PDA

View Full Version : Parking in Mcarthur street, update...

justine
23-Feb-08, 13:53
Well today i have recieved a letter from the house of commons from Mr John Thurso..

I cant scan the letter for you to read but it goes as follows,,

Thank you very much for your letter dated 18th Feb.I am very sorry to learn of the indiscriminate parking in Mcarther Street and of the road traffic dangers which this situation presents to both drivers and pedestrians alike.
I am getting inouch with the Area Commander to see what can be done to help and will write to you further as soon as i have anything of substance to report.
With kind regards
john Thurso.

I know this is a small step to helping this situation but i have started the ball rolling to help clear up this problem.When i get more info i will let you know....

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 13:59
Justine!!! We are gonna be standing there blockading the road from all traffic soon. Seriously though...good on you for doing something about it! As for thos who park out into the road....you know who you are!

justine
23-Feb-08, 14:03
cheers rob....I am not sure about the blockading the strret as that might be a bit hypocritical, we are trying to srop the blockages not start them....

I was suprised to recieve the letter this morning as normally things get nowhere, but i glad that this is being taken seriously....I know i will not let it go until something changes..My family have had enough of taking life matters in hand trying to use this street..

I know some said we should just change our route, but i believe that type of thinking is why things go on and dont get changed...

rob16d
23-Feb-08, 14:11
Your last comment is 100% true! Good on you! At least if we blockaded it we could only let the GOOd drivers through! Everyone in Wick should be forced to resit their driver's test...except you!

On a serious note, I am really glad you've gotten a reply! :)

SNOWDOG
23-Feb-08, 18:31
Any chance of him looking into the Parish kirk parking problem as well? That, believe me is an incident waiting to happen!:(

Douglas Cowie
23-Feb-08, 19:40
Saw the traffic warden there on Friday afternoon so someboby is doing something, problem is as soon as he leaves it will be as bad as ever. It's quite often triple parked on the chemist's side of the street, could only happen in Wick!

router
23-Feb-08, 21:03
Any chance of him looking into the Parish kirk parking problem as well? That, believe me is an incident waiting to happen!:(
agree with you there it is a problem i dont mind the older people parking there but the able bodied could park round the back its not that far to walk

justine
23-Feb-08, 23:15

If you need to gat something about this done you will ahve to contact john thurso the same as i had to and take it up with him...I dont personally find it that much of a problem as it is not a daily thing, but Mcarther street is...

I will mention it to him in my next email, but lets start with one at a time....
I feel that not much can be done about the Parish Kirk problem as it does only occur when the church is being used....As for the high street, thats down to the wonderful Traffic warden who does do something about that I know, i have had a parking ticket..My fault entirely, took a chance got caught, paid my fine and that was that, but i am not willing to take my kids lives into my own hands because people are to lazy to walk a short distance and park their car properly.....

Big hughie
24-Feb-08, 14:31
I came around by the Parish Kirk this morning and again its an absolute disgrace Cars parked on the corners of Kirkhill blocking all visability Double parked cars ..a guy sitting reading a paper in one of them Cars parked opposite where the bus stops making it a narrow one way passage with no visability if a pedestrian was to step out into the road ..a shambles!!
"I feel that not much can be done about the Parish Kirk problem as it does only occur when the church is being used"
. Why Justine theres a huge car park at the back of the kirk and also it is really dangerous for both drivers and pedestrians even for that hour or so in the morning
If these cars had been parked like that outside a pub then the police would soon move them!! Maybe John Thurso needs to get wind of this one as well
Beeg Hugheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Alice in Blunderland
24-Feb-08, 17:03
"I feel that not much can be done about the Parish Kirk problem as it does only occur when the church is being used"

Well the lord did say on Sunday they were to rest and that is obviously being followed to the word :lol:

I have suggested before that for the next stage in renovations for the kirk they should put in big garage doors, rip out the pews and have a drive through service, :eek: No more parking problems.

justine
24-Feb-08, 20:43
Well the lord did say on Sunday they were to rest and that is obviously being followed to the word :lol:

I have suggested before that for the next stage in renovations for the kirk they should put in big garage doors, rip out the pews and have a drive through service, :eek: No more parking problems.

