PDA

View Full Version : Caithness sayings

balto
24-Feb-08, 17:11
just in the chat room spekaing to golach and we have got on the subject of wick(week) talk, now i am from wick(thrumster) so saying dirty week hopefully is ok as i am wondering if thurso has any daft names or saying against it, just curious

Venture
24-Feb-08, 17:39
If you're from Thurso you're a Tea-na-bowla. Dont know if thats the way its spelt but that's how it sounds.

Royster1911
24-Feb-08, 17:46
If you're from Thurso you're a Tea-na-bowla. Dont know if thats the way its spelt but that's how it sounds.

I have always believed that saying was if you were from Wick.:eek:

Buttercup
24-Feb-08, 18:12
I have always believed that saying was if you were from Wick.:eek:
No Royster, Venture's right. Used for someone from Thurso ~ similar to (though not as common as) calling Wickers "dirty Weekers" :lol:

Highland Laddie
24-Feb-08, 18:14
No Royster, Venture's right. Used for someone from Thurso ~ similar to (though not as common as) calling Wickers "dirty Weekers" :lol:

I believe it is Dirdy weeker, not Dirty weeker.

Buttercup
24-Feb-08, 18:19

Always been dirty weekers to folks I know. :lol:

WeeBurd
24-Feb-08, 22:44
I thought it was dirty (pron: durty) Weekers?

The Burdies are often referred to as Durty Weekers in our house, because they were born there, lol. I also say we're off to "'e foosum toon 'o Week", anytime we're heading that way. I too am intrigued as to how the Wickers refer to Thurso, although I have heard the Teanabowlies before...

Metalattakk
24-Feb-08, 23:04

I believe it comes from the Gaelic language, with the 'Tigh-Na' part meaning 'Big House By The...' but I have no idea what the 'bowlies' bit means. We'd need someone who kens the lingo, ken? :)

What it certainly doesn't mean, is that we drink tea out of a bowl up here in Thirsa. :D

karia
24-Feb-08, 23:05
What if you live inatween the two?:eek:

karia
24-Feb-08, 23:07
[quote=Metalattakk;345856. We'd need someone who kens the lingo, ken? :) :D[/quote]

Shame they have been so criticised on here lately then.

Use it or lose it.

sphinx
24-Feb-08, 23:09
my heed sore ma feet,s weet and wish wiz back in week......................;)

Metalattakk
24-Feb-08, 23:14

Use it or lose it.

Utter tripe. Gaelic speakers were NOT criticised on here, the decision to award £10M of licence fee payers money to a Gaelic TV company however, was.

"Facts". You'll find it in the dictionary. ;)

JAWS
25-Feb-08, 00:56
What if you live inatween the two?:eek:I suppose you' would be a "Floater" because you'd be in Loch Watten! ;)

Foxy
25-Feb-08, 01:06
What if you live inatween the two?:eek:

If you live in a rural area your a country bumpkin and if your from a farm you are a neep docker.

Moira
25-Feb-08, 01:42
Absolutely right, Highland Laddie......

Use it or lose it.

No - it is no shame Karia. The Caithness dialect will always survive. We are not in danger of losing it. I can speak it fluently but that does not mean I can't also make myself understood in the "Queen's English", according to my
Collins/Chambers dictionary.

I find your references to our dialect very patronising actually, but I can only guess at the fact that you have never lived in Caithness?

TBH
25-Feb-08, 02:23
just in the chat room spekaing to golach and we have got on the subject of wick(week) talk, now i am from wick(thrumster) so saying dirty week hopefully is ok as i am wondering if thurso has any daft names or saying against it, just curiousThrumster has nothing to do with Wick.

TBH
25-Feb-08, 02:25
I have always believed that saying was if you were from Wick.:eek:Then you would be massively wrong.

TBH
25-Feb-08, 02:28
I believe it comes from the Gaelic language, with the 'Tigh-Na' part meaning 'Big House By The...' but I have no idea what the 'bowlies' bit means. We'd need someone who kens the lingo, ken?

What it certainly doesn't mean, is that we drink tea out of a bowl up here in Thirsa. :DTea in a bowlie, crack a cuppa. You thurso folk are well known for supping oot a saucer. Big hoose by the bowl.[lol]

TBH
25-Feb-08, 02:37

No - it is no shame Karia. The Caithness dialect will always survive. We are not in danger of losing it. I can speak it fluently but that does not mean I can't also make myself understood in the "Queen's English", according to my

I find your references to our dialect very patronising actually, but I can only guess at the fact that you have never lived in Caithness?The Caithness dialect will not survive due to Television programs and the influx of English newcomers escaping from their governments immigration policy. Our dialects are becoming defunct, watch it die.

Moira
25-Feb-08, 02:52

Use it or lose it.

The Caithness dialect will not survive due to Television programs and the influx of English newcomers escaping from their governments immigration policy. Our dialects are becoming defunct, watch it die.

Put down the wooden spoon TBH & come witness it survive.

TBH
25-Feb-08, 03:22
Put down the wooden spoon TBH & come witness it survive.I witness it Moira, I live it every day, the Wick dialect is my dialect. Strong Moira, not what you hear from the younger generation. It is dying, trust me.

Metalattakk
25-Feb-08, 04:26
Thrumster has nothing to do with Wick.

Then you would be massively wrong.

Tea in a bowlie, crack a cuppa. You thurso folk are well known for supping oot a saucer. Big hoose by the bowl.[lol]

The Caithness dialect will not survive due to Television programs and the influx of English newcomers escaping from their governments immigration policy. Our dialects are becoming defunct, watch it die.

