PDA

View Full Version : invasion of the highlands!!

AIRYFAIRY
30-Oct-05, 18:58
All excited for your new tesco store then?? :lol: well good luck to you is all I can say. I currently live a stones throw away from a store in england - which is of course is not a patch on the beautiful highlands. Cannot help but be rather sad :~( that tesco will plant itself in scotland! Of course, I am sure locals will benefit from the place, be able to do all your shopping at once instead of having to go from shop to shop to shop!! But unfortunatly that is the very sad thing - I have witnessed many many traditional small family run buisinesses simply closing down, [evil] all because they are unable to cope with the competition of a superstore. Our town now more or less consists of Tesco, Tesco, Tesco!! The choice of where to shop is gradually being taken away, traffic has increased, and imigrants are becoming the higher percentage of our population!
Shamefully I admit to being a part of the closure of shops, and yes of course i shop at Tesco, we dont have much choice! Just like many of you we were very excited about the building of tesco, but look at what you have to look forward to :confused
Wick town could see the closure of many shops, it will take buisiness away rather than bring custom in - my impression of the scottish highlands is that its a clean, open place full of natural beauty and breathtaking views - hold onto that thought because when the invasion begins the changes will creep up on you so slowly you wont see them happening - then its too late to do anything about it!! :eek:

porshiepoo
30-Oct-05, 19:14
Ah! So you see peeps, it's not just me that has experienced the demise of a perfectly good town.
Tesco's is but the start, as more and more people will see. :( :(
And what comes with tesco? More shops, more houses, more traffic, more people and then it's just a matter of time before we're invaded. :(

Tell me AIRYFAIRY what is the air like where you are? Clean? What about the beaches? Is English now the 2nd language ;) What about crime - is your car safe at night? or is it quicker to walk now with all the traffic? :p

AIRYFAIRY
30-Oct-05, 19:22
well - as for the air the NHS are currently trialling personal oxygen cylinders for public use, we all have cars to clean and polish and look at - but walking is definatly the quickest way to get around!! :lol: O.K maybe that is slightly OTT, but im sure its what the future will bring. As for our beaches, paddling in a sea full of vomit, beer cans, dirty nappies just does not have the sound of an idylic relaxing beach holiday [evil]
maybe tesco can not take all the blame for that - imigrants do mostly :lol: oops! a bit too honest of my opinion there!! :evil

_Ju_
30-Oct-05, 19:26
Tell me AIRYFAIRY what is the air like where you are? Clean? What about the beaches? Is English now the 2nd language ;) What about crime - is your car safe at night? :p

Hmmmm..... Porshie, you really need to be careful how you structure a sentence. Reading through it quickly and disregarding smiley's you ask about crime and how large the immigrant population is in the same sentence. To someone else it might seem you are implying a direct link between criminality and immigrants. But then maybe smiley's are allowed to be used as punctuation nowadays. What would I know....

porshiepoo
30-Oct-05, 19:29
Oh NO :~( You mentioned the I word in a derogative tone :( :( You'll get slaughtered now ;)

Tell me, have you had the pleasure in actually managing to strike up a conversation with these ..... foreign visitors to our fair land ;) Or odds against odds have you found that they can't actually speak our language ... that well! :evil :evil

_Ju_
30-Oct-05, 19:44
hmm...... Please read my post again, Porshie....... CAREFULLY!!!!

I am not "one of you" to use your own words....I am one of "them".... the criminal "I-word" people. You know...the ones stealing your jobs, benefits and language and generally dragging the country into a downward spiral of criminal activity ( in case you need some help interpreting, I am beng sarcastic).

Moira
30-Oct-05, 20:06
Airyfairy

What you're saying here has been well & truly exhausted on another thread :-
"New retail park in Wick"

Are you Porshiepoo in disguise or is it a total co-incidence that you've just found this forum and decided to post this without reading any recent threads ?? MMmmmm ... similar opinions & overuse of smileys - makes me very suspicious.