Well it certainly would solve the problem......Why they all go to church on a sunday i dont know, i mean its the one day of the week the lord takes off, he aint even there,,,,,,,,,

Julia
24-Feb-08, 21:07
Why they all go to church on a sunday i dont know, i mean its the one day of the week the lord takes off, he aint even there,,,,,,,,,

LMAO [lol]

justine
24-Feb-08, 21:09
Now the big question is.What does he do on his day off................

justine
24-Feb-08, 21:14
I came around by the Parish Kirk this morning and again its an absolute disgrace Cars parked on the corners of Kirkhill blocking all visability Double parked cars ..a guy sitting reading a paper in one of them Cars parked opposite where the bus stops making it a narrow one way passage with no visability if a pedestrian was to step out into the road ..a shambles!!
. Why Justine theres a huge car park at the back of the kirk and also it is really dangerous for both drivers and pedestrians even for that hour or so in the morning
If these cars had been parked like that outside a pub then the police would soon move them!! Maybe John Thurso needs to get wind of this one as well
Beeg Hugheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Well then if you find it a problem maybe you could do what i did, send an email to John Thurso and see if he can help...I am doing this because we use the road everyday going to school..I feel then it is my place to take it up with the mp...I will mention it but i dont want to push my luck.....

justine
12-Mar-08, 15:05
I have just recieved a letter concerning the parking...What it basicaly says is the traffic warden will be doing more rounds to make sure things dont get to blocked.....If anyone does have any problems they must lodge a complaint with the police.....I know its not got the job done to make it safer for pedestrians and motorists, but atleast something is being done....I can just hope that we never have to witness an accident because of the over parking.......

JAWS
12-Mar-08, 16:29
Should not be a problem if everybody takes sufficient care. Has there been a history of numerous or serious accidents there?

rob16d
12-Mar-08, 16:30
Justine I'm going to call the police every time I see cars there out of place now!

justine
12-Mar-08, 16:31
Should not be a problem if everybody takes sufficient care. Has there been a history of numerous or serious accidents there?

no..I just think that one day something will happen...Many people do take their life in their hands crossing the street..But unless they complain about it or even find it a problem then it will go on..But hopefully the presence of the traffic warden may keep the parking to a minimum....Hopefully...

justine
12-Mar-08, 16:33
Justine I'm going to call the police every time I see cars there out of place now!

Dont be too over enthusiastic rob..:lol:...Only if you see 30 cars blocking the street,,I think that would do......:D

Julia
12-Mar-08, 16:36

Luckily that should not be too often as you live in Thurso LOL

Personally I'm more than happy to announce I am guilty of parking there, not way out on the street tho', it's very handy for me to nip to the post office or chemist without having to drag the baby down the street in all weathers. I must add too that I have never seen or heard of an accident as a result of the poor parking there, but I do agree that the parking is getting ridiculous. How about the council making proper parking spaces, if they were nose-in jobs you could probably get about 15 cars in that bit out front of the chemist and still have room for cars reversing out?

rob16d
12-Mar-08, 16:40
I think we shud phone the police if 1 car is out of place!

Mclaren
12-Mar-08, 16:42
Your going to need some pair of binoculars to spot the bad parkers from your house rob:lol::lol:

Highland Laddie
12-Mar-08, 16:44
I think we shud phone the police if 1 car is out of place!

And by the 4th or 5th waste of time phone call Rob

we will have a whip round to help pay your fine.:D

horse
12-Mar-08, 16:47
[ How about the council making proper parking spaces, if they were nose-in jobs you could probably get about 15 cars in that bit out front of the chemist and still have room for cars reversing out?[/quote]

Proper parking spaces souldna be a problem there as it is a wide street so thats a very easy solution.There has been double parking there for as long as i can remember and maybe a sugestion to the proper people about parking bays would help

JAWS
12-Mar-08, 17:07
no..I just think that one day something will happen...Many people do take their life in their hands crossing the street..But unless they complain about it or even find it a problem then it will go on..But hopefully the presence of the traffic warden may keep the parking to a minimum....Hopefully...Of course one day something will happen but that argument can be used about almost anything.
If people check that the road is clear before they cross then why should McArthur Street be any different to any other street where there are numerous parked cars in a town. Once you walk past the end of any parked car into the open roadway the dangers are just the same, if there is nothing coming then it is quite safe but if there is and you still continue then you are taking your life into you hands.

In fact, the same can be said about a road where nothing is parked, if you cross in front of moving traffic you are taking your life into your hands to just the same extent.

Your complaint seems quite simply to be that it's the number of cars which park there which you don't like and the alleged possible safety issue is just being used in an attempt to support that contention.

JAWS
12-Mar-08, 17:13
[ How about the council making proper parking spaces, if they were nose-in jobs you could probably get about 15 cars in that bit out front of the chemist and still have room for cars reversing out?