Four posts in a row, eh? Well done. Karia and Justine will be envious of your post-count-enhancement techniques... ;)

TBH
25-Feb-08, 04:52
Four posts in a row, eh? Well done. Karia and Justine will be envious of your post-count-enhancement techniques... ;)I bring out the Muppet in you.[lol]

SNOWDOG
25-Feb-08, 08:13
I have often heard the phrase 'teanabowlie' or 'crackacuppa' followed up with 'stretch e hannie, take a fancy'. This seemingly refers to a lack of side plates! :lol:

Highland Laddie
25-Feb-08, 10:28
I have often heard the phrase 'teanabowlie' or 'crackacuppa' followed up with 'stretch e hannie, take a fancy'. This seemingly refers to a lack of side plates! :lol:

To true,

cause thur bizzy sookin it oot eh sacer

honey
25-Feb-08, 11:04
I believe it comes from the Gaelic language, with the 'Tigh-Na' part meaning 'Big House By The...' but I have no idea what the 'bowlies' bit means. We'd need someone who kens the lingo, ken?

What it certainly doesn't mean, is that we drink tea out of a bowl up here in Thirsa. :D

i was always led to beleive it was "tea in a bowlie" for thurso folk as we drank tea, out of nice crockery and "crack in a cuppa" fopr weekers as they drank theirs out of cracked cups.. basically, us thurso folk are posher!! ;)

TBH
25-Feb-08, 11:27
i was always led to beleive it was "tea in a bowlie" for thurso folk as we drank tea, out of nice crockery and "crack in a cuppa" fopr weekers as they drank theirs out of cracked cups.. basically, us thurso folk are posher!! ;)And you all wipe your feet before ye go oot.[lol]

honey
25-Feb-08, 11:46
And you all wipe your feet before ye go oot.[lol]

aye, id get a clout aroon 'e lug if i didna!! :Razz

golach
25-Feb-08, 11:47
They are very welcoming in Edinburgh, they say "Come in, you'll have had your tea" . [lol]

Kevin Milkins
25-Feb-08, 12:25

I have only lived in Wick for 2 Years(Subject of our goverments imigration policy) And I thought it was Dirdy Weeker, and understood that a Dirdy person to be an industrius and hard working person. Although I have had many conversations with different people no one is to sure.

Kenn
25-Feb-08, 12:32
Well said Moira. long may the dialect survive it's fascinating to hear so many words that are different even if it means that a furriner like myself has to ask many questions about the meaning of certain words.
For the sceptics amongst you, dialects are no longer frowned upon as they once were and should be retained.
Be proud of what is uniquely yours.

honey
25-Feb-08, 12:34

i won at caithness dialect at the caithness music festival when i was at school.... and someone asked if i spoke like that the whole time!! i didnt, byt it give me a wee chuckle!!:lol:

balto
25-Feb-08, 14:53
Thrumster has nothing to do with Wick.
actually i spent the 1st few years of my life in wick so yes i do class myself as from wick it thats ok with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Feb-08, 15:07
2 pages and no-one has mentioned the word "wraxed"? Tut tut.

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 15:26
I believe it comes from the Gaelic language, with the 'Tigh-Na' part meaning 'Big House By The...' but I have no idea what the 'bowlies' bit means. We'd need someone who kens the lingo, ken? :)

Actually, that is exactly what it means Metalattakk; tea used to be drunk out of bowls and still is in some countries e.g. China....

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 15:28
2 pages and no-one has mentioned the word "wraxed"? Tut tut.

Why the "tut tut" Pepsi? Could you not remember it before now....;) and I'm sure there will be plenty more words and phrases to come.....

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 15:34
Kevin said "Dirdy..industrius and hard working person" - that is the meaning I was taught at High School but that is one among many - the other was that because they were hard working people their clothes got dirty; nothing demeaning about the word. :)

golach
25-Feb-08, 15:47
There are a multitude of owld Kaitness words, but I suspect they are not in common usage these days

To lose yer birss, to lose your temper

'At was a richt Bleeter, that was a heavy shower

there are so many others, the Kaitness tongue is a wonderful thing to have and to be able to understand and to speak it properly

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Feb-08, 17:12
Kevin said "Dirdy..industrius and hard working person" - that is the meaning I was taught at High School but that is one among many - the other was that because they were hard working people their clothes got dirty; nothing demeaning about the word. :)

That's what they'd like you to think.

Highland Laddie
25-Feb-08, 17:14
That's what they'd like you to think.

Crawl back under your stone.

Kevin Milkins
25-Feb-08, 17:34
Crawl back under your stone.

Yet more passion.

Its a beet dreek oot just noo

router
25-Feb-08, 17:43
av bin in week fur 3 nearly fore year noo an think its great who ye a talk ,its guid tae hear folk yasin thur ain dialec,am riginly fae airshur,its a bit luk haim fae haim tho a dae huv sum boathar wi sum wurds ye a yase,but am gettin there,luk wan a yais said a lote wur langwage is deein oot aw ower scotland...........

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 18:24
"am riginly fae airshur," ah thocht ah kent 'e accent..;)

router
25-Feb-08, 18:52
whaur aboots ? am fae gawston in the irvine valley

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 18:59
whaur aboots ? am fae gawston in the irvine valley

Sorry router, I was quoting yourself with "am riginly fae airshur" but I do know the accent quite well courtesy of relations.....;)

Metalattakk
25-Feb-08, 19:07
Actually, that is exactly what it means Metalattakk; .../snip

Hmm...source please?

justine
25-Feb-08, 19:28
Four posts in a row, eh? Well done. Karia and Justine will be envious of your post-count-enhancement techniques... ;)

who's envious.....Not little old moi..........................................[lol]

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 19:51
Hmm...source please?

Aha, you've got me now; it is one of those "facts" that cannot be proved unless I find some octogenarian who remembers who said it first!

