PDA

View Full Version : This is not the most pointless thread... This is just a tribute!

Sapphire2803
25-Feb-08, 00:44
I have just mooched around about 20 or so forums, some I belong to, some I don't.

The general sections on each forum have a description. An example of those description would be:
This is where you can post about any subject that's not covered elsewhere.
or
General talk, because no-one wants to be serious all of the time
or even
General - The place for talk and discussion

Noone gets accused of being pointless, people either join in a thread or they don't.... No big deal
Noone is accused of feeling that their post count is so all fired important that they would devote their time to raising it. In fact, people with a really high post count tend to get ribbed about it.
When someone says they feel down, those who care rally round, those who don't, have the decency to keep quiet and go away

QUESTIONS!!!

What do you think the general section of caithness.org forums is for?
Am I the only one that thinks that if you don't like a thread, you should leave it and not go back?. Not belittle people by telling them their words are pointless

I would go on, but I cannot type whilst pacing and gesticulating wildly...

STUDMUFFIN
25-Feb-08, 00:57
Are'nt Tenacious D Brill. Anyhoo Well Said

brokencross
25-Feb-08, 08:29
Sapphire2803 No you are not the only one; for a while now I have been a bit disillusioned by some of the responses to posts. It would appear that some orgers main aim in posting is to purely insult the thoughts/views of others with no constructive argument.

Highland Laddie
25-Feb-08, 10:20
I have just mooched around about 20 or so forums, some I belong to, some I don't.

The general sections on each forum have a description. An example of those description would be:
This is where you can post about any subject that's not covered elsewhere.
or
General talk, because no-one wants to be serious all of the time
or even
General - The place for talk and discussion

Noone gets accused of being pointless, people either join in a thread or they don't.... No big deal
Noone is accused of feeling that their post count is so all fired important that they would devote their time to raising it. In fact, people with a really high post count tend to get ribbed about it.
When someone says they feel down, those who care rally round, those who don't, have the decency to keep quiet and go away

QUESTIONS!!!

What do you think the general section of caithness.org forums is for?
Am I the only one that thinks that if you don't like a thread, you should leave it and not go back?. Not belittle people by telling them their words are pointless

I would go on, but I cannot type whilst pacing and gesticulating wildly...

Whole heartedly agree with you there.

Kevin Milkins
25-Feb-08, 11:44
I agree ,I dont think there is ever a good reson to try and belittle anybody at any time. It is a forum and for it to be fullfilling it requies as many people as possible to have an input.I am sure there are very many that read and would like to contribute but are to nervousous of the fact there ponion may be ridiculed. My reason for not joining in debate was my spelling is poor and if I have to spend all my time trying to spell correct then I will loose the thread of what I meant to say.SO to conclude no bullying please

Lolabelle
25-Feb-08, 11:52
I agree ,I dont think there is ever a good reson to try and belittle anybody at any time. It is a forum and for it to be fullfilling it requies as many people as possible to have an input.I am sure there are very many that read and would like to contribute but are to nervousous of the fact there ponion may be ridiculed.

You are certainly right there Kevin, if you ever look at how many are on the org and compare to how many are posting, it makes me wonder why they aren't posting.
Is it not bothering or not having an opinion?
Or
Fear of being ridiculed and abused?
Or
Having threads hi - jacked and turned into an inane natter between between
friends??

Oddquine
25-Feb-08, 12:11
I agree with Sapphire2803.

But if you look on the org as a meeting place for a blether and a discussion, Lolabelle, is it really hijacking....or is it going off at a tangent as you would if you were chatting over the garden fence.

Easy enough to say "Getting back to the thread" and making an appropriate post while ignoring the unnecessary asides.

I don't see any reason why "hijacking" would stop anyone posting........though it might stop them starting a thread if they want to be able to control the types of posts made to it.

justine
25-Feb-08, 12:23
hAVE TO AGREE.....There are many threads that egt hijacked by meaningless posts, why to make it go sour..I know had afew hijacked...I post what i find interesting and want to share with others..If they are not interested then why bother to post on the thread in the first place....

It is becoming hard for people to post...The ones that get me are the people who moan about it being a pointless thread and saying nothing is worth reading, but i, like others notice they dont post any threads...Wh,y maybe they cant come up with anything they find interesting, but i say take a chance, some might and it may turn out to be good thread..just like this one will.i have confidence in the orgers......

Sapphire2803
25-Feb-08, 12:23
friends??
I think you'll find that quite a few people who come across a being friends, don't actually know each other outside the org

I agree with Sapphire2803.

But if you look on the org as a meeting place for a blether and a discussion, Lolabelle, is it really hijacking....or is it going off at a tangent as you would if you were chatting over the garden fence.

Easy enough to say "Getting back to the thread" and making an appropriate post while ignoring the unnecessary asides.

I don't see any reason why "hijacking" would stop anyone posting........though it might stop them starting a thread if they want to be able to control the types of posts made to it.

