PDA

View Full Version : how fed up am i

balto
23-Feb-08, 15:34
dont know about anyone else but i seem to be getting loads of phone calls at the moment from different charities last week it was help the aged, the friends of the earth and now its cancer research. when they phoned from help the aged i listened to her and after some thinking decided to give £5 per month(i know its not a lot but hey its better than nothing) so when friends of the earth phoned i politly told them that i had agreed to give to another charity so could afford to give them the £10 per month they were asking for only to be askes"how much can you afford" which i thought was very rude, so after telling them that i couldnt give any he said that he would phone me back after i had a chance to think about it(thankfully he never) but yesterday hey cancer research phoned but thankfully i was just about to bath the dog, they said they woul dphone back later. now i dont have anything against giving to charity but there must be a line we have to draw under to say enough is enough i think i do my bit when they come round collecting so why do they insist on phoneing so many time[evil][evil]

Ricco
23-Feb-08, 15:37
Oh dear! You have fallen into the trap - now that you have given to one they will all be seeing you as a soft touch. I only give to specific charities and only if I can anonymously do so. :confused

Torvaig
23-Feb-08, 15:39
I'm afraid that is just the way it is; marketing is very aggressive whether it is for charity or any other sales. From now on, don't engage them in any conversation no matter how rude it seems; tell them you give to charity in your own way and to take you off their marketing list then just say goodbye politely and set the phone down.

If they try again, just say no thanks and goodbye. Don't lose your patience or give in to them as you will just be upset at yourself. They will get the message eventually; it is your home; they are intruding.

balto
23-Feb-08, 15:40
Oh dear! You have fallen into the trap - now that you have given to one they will all be seeing you as a soft touch. I only give to specific charities and only if I can anonymously do so.
i know but she just wouldnt take know for an answer, wonder who will be next to want my money that i dont have:~(:~(

Ricco
23-Feb-08, 15:52
I don't know whether it legally applies but you may be within the 14 day cooling off period. I got suckered the same way when I changed from contract to pay-as-you-go; phone call, sweet voice (was that you Karia?) and ended up accepting a new contract for £10 a month. However, within two days I saw sense and took advantage of the 14-day cool off and went back to my original idea.

justine
23-Feb-08, 16:00
Its wrong that you were hassled into this.The point of a charity is to give what you feel you can...I give to charity but i dont take their sweet talking..I give what i give and no more...When i recieve a phonecall i politely tell them mid sentence if need be that i give already and politely say good by...If i get a persistent one i hang up.Rude yes but some will not take no as an answer..They are the rude ones....

ett23
23-Feb-08, 16:12
i know but she just wouldnt take know for an answer, wonder who will be next to want my money that i dont have

The answer to that is say no and promptly put the phone down. Then she'll have to take that for your answer!! [lol]

Well that's what I do. You have to be strict with yourself - say no in the first 10 seconds and then put the phone down or they'll go straight back into their speel!! :mad:

Fluff
23-Feb-08, 16:52
i don't know if it will work on the phone but whenever i get approached/ hassled in the street by the charity people (you know, the ones who get you to sign up to a direct debit) if they don't say no i tell them i am on the dole! works every time (except when i am in my work uniform...)

honey
23-Feb-08, 16:58
it wasnt a charity company, but a telesales company that phoned us... bang in the middle of an Old firm match.. well, there were a few people over to watch the match, so when they phoned, hubby just sat the phone in the middle of the floor... sop the person on the other end could only hear the shouting and screaming at the tv..... funny enough, they never called back!!

BRIE
23-Feb-08, 17:20
sorry to say BALTO but once you agree to give monthly they automatically put you on the marketing list for all other charities, just tell the next company that you wish to be removed from any marketing list & it should sort it out.
I had the same happen to me when I agree to collect money door to door for help the blind, I politely told them that i had just given birth & didnt have the time, their answer was 'go with my pram!'. The phone call didnt last long after that remark[evil]

ett23
23-Feb-08, 17:57
I had the same happen to me when I agree to collect money door to door for help the blind, I politely told them that i had just given birth & didnt have the time, their answer was 'go with my pram!'. The phone call didnt last long after that remark[evil]

The cheek of some people! They think they can get away with it because they're not talking to you face-to-face. [disgust]

EDDIE
23-Feb-08, 18:05
you have to phone bt and they will put u on a privacy list that stops people pestering u on the phone and giving £5 a month mightned sound a lot but it is if 1 million other people are to.
If u want to give to charity u should pick one thing that u really believe in im sorry but i cant see the point in giving out money to every single charity going there is a point were u have to say no because u have to live 2.

elamanya
23-Feb-08, 18:13
next call you get ask them for there home phone number and you will phone them at home , they soon clear then

trix
23-Feb-08, 18:26
i know but she just wouldnt take know for an answer, wonder who will be next to want my money that i dont have:~(

am choost getin ma bank details balto, il pm them til ye, choost a cool fiver a week wil be fine - direct debit ok for ye? [lol]

balto
23-Feb-08, 19:45
am choost getin ma bank details balto, il pm them til ye, choost a cool fiver a week wil be fine - direct debit ok for ye?
aye no probs lots to go around lol(better ask woolies for a wage rise me thinks)[lol][lol]

Riffman
23-Feb-08, 19:53
Right the thing to do is get on the phone to BT. They will register you with telephone preferencing service who prevent you getting cold calls.

Here we get less than 1 call a year slip through the net. If they do call you and they are not suppoed to you can report them and get it stopped.

Cheers,

Sam

balto
23-Feb-08, 19:56
thanks for you advice i will take it on board, plus i am going to cancel the standing order for the £5 per month to help the aged, i will just keep giving to charities the way i have done in the past.

trix
23-Feb-08, 20:08
ye can raise £s for various charities by loggin on til a website. everytime ye shop online a percentage o what ye pay automatically goes til 'e charity o' yer choice. no sure what 'e website is but i can find oot fie work.

i ken that 'e laurandy center is one o' thum thats listed.

choost til be clear, it disna cost ye a penny, its completely free, no extra charge....

pm me for details if yer interested....

balto
26-Feb-08, 14:43
yeah i did it friends of the earth phoned wanting me to give them money so i told them no and could they please remove of the list that they got my name from, dont think she was to happy but you know what they say tough[lol]

miranda
26-Feb-08, 23:21
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/)

try this site if you want to give to charity!! register, pick your charity ..shop on line.. and they get a percentage of what you spend.

it doesnt cost you anything.:lol::lol: