PDA

View Full Version : Caithness and the Oscars

scotsboy
25-Feb-08, 09:26
.......come on there must be a link, however tenuous!

brokencross
25-Feb-08, 09:31
Parts of movie Atonement was filmed on Redcar beach, I have visited Redcar Beach, I was born in Caithness, Atonement won 1 Oscar...tenuos but true.

helenwyler
25-Feb-08, 09:49
I was at uni with Daniel Day-Lewis' sister Tamsin, and my great grandparents were from Caithness. Very tenuous.... she was part of the 'beautiful rich set' and I wasn't[lol]. But you did ask!

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Feb-08, 11:36
I am movies. I am the Oscars.

marlyn
25-Feb-08, 14:10
Tilda Swinton won an Oscar, she lives in Nairn and that is my home town (have actually walked past her and her Fendi wellies!! in Nairn High Street.

Dynamic Sounds
25-Feb-08, 16:01
OK Follow this carefully...

Tilda Swinton Who won an Oscar for Micheal Clayton) was in the film CONSTANTINE with.....
Rachel Weisz who was in ERAGON (2006) with....
Martin Jarvis who was in BUSTER (1988) with.....
Sheila Hancock who was in HOLD BACK THE NIGHT (1998), which part of was filmed in Caithness!!!!!

Also Sheila Hancocks late husband John Thaw has as a co-star in an episode of Morse ALINE MOWAT, who is from Wick!

Anyone give more tenious connection that that???

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 16:05
Well I've been on telly and so has one or two Oscar winners....tenuous enough?;)

Boozeburglar
25-Feb-08, 16:25
Tilda Swinton won an Oscar, she lives in Nairn and that is my home town (have actually walked past her and her Fendi wellies!! in Nairn High Street.

I love Tilda, which of her men was with her?

Do you think she makes more from films or from rice?

:)

marlyn
25-Feb-08, 16:28
I love Tilda, which of her men was with her?

Do you think she makes more from films or from rice?

It was the man that she 'lives' with (the famous one - sorry but to much of a heathen to know his name) that was with her in Nairn - not sure about the oscars!

Probably the rice!!

Highland Laddie
25-Feb-08, 17:37
It was the man that she 'lives' with (the famous one - sorry but to much of a heathen to know his name) that was with her in Nairn - not sure about the oscars!

Probably the rice!!

His name is John Byrne

Boozeburglar
25-Feb-08, 17:59
...or Sandro Kopp but ye mean the old one I am sure.

marlyn
25-Feb-08, 21:10
Thank you Highland Laddie - thats the one! Husband does tell me these things but I never remember. My word but she is a tall lady though.

George Brims
26-Feb-08, 00:06
What's with the references to rice? If she's growing rice in Nairn this whole thread is going to descend into a global warming discussion again.

I find it quite amusing to hear Tilda lives in Nairn. That'll be why the English papers reporting on the younger bloke with her at the BAFTA awards said she lives with her older one "an hour NORTH of Inverness".

Boozeburglar
26-Feb-08, 01:22
That would be me and my sad humour, Tilda is a leading brand of rice.

Funny how the journos don't even take two seconds to check where Nairn is!

The young chap has been staying at the hoose in Nairn too, it is the local scandal!

Sporran
26-Feb-08, 06:48
.......come on there must be a link, however tenuous!

Parts of movie Atonement was filmed on Redcar beach, I have visited Redcar Beach, I was born in Caithness, Atonement won 1 Oscar...tenuos but true.

I was born in a town about 30 miles from Nairn, but grew up in Caithness. Tilda's young beau Sondro Kopp was with her at the Oscars, and he was born in Heidelberg, Germany. I used to live a town 12 miles from there, and have been to both Nairn and Heidelberg on numerous occasions. Sondro's mother is from New Zealand, where my uncle lives, and that uncle was born in the same town as me, near Nairn. All very tenuous, I know - but what the heck, lol! :lol:

Margaret M.
26-Feb-08, 15:33
The Oscars put me to sleep -- I have slept in Caithness.

Sporran
26-Feb-08, 17:26
The Oscars put me to sleep -- I have slept in Caithness.

They didn't put me to sleep, Margaret, but now I know where the snoring was coming from! ;)

marlyn
26-Feb-08, 22:33
That would be me and my sad humour, Tilda is a leading brand of rice.

Funny how the journos don't even take two seconds to check where Nairn is!

The young chap has been staying at the hoose in Nairn too, it is the local scandal!

I must have the same sad sense of humour Boozeburglar - because I knew exactly what you were on about.

Haven't heard that scandal, but not been 'home' to Nairn for a few weeks. Didn't realise it was her other man that was at the Oscars with her, but that makes it all the more amusing when I read today that the 'older one' slept through her winning and had to be told by their children - ha ha!

Ricco
26-Feb-08, 22:49
I knew someone in Watten who had Oscars - 5 of them I think. ;)

Sporran
27-Feb-08, 05:40
I knew someone in Watten who had Oscars - 5 of them I think. ;)

Hmmm, that sounds rather fishy to me, Ricco! :lol:

LRM
27-Feb-08, 07:20
It said in the paper the other day that Tilda lives in Tain...

Boozeburglar
27-Feb-08, 12:14
Geez!

What state is journalism in if they cannot even use Google?

Sporran
27-Feb-08, 19:23
It said in the paper the other day that Tilda lives in Tain...

Perhaps they thought "Tilda of Tain" had a better ring to it than "Tilda of Nairn"! ;) :lol:

anneoctober
28-Feb-08, 02:07
[quote=Sporran;347685]Perhaps they thought "Tilda of Tain" had a better ring to it than "Tilda of Nairn"! /quote]
Have to agree Sporran, "Tilda of Tain" sounds like a medieval wench ! Much more fascinating than "Tilda of Nairn" don't you think?! [lol] Could this be the start of next year's "best film" category?? :lol: