PDA

View Full Version : Floating fishing net

Tugmistress
24-Feb-08, 17:09
Apparently there is a very large piece (100m x 60m or more) of fishing net floating around in the pentland firth that got washed overboard on friday night. I know a boat got caught in it last night but i don't think it was attached when the lifeboat towed them in early hours this morning (piccies in my lifeboat gallery), anyone know if it has come to shore yet somewhere or is it still out there causing a hazard to shipping and also the wildlife of the area?

kas
24-Feb-08, 17:49
It was said last night to be 500m x 120m. This was info from the Coastguard passed to the Lifeboat.

Tugmistress
24-Feb-08, 18:04
It was said last night to be 500m x 120m. This was info from the Coastguard passed to the Lifeboat.

Cheers Kas, that's one huge lump of netting! looked on the MCA website but there is no mention of it :(

Dog-eared
25-Feb-08, 19:45
I saw the lifeboat coming into Thurso Bay in late afternon today . What was the callout ?

davem
25-Feb-08, 20:42
Aubretia reg. Buckie had fouled the prop on the net and needed a tow in on Sat afternoon. Its on BBC digital's scotland news p1605. Says which boat lost the net too the Bergen reg. Krossfjord!

George Brims
25-Feb-08, 21:07
A question Tugmistress may be able to answer. I assume anyone finding this thing and taking it aboard is now the proud owner of a used (and slightly damaged) piece of gear, which they can sell or use at their discretion?

bonami
25-Feb-08, 21:36
Coastguard says tonight it was lost 2 miles west of Swekie Pt Stroma and is floating dont know when it was last seen.Must be a purse net.

kas
25-Feb-08, 21:57
I saw the lifeboat coming into Thurso Bay in late afternon today . What was the callout ?
No that was the Barra Crew on passage with a relief lifeboat.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/kasm/reliefboat.jpg

Tugmistress
25-Feb-08, 22:04
A question Tugmistress may be able to answer. I assume anyone finding this thing and taking it aboard is now the proud owner of a used (and slightly damaged) piece of gear, which they can sell or use at their discretion?

To be honest George I haven't a clue! last i heard was the coastguard tug anglian sovereign was going to maybe pick the net up as it had snagged on stroma.

Rourkee
25-Feb-08, 22:44
If this is a purse net then its worth a bob or two, somewhere in the region of 40k. A costly loss by anyones standards.

buggyracer
26-Feb-08, 00:43
i would say you could double the 40k and then add another 20k on top :) and then you may be near its worth!!

TBH
26-Feb-08, 11:05
According to the news, the net is the length of six football pitches.

Tighsonas4
26-Feb-08, 11:45
FISHING NET
if this net snags a propeler and stops the engines maybe even putting the
gear box out of action who will be at the saving end then
cg say it is adrift again no not where maybe have to call on tuggs [lol] [lol]

Kenn
26-Feb-08, 12:14
I am curious as to whether tne vessel that lost this net can be prosecuted for causing a marine hazard?
I just hope that it's located and dealt with at the earliest oppurtunity before some other unfortunate vessel or wild life fall foul of it.

Tighsonas4
26-Feb-08, 13:45
I am curious as to whether tne vessel that lost this net can be prosecuted for causing a marine hazard?
I just hope that it's located and dealt with at the earliest oppurtunity before some other unfortunate vessel or wild life fall foul of it.
that is a good question lizz. would like to know the answer to that
possibly some maritime rules must apply tony

Dog-eared
26-Feb-08, 13:54
The net was lashed on the afterdeck and went overboard when the vessel encountered 30metre waves.

I heard the net is worth £45K and I would assume that if picked up at sea it would be classed as salvage but if ashore above the high tideline it might be Crown property. ???

Tighsonas4
26-Feb-08, 14:06
The net was lashed on the afterdeck and went overboard when the vessel encountered 30metre waves.

I heard the net is worth £45K and I would assume that if picked up at sea it would be classed as salvage but if ashore above the high tideline it might be Crown property. ???
dont know about a net but if you get a rope on board any vessel you can be in for salvage there was a boat abanded in the firth many years ago she was norgweian was towed to wick and was not allowed to leave until the
powers that be had coughed up her fish was still in the hold tony

Tighsonas4
26-Feb-08, 18:52
heard just now that it was on caithness fm that it has been spotted by a plane east of wick in which case it can be picked up
no doubt it will be confirmed shortly if this is the case tony

south view 7
26-Feb-08, 18:58
the net was spotted off wick today by an aircraft and is being retrieved by boat that lost it at this moment,i have been watching from the south head since about four o"clock this afternoon.

Tugmistress
26-Feb-08, 19:00
That's good to know, at least the hazard will be gone now, and not too soon either.

peedie man
26-Feb-08, 19:01
I heard the Krossfjord has picked up her net

bonami
26-Feb-08, 21:21
Coastguard says net now recovered.

TBH
26-Feb-08, 22:14
The Stroma pirates would have had that net ashore no problem.

Tighsonas4
10-Mar-08, 18:01
ANOTHER FISHING NET
according the orkney news this morning the coast guards have issued another warning of a lump of net adrift in the pentland firth.
no location given but seems its not related to the last incident tony

Kevin Milkins
10-Mar-08, 19:59
ANOTHER FISHING NET
according the orkney news this morning the coast guards have issued another warning of a lump of net adrift in the pentland firth.
no location given but seems its not related to the last incident tony

Given the cost of these nets on the last one that went over boared it would seem a more profitable buisiness fishing for nets than to catch fish, and there is no quota to worry about.lol