I think my "fact" is as valid as yours; "tigh na bowlie" being as tenuous a translation as mine! ;) Then again...maybe bowlie originated in Gaelic as well...so many of our words did. I know this saying has various spellings but the way I knew it was " tea in a bowlie".

One we shall agree to differ on I think.....:)

Metalattakk
25-Feb-08, 20:14
Aye, I suppose so, at least until either of us can find some corroborative evidence. ;)

justine
25-Feb-08, 20:23
Aye, I suppose so, at least until either of us can find some corroborative evidence. ;)

Well i might be well off the mark but i found a quote..
LIFE IS LIKE A BOWL OF BOWLIES translated means" life is like a bowl of cherries".......
comes from a lady called Mary englebert.a childrens author..Hope this helps, if not just ignore..........

exiledtoedinburgh
25-Feb-08, 22:12
I always thought it was 'durty Weekers' and 'Thirsa shither'?

Torvaig
25-Feb-08, 22:27

What does "shither" mean? Never heard that one...:confused

golach
25-Feb-08, 23:15
Shither means people, folk. according to " Castlegreen"

karia
25-Feb-08, 23:32

I find your references to our dialect very patronising actually, but I can only guess at the fact that you have never lived in Caithness?

You are right Moira ..I've not been so lucky as to live there

As for patronising................:eek:

If you were to read my posts at all you would see that I love the dialect and were I to patronise it in any way..my adored adopted neice trix would have my guts for garters..or whatever you call them up there.*

I admire and respect the dialect.....wish we had more of it here.

I'll let trix...the dialects greatest advocate decide on my sincerity..ifanow.

TBH
25-Feb-08, 23:57
The Caithness dialect is dying out, much diluted compared to a few years ago. We will all have to dry our eyes now.:cry:

TBH
25-Feb-08, 23:59
actually i spent the 1st few years of my life in wick so yes i do class myself as from wick it thats ok with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Why so many exclamation marks balto, did yur fingur get stuck on e' button?

trix
26-Feb-08, 00:02
i da think yer bein patronising in 'e slightest Ak, i think its great....

im sorry that ye see'ed 'at way moira.....:roll:

i do think 'e caithness dialect is dyin oot due til so many incomers an probly 'e education system. i think its terrible that we da learn gaelic or latin at school!!!!

am 'e broadest oot o' all ma pals, an i da mean in size :lol:

karia
26-Feb-08, 00:07
trix is teaching me and I am happy to learn..it is a beautiful language...strange that it should meet with some hostility..especially here.:confused

Aaldtimer
26-Feb-08, 04:01
My favourite Caithness saying... "When the soles and heels are oot o' yer shoes, ye'll be back on yer feet again."...Priceless!

Torvaig
26-Feb-08, 06:42
The Caithness dialect is dying out, much diluted compared to a few years ago. We will all have to dry our eyes now.:cry:

I think the diluting came about as much by us having to communicate with non-Caithnessians as much as by incomers and their offspring. I know that in my work life a Caithness dialect would not have enabled me to do my job properly but I was lucky in that I could still use it with most of the clients.

At home it comes naturally to me and also when with friends no matter where they are from as they get used to it - although I must admit I water it down a bit for some; I think it is only courteous if they don't understand it. I have a friend who is Aberdonian and she speaks her dialect and I with mine but we understand each other perfectly!

In Yorkshire on a boating holiday many years ago I got into conversation with a local gent who did not temper his dialect for me and I nodded and made appreciative noises but I still don't know what he said.....but he was very friendly and I came away knowing I had made a friend!

carasmam
26-Feb-08, 10:05
The dialect is definitely getting diluted. My sister in law was reading the bairns a story and they told her off for saying gress in stead of grass and dowg instead of dog.
When my pal first moved up here from Eastbourne she hadn't a clue what we were saying in the tearoom at work to start with, but she soon clicked on what pieces were :lol:

TBH
26-Feb-08, 10:22
I think the diluting came about as much by us having to communicate with non-Caithnessians as much as by incomers and their offspring. I know that in my work life a Caithness dialect would not have enabled me to do my job properly but I was lucky in that I could still use it with most of the clients.Television has probably helped introduce new pronunciations and phrases.

In Yorkshire on a boating holiday many years ago I got into conversation with a local gent who did not temper his dialect for me and I nodded and made appreciative noises but I still don't know what he said.....but he was very friendly and I came away knowing I had made a friend!And you are still paying the mortgage on the boat he sold you.[lol]

Kenn
26-Feb-08, 12:33
I quite agree Torvaig, I too come from an area where we have a very strong dialect and if I was to use it in every day parlance the people who live where I now reside would most probably not understand more than two words in each sentence.
That however does not stop me from using it at every oppurtunity that I get and a quick chat on the telephone with my sister or nieces and nephews and my husband is giving me strange looks as it gets broader and broader.

At Lassagie
26-Feb-08, 14:22
I use every opportunity to use Caithness dialect in my life - at work, I am the only Highlander and out of the 10 staff here 1 of them is English and the rest from Glasgow-Dundee corridor. Its great seeing them trying to fathom out what Im on about when I get my 'groushon cut' or talk about 'louse tackids' or going home to put me baffies on.......keep it up - we are loosing our identity as Highlanders let alone Weekers. (Dirdy Weekers-canny wickers-Caithness dictionary by Iain Sutherland)

Moira
28-Feb-08, 00:38
If you were to read my posts at all you would see that I love the dialect and were I to patronise it in any way..my adored adopted neice trix would have my guts for garters..or whatever you call them up there.*
I admire and respect the dialect.....wish we had more of it here.
I'll let trix...the dialects greatest advocate decide on my sincerity..ifanow.

