PDA

View Full Version : Films that make you cry!!

floyed
23-Feb-08, 18:19
I have just finished watching Beaches on TV, and bubbled like a big baby at the end. Just sooooo sad:(

So was wondering what film makes you have a good old peep??

karia
23-Feb-08, 18:24
Monsters Inc. ;)

floyed
23-Feb-08, 18:40
Monsters Inc. ;)

lol very good, it is definetly a tear jerker:lol:

Saveman
23-Feb-08, 19:19
I am a man therefore I never cry.

Titanic and Signs

karia
23-Feb-08, 19:25
I am a man therefore I never cry.

Titanic and Signs

Don't be fooled Saveman..we women love to see men cry!:lol:

Why do you think we are so beastly to you?;)

Sporran
23-Feb-08, 19:27
Titanic made me cry too, and I was a bit weepy at the end of Atonement, which hubby and I went to see the other night. Brilliant film, though!

ciderally
23-Feb-08, 19:34
Titanic and the perfect storm was the weepy ones for me, and i have watched them more than once......

karia
23-Feb-08, 19:42
Titanic made me weep copiously...but only cause it was so awful.;)

preparing for pelters!:D

Douglas Cowie
23-Feb-08, 19:43
Sister Act reduced me to tears but only because it was so bad, worst film I have ever seen by a long long way.

balto
23-Feb-08, 19:48
i for one have never cried at a film just not that sort of emotional person[lol][lol]

northener
23-Feb-08, 19:50
Aaah, so many, so many. Difficult to pick one out, really.
:~( (Just for Karia).

If we were talking about books, it would be 'Call of the Wild' by Jack London or 'Darken Ship'- the final part of Monserrat's excellent 'Master Mariner'.

karia
23-Feb-08, 19:50
Sister Act reduced me to tears but only because it was so bad, worst film I have ever seen by a long long way.

Agreed!

Whoopie Goldberg can make some really grand films (I am thinking of 'Telephone') but this one was a real blooper.:roll:

karia
23-Feb-08, 19:52
Aaah, so many, so many. Difficult to pick one out, really.
:~( (Just for Karia).

Northener..if you make it that easy it's just not fun...play the game!;)

northener
23-Feb-08, 20:02
Northener..if you make it that easy it's just not fun...play the game!;)

Well....(sniff).....if you insist......but every time (sniff, wipe) I recall the ending, I just....BWAAA!

I'm sorry, soooo sorry (rushes from PC into shed and sobs uncontrollably).

Ahem.....Dances With Wolves.

I think.

Highland Laddie
23-Feb-08, 20:04
Greyfriars Bobby

northener
23-Feb-08, 20:08
I've changed my mind.

Goodbye Mr Chips.

That's a film, not a vow to avoid chip shops......

karia
23-Feb-08, 20:19
I've changed my mind.

Goodbye Mr Chips.

That's a film, not a vow to avoid chip shops......

Aw yeah...absolutely wrenching!

On a similar but more contemporary note 'Dead Poet Society' just for the 'captain, my captain' moment.

Wail!

unicorn
23-Feb-08, 20:33
greyfriars bobby for sure :~(

telfordstar
23-Feb-08, 20:38
Armageddon was the worst for me.

karia
23-Feb-08, 20:43
Armageddon was the worst for me.

I suspect it will be the same for all of us!;)

What about the final scenes of 'Gallipoli' ?:~(

Sapphire2803
23-Feb-08, 20:54
Thelma and Louise.... that was a waste of a good car
and just recently....
I am legend. That poor doggy :~(

carasmam
23-Feb-08, 21:23
My dog Skip :~( and The Perfect Storm

Rheghead
23-Feb-08, 21:38
AI was a good weepy for me, strange that it was only a machine!

Lassie and Schindler's list are the biggest weepy films for me.:~(

percy toboggan
23-Feb-08, 21:38
Shawshank Redemption
Titanic (well , I blubbered slightly)
Saving Pvt.Ryan (after five minutes, and at the end)

erli
23-Feb-08, 21:40
Never watched Titanic or Armagedon so I don't know how tear worthy they are, I should probably check them out.
Sophie's Choice makes me cry along with Schindler's list. Oh An Officer and a Gentleman too.

