and all in a 40 were blue and 50 were red 60 were green and all others white for instance you could concentrate on safe speed driving and not looking around for the next sign or speed camera.
I know idea will need tweeking and fazed in as and when road lines need painting But I think it could save many responsible people from getting nicked and the boy racers would have on excuse.
Any takers

Penelope Pitstop
25-Feb-08, 18:10
I have a friend who is a busy mother and a GP in Shropshire that has been nicked twice for speeding and is very upset about breaking the law. She tells me that she finds it differcult to concentrate on what the speed limit should be and drive safly paticuarly when the kids are having a fight in the back.
I myself ,as same as many others have to wait for the next sign to remind me what speed I should be doing.
THE IDEA. The common denominator on most roads are road markings.So if all road markings in a 30 limit was yellow and all in a 40 were blue and 50 were red 60 were green and all others white for instance you could concentrate on safe speed driving and not looking around for the next sign or speed camera.
I know idea will need tweeking and fazed in as and when road lines need painting But I think it could save many responsible people from getting nicked and the boy racers would have on excuse.
Any takers

What if you are colour blind?

Sapphire2803
25-Feb-08, 18:12
Eek! You need to refresh your memory on the highway code. ;)
A driving examiner would have a heart attack if they read that :lol:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070202

Riffman
25-Feb-08, 18:27
If they can't keep to the speed limit, then the GP deserves the tickets.

Its quite simple, you can only get a ticket for speeding.

If they can't concentrate on keeping a safe speed, then they should not be driving. It is not hard to keep an eye on the speedometer.

It is the drivers responsibility to keep within the set speet limits. And a condition of their licence.

Highland Laddie
25-Feb-08, 18:35
Eek! You need to refresh your memory on the highway code. ;)
A driving examiner would have a heart attack if they read that :lol:

How about some kind of gizmo receiver fitted to all cars,
with the speed signs with some gizmo sender
so the speed sign tells the gizmo on the car and the car automatically slows down, and when you leave the speed restricted area, it resets the gizmo.

as you'll have noticed, I'm very technically minded.

Sapphire2803
25-Feb-08, 18:38
How about some kind of gizmo receiver fitted to all cars,
with the speed signs with some gizmo sender
so the speed sign tells the gizmo on the car and the car automatically slows down, and when you leave the speed restricted area, it resets the gizmo.

as you'll have noticed, I'm very technically minded.

There's already a design where, if you stray out of your lane the driver's seat vibrates. They could adapt that for the job.

I await comments on that one boys! ;)

Highland Laddie
25-Feb-08, 18:41
There's already a design where, if you stray out of your lane the driver's seat vibrates. They could adapt that for the job.

Not even going to go there Sapphire ;)

George Brims
25-Feb-08, 18:55
If they can't concentrate on keeping a safe speed, then they should not be driving. It is not hard to keep an eye on the speedometer.

Exactly. I got a speeding ticket last year, and it wasn't because I was desperately trying to get somewhere in a hurry. It was because I was tired and distracted and I let my speed drift up on a long downhill stretch of road because *I wasn't concentrating properly*. I know my concentration was off because I didn't spot the Highway Patrol car (large and black/white) sitting in the open in the central reservation for all to see, until I was far too close to slow down and avoid the ticket.

Who knows, maybe that officer saved me from an accident further down the road.

Kevin Milkins
25-Feb-08, 18:58

It is the drivers responsibility to keep within the set speet limits. And a condition of their licence.

thats exacly the point I am trying to make.

Its not driving at a safe speed is the problem its knowing at all times what speed you should be doing without having to look around for signs

johno
25-Feb-08, 19:02
not the cheapest option ,but get a wife. works most of the time.??/:roll: :lol:

Riffman
25-Feb-08, 19:04
Well wake up and look for them.

If in doubt slow down to 30.

Its fairly easy to tell what the limit it. If it has street lights and no speed signs then it is 30mph most of the time.