I have read your posts karia and here's my take on what you have said.....

The forums here are open for all to enjoy and are not exclusive to those who are familiar with Caithness dialect. That is why I post in a language which is understood by the majority. I can, quite comfortably, switch between the two during conversation and have no problem reading trix's posts here. The same could not probably be said for the majority, which is my main concern. That is why I would never advocate that we all start posting here in our native dialects, no matter how natural they seem to us or how "endearing", "quaint" or "cute" folk from other parts of the world perceive them to be.

Incidentally, what is your understanding of "ifanow"? I'd have pronounced it "Ivanow". I'm not sure of the correct spelling in Caithness dialect, but I've always pronounced it with a hard "V" ;)

Moira
28-Feb-08, 01:52
Well said Moira. long may the dialect survive <snip>.........
............ dialects are no longer frowned upon as they once were and should be retained.

I quite agree Torvaig, I too come from an area where we have a very strong dialect and if I was to use it in every day parlance the people who live where I now reside would most probably not understand more than two words in each sentence.......... <snip>......

Thanks Lizz. You've summed it up so well.

Your last pm in your local dialect caused me several days' grief :eek:

Please keep posting - English is preferable.

golach
28-Feb-08, 10:19
That however does not stop me from using it at every opportunity that I get and a quick chat on the telephone with my sister or nieces and nephews and my husband is giving me strange looks as it gets broader and broader.
Lizz, this sums me up very well, when on the phone to up north, the longer I am on, my Kaitness accent gets more pronounced, and give me 24 hours in Thursa, and my accent becomes more accented, but only when spekan till fellow Kaitnessians. I used to love hearing my youngest son, as an 8 year old, back in sunny Leith after being on holiday in Scrabster, spekan in 'e tongue, he like me picks up accents well.

IMO, on here the Kaitness tongue can only be written in verse, but not in prose, to be appreciated properly.

Dusty
28-Feb-08, 10:40
My father used to warn us not to give him any "Ill Buck"?

I don't know if that's a Caithness saying or one he picked up while at sea.

Anybody? :)

Valerie Campbell
28-Feb-08, 11:24
Keep the Caithness dialect alive. It's a wonderfully colourful language. It took me a couple of months to get to understand it and now I've moved away I really miss it. But there is hope for all Caithnessians who leave the county. I've spoken to quite a few who left donkeys years ago and their accent is as strong as ever and it was great to hear it! Once you've got it, you'll never lose it.

young_fishin_neep
28-Feb-08, 11:47
well ive been in thurso for a good 5 years nw i know wick a durdy week but neva herd wat wickers call us thursa lot, i even askd ma pal from wick n she dont know! lol

kazzii xxx

Anne x
28-Feb-08, 16:49
Having spent a lot of time in the past 4 weeks in the company of my Dad who left Caithness in the mid forties his dialect is as strong as ever and if the rest of the family are around it gets broader
I tend to pick up bits here and here and there and find myself saying hoose rather than house or get my chaicket rather than jacket
He also says pass me the chournal , a earlier memory is him singing Chingle Bells to us as kids long may it continue

Torvaig
28-Feb-08, 17:38
My father used to warn us not to give him any "Ill Buck"?

I don't know if that's a Caithness saying or one he picked up while at sea.

Anybody? :)

Sorry Dusty, never hear that one; ah doot hid's no wur dialect....;)

skinnydog
28-Feb-08, 17:50
I moved to Thurso and have never heard anyone say "peeping" which meant crying. "Lassigy" for girl and "boyagie" for boy. I thought I had landed on another planet for the first few months.

Maybe I had....

Average
27-Mar-08, 17:25
i won at caithness dialect at the caithness music festival when i was at school.... and someone asked if i spoke like that the whole time!! i didnt, byt it give me a wee chuckle!!:lol:

I was brought up in caithness from about three to 20. I never had a caithness accent and rarely used the dialect but still came second then third for caithness dialect at the festival when I was in primary school.

"Ee Scorrie" and "Div ye mind" By John horne. Possibly one about midgies too?

"Ee scorrie, sorrow sot his tail, I hevny words till fit im"

I dont think I had a clue what I was saying though.

honey
28-Mar-08, 09:39
I was brought up in caithness from about three to 20. I never had a caithness accent and rarely used the dialect but still came second then third for caithness dialect at the festival when I was in primary school.

"Ee Scorrie" and "Div ye mind" By John horne. Possibly one about midgies too?

"Ee scorrie, sorrow sot his tail, I hevny words till fit im"

I dont think I had a clue what I was saying though.

i think folk must just think if you say it well, you must say it the whole time!! :lol:

mccaugm
28-Mar-08, 12:05
I witness it Moira, I live it every day, the Wick dialect is my dialect. Strong Moira, not what you hear from the younger generation. It is dying, trust me.

As someone who moved here a couple of years ago the "dialect" is certainly not dying. I still have problems understanding some folk here. I would say that Wickers have far stronger accents and use dialect far more frequently than Thurso dwellers.
Words I had to figure out when I moved here were (apologies in advance for dodgy spelling)
"Cull"
"Doug"
"Boug"
"Bygie"
"Peedie"
"E"
Cheil"
My Hubby is a Wicker and calls his parents "Mither" and "Faither"...not sure why but I just wish he would call them mum and dad.

TBH
28-Mar-08, 12:20
As someone who moved here a couple of years ago the "dialect" is certainly not dying. I still have problems understanding some folk here. I would say that Wickers have far stronger accents and use dialect far more frequently than Thurso dwellers.
Words I had to figure out when I moved here were (apologies in advance for dodgy spelling)
"Cull"
"Doug"
"Boug"
"Bygie"
"Peedie"
"E"
Cheil"
My Hubby is a Wicker and calls his parents "Mither" and "Faither"...not sure why but I just wish he would call them mum and dad.I think peedie is an Orcadian word?