Proper parking spaces souldna be a problem there as it is a wide street so thats a very easy solution.There has been double parking there for as long as i can remember and maybe a sugestion to the proper people about parking bays would helpGood grief, horse, now you are introducing simple common sense as a solution. Haven't you ever been told that such an attitude is totally unacceptable.
Why make an issue go away when you can try to get people into trouble by leaving things as they are? :D

Tighsonas4
12-Mar-08, 20:51
RE PARKING
as part of this parking issue in the town. has anyone noticed in the main street into town at richards garage at times it might as well be single lane traffic???two larger type cars can hardly pass and its more or less a permanent situation. had agt gt grandchild knocked down there a couple of weeks ago. police were involved but the issue remains un solved
regards tony

Julia
12-Mar-08, 21:04
RE PARKING
as part of this parking issue in the town. has anyone noticed in the main street into town at richards garage at times it might as well be single lane traffic???two larger type cars can hardly pass and its more or less a permanent situation. had agt gt grandchild knocked down there a couple of weeks ago. police were involved but the issue remains un solved
regards tony

That bit of road is particularly bad, nobody seems to have a clue about how far they can legally park from a junction, trying to turn right out ofof Loch St onto Francis St is like playing russian roulette

Cinders392
12-Mar-08, 21:13
Now I work in the Pharmacy so have from time to time parked my car outside it but I will try to take the bus from now on and also cut down on my carbon foot print eh? Better to take the bus than have the bobbies at your door![lol]

TBH
13-Mar-08, 11:26
You used to be able to walk across Macarthur street using the cars or was that was using the herring boats to cross the harbour?:confused

angela5
13-Mar-08, 11:40
I will try to take the bus from now on

Good luck!:lol:

rob16d
13-Mar-08, 12:18
Whoever Macathur street was named after would be horified to see how his/her street turned out!

JAWS
13-Mar-08, 14:38
You used to be able to walk across Macarthur street using the cars or was that was using the herring boats to cross the harbour?:confused
I take it you mean that all traffic came to a halt and nothing was able to move?

Whoever Macathur street was named after would be horified to see how his/her street turned out!
Wasn’t it some chap called Thomas Telford who was responsible for that area being built in the early 1800s? I would thing that those involved creating it would be ecstatic that their excellent work was still being made use of and was as popular a place as it appears to be rather than having become a neglected, semi-abandoned dump because nobody shopped there.
I wonder if some would prefer that to happen rather than having the distressing problem of a few parked cars?

TBH
14-Mar-08, 01:24
I take it you mean that all traffic came to a halt and nothing was able to move?
Aye, I think there was a sale on in george harpers.

ashaw1
14-Mar-08, 08:50
I passed by there yesterday just after the traffic warden had been (he was walking down the hill) and there was no difference. 2 cars were double parked.

rob16d
14-Mar-08, 10:16
I passed by there yesterday just after the traffic warden had been (he was walking down the hill) and there was no difference. 2 cars were double parked.

That's ridiculous! he's not doing his job properly!

angela5
14-Mar-08, 10:31

When they see him coming they make a dash for it, as soon as his back is turned their all back parking. He can't be everywhere at once, so to assume he is not doing his job properly is a little unfair.

TBH
14-Mar-08, 11:13
That's ridiculous! he's not doing his job properly!The street is well wide enough for double parking on the chemists side.

horse
14-Mar-08, 11:54
The street is well wide enough for double parking on the chemists side.

i have to agree can't remember it ever realy being a problem. As long as the residents who live there are not inconvenianced.

TBH
14-Mar-08, 13:37
i have to agree can't remember it ever realy being a problem. As long as the residents who live there are not inconvenianced.It has never been a problem as far back as I can remember and pales into insignificance when you think about all the other things we could be worrying about.

ashaw1
14-Mar-08, 16:46
The street is well wide enough for double parking on the chemists side.
Yes! But not if you are the owner of the car stuck on the inside! It's usually double parked on both sides and that is a really bad junction anyway at the end of Breadalbane.

dook
14-Mar-08, 20:02

Why? Tell us exactly what he should do? Then follow that up with what the Law allows him to do..............

TBH
14-Mar-08, 21:15
Yes! But not if you are the owner of the car stuck on the inside! It's usually double parked on both sides and that is a really bad junction anyway at the end of Breadalbane. I would disagree with double parking on the butchers side.

poppett
15-Mar-08, 11:33
Would painted parking bays parallel to the kerbside not help? This was the answer in Edinburgh at a roundabout in the middle of a shopping circle with pedestrian crossings at all the junctions. It works a treat and lets twice as many cars park in the same amount of space.

sids
15-Mar-08, 12:04
These double parking fascist hyenas in their effete motorised chaises-longues have held the whip hand too long already.

Is that street too wide for a Montmartre mob-style barricade at each end and 10-day molotov cocktail riot?

Meet 1st May at the flower shop. BYOB.

Edit: not too early on 1st: I've got to sign on.