Kevin Milkins
25-Feb-08, 19:11
not the cheapest option ,but get a wife. works most of the time.??/:roll: :lol:

Nice one johno. LOL
Its good to see that sort of humor out there

Julia
25-Feb-08, 19:31

I saw that too, it was on Top Gear last week, great idea but they ribbed it to bits!

justine
25-Feb-08, 19:33

well said and as a saver of lives putting her own childrens lives at risk is some what hypocritical,( yes its word of the month.....):lol:

But rightly so, should she speed then she should pay..She should know better than that..............

northener
25-Feb-08, 19:54
thats exacly the point I am trying to make.

Its not driving at a safe speed is the problem its knowing at all times what speed you should be doing without having to look around for signs

Kev, the information is there. Always obey the last sign - if you didn't see the last sign (why? - because you weren't looking!) then no colour scheme on the planet will help you.

I drive down south on 1200 mile round trips on a fairly regular basis and have never had a problem knowing what the limit is.

If your friend can't be arsed to work it out - tough:D

Kevin Milkins
25-Feb-08, 20:27
I think I may need to give this idea some carefull thought before I take it on the Dragons Den looking for finance.I can understand how my friend has fallen foul of the law and I am supprised I have never been done because I often loose track of what speed I should be doing. I read an article once of a sales rep who made it his dream to own a MGB GT and have a driving holiday from his home in London and travell down to North Wales and back on a driving holiday. He reported when he achieved his ambition of driving with the roof down Etc was spoiled buy the fact that he was that woried trying to keep his eye on the spedo and what speed he should be doing and speed camara,s he saw very little of the beutyfull country side. He reported that it was a massive dissapointment to him and promply sold his dream car.I must admit I do find it hard to be perfect all the time.

northener
25-Feb-08, 20:46
I think I may need to give this idea some carefull thought before I take it on the Dragons Den looking for finance.I can understand how my friend has fallen foul of the law and I am supprised I have never been done because I often loose track of what speed I should be doing. I read an article once of a sales rep who made it his dream to own a MGB GT and have a driving holiday from his home in London and travell down to North Wales and back on a driving holiday. He reported when he achieved his ambition of driving with the roof down Etc was spoiled buy the fact that he was that woried trying to keep his eye on the spedo and what speed he should be doing and speed camara,s he saw very little of the beutyfull country side. He reported that it was a massive dissapointment to him and promply sold his dream car.I must admit I do find it hard to be perfect all the time.

Apologies, I never commented on your idea Kevin, I hope my post didn't come across as trying to shoot you down.

Although at first your idea seems sound, it falls down on the fact that the signs on the road and road markings have to be capable of being interpreted by all.

As Penelope P pointed out, your idea would not be of any help to those who have difficulty with colour.

If you look at any of the signs that warn or give orders, you will notice that the colour is backed up with a shape to help differentiate between warning and orders. The only way around this would be to paint the speed limit, at intervals, all the way down the road. Which, I think, would be prohibitively expensive apart from on roads where an unusual speed limit applies.

At the end of the day Kevin, there are millions of motorists who never fall foul of the speeding law, because they remain alert and assess the road they are on at all times. To blame a lack of signage is, generally, more to do with a lack of awareness or, sadly, an attitude of indifference to the rules - until they are caught out.

As for the sales bod with the MG, that's the sort of arrogant 'don't blame me' attitude that gets people killed. If he wanted to go sightseeing, he should have got someone else to drive. No sympathy.

dook
25-Feb-08, 20:51

Don't we have that. I'm sure they call it "Cats eyes". Wakes me up every time......

Boozeburglar
25-Feb-08, 20:57
Johno, I have been nabbed for speeding twice, and BOTH times it was because of the wife!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:)

Bobinovich
25-Feb-08, 20:57
Can some GPS systems not be set to give audible warnings if you stray above the speed limit? That would make for a relatively inexpensive purchase of existing technology which should do the job.

Boozeburglar
25-Feb-08, 20:59
They do indeed.

Sapphire2803
25-Feb-08, 21:04
Yep, my sat nav moos at me :roll:
You should see people's faces when they don't know about it :lol:

Kevin Milkins
25-Feb-08, 21:49
That sounds like a good comprimise if that technoligy is available.

