PDA

View Full Version : Organising the org...

Sapphire2803
25-Feb-08, 13:01
Just a quick question.

The idea being, for example:
Maybe a new member hello section?
A serious discussion section?
A general chit chat section?

justine
25-Feb-08, 13:26
yes it would make more sense but would it stop people actually going on and hijacking a thread...It should not make a difference where we posts are chit chat thread as that is what general means...anything goes thread...
Thats a good name gor the general...

ciderally
25-Feb-08, 13:28
yes it would make more sense but would it stop people actually going on and hijacking a thread...It should not make a difference where we posts are chit chat thread as that is what general means...anything goes thread...
Thats a good name gor the general...

sounds good to me....

Riffman
25-Feb-08, 13:53
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2896/youeatedcookiebv0.jpg

Kitten says no change

canuck
25-Feb-08, 13:57
The General section has 17 sub-sections. If what you are suggesting is
to add to those numbers with specific themes, then I agree.

I don't think that it would be particularly helpful to sub-divide the General>general sub-section any further.

I think that some of the stickies are now permanent and perhaps should have their own sub-section. Music, Photographs, Jokes all became so popular on the General>general board that they got a sub-section of their own ie General>music.

golach
25-Feb-08, 15:16
Just a quick question.

The idea being, for example:
A general chit chat section?
I think the status quo is fine, if you see the need to "Chit Chat" then there is a chat room for that purpose, and you can set up your own private chat room the facilities are already there.
Then there will be no need for threads be they serious, frivolous to be hijacked for the purpose of post count gathering.

carasmam
25-Feb-08, 15:28
I think there are enough sub-sections as it is. General is just that - general.
But who is going to decide what chit-chat is? The mods?
What are the rules on frivolous posting and hi-jacking anyway? Better go and refresh my memory :Razz

Angela
25-Feb-08, 15:33
I don't see any advantage in dividing the general forum, though I do like the idea mentioned recently of a separate Org Days forum.

Otherwise, I enjoy both serious and lighthearted threads, depending on the subject and the mood I'm in. Of course topics do develop in different directions, sometimes in a humourous way, and I'd have thought that was surely quite natural and desirable.

I must admit though that I do feel a strong sense of frustration and irritation when jokey and totally off-topic posts keep popping up on threads where folk have been putting forward their genuine, perhaps deeply felt, opinions and trying to advance a well thought out and considered argument. :(

MadPict
25-Feb-08, 15:33
What one person may consider "chit chat" another may consider "serious".

golach
25-Feb-08, 15:37
MP, "You cannot be serious" [lol]

justine
25-Feb-08, 15:43

rightly said.................;)

honey
25-Feb-08, 15:44
MP, "You cannot be serious" [lol]

maybe we should chit chat about it a bit more :Razz

Shabbychic
25-Feb-08, 15:53
I was thinking that perhaps a TV and Film section might be an idea.

unicorn
25-Feb-08, 17:06
I think it has worked well as it has for years and shouldn't need changed just because a few people are sniping at others, the said few who are stirring should be taken to task for it.

STUDMUFFIN
25-Feb-08, 17:18
I think it has worked well as it has for years and shouldn't need changed just because a few people are sniping at others, the said few who are stirring should be taken to task for it.
BUT HAVE THEY GOT THE BALLS TO DO IT?

percy toboggan
25-Feb-08, 18:25
It's wonderful as it is but....how about a 'heavy end' or a 'local board' for matters some might consider serious, or perhaps parochial?
I'm an outsider so have no right to comment...but as we were asked.

The only thing I'd really like to see is a movie/film critique section.

Sapphire2803
25-Feb-08, 18:31
It's wonderful as it is but....how about a 'heavy end' or a 'local board' for matters some might consider serious, or perhaps parochial?
I'm an outsider so have no right to comment...but as we were asked.

As a forum member, I'd say you have as much right as anybody else.
That is the sort of thing I had in mind, it's not so much about what the actual forum needs, it's more about stopping the infantile squabbling and bullying.
There are people not posting purely because of the behaviour of a few (dare I say it?) trolls.

Heated debate is one thing, posting just to tell people how pointless their posts are is quite another.

Bobinovich
25-Feb-08, 21:05

Have you ever tried the IMDB forums Percy - http://www.imdb.com/boards/ - sounds like what you're after.

karia
25-Feb-08, 21:14
Have you ever tried the IMDB forums Percy - http://www.imdb.com/boards/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.imdb.com/boards/) - sounds like what you're after.