Exactly!!! When did you ever have a conversation "in real life" that didn't drift?
You're right, it is very easy to get back to the point at hand, does it really hurt anybody for it to drift slightly? What quite often happens is that another thread is started to follow that very thread drift.
I think we could with a few more specific categories.
How about two sub-categories in general?
One titled "serious discussion", the other titled "general chit chat"?

Caithness is a rural community after all, for a fair few on here this is the best chance to chat with folk. I'm sure that certain people would say that there are other forums for that, but the beauty of the org is that when you mention places, people and happenings people know where, who and what you are talking about.

MadPict
25-Feb-08, 12:26
...and if I have to spend all my time trying to spell correct...

<helpful>Have you tried using a browser with a spell checker? </helpful>

silverfox57
25-Feb-08, 12:46
I agree ,I dont think there is ever a good reson to try and belittle anybody at any time. It is a forum and for it to be fullfilling it requies as many people as possible to have an input.I am sure there are very many that read and would like to contribute but are to nervousous of the fact there ponion may be ridiculed. My reason for not joining in debate was my spelling is poor and if I have to spend all my time trying to spell correct then I will loose the thread of what I meant to say.SO to conclude no bullying please
kevin i think you make a very good point,but if everyone was right?would be a very borring world,hope you get posting,would like to say more but as you say ,the end,

badger
25-Feb-08, 14:04
I don't think the current General section needs splitting so long as we can dispense with the "I'm an orger" type posts. I can see the sense in new members introducing themselves but would prefer it if they did it with their first "real" post rather than just "hello, I'm here". Many do that and it just seems better to me because the thread carries on with, maybe, people saying welcome before continuing with the subject, rather than having a thread which is just a list of "welcomes".

As for spelling, it doesn't take long to read what you've typed and I'm sure some mistakes would be immediately obvious. I can spell (usually) but I'm a terrible typist, always have been even though I've done it all my life so I've got into the habit of checking (can you imagine what my life was like in the days of manual typewriters with several carbon copies and a rubber?). If I posted without correction it would be unreadable but everyone lets the odd mistake slip through. I do object to txt but I suppose the answer is to ignore txt posts.

The most discouraging thing to me is to start a thread and no-one replies :~( . Humiliating !

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 14:30
Sapphire - "How about two sub-categories in general?
One titled "serious discussion", the other titled "general chit chat"?"

or "Over The Garden Fence!" :lol:

karia
25-Feb-08, 14:34
Sapphire - "How about two sub-categories in general?
One titled "serious discussion", the other titled "general chit chat"?"

or "Over The Garden Fence!" :lol:

Because life isn't black and white...thank goodness.

Folk would get banished from 'chit chat' for bring serious and woe betide anyone injecting humour into 'serious'. Nightmare:roll:

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 15:16
Because life isn't black and white...thank goodness.

Folk would get banished from 'chit chat' for bring serious and woe betide anyone injecting humour into 'serious'. Nightmare:roll:

N.B. "chit chat" and "serious" are Sapphire's suggestions; mine is only "over the garden fence"! ;) But I do agree with you, life is not black and white...it's much more interesting....

Kevin Milkins
25-Feb-08, 15:28
kevin i think you make a very good point,but if everyone was right?would be a very borring world,hope you get posting,would like to say more but as you say ,the end,

I think you may have missed the point I was trying to make silverfox57.
I was sugesting there are many people that read the posts and may have something interesting to add to the discustion but lack the confidence to do so if they feel there post will be ridiculed or answeared in an aggresive manner.And also I did not mean end of when I wrote I conclude, I meant I thought I was woffleing a bit.

Still havnent sussed out the spell checker ,but I will.

May even start a new thread on the subject and see how many other noddys are out there.:lol:

MadPict
25-Feb-08, 15:29
...or "Over The Garden Fence!" :lol:

Considering the amount of fishing for info that goes on here "Over The Herring Barrel" might be more appropriate...

ŠAmethyst
25-Feb-08, 15:47
You are certainly right there Kevin, if you ever look at how many are on the org and compare to how many are posting, it makes me wonder why they aren't posting.
Is it not bothering or not having an opinion?
Or
Fear of being ridiculed and abused?
Or
friends??

People not bothering's nothing to worry about - most members on .org will post something somewhere occasionally - even if it's not in the General section. And having my threads hijacked does not bother me.

For me, if I have an opinion I would like to share with people but I keep it to myself - more often than not it's through fear of being ridiculed. I got a crazy outlook on life sometimes but I don't always share because of it.

There is usually a reason why people don't participate. Unfortunately my views of Caithness aren't always great. My life in Thurso became unbearable because people would believe rumors or they'd be so close minded and judgmental that I couldn't stand it any more - some people probably think that it's the same on the .org when it's not at all.

I've been on forums other than this where people do get ridiculed for the slightest thing - and I've found that the best way is to give as good as you get even when they call me a 'retard' for expressing an opinion. It's not nice... it does happen... but to be honest, I am really glad it doesn't seem to happen here.