I have not yet been in a car with sat nav, but I have heard talk of it.

I think I am behind the times a bit as my computer workes on gas.:lol:

ett23
25-Feb-08, 22:05
Exactly. I got a speeding ticket last year, and it wasn't because I was desperately trying to get somewhere in a hurry. It was because I was tired and distracted and I let my speed drift up on a long downhill stretch of road because *I wasn't concentrating properly*. I know my concentration was off because I didn't spot the Highway Patrol car (large and black/white) sitting in the open in the central reservation for all to see, until I was far too close to slow down and avoid the ticket.

Who knows, maybe that officer saved me from an accident further down the road.

Good for you George - I hear of so many people complaining about the pettiness of having a speeding ticket/fine - it makes a nice change to hear someone who has learned from it and moved on!;) I think the speed limit is there for a reason - our safety and other road users. Disobey it and you are endangering lives, which is why you can be fined and given points for doing so!!

Ha ha dook - I was thinking of cat's eyes too, they always wake me up if I cross the middle line!!!:lol:

DeHaviLand
25-Feb-08, 22:19

Sorry, but if you're driving, you should'nt even notice if the countryside is beautiful or not. Sightseeing and driving are ok, but individually, not at the same time.

ywindythesecond
25-Feb-08, 22:27
Can some GPS systems not be set to give audible warnings if you stray above the speed limit? That would make for a relatively inexpensive purchase of existing technology which should do the job.

Someone mentioned taking responsibility for your own actions earlier in this thread.

If you go over the speed limit, it is your fault, and it is often your conscious decision.

I am no different from anyone else.

There is nobody to blame but yourself. Nobody else is responsible for your actions.

johno
25-Feb-08, 23:23
Johno, I have been nabbed for speeding twice, and BOTH times it was because of the wife!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

hi, ive been done 6 times , :eek:( over a long period) & never been done once when the backseat driver was with me. :confused

johno
25-Feb-08, 23:29
aye , your quite right bobo ,i have sat nav in my car & its set to warn you if you stray over the limit on any road, of bus lanes etc. great thing,s they are. would,nt be without it now.:cool:

George Brims
25-Feb-08, 23:33
I was thinking of cat's eyes too, they always wake me up if I cross the middle line!!!:lol:

Here in the US a lot of the white lines have these ceramic/plastic button things which tell you when you are straying into the other lane. Of course in areas/states that have snow they don't have them, and the cats eyes are the kind that are buried in a dip so the snowplough doesn't rip them off. Also a lot of roads have "rumble strips" that alert you when you stray off the edge. The strips are just like caterpillar tractor tracks in the asphalt, and they make quite a loud noise when you run over them.

DeHaviLand
25-Feb-08, 23:34
And theres the problem with sat-nav, people come to rely on them rather than use common sense:(. Its driving folks, not a computer game:roll:

johno
26-Feb-08, 00:14
And theres the problem with sat-nav, people come to rely on them rather than use common sense:(. Its driving folks, not a computer game:roll:
Cant say i agree with you there. I used to find myself straying over the limit just by a few mph , it,s easy done with these modern cars , your looking for a sign or a sliproad or the sheer monotony of a long journey. nowadays there is very little tolerance ,just over will now land you in court.
if the technology is there , then i shall use it.
and believe me it,s a boon if you,r in a strange place, like say Glasgow or Edinburgh or p,hap,s London.it,ll get you there . The day,s of parking up and looking at map,s or asking people for direction,s , Well im damned glad that,s over.

DeHaviLand
26-Feb-08, 00:30
Cant say i agree with you there. I used to find myself straying over the limit just by a few mph , it,s easy done with these modern cars , your looking for a sign or a sliproad or the sheer monotony of a long journey. nowadays there is very little tolerance ,just over will now land you in court.
and believe me it,s a boon if you,r in a strange place, like say Glasgow or Edinburgh or p,hap,s London.it,ll get you there . The day,s of parking up and looking at map,s or asking people for direction,s , Well im damned glad that,s over.

