PDA

View Full Version : first attempt at portraits..

plutonio
23-Feb-08, 16:13
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg169/alderley1/IMG_1074-Copy.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg169/alderley1/IMG_1137.jpg
my first attempt at some protraits of the kids, any constructive critism/ hints most welcome

percy toboggan
23-Feb-08, 16:35
A good start but perhaps the backgrounds are too busy?? You're obviously using a very shallow depth of field to accentutate the subjects and they're nice photographs but I feel a uniform background would be better - might be different outdoors. A good natural pose on the second one...first one looks a livewire...I wish my kids were that age again sometimes.

floyed
23-Feb-08, 18:25
I think there are beautiful photo's. I like the lighting in the photo's:D

trix
23-Feb-08, 18:30
bonnie bairns.....

Deemac
23-Feb-08, 21:34
Sorry, I don't like the lighting (is there any?) The focus is also suspect. I recommend a portable studio lighting kit (with some soft boxes) or a flash (with diffuser) separate from the camera.
Or take some shots outdoors instead.

I do like the natural poses, but might suggest harder crops (too much dead table etc). Hope this is helpful.

plutonio
24-Feb-08, 08:32
thanks for the comments all, i agree Deemac i think the focus is abit iffy and i shall try with some different lighting/flash.

Scout
24-Feb-08, 08:40
Hi I do agree with what has been mention with focus and lighting. However I don't think you need to go out and buy flash etc. all you need to do is set children near a window that should be ok you will be surprise at the results you will get from this

Deemac
24-Feb-08, 12:43
Hi I do agree with what has been mention with focus and lighting. However I don't think you need to go out and buy flash etc. all you need to do is set children near a window that should be ok you will be surprise at the results you will get from this

Good idea also, but would suggest using some sort of reflector as fill-in light, so the shadows aren't to harsh (unless thats the desired effect).

A piece of white board would do as a reflector if finances are tight.:Razz