PDA

View Full Version : photographers

Ash
25-Feb-08, 11:19
i know its a while away but im getting married in 2010 and im trying to be organised, who is the best photographer to have do the pics for my wedding, but saying that i have a budget so dont want it to be to expensive... i havent a clue how much is the norm to spend

Macwull
25-Feb-08, 12:36
Were using SDM Photography for our wedding in august, we looked at a couple of others but found her to be the best price and excellent quality, we were planning on getting her higher end package and its around £1600 where the other company we looked at was £2600 for somethin similar.

Shes a really nice girl and she'l prob be at the portlands at the wedding fayre.

Ash
25-Feb-08, 23:04
i find that really expensive :eek:

cyberman
25-Feb-08, 23:35
We used Northern Imaging?

They were about £700 2 Year ago, Wasnt dear, but also wasnt that great, depends what you want from the day??

We had the most perfect day, and would love it all over again, but I would have taken another photographer.

SDM, If you contact her now she will do you engagement pictures which will show you how she works

John Baikie, good but the price more than reflects it.

Keith Parks, Seems good havent heard much about him, web page seems to have good pictures?

mums angels
25-Feb-08, 23:38
i used robbie wicks from wick he was about £350( over 4 years ago) we got colour and black and white they were very great pics and he did what we wanted etc am very happy with them .

heard and seen fantastic pics from john bakie too don't know how much he charges though .

if you go for a videoographer too i can recommend that you stay away from stuart rolllinson ( unless he's dramatically improved in last 4 years ) he was the cheapest but was obvious why afterward.

you're never too early to book i booked 18 months in advance for everything and still didn't manage to get everyone i wanted as first choice .

good luck

unicorn
25-Feb-08, 23:41
another option is to just provide everyone with disposable camera's and you will have masses of pictures. As you know it doesn't have to be professional to be beautiful, I done pics for your cousin's wedding and they turned out beautiful on the whole, even I was surprised :lol:

Ash
25-Feb-08, 23:48
another option is to just provide everyone with disposable camera's and you will have masses of pictures. As you know it doesn't have to be professional to be beautiful, I done pics for your cousin's wedding and they turned out beautiful on the whole, even I was surprised :lol:

i know they were amazing

i only want some pics for at the church but to me the above prices are ridicolous! and was planning the disposables for the dance:D

unicorn
25-Feb-08, 23:54
Just get friends out with the digitals :lol:

anneoctober
26-Feb-08, 04:44
i know its a while away but im getting married in 2010 and im trying to be organised, who is the best photographer to have do the pics for my wedding, but saying that i have a budget so dont want it to be to expensive... i havent a clue how much is the norm to spend
Maybe a pm to Raven might give you some ideas Ash. Friends wi a love of photography are excellent too ! Keep us posted !:D

Raven
26-Feb-08, 10:08

If you want the best wedding photographer.... go for John Baikie! He is the best one for the job by far, multiple award winning and most of all, he is a very nice bloke;)

@ anneoctober,

nice thought, but I dont do weddings :Razz

John Baikie
26-Feb-08, 10:59
I hope nobody minds if I say a few words on this topic! I'm not touting for business, merely wishing to offer some advice.

Choosing your wedding photographer really should be about who you think is going to do the best job on the day, and even more importantly, whose style suits the couple. The price, although important, should not be the main issue. There are a few different styles available, even locally, and although an album may look the same on the outside, the variety within that is where you need to be looking. Also, check out what you are getting for your money, not just how much you are spending, just like any other purchase. Most photographers offer engagement shoots as part of the deal. I have been offering this for several years now and is a nice little extra and a chance to get to know the photographer and how they work.

My own personal advice would be to have a budget in mind, but look at the work of the photographers and see what you like first. I suggest for something as important as a wedding that you should choose someone who is qualified, at least at the basic entry level, within a professional organisation as that will give you the security that they have been assessed by fellow professionals as being of professional standard. That narrows your choice down to two in Caithness, but there are a few good ones reasonably close to the county who travel regularly as well and provide a high standard of photography.