Buttercup
23-Feb-08, 21:53
Has to be Schindler's List ~ that wee lassie in the red coat does it for me ~ and Love Story ~ still mind going to see it at the Picture House and all the red eyes when the lights went back on. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_4.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYAXGB)

karia
23-Feb-08, 21:55
AI was a good weepy for me, strange that it was only a machine!

Lassie and Schindler's list are the biggest weepy films for me.:~(

Rheg..it was the teddy that got you in AI...'what do we do now teddy?..we run!'

A fine cineamatic moment if ever there was one...he sooo should have got best supporting actor for that....he was one robbed Bear!:roll:

justine
23-Feb-08, 22:17
The Green Mile.......Gets me every time....

Armagheddon, most of the time

WeeBurd
23-Feb-08, 22:19
Far too many to mention or remember for that matter, I'm very emotional, lol!

Caught a tiny snippet of "I am Sam" the other night, and that set me off straight away... :roll:

ett23
23-Feb-08, 22:27
Let me see.... how long have you all got????

Armageddon, Titanic, King Kong, The Horse Whisperer, The Perfect Storm, Phenomenon, Message in a Bottle, Dances with Wolves, Robin Hood (Kevin Costner version), Deep End of the Ocean, Wuthering Heights, Sleepless in Seattle, My Best Friend's Wedding, Moulin Rouge, Steel Magnolias, Free Willy, Charlotte's Web, Brother Bear, The Lion King, The Fox and the Hound, and heaps of others that I can't remember........:~(:~(

So basically any little bit of romance or death or tragedy or drama and I'm blubbling like a baby. I hate it but I just can't help myself!!!

Funny story about the first time I watched Titanic - we were in my sis-in-laws place (house sitting) and me & hubby had a romantic evening together in front of the telly. It got to the serious bit where 'Jack' died and I start crying, then sobbing & then bawling my eyes out. I even cried in my sleep about it and accidentally called hubby 'Jack' during the night when he was comforting me!!!! Oooops! He's never forgotten that and occasionally reminds me of my inability to differentiate between fact & fiction!!!

So yes, I do take films too seriously......! If you ever want to buy me a dvd get me a comedy or action/adventure - much safer option for emotionally unstable people like me!!!

mccaugm
23-Feb-08, 22:40
:cry:P.S. I Love You - story was brilliant - I should really read the book
Armageddon - soppy, romantic but fantastic
Billy Elliot - I start snuffling when the film starts, Kleenex make a fortune when this is on T.V.
ET - classic - nuff said
Dirty Dancing - "nobody puts baby in the corner"
Pay It Forward - when they light candles for the boy...
Bambi - bambis mother dies...
Titanic - when Rose realises that hes dead
Free Willy - cos its beautiful
Philadelphia - it made me angry at how narrow minded people are
The Perfect Storm - true story
Saving Private Ryan - the first half hour...
Sister Act (when the teenage girl and the young nun sing)
Brokeback Mountain - same reason as Philadelphia:cry:

karia
23-Feb-08, 22:41
[quote=ett23;3451So yes, I do take films too seriously......! If you ever want to buy me a dvd get me a comedy or action/adventure - much safer option for emotionally unstable people like me!!![/quote]

That's what films are for ett23!;)

ett23
23-Feb-08, 22:52
That's what films are for ett23!;)

Thanx Karia - glad you agree with me!! :lol:

northener
23-Feb-08, 22:53
The Green Mile.......Gets me every time....

Armagheddon, most of the time

Green Mile - Mr Jangles the geriatric mouse. I'd forgotten about that. Excellent.

Armageddon.....nah.

Tilter
23-Feb-08, 22:54
Well, I cry at anything, and absolutely everything if it's about animals. Have cried at most of the films mentioned on this thread if I've seen them. Bambi was very traumatic for me............

So, the last movie I saw was the Kiterunner and, yes, I cried.

karia
23-Feb-08, 22:59
[quote=Tilter;34517So, the last movie I saw was the Kiterunner and, yes, I cried.[/quote]

Haven't seen the film ..but the book fair puffed me up wi emotion..

