PDA

View Full Version : The Harbour Cafe, Wick

sadam
23-Feb-08, 21:03
I went to the Harbour Cafe in Wick today and the food was lovely, the place is lovely and clean, fast service with a smile and good prices. I would deffenately recommend it. Well done.

floyed
24-Feb-08, 10:37
I was there last week and the food was nice but some of the stuff is way to dear. The chocolate cake i had was'nt that good, quite dry.

nicnic74
24-Feb-08, 11:12
Been to harbour cafe to, & i foung the chocolate orange cake absaloulty delicious not at all dry, & as for being to dear ur paying for what ur getting which is lovely home cooked food not ur frozen rubbish or food that is all thrown in the microwave like one establishment in the town

Ash
24-Feb-08, 13:03
Been to harbour cafe to, & i foung the chocolate orange cake absaloulty delicious not at all dry, & as for being to dear ur paying for what ur getting which is lovely home cooked food not ur frozen rubbish or food that is all thrown in the microwave like one establishment in the town

totally agree!!!

floyed
29-Feb-08, 20:53

Are you talking about wetherspoons, as i would say a lot of there's is done in the microwave but i still think it is good for the price.

rob16d
29-Feb-08, 21:07
LOVED lunch at the harbour caf! Delicious! Can't wait til rennovations are done!

gemma89
02-Mar-08, 14:44
dnt like wetherspoons personally, would far rather go to th harbour cafe and gt good homemade food!! been there a few times since its been takin ovr a have nvr been disappointd.. :D

dessie
02-Mar-08, 15:27
will have to go to the harbour caff and try there fish and chips...:lol:

ashaw1
13-Mar-08, 15:49
Was there today and i have to agree! Very impressed! What were the last owners thinking of?

watman
13-Mar-08, 21:43
We had a breakfast there last week and what a ridiculous price for what you got. £5.50 and the sausages were dry and shrivelled. Will go to Wetherspoons for breakfast from now on.

gem1982
14-Mar-08, 02:14
will have to go to the harbour caff and try there fish and chips...:lol:

Well i can vouch for their fish and chips being gorgeous had some last weekend!

Thumper
14-Mar-08, 10:40
My pal and I have been there a few times now and have no complaints!The food is fantastic,reasonably priced and all homemade....you pay for what you get and I would rather pay a couple of quid more for decent food and service than go to somewhere like Weatherspoons to eat reheated micro food and have the staff talk to me like I am an idiot x

crashbandicoot1979
14-Mar-08, 14:25
I was very impressed with the Harbour cafe, really tasty homemade food and reasonably priced. Their traybakes and cheesecake are amazing. Staff are really pleasant aswell. Its such a busy place, which says it all, really.

whitewitch
15-Mar-08, 23:04
does anybody know the opening times??

nicnic74
15-Mar-08, 23:06
Opening times are 9 - 5 mon - sat

bluebell
16-Mar-08, 05:43
I was there a couple of weeks ago for coffee & cake, was served by a lovely person(coughLornacough),the place was clean & welcoming & I will be going back. Well Done All

gunner01
18-Mar-08, 16:29
My pal and I have been there a few times now and have no complaints!The food is fantastic,reasonably priced and all homemade....you pay for what you get and I would rather pay a couple of quid more for decent food and service than go to somewhere like Weatherspoons to eat reheated micro food and have the staff talk to me like I am an idiot x

do you seriously think they cook your food from scratch in the cafe? like nearly every other place in town it will be prepared in the morning and REHEATED to order!

nicnic74
18-Mar-08, 17:23
do you seriously think they cook your food from scratch in the cafe? like nearly every other place in town it will be prepared in the morning and REHEATED to order!
The only thing that is prepared in the morning is the salad,colslaw etc
everything else is cooked to order that is why it is so good & everyone
keeps coming back

ocd
21-Mar-08, 18:22
Have now experienced "Wickers World" and all I can say if MMMMMMMM, best cheesecake I've tasted in a long time.:D

Amowat
06-Apr-08, 14:06
Went yesterday lunchtime to Harbour Cafe. Found it to be brilliant. The staff very friendly and the food excellent. Will be going again soon!

chamb
06-Apr-08, 15:22
We were in wick today, and was going to try out the harbour cafe, but CLOSED, must be making to much money durring the week, wont be trying again.