Healthy debate is good, discussion is good, trying to convince people that your way of thinking can be ok, but belittling people is just wrong.

I think I'm just rambling now lol. Oh well. :)

justine
25-Feb-08, 15:52
People not bothering's nothing to worry about - most members on .org will post something somewhere occasionally - even if it's not in the General section. And having my threads hijacked does not bother me.

For me, if I have an opinion I would like to share with people but I keep it to myself - more often than not it's through fear of being ridiculed. I got a crazy outlook on life sometimes but I don't always share because of it.

There is usually a reason why people don't participate. Unfortunately my views of Caithness aren't always great. My life in Thurso became unbearable because people would believe rumors or they'd be so close minded and judgmental that I couldn't stand it any more - some people probably think that it's the same on the .org when it's not at all.

I've been on forums other than this where people do get ridiculed for the slightest thing - and I've found that the best way is to give as good as you get even when they call me a 'retard' for expressing an opinion. It's not nice... it does happen... but to be honest, I am really glad it doesn't seem to happen here.

Healthy debate is good, discussion is good, trying to convince people that your way of thinking can be ok, but belittling people is just wrong.

I think I'm just rambling now lol. Oh well. :)

having strange outlooks on life are a good thing.Keeps you open minded to life and gives others a fresh insight into situations they would never have thought about...We should rub our heads together cause i have the same strange thoughts about thing,,i am a great conspiracy theorist in my head and could make a mountain out of a termite mound and make others contemplate it..
Thats what the org is about.As to those who ridicule, its only because your thoughts dont work for them...To ridicule is to be ridiculed......

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 16:01
Another suggestion for a thread - every post in it to be written in the Caithness dialect - only fun, not leaving any one out - those who wish to learn more, will - those who have trouble with the written dialect could learn from others...;)

justine
25-Feb-08, 16:05
Another suggestion for a thread - every post in it to be written in the Caithness dialect - only fun, not leaving any one out - those who wish to learn more, will - those who have trouble with the written dialect could learn from others...;)

I have enough trying to understand true caithnessians when they speak to each other,,God help me with the written dialect....:eek:

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 16:08
Ah hev a chob masell sometimes Justine...:lol:

honey
25-Feb-08, 16:13

at wid chist make me wan till come up 'e rod fur anither trip till see ma faymly and at... it'd be no guid fur us teuchters at are no livin ayr chist noo..:lol:

Kevin Milkins
25-Feb-08, 16:16

Great idea that it would help mask my poor comand of spelling.
Thanks for PM Torvaig I did try that and it told me to down load somthing from the WEB and I lost interest,but I will make the Effort.

I suppose being Welsh I could say I am writing in Dai-alect

ŠAmethyst
25-Feb-08, 16:19

Again, not one of my favourite things about Caithness lol... always spoke the Queens English when I lived there, still do. lol... unless I'm drunk, then apparently I speak Caithnesian. lol

Would probably have to get drunked to post on that thread! lol

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 16:26
Great idea that it would help mask my poor comand of spelling.
Thanks for PM Torvaig I did try that and it told me to down load somthing from the WEB and I lost interest,but I will make the Effort.

I suppose being Welsh I could say I am writing in Dai-alect

"Dai-alect" - like it Kevin...;)

northener
25-Feb-08, 16:48
Back on thread;)

I really don't see why anyone should feel the need to accuse the author of a new thread of being 'pointless'.

There's a very simple option that will deal with any threads that do not meet with the viewers approval:

IGNORE IT.

There are plenty of threads on here that I will give a cursory glance, and then ignore. Mainly because I have no interest in the subject.
I would consider myself to be extremely ill-mannered if I felt the need to browbeat posters on their choice of subject.
I certainly would have no respect for anyone whose only contribution to a thread is to snipe and ridicule the authors choice of subject. It strikes me as the mark of someone who feels the need to bully to massage their own ego.

Invariably the criticism seems to be dressed up in some form of 'Thread -Police' rhetoric. Frankly, it smacks of childish ineptness. You know, standing somewhere very safe and insulting innocent passers-by for no other reason than listening to your own voice.

That's not the same as commenting on Hijacking or disagreeing with a particular stance on a given subject. That's a different matter entirely.

If you don't like the subject, walk away.

justine
25-Feb-08, 16:57

Well i must be doing better than i thought as i understood that one...cheers torvaig..[lol]

unicorn
25-Feb-08, 17:01
I think there has been a lot of needless negativity on the board recently and it is sad to see that happening.
If you feel inferior enough in life that all you can do with your time is come onto a community forum and rubbish people's spelling and grammar then it is time to seek help.
The org was always a pretty relaxed place but at times had it's spells of trouble but there was never the endless sniping at people that seems apparent on an almost daily basis these days.

Julia
25-Feb-08, 17:20
Are'nt Tenacious D Brill. Anyhoo Well Said

High 5 for Jack and Kyle! That's fluffy teamwork!![lol]