Just over will not land you in court. What will land you in court is 10% plus 4 mph. So for 30 limit, its 37mph before you get done. 50 limit is 59mph.

Kevin Milkins
26-Feb-08, 00:38

Thank you johno
Having started this thread it was getting a very lonley place to be.

Geo
26-Feb-08, 00:45

They are only as good as the information provided for them though. TomTom often gets the speed limits wrong when I use it for trips south so it's better to try and make sure you don't miss the road signs.

hotrod4
26-Feb-08, 08:34
I have the perfect solution buy my car !!!!
Seriously it take so long to get to 30 and struggles to get near 60 that it is very safe, you can put your feet to the floor, shout,scream,kick,punch,call it names etc but it does its own thing and chugs along that by the time I do hit 60 I'm coming into Inverness, so I have never broken the limit!!!!!.
Funnily it slows down brilliantly ;)
Oh the car its a ...........................?

johno
26-Feb-08, 09:31
Just over will not land you in court. What will land you in court is 10% plus 4 mph. So for 30 limit, its 37mph before you get done. 50 limit is 59mph.
Well. that may be, but im sure that i read somewhere that the police have lowered the tolerance level to just a few, i/e one or so mph.
in any case the sat nav although not infallible is a great invention an i for one would,nt be without one. And in modern car,s it is easy to slip over the limit, my own car is not a particulary fast model yet it will do 125 mph if it wanted to & at 60,70 or 80 you would think your travelling at about 20mph to 30mph less especially on motoway,s.

badger
26-Feb-08, 16:20
It really isn't that difficult to glance at the speedo occasionally and takes a fraction of a second. It should also be fairly easy to keep to the speed limit in Caithness (although you wouldn't think so - don't think I've been out once without someone speeding past me) - as someone said earlier, built up areas are 30, near schools have very short restricted areas of 20, many villages are 40 but clearly marked before and after, everywhere else is 60 - even when overtaking (which I didn't realise until recently). Many people think it's OK to go over 60 to overtake but it's not.

It shouldn't really be so hard anywhere - the last speed indicator applies until the next one and if you miss one presumably you're not paying attention. So sorry, no sympathy for the GP especially with children in the car.

brandy
26-Feb-08, 16:44
what i always find dif. is when i m on the motorway driving along keeping up with traffic.. (not passing mind you) and find my self glancing down at the speedo. to find im hitting 90! and think oh crap!! and then trying to slow down when all the cars in front of you behind you and to the side of you are still going as fast or faster!

johno
26-Feb-08, 17:55
what i always find dif. is when i m on the motorway driving along keeping up with traffic.. (not passing mind you) and find my self glancing down at the speedo. to find im hitting 90! and think oh crap!! and then trying to slow down when all the cars in front of you behind you and to the side of you are still going as fast or faster!
Well said Brandy, what ive been saying all along, On a long monotonous journey it,s easily done. any way in this modern age of modern cars the limit aught to be lifted to 80 mph. if i remember correctly it was imposed in the fuel energy crisis.

Kevin Milkins
26-Feb-08, 19:23
Ok, although I feel shot to bits on this one, I do respect other peoples opinions and I am supprised that more people have not had the same problem. What if I ammend my first proposal and say we just have all road markings in a 30 MPH area yellow phased in as and when they need Re-painting?

Still strugling with spelling.

Highland Laddie
26-Feb-08, 19:26
Ok, although I feel shot to bits on this one, I do respect other peoples opinions and I am supprised that more people have not had the same problem. What if I ammend my first proposal and say we just have all road markings in a 30 MPH area yellow phased in as and when they need Re-painting?

Still strugling with spelling.

Don't worry about the spelling,
I'm more worried about all these different coloured signs, as someone mentioned before what if your colour blind (which i am) :confused

Kevin Milkins
26-Feb-08, 19:43
Don't worry about the spelling,
I'm more worried about all these different coloured signs, as someone mentioned before what if your colour blind (which i am) :confused

No you misunderstand, Its not the signs that are coloured its the road markings. And its my opinion that if you have to have road markings to mark the middle of the road or Junction ETC would it not be a good idea for them to serve a dual purpose. To indicate by colour the speed in that area and also there first intended use as a road marking. Yes of course colour blindness may course an issue ,but does it not with driving anyway. How many people that drive are colour blind?