Tam 2000
31-Mar-08, 19:54
Does any know what the `Back side of Duxie`means? Did caca live there?

domino
31-Mar-08, 20:18
Duxie,as I remember it was GrantSt, bottom part of Macrae St, macArthur St and probably Huddart St And Kinnaird st. Whrn I was a boy there was a"song" The Duxie Rangers.
An ould weeker

beelag2000
31-Mar-08, 21:23
Weel weel fowkies, yur threed is fair gettin some o ye a exited an am fair enjoyin id.
A can speak wur owld towng no bad for a yowng chiel but am no sure aboot some o ae spellin so bear we me if ids no ae same as some "English-Gollach" dictionary aat a hevna got ma hans on.
Fur ma pert here is ma twapenceworth:
"teainabowlag" - in e owld days a lot o oerdinary fowk couldna affoerd muckle crockery an tea wis takin in ae same bowlags as ae soup an ither maete.
So callin wur freends in Thursa iss, wis geein thim a wee bit o a ribbin, makin oot they wer too poor till affoard cups.

As fur "mither an faither" we feel far more comfortable wee aat raither than "mum a dad" an iss fur Kaithniss fowk soonds awfi posh an pansy lek.
Ahve no verified iss boot a chiel wanse telt me at especially in e backside o Poltney ae owld fowk used to pronounce id "muhar an fahur" an he says at if ye look at ae ancient Norse language iss is awfi lek thuur words fur "mother and father"

So a howp aat hes thrown a bit o licht on a couple o things ayre an mind keep on usin wur wordies as much as ye can bearin in mind at wur dialect is as muckle a continuity we wur owld Norse heritage as ids a corruption o ae "Queens English"

mccaugm
31-Mar-08, 22:24
beelag2000 could you translate please....being a settler I am struggling to understand you.[lol]

TBH
31-Mar-08, 22:55
Incidentally, what is your understanding of "ifanow"? I'd have pronounced it "Ivanow". I'm not sure of the correct spelling in Caithness dialect, but I've always pronounced it with a hard "V" ;)Then you have been pronouncing it wrong.

dirdyweeker
01-Apr-08, 00:00
beelag2000 could you translate please....being a settler I am struggling to understand you.[lol]

Have taken it upon myself to translate this for you. Hope I have not offended you beelag2000 in any way.................

Well, well folks. Your thread is fair getting some of you all excited and I am fair enjoying it.
I can speak our old tongue not bad for a young boy but am not sure about some of the spelling so bear with me if it is not the same as some English - Scottish dictionary that I haven't got my hands on.
For my part here is my tuppence worth:
"teainabowlag" in the old days a lot of ordinary people could not afford much crockery and tea was taken in the same bowls as the soup and other meat.
So calling our friends in Thurso this, was giving them a small bit of a ribbing, making out they were too poor to afford cups.
As for "mither and faither " (mother and father) we feel far more comfortable with that rather than "mum and dad" and this for Caithness folk sounds awfully posh and pansy like.I have not verified this but a fellow once told me that especially in an area of Pultenytown the old people used to pronounce it "muhar an fahur" and he says that if you look at the ancient Norse language this is awfully like their words for "mother and father"
So I hope that has thrown a bit of light on a couple of things. Yes and remember keep on using our words as much as you can, bearing in mind that our dialect is as much a continuity with our old Norse heritage as it is a corruption of the "Queens English"

golach
01-Apr-08, 00:08
Weel weel fowkies, yur threed is fair gettin some o ye a exited an am fair enjoyin id.
A can speak wur owld towng no bad for a yowng chiel but am no sure aboot some o ae spellin so bear we me if ids no ae same as some "English-Gollach" dictionary aat a hevna got ma hans on.
Fur ma pert here is ma twapenceworth:
"teainabowlag" - in e owld days a lot o oerdinary fowk couldna affoerd muckle crockery an tea wis takin in ae same bowlags as ae soup an ither maete.
So callin wur freends in Thursa iss, wis geein thim a wee bit o a ribbin, makin oot they wer too poor till affoard cups.

As fur "mither an faither" we feel far more comfortable wee aat raither than "mum a dad" an iss fur Kaithniss fowk soonds awfi posh an pansy lek.
Ahve no verified iss boot a chiel wanse telt me at especially in e backside o Poltney ae owld fowk used to pronounce id "muhar an fahur" an he says at if ye look at ae ancient Norse language iss is awfi lek thuur words fur "mother and father"

So a howp aat hes thrown a bit o licht on a couple o things ayre an mind keep on usin wur wordies as much as ye can bearin in mind at wur dialect is as muckle a continuity we wur owld Norse heritage as ids a corruption o ae "Queens English"
Now that is Kaitneses I can understand, weel done beelagie:D

beelag2000
01-Apr-08, 09:14
Aye ayre Dirdyweeker howr ye doin,
far fae bein offended am delighded, ye did a breeliant chob, div ye ken at thur paein good translaturs £30 an hoor in wur coorts, now ayres a career chaenge fur ye!!
Thankye fur yur kind wordies ayre Golach a ae best till ye an long mae yur cert rattle til ae hill

The Laird
01-Apr-08, 13:31
I think peedie is an Orcadian word?

I think that the Shetland and Orkney version is more usually "peerie". I have often thought that "peedie" might be a form of the French "petit". I don't think that it has a Norwegian root. I may be wrong.