Truth is all there is..that and friendship!:(

Buttercup
23-Feb-08, 23:03
Forgot to add Ghost to my list (if you can call 2 films a list)

purplerain
23-Feb-08, 23:40
P.S. I love you - trouble was I saw it at the cinema:lol: If you havn't seen it already definately wait till it comes out on dvd:lol:

Tilter
23-Feb-08, 23:59
Haven't seen the film ..but the book fair puffed me up wi emotion..

Truth is all there is..that and friendship!:(

I went to see the movie because I thought the book was so good. The film followed the book pretty well but it just missed a lot out.

footie chick
24-Feb-08, 00:19
:cry:P.S. I Love You - story was brilliant - I should really read the book

The book is really good have found that if you've read the book the film never lives up to your expectations.
Might buy this one on DVD when it comes out cos I luved the book and I did cry buckets.

Green_not_greed
24-Feb-08, 00:39
Anything with onions.......

Highland Laddie
24-Feb-08, 00:44
Anything with onions.......

Would have put money on your favorite film being

Gone with the wind.;)

Tilter
24-Feb-08, 01:08

Gone with the wind.;)

Tee-hee. Nice one Laddie.

Green_not_greed
24-Feb-08, 09:42

Gone with the wind.;)

LOL! Now that was funny......

floyed
24-Feb-08, 10:33
There is loads of films on here that i have'nt seen, i will have to hunt them down and watch them. Make sure i have a big big box of tissues at hand:D

octane
24-Feb-08, 14:26
When this movie was released in the cinema I can mind asking my dad for my parker jacket ( the one with the big hood and fur ) . So I put it on with the hood over my head and zipped it right up. I then proceeded to start crying thinking no-one would notice when I can remember my dad saying " stop it son your getting me going "

What was the movie???

ET :cry: awesome movie

floyed
24-Feb-08, 14:34
[quote=octane;345451]When this movie was released in the cinema I can mind asking my dad for my parker jacket ( the one with the big hood and fur ) . So I put it on with the hood over my head and zipped it right up. I then proceeded to start crying thinking no-one would notice when I can remember my dad saying " stop it son your getting me going "

What was the movie???

cant believe its not been mentioned yet!!!!!!!!

ET has been mentioned by MCcaum a on the second page;)

sphinx
24-Feb-08, 14:53
saving private ryan.......:D awsome moive

teddybear1873
24-Feb-08, 15:00
Jaws, that poor shark.

ett23
24-Feb-08, 23:58
When this movie was released in the cinema I can mind asking my dad for my parker jacket ( the one with the big hood and fur ) . So I put it on with the hood over my head and zipped it right up. I then proceeded to start crying thinking no-one would notice when I can remember my dad saying " stop it son your getting me going "

What was the movie???

ET :cry: awesome movie

Yeah ET is another one I cried to - remember watching it at home with my family and sobbing away. Just remembered another old weepy.....My Girl....Michauley Kulkin(?) dies and I was heart broken......:~(

JAWS
25-Feb-08, 00:04
"A Night to Remember", far better and more realistic than the pathetic imitation that came out recently which was more money than content.
Now that does age me!

ŠAmethyst
25-Feb-08, 15:35
I never used to cry at films except for The Lion King - but lately I've found my eyes welling up to other films.

Now I cry at so many - I think I'm just becoming a softie now.

American Beauty
Actually welled up at Sweet Home Alabama last night :(

*bangs head against wall*

honey
25-Feb-08, 15:41
Last Snows of Spring
A Message from Holly
The Colour Purple
The Outsiders...

i watched a top 100 tearjerkers thing the other night, i have never seen the movie Sophies Choice, but the clip they played of her having to chose her son or her daughter had me howling.... i cant decide if i should watch the film now or not!!

ŠAmethyst
25-Feb-08, 15:49
Oooooohh, The Color Purple... Wonderful film!

*thinks about the film and starts to cry*

honey
25-Feb-08, 15:57
Oooooohh, The Color Purple... Wonderful film!