NickInTheNorth
26-Feb-08, 19:44
Hi Kevin

30mph limit is easy. Are there street lights. Yes, then it's 30 unless there are signs saying otherwise.

No street lights and 30mph limit then there are repeater signs.

No excuses for speeding, it is a major part of driver awareness, and if a driver is not aware of either the rules regarding speed limits, or how to tell what the limit is then they have no business driving.

Kevin Milkins
26-Feb-08, 20:28
Hi Kevin

30mph limit is easy. Are there street lights. Yes, then it's 30 unless there are signs saying otherwise.

No street lights and 30mph limit then there are repeater signs.

No excuses for speeding, it is a major part of driver awareness, and if a driver is not aware of either the rules regarding speed limits, or how to tell what the limit is then they have no business driving.

I think I must be comunicating in DAI LINGuAL again .I agree there is no excuse for speeding, at least forgive me for thinking outside the box when all I am trying to promote is a new Idea that cost nothing that will make it easier for every driver to cross reference between speed and location. In fact could save money in the long run because if succesfull you would have no need for signs

NickInTheNorth
26-Feb-08, 20:34
I think I must be comunicating in DAI LINGuAL again .I agree there is no excuse for speeding, at least forgive me for thinking outside the box when all I am trying to promote is a new Idea that cost nothing that will make it easier for every driver to cross reference between speed and location. In fact could save money in the long run because if succesfull you would have no need for signs

There will always be a need for signs, to mark the different speed limits. Lines wear away. Roads get dug up and replaced. It snows. Mud on the road.etc etc etc.

The whole point of my post was to point out that there are already perfectly good "indicators" of the speed limit, even where you cannot see an actual sign. Anyone that is driving without understanding those indicators should not have passed their test, and should certainly not be driving on public roads.

I cannot see any way in which your proposal would make life easier.

brandy
26-Feb-08, 22:13
i see what you mean hun, there are a lot of roads that have no markings. i tend to just assume its 60 on an A road unless otherwise marked.
Im not a bad driver but i do speed at times. and i dont even realise im doing it, until i glance down and think oh crap!
its not easy to concentrate on everything when you have two screaming kids in the back.. trying to dodge insane drivers, people that stop suddenly, (obviously no one is taught how to signal)
but in all my years of driving and ive been driving since i was 14 years old.. i have only had one accident.. and that was nearly 3 years ago.. when we hydroplaned on wet leaved and hit a stone wall, going about 20 mph.. as it was dark, raining, and somewhere near glasgow that we didnt know the roads. i had the kids with me as we were all on our way to go to spain on holiday! that was a scary time.. and there was no speeding involved!
so you cant really say that if you speed you shouldnt have a licence, that you are an unsafe driver, ect..
what you can easily say is.. these idiots who get out here.. flying up and down the roads.. and high speeds.. not 5-10 mph over the speed limit.. (unless your in the town) that should have their presious little astra (and other boy toys) crushed before their eyes along with their mods.
could not tell you how many times ive seen them flying thru the town about 40-50 mph or getting it down the road to inverness or thurso at about 80-90 mph.. just because they can..
that is the sort of idiots to look out for.

northener
27-Feb-08, 18:46
No you misunderstand, Its not the signs that are coloured its the road markings. And its my opinion that if you have to have road markings to mark the middle of the road or Junction ETC would it not be a good idea for them to serve a dual purpose. To indicate by colour the speed in that area and also there first intended use as a road marking. Yes of course colour blindness may course an issue ,but does it not with driving anyway. How many people that drive are colour blind?

Sorry to repeat myself Kevin, but your idea won't work as it uses a colour coding system that is not backed up by shapes.

All the clues are there on the road, OK, we all may stray over the limit occasionally but technology is not the key to everything. Working on your own hazard perception and awareness skills will serve you much better.

I can recommend a couple of my ex-colleagues for further training if you feel you are not up to scratch with these skills.;)