There are a fair few orgers there!:)

Lolabelle
26-Feb-08, 01:30
No, I think it is fine as it is.
I read what interests me and don't bother with what doesn't.
But I must say that my interest in the org has waned somewhat.
The debates and discussions used to be interesting and thought provoking, but lately they most threads in the general section are either not to my taste (of course this is fine) or have been turned into something that is not to my taste. :eek:
So I guess I just vote with my feet (or fingers), and not hang out on the org so much.
But I do keep coming in to check, just incase something interesting is happening, and to check the photography section.:D

Sapphire2803
26-Feb-08, 09:32
I think the status quo is fine, if you see the need to "Chit Chat" then there is a chat room for that purpose, and you can set up your own private chat room the facilities are already there.
Then there will be no need for threads be they serious, frivolous to be hijacked for the purpose of post count gathering.
Although flash chat is great, the beauty of a forum/message board is that you are not tied to it. You post a message, go off and sort the kids out (or whatever) then come back later to see if you have a reply. Nobody is sitting there wondering why you've stopped typing in mid sentence. You also get the chance to go off and think about what you want to say and how to word it.

Metalattakk
26-Feb-08, 11:21
You also get the chance to go off and think about what you want to say and how to word it.

That's the point, though. Very few (in my opinion) give any thought whatsoever to the content of their message, and how it will be perceived by others.

On the other hand, I would vote for things to stay the same on the .org, with only celebratory posts (org-days etc.) being hosted in their own section.

It's not the forum that's at fault, it's the users that need to cogitate just a little bit before clicking 'Submit Reply'.

oldmarine
27-Feb-08, 04:27

I agree with Golach on this one.

the charlatans
27-Feb-08, 14:19
I'd like a couple of wee extra sub-sections - mainly the 'Hello i'm new' and the 'woo i'm an ./1k/2k/whatever orger' threads.

Plus i'd like a sub-section on Craft stuff, it isn't covered by the Art sub-section, i'm talking about needlework, paperwork and all things crafty. Yes there are plenty of forums out there but it would be nice to discuss Caithness Crafty things, we've got 3 craft shops in Wick, one or 2 in Thurso and various others throughout the county. Plenty of handy hands out there.

I agree with you on the chat room being for 'chatty things' but its really only used during the later evenings which is maybe why people are 'chatting' on the forums.

good thread.

Whitewater
28-Feb-08, 00:02
I voted no. I like getting onto the org and browsing, it is sometimes surprising what you respond to. It broadens your outlook and makes you aware of other users interests and values. I think if it was split up it would become rather dull and boring.

northener
28-Feb-08, 00:09
I'm averring between Metalattak and Whitewater on this one.

I don't really see the point of any further sub-division - I think it would be counter productive - but maybe a section for 'Org-days' would be a good idea.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Feb-08, 00:38
No.The general is a place in its own.Percy's right though,a TV and Movie section would be nice,go on boys,I know ye want to.But ye are awful,copyright Dick Emery.:lol:

xx_chickie
28-Feb-08, 12:51
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2896/youeatedcookiebv0.jpg

Kitten says no change

That is so adorable! Listen to the kitten!

Tighsonas4
28-Feb-08, 20:49
good heavens who wants more forums when there is all that in there
is that used much i wonder never knew it existed tony

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Mar-08, 01:16
After these years on the org I still havnae a clue how to set up a poll.So I'll do it the auld fashioned way.Does ony aw you lot want a TV and Movies section.Aye or Naw.

golach
01-Mar-08, 01:24
After these years on the org I still havnae a clue how to set up a poll.So I'll do it the auld fashioned way.Does ony aw you lot want a TV and Movies section.Aye or Naw.
Cedric,
scroll down to the bottom of your origional post and the poll set up should be there

Moira
01-Mar-08, 01:27
Cedric, what you have suggested is already being discussed on this thread. I've merged it here.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Mar-08, 01:35
Cedric, what you have suggested is already being discussed on this thread. I've merged it here.

Cheers Moira..

TBH
01-Mar-08, 01:38
Music
television and movies
political
philosophical
pets
recipies
religious
gardening
science and technology
photography and graphic design
genealogy
literature
jokes and humour
Current affairs
Technical
Just some Ideas.:)

Moi x
01-Mar-08, 04:11
You missed out petty bickering TBH. :)

TBH
01-Mar-08, 11:46
You missed out petty bickering TBH. :)Excellent Idea.:lol:

Moi x
02-Mar-08, 00:45
I wasn't suggesting more of it. On the contrary, I'd like to sweep it all away, deep into the bowels of the Org where it could be slopped out daily.

Moi x

Ricco
02-Mar-08, 09:32
I also think things are fine as they are. PS - I get quite 'serious' about my 'chitchat', Golach. ;)