_Ju_
30-Oct-05, 20:11
Se queres saber se falo outra lingua.... Nao sou o Poshiepoo.

_Ju_
30-Oct-05, 20:15
Se queres saber se falo outra lingua.... Nao sou o Poshiepoo.

ops...read too quickly, Moira, thought you were sugesting I was Porshie

cullbucket
30-Oct-05, 20:26
Airyfairy

Are you Porshiepoo in disguise or is it a total co-incidence that you've just found this forum and decided to post this without reading any recent threads ?? MMmmmm ... similar opinions & overuse of smileys - makes me very suspicious.

Must agree Moira, its a bit sad to get your mates to sign up and start another thread to back up your unpopular views...... maybe porshie's feeling a bit insecure

porshiepoo
30-Oct-05, 20:40
Hmmmm..... Porshie, you really need to be careful how you structure a sentence. Reading through it quickly and disregarding smiley's you ask about crime and how large the immigrant population is in the same sentence. To someone else it might seem you are implying a direct link between criminality and immigrants. But then maybe smiley's are allowed to be used as punctuation nowadays. What would I know....[/quote]

Sod being careful! There are some people out there who like to use the Immigrant status to hide behind and analyse everything that is said that includes that word. I'm not going to justify my use of words, smilies or grammar to you or anyone else.
Why should what I put "Seem to anyone else you are implying a direct link between criminality and immigrants"? Get over it already! I'm quite sure that you're right and that immigrants are all clean cut, perfect, non - criminally minded pillars of community that I suppose I will never be.
Is it that I'm implying things or is it that immigration is such a touchy subject that anyones use of it that is outside what some people view as 'acceptable' is disected and classed as being rascist. I don't believe I have ever said that immigrants means criminals, if I have please point it out, if not, stop twisting what is said to suit your own perhaps fragile ego.

People arriving here from other countries is entirely part of the world we live in today. I wholeheartedly agree with supporting people from other countries that are fleeing the various dangers in their own homeland.
You will notice from my other posts that I personally feel we should be looking after our own country before we claim the ability to support those from other countries that come here looking purely for work. I also believe that people re-locating here should have to learn the english language first (obviously not those who are asylum seekers).
Try getting work in Canada. If a canadian can do the job then it has to go to them, and I think that thats the way it should be.
I'll tell you something else as well, seeing as we're on a touchy subject such as rascism. I applied at wick hospital for a part time job , when the application form came through one of the questions I was asked is "are you white Scottish or other White British".
That, is something I have never ever come across before and gave me the impression that the only reason such a question is asked is that the job preferences go to those who are "white Scottish". But then I suppose that's ok?

AIRYFAIRY
30-Oct-05, 20:41
Just for the record, i am an individual with opinions of my own!! So, they may appear to have similarities to porshepooh, how does that mean we are mates?? :confused
I am actually scottish born and bred, and am just taking an interest in my home land.
The reason I am now in England is down to the fact that my husband is english!! I was just letting you scots know the delights in store regarding Tesco - but dont worry apologies accepted, no offence taken!! :Razz

porshiepoo
30-Oct-05, 20:49
Must agree Moira, its a bit sad to get your mates to sign up and start another thread to back up your unpopular views...... maybe porshie's feeling a bit insecure[/quote]

Oh don't we get testy when theres someone else on with a decent point of view!

FYI I am not airyfairy! Not in name anyway! ;)

Seriously, don't shoot someone else down just because they have a different view to you.
The thing is, the people that have been on here ripping apart development in Wick are people that speak from experience. They've all lived it. We haven't pulled up reams and reams of data and statistics from the net and then said we must all be right cos it says it here on these goverment statistics. We're saying, give our points of view the recognition they deserve as we are speaking from what we have personally seen our selves.
Yes, we could be misguided in the immigrant front. It may just FEEL as though they take all the jobs, don't speak the language etc etc but there it is all the same, that is exactly what it felt like.

zappster
30-Oct-05, 21:14
Tesco comin to Wick is marvellous..however ...it wont stop our family goin to Lidls,Co-Op,Woolies,Harrolds the butchers, DE's etc & ESPECIALLY not the wee corner shop in our vacinity & i'm pretty sure there's plenty of others who'll work it this way as well

AIRYFAIRY
30-Oct-05, 21:22
Believe me zapster, thats exactly what we all said! The sad fact is small shops just cannot compete with larger stores that sell everything under one roof :~(
But good for you - hope you still feel this way in the future - but bet you wont!!

fred
30-Oct-05, 21:58
I don't see what the connection is between Tescos and imigration.