Incidentally, I think that it is fair to say that the Caithness dialect owes more than is generally acknowledged to the Gaelic. Take a look at these, for example;

Caith: currag (forefinger) Gael: corrag
Caith: ceard (a tinker) Gael: ceard
Caith: partan (a crab) Gael: partan
Caith: bowg (belly) Gael: balg (though possibly from Norwegian "buk")
Caith: boorach (upheaval) Gael: bùrach (Turning of the earth/soil)
Caith: cown (to weep) Gael: caoin
Caith: feerach(an) (to rage) Gael: fearg
Caith: Gowl (crotch) Gael: gobhal
Caith: muich (scrounger) Gael: muc (pig - as in scavenger?)
Caith: tullach (hillock) Gael: tulach
Caith: brotag (caterpillar) Gael: bratag
Caith: crubid (crippled, lame) Gael: crùbach
Caith: skelf (splinter) Gael: sgealb

There is also something that is/was heard quite commonly in Caithness. It was the 's' sound being pronounced 'sh' at the conclusion, particularly, of English plural words ending in the letter 'r'. For example; stairs (stairsh), hairs (hairsh), pears (pearsh), cars (carsh) etc.

There is also a certain aspiration that is/was common in the Caithness dialect in words such as; heart (hearsht), part (parsht) cart (carsht). It's a softer sound than indicated - between a 'sh' and an aspirated 'h'. I'm afraid that I don't have the knowledge of the necessary diacritical marks to fully describe this.

These are both something that one would often expect to hear in the Gaelic. For example, the Gaelic word "peurt" is pronounced something like "porsht"'

I notice, also, that there is a poster here who describes him/herself as "Golach". This presumably comes from Gallach - a native of Caithness (Gael: Gallaibh).

Bill Fernie
01-Apr-08, 16:12
You can hear some audio files on the am Baille web site. the recordings are by writer James Miller who writes for various papers, magazines including the Groat.

Originally from Wick James still can hit the right notes although perhaps not with the twang he no doubt had when he was young.

The audio files are just excerpts but interesting and if you are wanting to hear some colloquial phrases from Wick go to -
http://gaelicvillage.co.uk/en/search/results.jsp?layout=list.10&index=0&storeId=1207061756481&desc=caithness

If the link does not work just go to the site www.ambaile.org.uk and type Caithness into the search box

If you have not been to the site before have look around and you will find lots of interest - audio and photos.

cd1977
01-Apr-08, 16:26
My favourite phrase has to be "bonny an good"

As in "ma denner wis bonny an good e'night".

Metalattakk
01-Apr-08, 19:36
I notice, also, that there is a poster here who describes him/herself as "Golach". This presumably comes from Gallach - a native of Caithness (Gael: Gallaibh).

Thanks for that. I can now rest assured that Reghead was indeed wrong. :lol:

silverfox57
01-Apr-08, 19:46
I think that the Shetland and Orkney version is more usually "peerie". I have often thought that "peedie" might be a form of the French "petit". I don't think that it has a Norwegian root. I may be wrong.

Incidentally, I think that it is fair to say that the Caithness dialect owes more than is generally acknowledged to the Gaelic. Take a look at these, for example;

Caith: currag (forefinger) Gael: corrag
Caith: ceard (a tinker) Gael: ceard
Caith: partan (a crab) Gael: partan
Caith: bowg (belly) Gael: balg (though possibly from Norwegian "buk")
Caith: boorach (upheaval) Gael: bùrach (Turning of the earth/soil)
Caith: cown (to weep) Gael: caoin
Caith: feerach(an) (to rage) Gael: fearg
Caith: Gowl (crotch) Gael: gobhal
Caith: muich (scrounger) Gael: muc (pig - as in scavenger?)
Caith: tullach (hillock) Gael: tulach
Caith: brotag (caterpillar) Gael: bratag
Caith: crubid (crippled, lame) Gael: crùbach
Caith: skelf (splinter) Gael: sgealb

There is also something that is/was heard quite commonly in Caithness. It was the 's' sound being pronounced 'sh' at the conclusion, particularly, of English plural words ending in the letter 'r'. For example; stairs (stairsh), hairs (hairsh), pears (pearsh), cars (carsh) etc.

There is also a certain aspiration that is/was common in the Caithness dialect in words such as; heart (hearsht), part (parsht) cart (carsht). It's a softer sound than indicated - between a 'sh' and an aspirated 'h'. I'm afraid that I don't have the knowledge of the necessary diacritical marks to fully describe this.

These are both something that one would often expect to hear in the Gaelic. For example, the Gaelic word "peurt" is pronounced something like "porsht"'

welcome to the org on your first post,hope to read many more,:lol:

golach
01-Apr-08, 19:53
I thank you Laird, and I tug my forelock to ye Maister, for enlightening me on my choice of user ID, the story I was told my my Granfaither when I was wee, that "A Golach" was a earwig or forkie tailie and was used by them over the border in Sitherland as an insult to good God fearing fowk of Kaitness.
But I like yours also

domino
01-Apr-08, 19:57
Have taken it upon myself to translate this for you. Hope I have not offended you beelag2000 in any way.................