One big problem which seems to be happening all over the world, according to people I speak with, is the fact that the digital age, and availability of good quality digital cameras for low cost is creating thousands of 'wedding photographers' who are totally lacking in ability and experience but offer a service for a few hundred pounds. This may appeal, but there is a reason why they are so cheap. Within this group you may get lucky and find a rising star, but more often than not people are left disappointed. Just be careful with the ones at the low end of the market. Generally you get what you pay for.

You can see even on this thread that there is a huge variety in pricing just locally, with some prices quoted here causing me shock to be honest! So try to look beyond pricing and look at individual style first, then think about your budget. If you can afford to spend a little more to get what you want it is going to be worth it because the photography is going to be your lasting memories of the day.

If anyone wants to pm me or e-mail me for information on pricing or for any recommendations, please feel free to do so.

John
john@captiv8.uk.com

johnlc
26-Feb-08, 11:47
i would recommend sdm photography i used her for my wedding in september past and the pics were lovely also she is not to dear it just depends on the package you want,mines cost about £700 and got lots of photos tooken.

xxxxxxxxxx

ber219
26-Feb-08, 13:19
I am getting married on the 14th June and I am using Angus Mackay, www.angusmackay.co.uk he has agreed to do my wedding photo's which is fantastic as I work with him also and feel totally at ease and comfortable with him which is most important, his photo style is very good also, I find that photographer have good photo's but they can't capture the moment, but can assure you that Angus' photo's capture that special moment fantastically. Have a look at his website, there are not a lot of wedding photo's on there but if you contact him I am sure that he will be happy to show you his wedding shots, he does do a lot of other photograpy work which are on this website.

honey
26-Feb-08, 13:23

just what i was going to say, i was quite disappointed with my profesional photos (they are on the org wedding site, so youll probably see why) but some of my favourites were captured on the disposable cameras we left on the tables... as well as some of the weirdest!! :lol:

Ash
26-Feb-08, 13:35
thanks for all the replies, i have mailed the link you gave me ber219 thanks

ak1
26-Feb-08, 21:06
def recommend john baikie seen a lot of his work and my little girl was a flower girl at a wedding he did and he was excellent with kids lots of natural photos he might b pricey but worth it

henry20
27-Feb-08, 09:20
I can't recommend SDM photography enough. She did our wedding photos and they were lovely.

Ash, if you want to see them, give me a shout. She is really flexible and you don't have to stick to the packages she offers. You can choose exactly what you want.

The engagement photos are really worthwhile because they are so natural - also a chance for you to get some professional family shots done. I asked if it was ok for my friend and her son to come along so that they could get a photo done and it was no problem (even the dog came along).

My friends neice got married a few weeks before me and got her photos done by someone else - I got mine a long time before they did and they were disappointed with who they chose after seeing mine.

We didn't get as many photos taken as most do, but that was because I'd had enough - the photographer was more than happy to take more.

Ash
27-Feb-08, 09:28
I can't recommend SDM photography enough. She did our wedding photos and they were lovely.

Ash, if you want to see them, give me a shout. She is really flexible and you don't have to stick to the packages she offers. You can choose exactly what you want.

The engagement photos are really worthwhile because they are so natural - also a chance for you to get some professional family shots done. I asked if it was ok for my friend and her son to come along so that they could get a photo done and it was no problem (even the dog came along).

My friends neice got married a few weeks before me and got her photos done by someone else - I got mine a long time before they did and they were disappointed with who they chose after seeing mine.

We didn't get as many photos taken as most do, but that was because I'd had enough - the photographer was more than happy to take more.

hey thank you very much, i have had a few prices but waiting for suzie to get back to me, some others are very overpriced,the engagement pics sound like a good idea, thank you