That's two people now listed an influx of imigrants as being the result of Tescos opening a shop and I just can't see the cause and effect of it.

Are they smuggling them in in their container wagons or something?

AIRYFAIRY
30-Oct-05, 22:03
No offence meant to either Tesco or immigrants [even though "illegal" they may be!]
But you do see rather a high percentage of such people [immigrants] being employed by large stores [not just Tesco] Could this be something to do with the pittance of a wage immigrants would work for? :confused

zappster
30-Oct-05, 22:09
Believe me zapster, thats exactly what we all said! The sad fact is small shops just cannot compete with larger stores that sell everything under one roof :~(
But good for you - hope you still feel this way in the future - but bet you wont!!
Well thats a bad bet m'dear & as long as the shops i've mentioned previously(including other such as the papershop ,music shop etc)I Will be stickin to my word!!

cullbucket
30-Oct-05, 22:10
Must agree Fred, cant really see the logic....
I bet this debate was going on in Thurso long ago....
Back in the 60's or 70s.... (not that old)
"Tell yee bie, when at liptons opens, at'll be ee end o thurso"

Circa ....1996??? Help me oot....
"When at beeg prestos opens, all ay wee shoppies will shut doon"

Now... "When at Tescos opens, we will be overrun by ee immigrenters comin up here till thirsa attracted by e cheep petrol and messages"

As I always say, the reason Scotland is 5M not 50M population is the rubbish weather and midges.....

Naefearjustbeer
30-Oct-05, 22:13
How many of these complainers about tesco will be doing the shopping in the place. If it is going to be so bad you keep using the shops we already have.

Rheghead
30-Oct-05, 22:15
The only way a small shop can compete with a supermarket is on variety, quality and service.

So in my opinion, it will be a good move if Tescos comes to Caithness because quality and service can be severely lacking here in some (but not all) shops.

AIRYFAIRY
30-Oct-05, 22:21
Good for you zappster - hope you continue to feel loyal to your local ammenities, cos believe me they will need it! As for naefearjustbeers comment - well of course people will shop at Tesco, curiosity gets the better of you then your hooked, and its bye bye small town shops!! :~(

tip top
30-Oct-05, 22:23
:confused Is a white settler not an immigrant ;)

AIRYFAIRY
30-Oct-05, 22:26
Could you please define "white settler"! :confused

Naefearjustbeer
30-Oct-05, 22:35
I am afraid no matter how cheap tescos is I will still buy local free range eggs, Fish from the shop at the harbour, Meat from bews the butchers etc etc. I have tried the equivalent products from supermarkets and they don't come anywhere near the quality even if the stuff was 25% of the price i will still continue to shop at my local shops.Try it go and buy a steak from a supermarket and one from the butchers, Cook them the same way and then come back and tell me that you will use tescos butchers. If you do you have no sense of taste.
Tescos will be good for tins of beans and the like and I hope it strikes a death on that so called supermarket somerfields. But I really hope that my local small shops will survive. Some people may not have the time to go to a variety of shops to get the weekly shopping but it is well worth the extra effort.