Ash
06-Apr-08, 15:52
god surely there allowed a day off, alot of cafes are shut during on a sunday

chamb
06-Apr-08, 17:00
people still have to eat what do u stop eating because it a sunday

gemma89
06-Apr-08, 17:03
people also need a day off!!

karia
06-Apr-08, 18:00

They are offering a service and as such are entitled to decide when and if they open.

Sunday is a traditional day for businesses to close and staff to rest.

Should they open 24 hrs in case someone fancies a midnight snack? ..just because folks can and do eat late at night doesn't mean they should cater for that.

You say you won't go back and you are entitled to that choice..but as this thread shows you will be the one missing out on some excellent food.

Tesco's is open on a Sunday if you prefer to eat in their cafe!:confused

chamb
06-Apr-08, 19:01
Yes I understand people need a day off, but why not take it off durring the week, on a less busy day, familys mainly spend time together on a sunday and still need to eat, sunday for many mothers is a day off so they want to eat out so they are not tied to the stove for the 7th day that week.

If every where took a sunday off what would u say then, if u were faced with a hospital or petrol pumps closed bet you would complain. In this day and age its as bad as shops closing lunch times.

They could have a smaller menu or have a breakfast and a roast on. They could even have staggered staff that has there shifts on a rota system, where they dont have to work every sunday.

karia
06-Apr-08, 19:32
Yes I understand people need a day off, but why not take it off durring the week, on a less busy day, familys mainly spend time together on a sunday and still need to eat, sunday for many mothers is a day off so they want to eat out so they are not tied to the stove for the 7th day that week.

If every where took a sunday off what would u say then, if u were faced with a hospital or petrol pumps closed bet you would complain. In this day and age its as bad as shops closing lunch times.

Firstly, you must remember that these people have families too so why should they not be afforded the same rights as you to spend time with family who work mon-fri and not be tied to their stove for that 7th day?

Midweek isn't really an option for most due to the above mon-fri worked by the majority and perhaps people have religious commitments they wish to observe..which was the original reason behind Sunday closing.

I also feel that people would be more outraged by a Thursday closing than a Sunday as it has been traditionally observed.

You agree these people need a day off but you want it to fit in with your timetable and needs..not theirs.

As to your closing point, I don't think it is possible to equate a 'meal out' with such necessities as Hospital openings from which I assume you mean 'emergency Services' as Hospital outpatient depts are closed on sundays.

Perhaps when they are a more established concern, shored up by their many happy customers they will be able to employ enough staff to open Sundays.

For that reason alone you should drop in some time they are open.

chamb
06-Apr-08, 19:48
Well I have yet again expressed an opinion and dashed for it, I wont be dropping in again, if they werent fit to serve us sunday why bother another day.

Why buy a business if they arent providing the service they bought it to provide. The harbour always has people going about, possible custom??? we travelled from thurso to give it a try, after the response from other orgers and sunday is the only day I can.

golach
06-Apr-08, 19:58
Well I have yet again expressed an opinion and dashed for it, I wont be dropping in again, if they werent fit to serve us sunday why bother another day.

Why buy a business if they arent providing the service they bought it to provide. The harbour always has people going about, possible custom??? we travelled from thurso to give it a try, after the response from other orgers and sunday is the only day I can.
Chamb, take no heed, you expressed your grievance, and I honestly thought you did it well.
The Catering industry is a very fickle industry, as seen on these forums, they are d.amned if they do and d.amned if they dont.
But as usual posters on here are very quick to jump down other posters throats :mad:

chamb
06-Apr-08, 19:59
Chamb, take no heed, you expressed your grievance, and I honestly thought you did it well.
The Catering industry is a very fickle industry, as seen on these forums, they are d.amned if they do and d.amned if they dont.
But as usual posters on here are very quick to jump down other posters throats :mad:

Thank you, glad to see someone can accept another orgers opinion

Ash
06-Apr-08, 20:18

no i make something at home

anyways i wasnt having ago just stating that just because it was closed shouldnt put you off

the majority of cafes in caithness are closed on a sunday, always have been they prob dont think they would have alot of custom on a sunday

chamb
06-Apr-08, 20:32
Every Sunday the Tempest Cafes packed, I have seen us turning up there and not getting a seat so we pop back a hour or so after. then the central is always busy with people for breakfasts.