Well, well folks. Your thread is fair getting some of you all excited and I am fair enjoying it.
I can speak our old tongue not bad for a young boy but am not sure about some of the spelling so bear with me if it is not the same as some English - Scottish dictionary that I haven't got my hands on.
For my part here is my tuppence worth:
"teainabowlag" in the old days a lot of ordinary people could not afford much crockery and tea was taken in the same bowls as the soup and other meat.
So calling our friends in Thurso this, was giving them a small bit of a ribbing, making out they were too poor to afford cups.
As for "mither and faither " (mother and father) we feel far more comfortable with that rather than "mum and dad" and this for Caithness folk sounds awfully posh and pansy like.I have not verified this but a fellow once told me that especially in an area of Pultenytown the old people used to pronounce it "muhar an fahur" and he says that if you look at the ancient Norse language this is awfully like their words for "mother and father"
So I hope that has thrown a bit of light on a couple of things. Yes and remember keep on using our words as much as you can, bearing in mind that our dialect is as much a continuity with our old Norse heritage as it is a corruption of the "Queens English"
Iknew people,in the 1940'S whospoke about theit Muhars and fahurs

The Laird
01-Apr-08, 20:33
I thank you Laird, and I tug my forelock to ye Maister, for enlightening me on my choice of user ID, the story I was told my my Granfaither when I was wee, that "A Golach" was a earwig or forkie tailie and was used by them over the border in Sitherland as an insult to good God fearing fowk of Kaitness.
But I like yours also

Ah hah, Golach... that meaning, 'ah'm thenkan', would be from "Gael: Gobhlag", which is indeed, an earwig (forked stick - from the tail shape... see the meaning of "gobhal" in previous post.. it also has the meaning of 'bow-legged'). Still Gaelic, though... not surprising really, as Sutherland was almost entirely Gaelic speaking at one time.

I'm quite interested in the Caithness word "denshag/denshach", which as you no doubt know, means over-fussy or particular.. especially about food. This has a very Gaelic ring to it, although I am unaware of a possible Gaelic root.

south view 7
01-Apr-08, 21:09
Then you have been pronouncing it wrong.
As a bore"n an bred weeker ov 66 years av allways sayed ivanow,so i agree with moira,

south view 7
01-Apr-08, 21:11

This is a saying of recent times i.e. the last thirty years.

Buttercup
01-Apr-08, 21:17
As a bore"n an bred weeker ov 66 years av allways sayed ivanow,so i agree with moira,

Have to agree with Moira and South view, it's always been ivanow in my family and we're from Thurso.

Torvaig
01-Apr-08, 22:50
As a boarn an' bred neep-docker ah say "ah'll bay way 'e if 'e now"...... i.e. I'll be with you shortly.:lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Apr-08, 23:10
Ma favourite Caithness saying was said by one of ma wife's uncle's.He's passed away,but his humour for me lives on in this."Ye cannae keich on a scorrie,but a scorrie can keich on ye":lol:.........class!!!:lol:

trix
01-Apr-08, 23:16
As a boarn an' bred neep-docker ah say "ah'll bay way 'e if 'e now"...... i.e. I'll be with you shortly.:lol:

aye, am 'e same....'aifanow' ie. 'what? ye doin 'id ifanow?'

im sure between weik, thurso an 'e country we all hev different ways o pronouncin words.......dis 'id really maitter? :confused

TBH
01-Apr-08, 23:40
As a bore"n an bred weeker ov 66 years av allways sayed ivanow,so i agree with moira,66 years and you've been pronouncing it wrongly all that time.:D

Anne x
01-Apr-08, 23:48
I always thought the Beasty was a gollachan as said to a cattach many years ago !
which I took to be a earywig or eeriewig beastie

Metalattakk
02-Apr-08, 00:18
Ma favourite Caithness saying was said by one of ma wife's uncle's.He's passed away,but his humour for me lives on in this."Ye cannae keich on a scorrie,but a scorrie can keich on ye":lol:.........class!!!:lol:

Ah danna 'hink "keich" is a Kaitness wordie, chek. More lek Glesca, til 'e leks o' me.

cd1977
02-Apr-08, 10:19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd1977 http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=367630#post367630)

"This is a saying of recent times i.e. the last thirty years."

I must have missed the part of the thread title which said "phrases over thirty years old only" :roll:

Torvaig
02-Apr-08, 10:22
aye, am 'e same....'aifanow' ie. 'what? ye doin 'id ifanow?'

im sure between weik, thurso an 'e country we all hev different ways o pronouncin words.......dis 'id really maitter? :confused

No, it certainly doesn't matter; it's just interesting to see the differences in pronunciations in such a sparsely populated place and I thought I would add mine...another difference that tickles me is with plate and pleit, chair and cheir, seat and seit. Not sure about the spelling though...:lol:

Chligh
02-Apr-08, 20:03
I think Golach must be an Ouldie!!

Chligh
02-Apr-08, 20:42
Not sure if this will work

trix
02-Apr-08, 21:02
I think Golach must be an Ouldie!!

i da ken either....they say ye mellow wi age :lol:

dina be takin offence now golach...im ony jestin :Razz

lynne duncan
02-Apr-08, 23:35
ye ken whin i sterted reading is i thoughd it wid be easy tae think o someit at my fowks wid say, kin see ma auld gran an great aunt clear and yet as ye say wae oot keeping it going its herd tae hear fit they wid hae said.
i definitetly wid say ifanow neer ivanow
and always mither and faither
peedie
lum - chimney
hairy brottach had great fun catching them at the peets
yur roomsa midden

trix
02-Apr-08, 23:42
ye want til get oot ayre an gie yersel a guid talkin til...ifanow [lol]

suddenly 'at springs til mind.....

Moira
03-Apr-08, 00:30
....... Not sure about the spelling though...:lol:

Torvaig, I'll agree to differ with you on the pronunciation. I'm a townie - so each to their own. I don't think we should start on the spelling. ;)

Lots of interesting words & phrases here :-
http://www.caithness.org/dialect/

Torvaig
03-Apr-08, 09:35
Excellent link Moira; throws up some words that I had forgotten about! It's lovely to hear the Caithness wordies being spoken in everyday conversation but it is true that with having to make ourselves understood in every walk of life we sometimes move away from the true dialect.