Naefearjustbeer
30-Oct-05, 22:38

If you can trace your family back 3 generations in the county you are not a white settler. If you or you parents moved up to Caithness to work in dounreay or where ever then you are a white settler or incomer. Even if you move from one part of the county to another you are classed as an incomer ask any "weeker" that lives in Thurso or vice versa

AIRYFAIRY
30-Oct-05, 22:45
Your right, meat is 100% better from the butcher, fish 100% better from the fishmonger - we had all of those here too, alas they are no more thanks to Tesco! :~(
It is also responsible for the closure of the towns other main store, Morrisons [similar to Somerfields] so yes, people will probably HAVE to shop at Tesco, it will be the last one standing!!
Do you suggest white settlers are not true scots?? If a person is born and bred somewhere and has that place identified on their birth certificate, does that not make them a member of that society??! :confused

porshiepoo
30-Oct-05, 22:51

If you can trace your family back 3 generations in the county you are not a white settler. If you or you parents moved up to Caithness to work in dounreay or where ever then you are a white settler or incomer. Even if you move from one part of the county to another you are classed as an incomer ask any "weeker" that lives in Thurso or vice versa

Oh I know! Believe me it's made blatantly obvious alot of times. Just because it's said behind closed doors alot people think it's ok to do it but when someones up front about it everyone stands back in disgust!
I am a 'White settler' as you put it, but I guess it's ok for you to call people that and no one will twist it into you saying anything at all derogatory, but when someone mentions immigrant then all hell breaks loose. :evil
Just because 3 generations has you "classed" as not being a 'white settler' does not make it so. So what are you if you do have 3 generations? A white non-settler! And why does colour even have to come into it??

Back to Airyfairys original thread: I think what they were trying to say is that once larger companies such as tesco etc etc start making a base up here we will then be invaded by other developers. And like airyfairy said living that life is very different to thinking you want to live it.

champagnebaby
30-Oct-05, 22:52
Airyfairy

Tend to agree there Moira - blatantly obvious!

porshiepoo
30-Oct-05, 22:55
Your right, meat is 100% better from the butcher, fish 100% better from the fishmonger - we had all of those here too, alas they are no more thanks to Tesco! :~(
It is also responsible for the closure of the towns other main store, Morrisons [similar to Somerfields] so yes, people will probably HAVE to shop at Tesco, it will be the last one standing!!
Do you suggest white settlers are not true scots?? If a person is born and bred somewhere and has that place identified on their birth certificate, does that not make them a member of that society??! :confused

It would seem not Airyfairy. You see it would seem that it's ok for some of us to be cosidered white settlers or incomers and thats probably the reason also that we settlers / incomers are not allowed opinions either. If we state our opinions then we're rascist etc and if we attempt to defend ourselves then we're accused of trying to hard to convince people so therefore that makes us what we're not. :confused Yeah ! got confused there myself too, but I know what I mean.

AIRYFAIRY
30-Oct-05, 22:56
Champagnebaby - what is blatlently obvious? cos i`m definatly missing it!!
Deary deary me do you find it so hard to believe other people may also have opinions??
Its called small mindedness - no offence meant of course! :lol:

porshiepoo
30-Oct-05, 22:58

Tend to agree there Moira - blatantly obvious![/quote][/quote]

lol ; ha, ha ha ha. Jeez you really can't handle it can you. :lol: :lol:
Now who's discriminating against someone lol
You don't like Airyfairys opinion either therefore they must be me :lol: :lol:
So much easier to chew than to think someone else actually has an opinion based on experience :lol:

gleeber
31-Oct-05, 00:01
Theres something rather tiresome about all this white settler stuff. Thurso has always been incomer friendly and I hope always will be. As a born and bred Thursoer I shudder to think what Caithness would have been like without the input from the thousands of outsiders who have made Caithness their home. These people are not white settlers or incomers, but locals who have chosen to live here. I note some of you are even seperating yourselves from that description by calling yourselves white settlers. I cant do nothing about that but isnt that as much a part of the problem as the local who thinks you have to be born here to have full membership of the community?
Another thing. This romantic notion that theres something mystical and wonderful about the culture of the Highlands is just that. A romantic notion. I meet as many blank looks from people I have known all my life, every day in Thurso as I will meet in any large city from anonymous faces. :~(
The world is always changing. Nothing stays the same except the same old prejudices and fears of its inhabitants. Bring on Tescos and another Atomic power station 10 times the size of Dounreay.
More importantly stop moaning and see what we can do to change the only thing we may have any control over.......wursels. :eek:

Moira
31-Oct-05, 00:24
Porshiepoo - Here's what I said earlier - in full

"Airyfairy

Are you Porshiepoo in disguise or is it a total co-incidence that you've just found this forum and decided to post this without reading any recent threads ?? MMmmmm ... similar opinions & overuse of smileys - makes me very suspicious."