Then today in wick after discovering the Harbour Cafe was closed we went to Morags In the centre of wick, it was busy and had a kids birthday party in, so there is a demand there.

Ash
06-Apr-08, 20:34
as im not in wick alot i didnt realise morags opened, thats good tho... tempest is the only cafe in thurso opened... central isnt really a cafe but i see where your coming from.... maybe contact harbour cafe... they may not have enough staff

chamb
06-Apr-08, 20:38
I also see where u are coming from but, its a service they are providing, they should maximise business and see the loop holes. Hope they are reading this thread.

Baconbuttie
07-Apr-08, 16:29
Went to the Chemist last Sunday, it was closed, won't be going back there, if they don't want my business on a Sunday they can do without it the rest of the week.

Also went to the bank it was closed, won't be going there again if they don't want my business on a Sunday.

Lots of businesses quite rightly close on a Sunday and its the lucky people that get the day off that expect others to work.

I worked for 5 years on a Sunday and now its the only day I spend with my family as its only the weekend when we are all off together.

I suppose the poor old Harbour Cafe are not allowed holidays either.

chamb
07-Apr-08, 16:57
Went to the Chemist last Sunday, it was closed, won't be going back there, if they don't want my business on a Sunday they can do without it the rest of the week.

Also went to the bank it was closed, won't be going there again if they don't want my business on a Sunday.

Lots of businesses quite rightly close on a Sunday and its the lucky people that get the day off that expect others to work.

I worked for 5 years on a Sunday and now its the only day I spend with my family as its only the weekend when we are all off together.

I suppose the poor old Harbour Cafe are not allowed holidays either.

Get A Grip is all I can Say??

Didnt post here for a arguement?

angela5
07-Apr-08, 17:25
I didn't realise the Harbour Cafe was closed on a Sunday, I knew they closed at 5pm weeknights.

With the summer and visitors coming where is there a decent coffee shop open on a sunday?:confused

Kevin Milkins
07-Apr-08, 17:33
On the strength of the possitive and negative posts, I have just treated myself to an all day breakfast down at the harbour cafe and it was very good and also value for money at £5-50.,

thursobhoy
11-Apr-08, 21:27
The harbour cafe is a small newly opened business and have done extensive renovations so maybe they dont have the staff or the funds to employ staff 7 days of the week. As for closing a day mid-week that wouldnt be an option as the many many hard working people who go would miss out on their breakfasts/tea coffee or lunches. So all these people should miss out because a few people think its their right to eat out on a sunday. I am a chef and i would love to get a sunday off so good luck to them!!! I really dont like working sundays, so after a busy week im sure that they are entitled to a day off.

Baconbuttie
11-Apr-08, 22:15
On the strength of the possitive and negative posts, I have just treated myself to an all day breakfast down at the harbour cafe and it was very good and also value for money at £5-50.,

What did you get for £5.50 had a good breakfast in Skiach for £3.50 (2 Bacon, 1 Sausage, half Tom, Fried Bread, Egg, Mushrooms & Tea)

ashaw1
13-Apr-08, 09:40
What did you get for £5.50 had a good breakfast in Skiach for £3.50 (2 Bacon, 1 Sausage, half Tom, Fried Bread, Egg, Mushrooms & Tea)
I must admit we went there for breakfast one morning last week and although the food was nice i did feel the breakfasts were a little expensive.

Kevin Milkins
14-Apr-08, 00:05
I have also called at the Skiach and would consider what I had there good value for money,However I dont think the overall package at the Skiach would make me visit twice if there breakfast was £5-50. I will use the Habour Cafe again though.

poppett
14-Apr-08, 17:48
Kevin, I agree with you the breakfast at the Harbour is very good. I have never had bacon at the Skiach which I could eat and the eggs can usually be bounced. Breakfast is a funny thing, you want it where you are when you need it, don`t want to travel miles for it.

Down the line I would always prefer "Tall Pines " at Dornoch`s breakfast over the Skiach, in Wick the harbour would have the edge over Morag`s

HOWEVER for the best breakfast ever when you are out and about try the Laidhay croft museum tea shop. Only open in the summer months and last year it wasn`t open on a Monday, but well worth the trip out.

Maybe we should start a "Breakfast " thread?