I remember when I was young(er) I had great difficulty in reading the Caithness dialect but with Trix's postings on here, I'm getting more fluent! Maybe we should start a thread strictly for those who wish to write in their native tongue and do our bit for keeping it alive! :)

wavy davy
04-Apr-08, 00:03
A couple heard recently, not sure if they are uniquely Caithness or not.

He widna layve ye wi a sore heirt - one prone to dissembling

thers smerter eytin gress - a slight on someone's intellect

I'm posting because I'm sitting at home with nothing better to do. I have to say that IMHO this thread demonstrates how many people on this forum use it as a means of sniping at others rather than having a bit of fun.

Coggy
04-Apr-08, 00:05
My Mother always said; 'whats new up the coast'

trix
04-Apr-08, 00:12
this thread demonstrates how many people on this forum use it as a means of sniping at others rather than having a bit of fun.

what, 'iss threid in particular? :lol:

Anne x
04-Apr-08, 00:12
Or doon e line

Moira
07-Apr-08, 00:56
Then you have been pronouncing it wrong.

By your reckoning. I'll stick with what I know however.

...........Maybe we should start a thread strictly for those who wish to write in their native tongue and do our bit for keeping it alive! :)

Could this thread suffice? We need not be too strict. :D

Torvaig
07-Apr-08, 01:23
Ach yiss, yur richt Moira; iss'll do if 'e now! :lol:

N.B. Wavy Davy, hid's alricht mannie; hid's aal chist a bit o' fun.... no snipan' at any chil....

cullpacket
07-Apr-08, 01:39
Is there anybody that can mang eh cant out there checker?

Errogie
07-Apr-08, 08:53
Keich is pretty close to the gaelic again which is cac.

And I've just been out to feed the hens in blin' drift and went heels a' bin in it. It's gey ropach oot there e' day!

trix
07-Apr-08, 10:05
Is there anybody that can mang eh cant out there checker?

lord lord...fit ye tryin til say? :lol:

am no choost 'at greit' at'id but i ken a man who can...cant [lol]

trinkie
08-Apr-08, 16:44
A few ould wordies an sayins fae ai backside o Poltney !

Fa knocked ye doon an took yur peicie fae ye ?
Len ur tea.
Put id on ai sneck.
Lek snow off ai dick.
A richt heelan choochter.
Lyan smooran in his bed.
A bunch of flowers – a bunch o’ flooers - a bunch o’ floories – a bunch o’ floorags – a bunch o’ flooragies

Fit a kafuffle ai stoor wis rising till meet ye.
She’s off stravaigin ai nicht again !
Dinna stan in ai strannie !
Chappan ai tatties.
Fas ‘at ? Fa achts at cheil.

I geed till e picturs ai ither nicht…. Fit a lok o’ trock !
Yin cheil’s a richt gaapas.
Yin wifies aye clocherin – I can hear her sochan ben ai hoose.
Yin wife hes gran skutch.
Fit a richt boorag iss hoose is in.

We hed a bleeter o’ snow this moarnin…. I got richt drookid . I hed my gravad on.
Sit ye doon an fill yur bowgie.
‘Can ye tango Chimmag?’ ‘No, bit I can shiffel doung till any man in ai Hall !’’

He hes a richt g g g gant!

Faygs ! I hev till go ivvynow – stop iss footeran aboot.

Torvaig
08-Apr-08, 17:49
Good fur ye Trinkie; 'e only wordie ah dinna ken is "strannie"; is at a toon expression or chist 'at ah hevna heard o' hid?

domino
08-Apr-08, 19:17
Strannie = gutter at edge of pavement. great word

trinkie
08-Apr-08, 19:29
Pit yin duff on ai ashid an lift hid ben till ai kitchen.
Twa giggad chops and tatties
Yur cherseys weel wrocht…. Hids wraxed on ower chist.
Yin cheil’s a richt amidan.

Come away in, ai kettle is on ai biel.
Wur Chairlad’s aye clashing wi’ her neebour.,
Far’s ai chapper ? Hids ower aside yin choog that’s cowped ower.

Geis a daad o’ yin butter on my tatties wifie…. Chist a fine wee lockie .
Geis a fracht o’ water till wash hid doon noo.
Losh man, chist wait a meenad !
Yur no as swack as ye used till be ma lad !
Am all throughither ai day !
Fair trachled I am an all !
Yin trosk will be ai deith o’ me !

Pit ai snib on ai door lek.
Losh, yin stroop’s leakan again !
Dinna be sae shoogan.
Ma fingers are fair dirlan wi’ ai cowld.
Pit yur gansey on ivvynow !

Wur Chonnie cliped his sister, I geid him a richt cloot. Now he’s dortan wi me.
Did ye dunt yur new car Wullie ?

She ate too much now she’s boakan…. I telt her a puckly wad do.
Man she’s lek till rive ! Fars ai chanty ? Pull ai twilt up till yur oxters Maggie.

Feel ai weicht o’ this spurnge Nellie !
Here comes ai wheeper in ! Run for id !
Her feet are fair skleeteran ower her shoes !
Yins a footlan beesom. I wish she’s stop ai girnan. She’s at glaikid.

Geordie will be hom at half yoken……hirplin lekley !
That cough is hirlan in his breest noo. He’s isking for breath.
She cocked her nev at me !! She’s at niattry.

Ochanee Cheemag, fits at under yur oxter ? Man yur pechan ! Yur at peelie-wallie.

Didna stand in yin pirlags! Watch far ye pit yur feet !
Thurs anither horse’s gollan !

Shiv ai door tae.
Fit shither’s at ower ai rod ? Fa achts him ?
Are ye comin ower ai breeg till Week?
I’ve got a pimple on ma broo and anither on ma neb !
Come on ben, Willie is but, pitting on his carpids.