Discriminatory - Eh?? I think not - nor did I mention here that I disagreed with Airyfairy's opinion. I merely stated that the topic had been fully "discussed" on another thread.

For what it's worth here is my view :- Businesses willing to invest money in Caithness, be it Tesco's, Argos, Newpark/Tulloch - whoever - Yeah! Bring 'em on.

porshiepoo
31-Oct-05, 00:50
For what it's worth here is my view :- Businesses willing to invest money in Caithness, be it Tesco's, Argos, Newpark/Tulloch - whoever - Yeah! Bring 'em on.[/quote]

Great that is your opinion and you are more than entitled.
However, will you still think the same when wick town (such as it is) no longer exists as all the shops have shut as they can't compete with the larger out of town ones.
Or when you have to leave your home half hour earlier just to get through traffic lights and roundabouts.
Or when theres roadworks amassed along roads for months at a time, widening roads and increasing lights etc for the increased volume of traffic.
How about the increase in the crime rate? Yes theres lots of development planned but with no where for youngsters to go, they'll just hang around on the streets.
Or the increase in respiratory conditions such as asthma due to the increased volumes in traffic increasing the pollution.
Oh and those services that your taxes pay i.e. refuse collection? That will end up being fortnightly and we'll be forced to recycle in a multitude of coloured bins just to ofset the enviromental destruction. And the local tip, that will end up having to charge by the car load because of the increase in waste volume. But you won't get any decreases in council tax.

I fear by the time you take your head out of the sand, you won't be able to see anything through the smog ;)

champagnebaby
31-Oct-05, 01:31
Champagnebaby - what is blatlently obvious? cos i`m definatly missing it!!
Deary deary me do you find it so hard to believe other people may also have opinions??
Its called small mindedness - no offence meant of course! :lol:

What's blatently obvious is that you's are the same person either that or you's are communicating one way or another and Poo is telling you what to write.

I don't find it hard to believe other ppl have opinions, what i find hard to believe is that 2 different people could share the same 'AIRYFAIRY' opinions on immigrants, the same style of posting, post within minutes of each other and not be the same person.

You seem so sure that all these things you mention are going to happen to Wick, you got a crystal ball or something?

And talking of small mindedness you think that just cos the way things turned out in boston and where ever you're from means the same will happend to Wick - THAT's small mindedness :roll:

Only time will tell though so i don't see why you're sitting here dissing something that hasn't even happened yet . . . . . . . . . . . . . And hey if it does happen you can always move to Stroma, plenty peace n quiet there for ye. :lol:

Naefearjustbeer
31-Oct-05, 01:39
It would be easy for a forum admin to see if they are the same person, Or at least the same internet PC as IP addresses can easily be traced if you know how. A second account used to back up arguments or to deliberately make posts that cause arguments is known as a "sock puppet" and I have seen these accounts banned on other forums

porshiepoo
31-Oct-05, 09:40
What's blatently obvious is that you's are the same person either that or you's are communicating one way or another and Poo is telling you what to write.

Oh my god! Because we share an opinion we have to be in secret cahoots :lol: That, my dear is small mindedness!

I don't find it hard to believe other ppl have opinions, what i find hard to believe is that 2 different people could share the same 'AIRYFAIRY' opinions on immigrants, the same style of posting, post within minutes of each other and not be the same person.

Why not! Theres a load of em on here that share the same ridiculous notions that Wick weill remain Wick once development starts. I don't claim that it's one person with several identities though do I! :lol:

You seem so sure that all these things you mention are going to happen to Wick, you got a crystal ball or something?