*thinks about the film and starts to cry*

it was on film 4 the other night, but it was nearly finished when i found it.. Whoopi Goldberg is amazing in that film though.

paris
25-Feb-08, 15:59
Ghost and the champ, watched ghost 14 times now and still cry, jan x:~(

ŠAmethyst
25-Feb-08, 16:00
it was on film 4 the other night, but it was nearly finished when i found it.. Whoopi Goldberg is amazing in that film though.

As is Opra! If you haven't seen the whole film I'd say that you should definitely rent/buy. We had it on video many moons ago - watched it so much the video quality just went kaput. So hunted and hunted, eventually got the DVD off Amazon, watched it many more times since!

honey
25-Feb-08, 16:00
Ghost and the champ, watched ghost 14 times now and still cry, jan x:~(

The Champ.. awww... and Kramer vs Kramer!! how could i forget those...

honey
25-Feb-08, 16:03
heres a link for the programme i watched last weekend,, theres a few good uns in there..
http://http://www.channel4.com/film/newsfeatures/microsites/T/tearjerkers/100-91.html

(not all films though)

honey
25-Feb-08, 16:06
As is Opra! If you haven't seen the whole film I'd say that you should definitely rent/buy. We had it on video many moons ago - watched it so much the video quality just went kaput. So hunted and hunted, eventually got the DVD off Amazon, watched it many more times since!

I have watched it more times than i can remember, Oprah is fantastic in it too... but Whoopi just blew me away, i was used to her being a comedian, but her portrayal in that film is breath taking, from being the shy girl hiding her smile behind her hadns to.. well, dont want to spoil it for anyone who hasnt watched it!!

bobbyrussell09
25-Feb-08, 20:13
cant say i have cried watching a film but my girlfriend watched a film called ps i love you

poppett
26-Feb-08, 18:47
Brief Encounter does it for me every time

karia
26-Feb-08, 20:57
Brief Encounter does it for me every time

Oh Yes Poppett..Is that something in your eye perchance.;)

I love the reconciliation over the crossword..'you've been away..but you're back now and I will go on a smokin' ma pipe and ignoring you..as I always did'

She should have run off with Trevor Howard.:D

George Brims
26-Feb-08, 21:49
You should try the sequel...

anneoctober
26-Feb-08, 21:51
Fried Green Tomatoes, can watch this over and over and still bawl me eyes out. :~(

George Brims
26-Feb-08, 21:52
Fried Green Tomatoes, can watch this over and over and still bawl me eyes out. :~(
The book was actually better. By the same author (Fannie Flagg), try "Can't wait to get to heaven". Mrs B just read it recently and loved it.

Rheghead
26-Feb-08, 21:55

Me also but if they're done with onion.

George Brims
26-Feb-08, 21:56
I personally have a hard time keeping a dry eye when I encounter anything with Sylvester Stallone it it. The tragic waste of celluloid just breaks my heart.

karia
26-Feb-08, 22:06
Am reading zoe Heller's 'notes on a scandal'...fantastic book and I can hear Judy Dench narrating it...Fab!;)

George Brims
26-Feb-08, 22:07
This and one of my previous comments are about to spawn a new thread about books.

karia
26-Feb-08, 22:08
I personally have a heard time keeping a dry eye when I encounter anything with Sylvester Stallone it it. The tragic waste of celluloid just breaks my heart.

You 'heard' right!;)

mccaugm
26-Feb-08, 23:29

I love this film..it makes me laugh, cry and yell "Twanda", "Face it ladies, I am older, wiser and I got better insurance". :lol:

Kevin Milkins
26-Feb-08, 23:56
I have just jumped from the forum that are debating the nasty man Levi Bellend and should he be hanged. I quoted the film 10 Rillington Place a black and white staring a young Richard Attingbougher as Mr Christie and a even younger John Hurt as Timothy Evans. A cracking true story about a mis carridge of justice.
And without wanting to sound to Patriotic How Green Is My Valley is a tear jerker

pops
27-Feb-08, 12:41
The films that make me cry everytime are

My Girl
Ladder 49
The Notebook
The Lion King
PS I love You (although not near as good as the book)

Thumper
27-Feb-08, 13:32
Watershipdown :eek: x