No crystal ball! Just common sense based on experience. Again, I say that the people here who say wick as we know it will dissappear are people who have experienced it.
YES I want more shops and YES i'll shop in them, I'll admit that. And, it's hypocrisy like that, that will be the downfall of the dmaller shops. :(

And talking of small mindedness you think that just cos the way things turned out in boston and where ever you're from means the same will happend to Wick - THAT's small mindedness :roll:

Oh dear, oh dear Oh dear! :lol:

Only time will tell though so i don't see why you're sitting here dissing something that hasn't even happened yet . . . . . . . . . . . . . And hey if it does happen you can always move to Stroma, plenty peace n quiet there for ye. :lol:[/quote]

So because we diss it that makes our opinion invalid ;) regardless that it's based on experience :confused however if we were all for it, that would be great and make our opinions what .... acceptable?
That's hardly allowing someone an opinion is it :lol:

porshiepoo
31-Oct-05, 09:43
It would be easy for a forum admin to see if they are the same person, Or at least the same internet PC as IP addresses can easily be traced if you know how. A second account used to back up arguments or to deliberately make posts that cause arguments is known as a "sock puppet" and I have seen these accounts banned on other forums

Bring it on!!!!!!
I wasn't aware of such a check until I was told yesterday but maybe someone should carry out a check. It would certainly shut you all up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Apologies not required :lol: :lol:

AIRYFAIRY
31-Oct-05, 10:24
[evil] How can I possibly be one and the same person as porchiepooh?? For the record I currently live in Nottingham, and presume from porchiepoohs comments that she/he must be a highlander!! Does no one else of this message board EVER EVER share a similar opinion?? :confused OOps was that the use of one smiley face too much - well hey just giving the game away- perhaps porshiepooh commutes to nottingham to use my pc!! :lol: :lol: Yes, your right checks can be made to see if we are one and the same - go ahead and check - he who laughs last, laughs the loudest!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

porshiepoo
31-Oct-05, 10:27
My laugh is most definately loud! :lol: :lol: :lol:

porshiepoo
31-Oct-05, 10:32
[quote="AIRYFAIRY"][evil] How can I possibly be one and the same person as porchiepooh??

Especially as they can't spell my name right :lol: :lol: :lol:

AIRYFAIRY
31-Oct-05, 10:47
:eyes oops - sorry about that porchiePOO!!

squidge
31-Oct-05, 13:46
Theres something rather tiresome about all this white settler stuff. I note some of you are even seperating yourselves from that description by calling yourselves white settlers. I cant do nothing about that but isnt that as much a part of the problem as the local who thinks you have to be born here to have full membership of the community?
More importantly stop moaning and see what we can do to change the only thing we may have any control over.......wursels. :eek:

Blimey Gleeber

I had to go all the way back to get to your post before i got past the bickering!!!!

eople who move to anywhere and feel like outsiders are generally outsiders because they choose to be. During my time in Caithness i was made to feel welcome by everyone i met socially - in my work i wasnt always the most popular person but i tried to be fair and open and honest and i generally got tjhe same reaction back Only once in my time there did i hear someone say "well shes english" as an insult and as you can imagine they were pulled up very publicly

People are people - if you take the time to get to know them whatever language they speak whatever colour their skin you will find they are either people you like or people you dont lilke.
Narrow minded bigotry that makes us judge people simply cos they are different should have absolutely no place in todays world. WE shoudl all know better.

And finally...........

Unemployment is so low in some places that employers cannot get people to fill vacancies - yes migrant workers will work for NMW and they will do jobs that people dont choose to do because they can get work elsewhere - bins, fish factory work, call centre work, checkouts, agri culture work hotel work. People that come from abroad to work do these jobs and often do them well. If someone cant get a job in an area where there is less that two percent unemployment then its generally because they have other issues to overcome before they can find work - they arent job ready in other words, or they need specific hours like school hours term time only which are notoriously harder to find. To say that immigrants are "taking our jobs" in these circumstances is frankly nonsense.